2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

Thanks krazy-kitty, those are neat ideas. I'm glad you reminded me to take measurements.

I love Dr. Pepper too, and lots of other sodas. But I found a great way to enjoy a healthier carbonated drink. I now mix 100% fruit juices (no sugar added) half and half with Perrier to make my own sparkling juices. Yummy!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm motivated!! Count me in..I just mentioned this to DH and he grinned and nodded. I interpret it as a "go for it" I'd like to lose 40 lbs. Now for a project..I just purchased Leisure Arts Artsy Afghans. I'm thinking the postage stamp pattern will be perfect!!

This is wonderful ..I can work on getting Healthy again, and use up my stash !!Thanks for a GREAT idea!!

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo155/Knitwit47/postagestamp-2.jpg

Mary

Edited by Knitwit47
link to picture

I'm in!

I'll have to give some thought to what pattern I want to use.

I had already decided to make myself some afghans this year and I've been doing Weight Watchers for about 6 weeks, so this will work out great!

I've actually got a WIP that I haven't touched in a long time. That might work for this. I'll have to get it out, count squares, and see how I can work it out.

Thanks for the idea! Maybe I'll get that WIP done this year! :lol

Ohhh I think this might be a good idea. But my question - do we have to frog rows if we gain any back? :lol

:lol TOOO FUNNY!!!

I've actually got a WIP that I haven't touched in a long time. That might work for this. I'll have to get it out, count squares, and see how I can work it out.

Oh, I hadn't thought of doing one of my WIPs for this... that is a good idea. I'll join in and do my "Grandmother's Lace" afghan that I have started. It's hexagonal motifs, and I think I have about 70-something of 178 or so. My last weigh-in put me at about 30 pounds off of my goal weight. Although I'm not sure where exactly my goal will be. I weigh in on WW on Tuesdays and have no scale at home, so Tuesday will have to be my day to post.

This is an awesome idea. Thanks for starting it!

If anyone is looking for ideas of how to lose weight, I highly recommend either WW meetings or the South Beach diet. Both are very healthy and encourage lifestyle changes, not "dieting". I have done better on WW than I expected - going to the meetings and keeping track of my food really does get me to lose weight. My problem comes when I stop keeping track (like the last two days). :sigh This is just that little boost I need, though!

OK, how funny is this?

I just looked at my Grandmother's Lace Afghan and it has a total of 176 motifs and I've done 86. I wanted to lose "approximately" 30 more pounds. My remaining motifs? 90!!! Perfectly divisible.

So, I will do 3 motifs every time I lose a pound! My starting weight is 149. Keep in mind I'm only 5'0" and not a very large frame. While 119 might sound low to some, it's actually smack in the middle of the suitable weight for my age/height.

Welcome Knitwit47, happy stitcher, Krystal16, WendySue :clap.

You all have been added to the list in the original post.

happy stitcher, what is the name of the afghan wip you're going to finish?

I'm motivated!! Count me in..I just mentioned this to DH and he grinned and nodded. I interpret it as a "go for it" I'd like to lose 40 lbs. Now for a project..I just purchased Leisure Arts Artsy Afghans. I'm thinking the postage stamp pattern will be perfect!!

This is wonderful ..I can work on getting Healthy again, and use up my stash !!Thanks for a GREAT idea!!

Mary

Ohhhh....I like the looks of that book! Where did you buy it at? I can't get started on my squares until I finished this dad-gummed Green Bay Packer afghan for my hubby! I'm so sick of it!

If anyone is looking for ideas of how to lose weight, I highly recommend either WW meetings or the South Beach diet. Both are very healthy and encourage lifestyle changes, not "dieting". I have done better on WW than I expected - going to the meetings and keeping track of my food really does get me to lose weight. My problem comes when I stop keeping track (like the last two days). :sigh This is just that little boost I need, though!

I know this is unsolicited advice, so feel free to ignore me if you want. ;)

That said, I agree with Krystal about the South Beach diet. I've been doing it since Aug 31st, and I've lost over 16 lbs!! :eek I must be honest that I'm pretty sedentary too. The first two weeks are pretty rough in my opinion. We ate a LOT of salads those two weeks, but you probably would want to go with soups as its cold now. Have lots of low-fat, high protein snacks too. Once those first two weeks are up it gets a lot easier.

As for keeping on track with any diet, I'd highly recommend buying a cheap pocket-sized daily planner and writing _everything_ you eat in it. It's amazing how much better I behave about my food when I have to write it down.

Oh, one last thing. This may sound odd, but I replaced sugar in my drinks with agave nectar. I can't eat sugar substitutes due to allergies. I think it helped because it sweetens but is low on the glycemic index and so doesn't spike your blood sugar levels.

Good luck, I know you all can do this!!! :)

Edited by Lady_of_Roses
Forgot to add something. =)

Thank you Lady of Roses. I think we can all agree here that we'll welcome all the unsolicited advice offered! :lol

I too try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, not really allergic, but have had bad experiences with both major brands.

I too buy agave nectar...YUM! And orange blossom honey. The agave nectar will dissolve even in cold drinks...perfect for my summertime iced coffees. I use the honey in my hot teas. Otherwise I use organic raw sugar.

I just saw the commercial for Truvia (natural sweetener from the Stevia plant) Anybody tried it yet?

:faint I just purchased my yarn.....caron spa/country is currently on-sale at Joann's on-line. I never spent so much on yarn in my life! Well, I suppose I'll need something nice and warm to cuddle my skinny little body in, eh?

Mary

That's a beautiful pattern!

:faint I just purchased my yarn.....caron spa/country is currently on-sale at Joann's on-line. I never spent so much on yarn in my life! Well, I suppose I'll need something nice and warm to cuddle my skinny little body in, eh?

Yes, and you'll be working hard to earn a beautiful blanket!!

I think this is an awesome idea and I would like to join in as well. I'm going to have to do some looking for the pattern that I would like to do though. I've got some ideas but I'll need to narrow them down.

And a shout out to my fellow WW peeps. **hugs**

This? http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2843&PRODID=xprd561165

That looks scrumptious! Which color?

Edited by Tia

:c9 deep purple!!! I had such a hard time deciding.

Everyday Crochet....are you doing the new WW plan? I just signed up and am trying to plan things out.

All right. I've been wanting to lose that extra 150 lb for a while. So, while that's a bit adventurous for 2009 only, (I figure 2 a week is healthy, so that's the mini goal. And that will take 75 weeks with everything going perfect, but we all know that never happens!) But, this will be an awesome way to track everything. Also, the nice thing is that I know I'll have lots of support for you guys :hug and the same back at you!

time to rejoin WW. I actually did really well the month I was on it last year and felt awesome! But no use dwelling on past mistakes, so time to make this time count!

I'm going to be doing a granny-style scrap ghan that looks like a quilt. As soon as I find an exact picture of what I mean, I'll post it. Figure this will also help my stashbusting. That stash could stand to lose a few extra pounds! :lol

http://handcraftingwithlove.blogspot.com/2006/06/scrap-quilt-top.html Like this one. Just a fun colorful pretty afghan quilt

Edited by kiwikitti