2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

I need some motivation for losing weight (who doesn't!:lol).

So I thought I'd make a Weight Loss Afghan to chart my progress and then I'll have it to enjoy for years to come as a reminder of my accomplishment.

Beginning Jan. 1, here's what I'm going to do. I have decided I want to lose 70 lbs. in 2009. I will do a section of my desired afghan pattern for each 5 lbs. lost. Or maybe every pound....I haven't picked the pattern yet.

Here are some ideas of how this could work for you:

Let's say you want to lose 50 lbs. and you have a ripple afghan you'd like to work on that is 150 rows. Simply do 3 rows for each lb. you lose.

Or you could make a square for every 5 or 10 lbs. you lose.

If you have just a few lbs. to lose, maybe a throw would be a better size for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To join, just post your desire to make your own Weight Loss Afghan and the pattern are thinking of using.

You DO NOT have to post the number of lbs. you are wanting to lose.

Who wants to join me?!

Sassy - Tumbling Blocks Afghan (pdf)

almoreland - Yo-yo Afghan

losingmymind2 -

econ-nerd - Crochet Dude's Monet Afghan (pdf)

kittyloverdeb - Grecian Tiles Afghan

Pumpkinmouse -

homesteadingwife - Prairie Star Afghan

smith - Grecian Tiles Afghan

Faith - Pansy Afghan

krazy-kitty - Knitted Shaker Style Throw (bottom right pic).

sharlaelizabeth - Granny Square Afghan

Knitwit47 - Rail Fence (Quilt Afghan)

happy stitcher - Hexagon Afghan & Floral Fiesta Afghan

Krystal16 - Grandmother's Lace Afghan (ravelry link)

WendySue -

ktornatola - Granny Square Afghan

Everyday Crochet - Hexagon Afghan

kiwikitti - Kaleidoscope Afghan

reneeb - Ripple Afghan (Sage)

tahlara - Diagonal Tiles Afghan

SheffnJerri - Fall Leaves Afghan

Gardener - 63 Squares Afghan

Leslie -

Minerva76 - 63 Squares Afghan

Scorpio59 - Mile-A-Minute Afghan

mamabear272 - Hexagon Afghan

angelsmith52 - Blood Sweat & Tears Afghan

Nikka hotpinkpixy -

likerussell -

cheeria - Blushing Grannies Afghan

sunflowermom1972 -

grannyzkraftz - Hexagon Afghan

HannahMae -

Arlinka - Brain Dead Afghan

Madame Margaret - Granny Square Afghan

ch2crochet - Granny Square Afghan

crocrazy - Irish Chain Afghan (2nd on list: Double Irish Chain)

ngold004 - Granny Square Afghan

bigfunfam - Frilly Flower Afghan

Jozzie - Dishcloths

keeperofthehome4 - Galaxy Afghan

home'scoolmama -

KellieD - Katchkan's Winter Dreams Capelet

OwlEyez - Circles to Squares Afghan

ginamarie73 - Crochet Motif II: 'Granny Stitch' Hexagon

ajandbellasmom - Crohet Cable Aghan

jojo9 - Granny Square Quilt Afghan

stargazingirly - Learn to Knit afghan

q8 crochet - Striped Afghan

jelepe75 - Hot Chocolate Afghan

candy4271 -

MMWalker - Yo-Yo Afghan

Jempast - Roseanne's Afghan

PassthePeace1 - Starbright Afghan

PLSargent - Crochet Moffit Granny Stitch Hexagon

Crochet Crone - Floral Fiesta Afghan

Yarnbunny - Yo-yo Afghan

rachael -

darkrose -

Tinamah - Butterfly Afghan

~Kel~

carla-brenda's legacy - Make a Joyful Noise quilt

sunshine9807 - Daisy Charity Square Afghan

neselv -

kraftynkrazy - Scrofbea Afghan

stitchaywoman -

Julie B in WA - Kaleidoscope Afghan (ravelry)

Tia -Handspun Sweater, Blood, Sweat & Tears Afghan

Edited by Tia

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an interesting idea, I will join you on this.

I will do some thinking on how I want to do my afghan. I might do a square with a popcorn stitched number each week with the number of pounds lost.

Oh my, this sounds so very interesting. And boy I really need all the encouragement I can get when it comes to weight loss! AND I've really been wanting to do a yo-yo ghan for myself... I think that would lend itself very well to this project.

