2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

Jessica - you need to find a better chart for body fat percentage. 21% BF is in a very fit category. Female professional athletes are in the 15-20% range. You are certainly not in any BF category that requires modification. I'd say that either your measurement method was inaccurate or you really don't need to lose 15-20 pounds. If you were truly that overweight, you wouldn't have that percentage to lose.

I know i'm not OVER weight, But losing 15 lbs wouldn't' put me underweight either, I currently fluctuate around 125 lbs, In high school I was 110, Low body weight for my height and build would be anything lower than 108. I promise I do take care of myself, I just feel a lot better about me when I'm lower than I am now!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tia-I just looked at the pics of your afghan. Wow! That is an ambitious project! It is going to be beautiful!

Yeah! What was I thinking!!! :lol I'm so behind on it. I still don't have the 2nd row attached since I wasn't home much this weekend. I really should be on row 6 by now.

But seriously, I'm having lots of fun with it. It is hard work trying to write out the pattern but it is so rewarding when it is finished.

Unless someone here wants to do it, I'll have it tested in the Design forum when it's ready. (Not the entire afghan, but maybe two rows of 3-4 teardrops each...enough to follow instructions for all parts.)

Congrats to all who lost weight or accomplished any of their goals last week!

If not, this is a new week, last week is over. Try not to dwell on it but press ahead. I so often would start 'dieting' and be good for a few days or a week and then have one bad moment and think "Well, that didn't work out." Then go straight back to my old ways.

It's taken years, but I think I'm slowing breaking myself out of that habit. Two years ago, I spent a spring and a summer losing 30 lbs. Then it took an entire year to gain it back. I sure am praying that doesn't happen again.

I've done pretty good since this past spring at losing steadily. But I've had a lot more support from hubby and now this cal, which has been surprising in just how much motivation it provides.

We should have a motto or something. Anybody have any motivational sayings they like?

I agree Tia, I'm finally starting to buckle down myself. I had a bowl of weight control oatmeal (high fiber/low sugar) this morning with some banana sliced into it, and I actually enjoyed it :) Everyone here has really given me the motivation to get back on track.

I'm slowly making my way through the south beach book, but I do plan to follow it, at least for a while. I'm so happy for you that hubby is supportive! That is so important to success :)

Hmmm... motto suggestions? Here are a couple of nice quotes:

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

---Mary Pickford

"Consult not your fears but your hopes and dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do."

---Pope John XXIII

Or we could go with whimsical...

Looking fine in '09

Crocheting our way to thin/fit/health

Crocheting away the pounds

Corny, I know... but it's all I got right now. :lol

I am still having a really hard time with not smoking..and I am also having difficulty being motivated to do anything, which is unusual for me. I put in a call to my dr this morning to see about maybe starting on some Wellbutrin, which should help with the smoking cessation and also help me shake this depression I seem to be sinking into here. All I managed to do all weekend was eat, cry, and lay around. So we will see what he says.

:hug I hope you are feeling better soon! Several years ago my mother's doctor told her not to try to diet AND quit smoking at the same time. Surprisingly, he suggested the weight loss first, then work on the smoking... anything else is just torturing yourself...

Well, I was stalled in the same spot for 7 weeks even tho I was still being good, but finally I saw some movement this week and have dropped two pounds! :cheer (Gotta love plateau points.) ;)

:woo Way to go! Congrats on stepping off that plateau :clap

Yeah! What was I thinking!!! :lol I'm so behind on it. I still don't have the 2nd row attached since I wasn't home much this weekend. I really should be on row 6 by now.

But seriously, I'm having lots of fun with it. It is hard work trying to write out the pattern but it is so rewarding when it is finished.

Unless someone here wants to do it, I'll have it tested in the Design forum when it's ready. (Not the entire afghan, but maybe two rows of 3-4 teardrops each...enough to follow instructions for all parts.)

I wouldn't mind testing a couple of short rows for you... I'm wondering how it would look as a bag... :think

Jessica, I added the Learn to Knit afghan to the list. Have you picked colors yet?

April, that'd be great if you wanted to start testing my Blood, Sweat & Tears pattern! Just pm me if you have any questions or see a problem with the way it's written or something. A bag or purse would work, that's a great idea. Thanks! :hug

Edited to say I like your quotes April. How about Stitching to Lose.... Hooking for Health. :lol...or Stitch 'n Fit.

Edited by Tia

Well, I was stalled in the same spot for 7 weeks even tho I was still being good, but finally I saw some movement this week and have dropped two pounds! :cheer (Gotta love plateau points.) ;)

:yay Yay! Glad to hear that!

Hello. I was bad last weekend. I gained back 3 lbs. Ah well, it happened.

I don't touch my afghan. Now I'm thinking about changing patterns.

