Join anytime to a 6 to 24 point star rr, pattern included that Aggie May has written!

Cotton Candee

Count me in ladies

:cheerWelcome offically to the pick your own round ripple CAL Monica!! :cheer

Im definitely in... need to pick my colors and then I'll jump in when I get back from vaca. -wont be back til 3/12. dont leave til tues, but i dont think I'll get it started. need to finish the blue, pack, mani/pedi....too much other excitement. when i get home I can focus and get serious. I cant wait to start it now. :clap:clap Feeling VERY inspired.:yay:woo:woo

Where do you get to go on vacation Christine? I met some local crocheters this morning for the 1st time & was totally thrilled to have actually diven out of my little corner of the city! I am happy for you and glad my cheering is not bothering you! When you get back I will see what we can do to rally up for the big start! Have fun and will miss you! :hug

Im lost, I cant seem to do this adding of the points. It looks easy enough but I just cant do it.:(

I am so flattered Wendy! Okay... Did you do it in reg dc or fpdc? I am using the fpdc on the whole rr. This is how I added the points: when you are ready to add the points... You need to count how many stitches there are on one side of the point and then start in the middle stitch. I have used the example as if you had 12 stitches.

example.

I add my new points when I have 12 stitches on each side of each point.

row 1 of new pt-I join my yarn on stitch 6, ch 2, dc in ea of the next 4 dc --sk next 2 dc(which are in the middle of the valley)

dc in next 5 dc, ch2 turn,

row 2 - dc in next 3 dc, sk 2, dc next 4, ch 2 turn

row 3 - dc in next 2 dc, sk 2, dc next 3, ch 2 turn

row 4 - dc in next dc, sk 2, dc next 2, ch 2 turn

row 5 - dc in last dc, join, fasten off

You may need to adjust this by decreasing the number of rows by decreasing your stitches by dec dc before sk 2 dec dc in a valley

By dec a dc before and after the sk 2 in the valley, you are able to lower your rows by 1 for ea 2 dec per row.

ex. if you want 4 rows but have 12 stitches then in your 1st row

row 1 fasten on 6th dc, ch 2, dc in next 2 dc, dec dc in next 2 dc, sk 2 dc, dec dc in next 2 dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 2 turn. See if that helps...

Sue: Your enthusiam is wonderful :cheerand no I am not tired of your color combination, I think it's great. :yes I want to know what color purple it is. I just know when you get your ghan done it will be beautiful. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished. Oh, I also wanted to mention, that I too took up knitting when I learned to crochet and I also didn't like the 2 needles vs the one hook. I've thought of going back and giving it another try but :no.

Thank you Pat! I know I am tired of looking at green... oh and green.. and purple, which is amethyst red hart, oh, and did I say I am tired of looking at green? I am now doing the "okay just get this done and overwith" to finish before I just start another for the boy baby... It is just sooooooo inviting to look at another color! :lol

Oh Ann! That is so pretty... even in green! I like the pattern you used!

Can I cry on your shoulder? Last night I ran out of yarn in the middle of a round so I joined a ball of the same color and finished it. Today I got my ghan out and the colors were different. It is Red Heart Bright yellow super saver which is supposed to be no dye lot so the colors should be the same right? Well I had to frog the entire round and re do the over 700 stitches in that round. It breaks my heart!! I am looking for a number to call the people at red heart(coats and clark) and complain. there are also little white fibers in the yarn which I didn't notice before. I am very disappointed!

wendy

Wendy,

I am so sorry for your having to :frog 700 stitches! I would :compute contact Red Heart and tell them how :thair frustrating it is to have to do something like that over. I would want to :box but being in customer service it is those that tell me how upset they are in a civilized manner that I help the most! :idea I would say how it was costly to you to have to get replacement yarn, that the yarn you have now you don't know what you are going to do with, and that as much as you buy it was shocking that a company their size would have such problems. I you just :kick a little and not :tryme AND I think tell them that their reputation is at stake, :scrachinyou might also get compensated. I know that I would certainly let them know that I would be wary of buying yarn from them in the future in fear of this happening again. I know that I am now praying my "no dye lot" yarn matches! :ghug

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not even going to try - Sticking with the pattern from Sew On Fire...

Judy... oh Judy... If one does not at least try, one can not even think of accomplishing it. I see something, I tell myself, if someone else can do it, then so can I... I try it... If I can't do it their way, I work it so that I can do it my way. If, and ONLY if that doesn't work... then, and ONLY then do I bow my head and take defeat... I will tell you that I have surprised myself many times by this way of going at everything in my life. But then I am stuborn and one who when told I can't do something, have to! Just ask my Mom! :lol

Judy... oh Judy... If one does not at least try, one can not even think of accomplishing it. I see something, I tell myself, if someone else can do it, then so can I... I try it... If I can't do it their way, I work it so that I can do it my way. If, and ONLY if that doesn't work... then, and ONLY then do I bow my head and take defeat... I will tell you that I have surprised myself many times by this way of going at everything in my life. But then I am stuborn and one who when told I can't do something, have to! Just ask my Mom! :lol

okay...okay...:blush:lol I will at least give it a try.