If my calculations are correct I can make 10 yo-yos for each pound lost. 75 lbs = 750 yo-yos :eek

I think I'm in on this one :yes

Ohhh I think this might be a good idea. But my question - do we have to frog rows if we gain any back? :lol

Actually I think I will make myself a sweater in my goal size. I have the yarn and pattern for the Lilliana Pineapple Jacket http://www.gourmetcrochet.com/index_files/Page563.htm

I think it will look better on me when I am smaller. I'll have to work out how much needs to be made for how many pounds. Or maybe make it in the smaller size and keep trying it on til it fits nicely and looks good :think

Welcome all! :hug

I'm so glad I'm going to have some company with this. :yay

Lol at frogging if you gain weight :lol. I don't think I'd do that, but maybe just put it on hold until you catch up and then start losing again. I.e. wait until you've re-lost those lbs. AND have lost more before continuing.

Econ-nerd - a sweater is a great idea! Something to look forward into fitting you. :yes

What an AWESOME idea! Wish I would have thought of it! I think I will do squares...maybe one for every pound I want to lose? That may be a bit much...maybe for every 5 lbs? Not sure yet but I can't wait to get going on this! This will be something that can be an "anchor" to help me in achieving my goal. I may even bring this up at my next WW meeting! Thank you for starting this CAL. :hug

Welcome Deb :hug.

I can't wait to see what patterns everyone is using. I'm still trying to decide. A yo-yo 'ghan is an excellent idea, but the thought of putting all those together :eek. Maybe this is just the boost I need to make one.

How big is the 750 yo-yo 'ghan?

Welcome Deb :hug.

I can't wait to see what patterns everyone is using. I'm still trying to decide. A yo-yo 'ghan is an excellent idea, but the thought of putting all those together :eek. Maybe this is just the boost I need to make one.

How big is the 750 yo-yo 'ghan?

It'll be about 60 x 53 inches... there is another pattern that I might consider that spaces them out more to make more of a coverlet... that one will fit the top of a king size bed! LOL The coverlet is here. (Scroll to the bottom.) And the other one is a Priscilla Hewitt pattern so unfortunately I can't provide a link, but it looks very much like a "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt. Both of them are join-as-you-go so it won't really be too bad putting them all together. Just alot of ends to weave in... but if I'm doing just a few at a time it won't be too bad... :hook

I think I'll join in, maybe after the holiday's. LOL That way I can really start to lose the weight, without the guilt of eating fudge and cookies. LOL Wait a minute, I'll have to join after my birthday in January. My husband always make me Sweet and Sour Pork for my birthday dinner along with egg rolls and my cake is always Pineapple Upside Down cake. So after January 3rd, I'll start on my weight loss mission. LOL

I already know what I want to make, but I'll have to get the yarn for the project. I'll have to figure out how many I can make for each pound or 5 pounds. And one good thing about this, is it something that won't be worked on all the time. so other projects can come in as well.

Here is my choice:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1295+Prairie+Star.htm

I will be changing the color scheme. I haven't figured out the color scheme I want just yet, but I'll get that done. So I can get my yarn.

Good Luck!!

Lynn

:c9 What a great idea!!

I an thinking about the Grecian Tiles from Happy Yellow House here

http://happyyellowhouse.com/htm/tiles.html

It's 80 tiles total, 2 pounds per tile would put me just about goal.....3 more pounds of yarn, dh will be overjoyed. :lol

Welcome Lynn and smith and Maryann :manyheart. Those are beautiful patterns.

I am working on creating a pattern for this CAL. I took a yo-yo and adding a few sts, turned it into a teardrop shape. I still need to figure out how to put them together. But I thought making one teardrop for each lb. lost would be a great representation of all the blood, sweat and tears that went into losing that lb.

I will call it the Blood, Sweat & Tears Afghan. :lol :lol :lol

Edited by Tia

This is exactly the kind of motivation I need! Not to mention a good way to reward myself while watching tv in the evening without undoing all my hardwork. :yes

My goal is to lose 50 lbs in 2009. I've selected this beautiful Pansy Afghan and will complete one hexagon for each pound lost in 2009. http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/WR1006+Crochet+Pansy+Afghan.htm

I'm ready to start January 1st :hook

Welcome Lynn and smith :manyheart. Those are beautiful patterns.