I will let you know when I'm ready,Tia.

I haven't been on the computer in a while. Just had one of those weekends that I just didn't feel like getting on the darn thing even though I knew there would be pages to read from this thing! But.... The reason that draws me to post... I lost three pounds! I know last week I was leery of the two pound weight loss but it looks like it was for real. I "owned" my weight! AND I cleaned the apartment for 3 hours last night, which counts as exercise in my book since I was moving around the entire time. So, now I get 15 weight loss squares and 3 exercise squares! YAY!! :cheer

Sorry to hear you are struggling Diane. Maybe a change in the pattern is just what you need. Pick an afghan that you just have to have.

Are you doing an exercise 'ghan? I picked one that I love and that's helping to motivate me to exercise, which for me is a must if I'm going to lose weight.

:clapCongratulations to all on your weight loss....May it NEVER be found!:lol

I Love all the inspiratrion and motivation that is shared on this site.

Thank you everyone.:hug

It's great to have the support of each and everyone of you.

It's o.k. if you've gained....you just have to keep on going! Beating yourself up over it will NOT help. You're not alone.:ghug

April, that'd be great if you wanted to start testing my Blood, Sweat & Tears pattern! Just pm me if you have any questions or see a problem with the way it's written or something. A bag or purse would work, that's a great idea. Thanks! :hug

Edited to say I like your quotes April. How about Stitching to Lose.... Hooking for Health. :lol...or Stitch 'n Fit.

I'll let you know when I get some of the motifs done. I have several projects I'm trying to finish up and get in the mail this week, so hopefully this weekend. :)

I like you're sayings too... especially "Hooking for Health!" :)

:clapCongratulations to all on your weight loss....May it NEVER be found!:lol

I Love all the inspiratrion and motivation that is shared on this site.

Thank you everyone.:hug

It's great to have the support of each and everyone of you.

It's o.k. if you've gained....you just have to keep on going! Beating yourself up over it will NOT help. You're not alone.:ghug

I couldn't agree more! I'm off to a slow start, but I'm hanging in there. I truly need to get motivated with the exercise! That's gonna be what it's all about for me... the dieting just isn't doing it :(

Hi everyone. I'm still here. Still smoke free. Finished the baby set for my cousin, and the little girl dressed like a flower amigurumi too. stayed home from work today. it's like -30 degrees here with the windchill, and i just couldnt face going outside today.

Today being the 13th, I owe myself 13 squares. I was going to do the sampler afghan from the lion brand website, but i am thinking about switching too. I think i want to make myself a ghan in valentine colors...

keep up the good work everyone!!!

I'm averaging every other day on my walking. Seven times since the first.

DH gave me half an acre for Christmas that used to be a rhody farm. Imagine half an acre with 15' -20' rhodies on it spaced three feet apart.:eek

I've been spending a couple of hours a day crawling around in there cutting off dead limbs, dealing with monster blackberries and getting lots of stretching, dodging, weaving exercise. Can I count that for my afghan? Please??:yes

Kellie - The christmas gift sound so awesome! Sure, it counts! Any kind of excerise counts. :yes

During the lunch break, I went to the Half Price bookstore. I found an old crochet pattern book for 3 bucks! :eek I fell in love with a pattern in it. Unfortunately, there was a long line. So I will go back to the store in about half a hour (when my work end for the day). Can't wait to get it. :cheer

Once I got my hands on it, I will let you know what I will do for the afghan.

Congrats on the losses everyone!

Kellie- definitely count the yard work for your afghan. I'm getting hives at the thought of that many rhodies. Picking up the sticky dead flowers was a punishment when I was younger... a lot. :lol

Edited by sharlaelizabeth

Congrats to all of the losers so far this week!

Also to that got their exercise in and to not smoking.... whoohoo!!!

Well, I am up this week .6. Not alot so I can't complain too much because it could have been worse since it is that TOM.

I have to count out my exercise minutes to see how many squares I get to make. They open up a gym in the bldg where I work and I am loving it! Also once I start losing again I am will 5 squares per pound not sure if I said that before.

Well, everyone have wonderful day!

DH gave me half an acre for Christmas that used to be a rhody farm. Imagine half an acre with 15' -20' rhodies on it spaced three feet apart.:eek

Kellie, I had to Google rhody...do you mean rhododendron? If so, I love them, but I didn't think they got that big. What will you do with it?

Oh, yes, they do get that big if they like the conditions! I have one that came with my house 12 years ago that we call "Jabba"... It's a good 12 feet now. Every couple of years I go in there with my loppers and cut off the underside branches so that it grows upright more in a teardrop shape instead of a big fat blob. The look really attractive when you can see the bow of the underside branches and the trunk... I can find a pic somewhere if you'd like to see?