2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to do it in scraps. I figure have enough around here to get it done. I'm not sure what the unifying color is going to be. Pink probably!! Edged in different shades of pink maybe? It is my favorite color and this will be an afghan dedicated towards me!

Also, I figured 2-3 squares per pound. Can't decide that exact number yet. All I know is I plan on it being HUGE! After all, when I'm all slimmed down, I won't have my protective layer keeping me warm. :D Also, I figure this is a good one to just make it as big as you need it.

I'm going to be doing a granny-style scrap ghan that looks like a quilt. As soon as I find an exact picture of what I mean, I'll post it. Figure this will also help my stashbusting. That stash could stand to lose a few extra pounds! :lol

http://handcraftingwithlove.blogspot.com/2006/06/scrap-quilt-top.html Like this one. Just a fun colorful pretty afghan quilt

Check out this website, Cara has loads of blankets that look like quilts.

http://happyyellowhouse.com/

As for keeping on track with any diet, I'd highly recommend buying a cheap pocket-sized daily planner and writing _everything_ you eat in it. It's amazing how much better I behave about my food when I have to write it down.

:)

When I tried losing weight last year. I lost 13 pounds during that time. And still most of it is off. Anyway, I made a chart and counted my calories. Which really helped me out a lot. I also, made a chart for my weight loss. And would write that down on the chart in the bathroom, which was really encouraging cause I could actually keep count of the pounds lost. And could see it in writing. I also only weighed myself once a week. My husband started dieting during that time and would check his self daily, which got him very discouraged. I hid the scales on him, except once a week. And he could see the results from week to week.

Get out those water bottles. I'll be using the Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVD. I'll start out with a mile a day and work my way up to 6 miles. Slowly work my way up.

Has anyone used those Mini-Stepper's that Wal-Mart carries? I saw them at WallyWorld and wondered if they were any good. I thought if they were, I'd try to get one.

Hugs,

Lynn

Lynn...that reminds me, we have comcast cable and they have exercise video for free, several walking ones, areobics, yoga and tips/tricks. They change every so often for varitey.

Count me in! I really need to lose some weight. I spent two days in the hospital a few weeks ago because I thought I was having a heart attack at work so they rushed me to the ER. Doctor told me to lose weight and take better care of my health. I plan to use a afghan kit that I bought from Hershnerrs. It is the ripple afghan that looks like it is in layers. I love it and so I bought it and never started it. This will be the perfect incentive to work on it.

Great idea!!!

Renee

Count me in! I really need to lose some weight. I spent two days in the hospital a few weeks ago because I thought I was having a heart attack at work so they rushed me to the ER. Doctor told me to lose weight and take better care of my health. I plan to use a afghan kit that I bought from Hershnerrs. It is the ripple afghan that looks like it is in layers. I love it and so I bought it and never started it. This will be the perfect incentive to work on it.

Great idea!!!

Renee

Is it a kit on one of these pages?

I'd like to join too. I want to make one of the 63 squares afghans by Leisure Arts. I have both this leaflet:

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Crochet-Pattern-Stitches-Leisure/dp/1574866346

and this one:

http://www.spinblessing.com/item.php?art=028906021462

I may mix and match some squares from each one. I plan to make a square for each two pound loss.

Where is the weight watcher thread? I am planning on going back to ww- that plan helps me get on track and focus on eating healthy and to get some exercise.SinceI went back to work 3 months ago-I have been eating so much junk my clothes barely fit....

Anyhow,I will look at some of my patterns and decide what to make

!! Leslie

I am definitely in. :hook I, too, have recently joined Weight Watchers and am in need of a little motivation. I'm not sure what pattern I will do yet...maybe one of the 63 squares afghans. I started that once, but had a devil of a time getting all the squares the sames size. I may just pick some other squares to fill in, but I'm thinking 63 is a good number. Or maybe something reminiscent of an Amish quilt. I dunno...gotta think about it. I plan to go through all of my crochet stuff and organize it. I have the next two weeks off from work, so it will be a great time to do it.

Do we have an official start date?

Will Jan 2nd be our official start weigh-in? That would mean Jan 9 would be the first weight loss day weigh-in.

Tomorrow I go looking for yarn and I still have to come up with a pattern. I might just create my own as I go.

Welcome Gardener, Leslie & Minerva76! :hug

I will add you all to the list when I get home.

We start on Jan. 1. But I think someone mentioned starting from what they've lost in the last couple months. That is fine. I think I'll do that too. That way my 'ghan will represent all my weight loss.

No hard and fast rules here guys, do what is best for YOU.

Welcome Gardener, Leslie & Minerva76! :hug

I will add you all to the list when I get home.

We start on Jan. 1. But I think someone mentioned starting from what they've lost in the last couple months. That is fine. I think I'll do that too. That way my 'ghan will represent all my weight loss.

No hard and fast rules here guys, do what is best for YOU.

Ok thanks. I just wondered because it was mentioned that maybe Friday would be the weigh-in day.

I have been holding steady at the same weight for about 2 weeks now so will start with that weight and go from there.

I am very excited to get this project going. :clap

I have deceided what Iam going to make, it's a knitted shaker style throw. it is made up of 90 squares.

If I do 1 square for each 1/2 ib lost I will have 70 squares once I reach my goal weight, so that leaves me 20 left to make, I have made 1 already (made when I 1st started collecting the magazine, last Jan) and will start making some more.

I don't like the mustard colour, so gonna subsitute it for a colour in the scandonavain throw.

Here is the link for the magazine and it's the throw in the bottom right corner.

http://www.artofknitting.co.uk/index.html

Welcome krazy-kitty! :hug

How does everyone else feel about a Friday weigh in?

I'd like to suggest that we all just weigh in on whatever day we usually weigh, or whatever day (a consistant day) we choose. I know the people who have been doing WW already have their days ingrained into their schedules. Mine is Thursday, for example.

happy stitcher, what is the name of the afghan wip you're going to finish?

It doesn't have a name, just something I've worked up....I haven't even pulled it out and figured out if it will work yet....but it's a wool hexagonal motif.....

Where is the weight watcher thread?

Here it is! Weight Watchers Support Thread

This is going to be fun!

I'm glad you suggested it, Tia!

:clap

Tia - My opinion with regard to Friday being weigh-in day. For those of us that do Weight Watchers, we have designated weigh-in days already. I don't personally own a scale, so weighing a different day would be impossible. Those people who weigh at home could use Friday as their designated weigh-in day, though.

Personally, in the WW thread, it's a bit of a motivator to hear someone weigh-in on a different day - it keeps up my spirits. :yes

Tia - My opinion with regard to Friday being weigh-in day. For those of us that do Weight Watchers, we have designated weigh-in days already. I don't personally own a scale, so weighing a different day would be impossible. Those people who weigh at home could use Friday as their designated weigh-in day, though.

Personally, in the WW thread, it's a bit of a motivator to hear someone weigh-in on a different day - it keeps up my spirits. :yes

I agree....weigh-in when it's best for us...or we can do like ktornatola just did and post the progress on our 'ghan...I think that's what I'll do. That way there will be progress reports coming in constantly! (it's good to be optimistic :D)