2009 Stashbusting CAL

basjordan

well, i did not get done what i hoped to yesterday. i forgot hubby and i had the dentist. but today i worked on the stone path hat for my dd. she grew out of the one from last year. i used up 1 full skein on it so far and hope to finish it up tonight after we have dinner with my mil. i will not use up another full skein on it. but it will at least be a ball.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

I have started a round ripple and have used up one ball so far (+2) :yay gotta love the 50g skeins :manyheart. I have to confess...I've been going through my stash looking for all the little skeins :yes.

Hope you're all staying warm and busting stash! :cheer:hug

:thair arrrgggghhhh :thair

I went to visit my friend down stairs today for tea and she convinced me to take 6 skeins of yarn that she will not use. arrrrrrggggghhh

a big minus 12. :(

well I guess it is just as well that I get my toe in the water now instead of waiting for the February rush :rofl

And... I actually get to try my first effort with Homespun. Hats and scarves all round :yay

managed to finish part of a skein off for my shawl I am making. Just have to do the trimming on it. :) but I am at a nice even

for the week so far. :yes but I had to make sure I was still positive :hook

is 0 positove? Well it isn't negative so I am happy with it. :devil

. . . but my inability to finish pounders is keeping me from making any real gains on plus numbers :sigh

Boy, I know that feeling. I've been working on a lumberjack throw and making good progress, but these 8 ounce skeins of Red Heart yarn are making it difficult to rack up very many points.

I was thinking the same thing about the grocery store selling yarn.

Our local Wal-mart still carries yarn but not as much as they used to.

Our walmart has cut back alot too... they are getting ready to do a remodel. Normally I'd be happy about that, but I was talking to the girl that works at the fabric counter and she said they are completely eliminating the fabric... we live in the middle of Amish country with no other fabric/craft stores around for at least 50 miles... I feel bad for them. They're going to have a hard time finding fabrics, etc...

And then the yarn... The RHSS is almost depleted... she wasn't sure which yarns were going and which were staying.. but she said it will definately be cut back tremendously. Instead of the entire section as it is now, it's just going to be a couple of aisles. :(

Looks like I'll be doing most of my shopping online...

managed to finish part of a skein off for my shawl I am making. Just have to do the trimming on it. :) but I am at a nice even

for the week so far. :yes but I had to make sure I was still positive :hook

is 0 positove? Well it isn't negative so I am happy with it. :devil

I say it's a positive! My algebra professor will disagree with me and probably give me an F for saying so... Oh well! LOL

Our walmart has cut back alot too...

I know that feeling. All the Walmarts in my area (Dallas, Texas) have eliminated fabric all together and are phasing out the craft department completely. The yarn section is down to about a half aisle. That's why I grabbed three skeins last week when I was in a Greenville Walmart that happened to still have a large craft section. (I'd never even seen 7 oz. skeins of Vanna's Choice) Our Target doesn't have a craft section at all so it looks like JoAnn's will be my only place to shop. I do have a gift card to Hancock's that I got for Christmas but I'm definitely going to a different Hancock's than I went to last time, it was mostly fabric and the yarn section was small.

I'm working on finishing off a skein on my ripple but I'm not going to count it until I'm done, probably tonight or tomorrow. I'm about halfway done with my Ridge Swing Cardigan too, can't wait to put that together and see if it fits, haha.

Our walmart has cut back alot too... they are getting ready to do a remodel. Normally I'd be happy about that, but I was talking to the girl that works at the fabric counter and she said they are completely eliminating the fabric... we live in the middle of Amish country with no other fabric/craft stores around for at least 50 miles... I feel bad for them. They're going to have a hard time finding fabrics, etc...

And then the yarn... The RHSS is almost depleted... she wasn't sure which yarns were going and which were staying.. but she said it will definately be cut back tremendously. Instead of the entire section as it is now, it's just going to be a couple of aisles. :(

Looks like I'll be doing most of my shopping online...

Yes, if they're doing the same thing they did with our walmart....no fabric at all, half a row (on one side) for yarn, hardly any supplies, no buttons....*sighs* And it even seems that AC Moore is cutting back on yarn! :eek

We need to protest!!! Why are all these stores cutting back on yarn?? Is it that people aren't buying enough, or is it b/c of the cost x space x sales issue?? Everytime I go to the Michaels (1 hour away) there is always 3 or 4 ladies in that section shopping. I would imagine the same would be for any Joanns, ACMoore, etc. too. We all know Walmart's philosophy on business, so it doesn't surprise me with them, but the other craft suppliers...thats just not fair.

I say it's a positive! My algebra professor will disagree with me and probably give me an F for saying so... Oh well! LOL

As a licensed math teacher, I'd say that ... maybe... sometimes...:D

In theoretical math, if you are going towards zero from negative numbers, then yes, zero is considered positive.

On a related note, I'm approaching zero slowly - I had to frog half a baby blanket when I discovered my son switched hooks for two of my projects. (Using an H hook after previously using a J hook made the blanket look funny.)

Now I know why I only count points when a skein is finished ...

I just grabbed a small bit of yarn that I had left over from a headband and scarf set. Got me a +2 by busting that one and I can likely finish the next skein when I finish the hat and the scarf for it too. :dreaming

:wlol

And another one bites the dust... :yarn

:2rock

got it up to +4 and now I am also ahead one hat a week! :cheer

that puts me at minus 8 for the day but it's early days yet to use up some more. The skeins that I got are smaller than my usual :crocheting.

got nothing done today. :angry I worked and then had to go do laundry. Usually get something done at the laundrymat. but, tonight I helped a gal learn how to make a chain and single crochet. Also spent quite a bit of time talking to a gal that I made an afghan for. She seems to need someone to mother her a bit. Very sweet gal.

To all those posting about Wal-mart and their cutting back. Some of the Wal-mart's around here carry more then others. I have noticed over the last 3 years or so the one closest to us has cut way back on fabric and don't carry as many different yarns as used to. I sure hope that the gal in Amish area their walmart dosen't cut back all the way. At one point on another board, it was talked about and a bunch of us contacted our local walmarts and requested that they didn't cut back on the fabric and yarn area. might be something that you could try.

Crissie, do you have a copy of the pattern for that book cozy? I would love to make one for myself!

Yep I sure do...its on my blog. Let me know if you have any questions with it.

It didn't take very long at all to make.

ok so I managed to use up some yarn for my scarf and I made it into a ball so +1 for me even though I have 2 balls of yarn from the dollar store to use so -2 there but I'm working on making a dent in my stash

I'm going to join in! So far all I've done since the first of the year was take one skein down to a ball, so +1 for me! I know it sounds like I haven't been crocheting much, but I've been working out of some Caron One Pounds that I'd started into before the first of the year. Those buggers take a while to use up with small projects! :D

I'm really determined to make a dent in my stash this year, so this will be fun. I look forward to seeing how everyone else is doing. :D

another project completed! this is the Stone Path Hat from Interweave Crochet. The design is by Lisa Naskrent (Etaria). my dd outgrew her hat from last year and wanted another so this year she needed a size small. I love the cables in it.

th_StonePathHatsizesmallJanuary2009002.jpg

not the best pic. but she wanted one before she left for school today. i plan to get a better later. happy to say it did add 3 to my stash busting efforts :hook

Archived