I am working on creating a pattern for this CAL. I took a yo-yo and adding a few sts, turned it into a teardrop shape. I still need to figure out how to put them together. But I thought making one teardrop for each lb. lost would be a great representation of all the blood, sweat and tears that went into losing that lb.

I will call it the Blood, Sweat & Tears Afghan. :lol :lol :lol

:lol too funny!

I was thinking about using one the the Caron Natural colors. Does anyone know how they wash up? Weight size compared to Redheart? I was thinking with this extra pounds gone, I'll need something warm and natural to wrap up in to keep my skinny little body warm.

:c9 What a great idea!!

I an thinking about the Grecian Tiles from Happy Yellow House here

http://happyyellowhouse.com/htm/tiles.html

It's 80 tiles total, 2 pounds per tile would put me just about goal.....3 more pounds of yarn, dh will be overjoyed. :lol

I love that pattern! Mind if I maybe use it as well? But I somehow want to be able to incorporate the year and total pounds lost somehow...maybe on another square? Hmmm....not certain yet. I have been on WW since July so I think I will start with the pounds that I have already lost. Maybe I'll do a combination of the happy yellow house squares and solid ones where I can add the year, etc...

WOW Faith!! That's a awesome ghan!

go for it Deb! It doesn't bother me in the least! I figured the olympians work so hard for a chance at the prize at the end and well, we WILL get a prize at the end.

What a realy neat idea, I had planned to start ww again in the new year and get back in a routine using my wii fit.

I was also planning on making another blanket/throw for myself, so this would be the ideal cal.

My weight loss goal is -35lbs

Not sure what pattern I will do yet, I might even try knitting again and make the blanket in my magazine I get each month.

Will we post our weight loss on a certain day like Fridays and have all our results in the 1st post?

That might be a good insentive and motivation, as long as we all dont mind, not our weight, but what we have lost and how many squares etc..

Ohhh I think this might be a good idea. But my question - do we have to frog rows if we gain any back? :lol

:lol I was thinking the same thing.

What a realy neat idea, I had planned to start ww again in the new year and get back in a routine using my wii fit.

I was also planning on making another blanket/throw for myself, so this would be the ideal cal.

My weight loss goal is -35lbs

Not sure what pattern I will do yet, I might even try knitting again and make the blanket in my magazine I get each month.

Will we post our weight loss on a certain day like Fridays and have all our results in the 1st post?

That might be a good insentive and motivation, as long as we all dont mind, not our weight, but what we have lost and how many squares etc..

:lol I was thinking the same thing.

Welcome krazy-kitty! :hug

Some may not feel comfortable posting how much they've lost and if someone hasn't lost anything that week, they might feel bad to have to post a zero. Of course, everyone is free to post those things when and if they wish and, hopefully, lots of pics of the progress on their afghan/sweater etc. How does everyone else feel about a Friday weigh in?

I like your idea of keeping a running list on the original post. I could list everyone's username, the pattern they are doing and then update the list with a big 'Completed', the date they finished and possibly a link to the pic.

Edited by Tia

Welcome krazy-kitty! :hug

Some may not feel comfortable posting how much they've lost and if someone hasn't lost anything that week, they might feel bad to have to post a zero. Of course, everyone is free to post those things when and if they wish and, hopefully, lots of pics of the progress on their afghan/sweater etc. How does everyone else feel about a Friday weigh in?

I like your idea of keeping a running list on the original post. I could list everyone's username, the pattern they are doing and then update the list with a big 'Completed', the date they finished and possibly a link to the pic.

I understand that people may not want to post their weight lost, as it can be a bit dissapointing if you gain or stay the same, just a thought though.

Also, when I have been on diets before I have put money in a jar or money box. I usually put in £1 for every lb lost, that way, when you reach your target weight, you have money to treat yourself to new clothes, pamper yourself, or even buy yarn:devil

Other things I did, was to keep a journal, food intake, took some photo's of myself and measurements, and update them on a regular basis.

Even if you dont lose lb's you may lose inches:)

Better dig out all my old ww stuff and get working on meal ideas, I drink loads of Dr Pepper, so will have to try and cut that down a little. Have a few food alergies as well, so I need to plan my meals carefully.

It would be nice to share tips and recipies as well.

I really need this motivation and support, I start diets and only last about 6 months at the most and give up, change of life style is what I need and a kick up the backside.:lol