2009 Stashbusting CAL

basjordan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok so I managed to use up some yarn for my scarf and I made it into a ball so +1 for me even though I have 2 balls of yarn from the dollar store to use so -2 there but I'm working on making a dent in my stash

I am just curious about this... Does your dollar store sell you partial skeins of yarn?

I am just curious about this... Does your dollar store sell you partial skeins of yarn?

hmmm that one I'm not sure on all I know is that the yarn I got is 70m/77yds net wt 50g/1.75oz so is that a skein or a ball good question darski so maybe that was a skein I got and not a ball oh well because Bernat's Haven is soft and easy for me to work with so if it's a partial skein would that be considered -2 just curious

It's a skein. From what I understand if it is yarn purchased or given to you in a whole skein it is a skein and counts 2 points. Sizes vary from what you purchased to 16 oz skeins and they are all 2 points no matter the size.

When you use a portion of the skein and roll the rest in a ball you get +1 point then when you use the ball that you just rolled to make something you will get another +1 point

see here

hmmm that one I'm not sure on all I know is that the yarn I got is 70m/77yds net wt 50g/1.75oz so is that a skein or a ball good question darski so maybe that was a skein I got and not a ball oh well because Bernat's Haven is soft and easy for me to work with so if it's a partial skein would that be considered -2 just curious

I have a lot of skeins that are 50g/1.75 oz. That seems to be a standard size for many types of yarn.

I'll have to check my local dollar stores, never thought about them selling yarn.:think

I got my yarn in the mail today. One of them anyway. So that's -2 for me but I'll get that back tonight cause I'm almost done with a skein on my ripple.

3196724453_82f599f5c0_m.jpg

pic is clickable

It's a skein. From what I understand if it is yarn purchased or given to you in a whole skein it is a skein and counts 2 points. Sizes vary from what you purchased to 16 oz skeins and they are all 2 points no matter the size.

When you use a portion of the skein and roll the rest in a ball you get +1 point then when you use the ball that you just rolled to make something you will get another +1 point

see here

Which is why those of us who use one pound skeins or work with thread usually have very low scores, because it takes so dang long to use them up! :hook

And all those little leftover balls I used up last week? My mother just gave me hers. So much for cleaning up that shelf and using up yarn and adding up points. <sigh>

Patty

Dang it! Why do I have to get great ideas for projects that I'm ALWAYS one color short for? I went to WalMart to get groceries and a couple skeins of yarn...some how the couple skeins I picked up brought 8 friends with them! :eek -20 for today :( ... same as the temp is supposed to be tonight. :wbrr

I got my yarn in the mail today. One of them anyway. So that's -2 for me but I'll get that back tonight cause I'm almost done with a skein on my ripple.

pic is clickable

what a yummy yarn! definately worth the 2 points!

I'm dying to get to a yarn store, but it's not in my budget until next week. I can wait . . . I can work with what I have . . . Maybe start something with my stash! I can wait . .

Hehe! I managed to use up 3 more balls on the neighbor girl's afghan today, and I balled up 3 of the skeins I got today so I could start using them tonight! +6!

While looking for my double point needles to make mittens, I found I found an old UFO, I no longer wanted it so I rolled it into a ball, turned out to be two skeins worth....so I am at -4 so far for the week. :lol Never did find the needles (had to go out and purchase new ones ~ love the addi turbo's)

Still working on the mittens and busting through my stash. :hook

pic is clickable

Wow what kind of yarn is this it looks wonderful

I know this. I usually use RHSS 7oz skeins because I can afford them more then others!!! I guess my score this year will be low also!! That's ok, I would rather have a lower score and fewer ends to tuck!!!!!!!!!!:D

I don't have anyone to give me their left over balls of yarn. Sorry to hear that you just got more!

Which is why those of us who use one pound skeins or work with thread usually have very low scores, because it takes so dang long to use them up! :hook

And all those little leftover balls I used up last week? My mother just gave me hers. So much for cleaning up that shelf and using up yarn and adding up points. <sigh>

Patty

OK.. I used up most of 2 skeins today and got to roll the rest into a ball. Sooo. I get to add another 2 points to my score!! I am going to use the balls for a scarf in the next few weeks to I will be able to count them soon!!!!!!!

Just finished up a skein of yarn working on a baby blanket. :crocheting First real crocheting I've gotten done this week. My husband thought to bring my crocheting to me in the hospital (I had "unexpected" gallbladder surgery), but they put the IV in my right hand! :blush I couldn't do anything with it!

Wow what kind of yarn is this it looks wonderful

It's Gossamer Silk Lace from The Fiber Denn. The color is Hematite. I got it off Etsy. I knew it was going to be small but it's even smaller than I expected so I have no idea what I'm going to make with it yet. It's my first time to buy a nicer yarn so I splurged a little. Got two more skeins of sock yarn coming, too. :hook

Just finished off a skein on my ripple so +2 for tonight! I'm about to start a few baby hats for Knit One, Save One so I should have a couple more skeins down soon.

Well the 19 skeins of yarn I ordered finally arrived so that's -38, but I finished 3 RH skeins on the scrap baby ghan I've been working on, so my adjusted score so far this week is down to -32 :( That's OK though, I should use it up in no time. That's the plan anyhow. :D

I'm so excited to try out the new yarn that I can't sleep. How bad is that? :hyper

see here

thanks dilyca2006 for the help since I'm still new to this stashbusting thing now I got another skein of yarn so that's another -2 so far my total for this week will probably end up being -16+-2 ok so negative -18 so far working on the yarn

Your GROCERY STORE sells yarn??? I struggle to find yarn at WalMart!!

I would have to move. :rofl

Yup, they sell yarn. Redheart only at the moment. But, my 4-H-ers and I are thinking about asking them to stock some simply soft yarn. Redheart's ok but it's only good for so much.

Just finished up a skein of yarn working on a baby blanket. :crocheting First real crocheting I've gotten done this week. My husband thought to bring my crocheting to me in the hospital (I had "unexpected" gallbladder surgery), but they put the IV in my right hand! :blush I couldn't do anything with it!

Gee Holly, I hope you feel better soon :hug

I've finished up 2 more of those teeny tiny 50 gm balls for +4 and a total so far of +6 for the week...soon though I will probably start working on the pounders and boy will my score slow down then :yes

Archived