I printed out your explanation of how you do it...

The pattern I already started isn't the 6 point RR though, so if you could point me in the right direction for the initial pattern and how often you make the changes in the points...I may use some other yarn to play with it (when I get the time:lol)

nss, Cotton Candee, Aussie, and mva5493:

Thanks to you all for your comments and help.

I have decided to continue with the yellow/green/turqua/bananaberry Aztec Sun for now. I put in the first set of extra points, but am doing all those nasty little ends before I go on. Each extra point is four rows, which end off at the end of each row. So that is 8 ends for each point X 8 points = 64 ends to pull in. I have been doing this for a while already. This is the most boring and tedious part of this ghan. I thought doing the points would be difficult, but they surprised me and were quite easy.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "As the Round Ripple Turns." Pictures to follow.

okay...okay...:blush:lol I will at least give it a try.

I printed out your explanation of how you do it...

The pattern I already started isn't the 6 point RR though, so if you could point me in the right direction for the initial pattern and how often you make the changes in the points...I may use some other yarn to play with it (when I get the time:lol)

You can do it with any pattern... but I will send you Colleen's!

Stay tuned for the next episode of "As the Round Ripple Turns." Pictures to follow.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Can I cry on your shoulder? Last night I ran out of yarn in the middle of a round so I joined a ball of the same color and finished it. Today I got my ghan out and the colors were different. It is Red Heart Bright yellow super saver which is supposed to be no dye lot so the colors should be the same right? Well I had to frog the entire round and re do the over 700 stitches in that round. It breaks my heart!! I am looking for a number to call the people at red heart(coats and clark) and complain. there are also little white fibers in the yarn which I didn't notice before. I am very disappointed!

wendy

Hi Wendy, e-mail Coats & Clark, I did because I was doing a baby afghan and due to the lighting at night didn't notice that there was small pieces of yellow in the white skeins. Since I was doing this all white it definitely showed the next morning. I told them that 3 skeins of their yarn (I gave them which one and the numbers) had that yellow streak in a couple of places and I was not happy that I had to buy more yarn and redo it and they sent their apologies with 3 new skeins of yarn. Let them know. They can't correct problems they don't know exist. Their email is coatscollection.com and their number is 877-292-0062. Hope this helps.

okay so i am finally on row 14 and now the center is starting to puker. wonder should i change to a bigger hook for the center star to keep it from doing that. I think I must crochet tight I am using a I hook.

:cheerAndrea,

What do you mean by Pucker?

If it is turning into a bowl, you just need to go back to where it is sitting flat, then add more stitches to the next round.

It is too few stitches on the outside edge whcih makes the centre look like a bowl.

If it is going frilly, you have too many stitches at the start so using a bigger hook will just make it even bigger, not smaller.

A smaller hook may work, as long as your work does not become too tight and stiff.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Hi everyone,

Wendy Im so sorry to hear you had to frog 700 stitches, what a pain. Hope you get your yarn sorted out.:hug

Judy its great to see you in here.

Sue thanks for the explanation on the extra points, I dont know why but I was just not getting it.

Keep up the good work everyone.:yay

I add my new points when I have 12 stitches on each side of each point.

row 1 of new pt-I join my yarn on stitch 6, ch 2, dc in ea of the next 4 dc --sk next 2 dc(which are in the middle of the valley)

dc in next 5 dc, ch2 turn,

row 2 - dc in next 3 dc, sk 2, dc next 4, ch 2 turn

row 3 - dc in next 2 dc, sk 2, dc next 3, ch 2 turn

row 4 - dc in next dc, sk 2, dc next 2, ch 2 turn

row 5 - dc in last dc, join, fasten off

You may need to adjust this by decreasing the number of rows by decreasing your stitches by dec dc before sk 2 dec dc in a valley

By dec a dc before and after the sk 2 in the valley, you are able to lower your rows by 1 for ea 2 dec per row.

ex. if you want 4 rows but have 12 stitches then in your 1st row

row 1 fasten on 6th dc, ch 2, dc in next 2 dc, dec dc in next 2 dc, sk 2 dc, dec dc in next 2 dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 2 turn. See if that helps...

Sue I cant believe how hard Im finding this part. I did what you said but found I had to do dc's into where you would normally sk 1 just to keep the holes lined up and also do dec dc's to keep the same amount of dc's on each side. Boy I know this doesnt make sense. I have now done one and it sort of looks ok.

Thanks for all your help.:hug

Wendy, I'm sure RH will help you. It won't help with all the work you had to frog but they try. Even thought they say No Dye Lot, I always try to buy extra when I'm buying for things that will have a problem if the dye lot changes.

There was a post here somewhere about why they are having problems and I can't find it right now. A lot of the manufacturers went out of business and that's the problem. Maybe someone else can find the post or the link of the article.

Good luck with RH. Coats and Clark have very nice customer service people and they will try to help.

Sue thanks for the explanation on the extra points, I dont know why but I was just not getting it.

but then...

Sue I cant believe how hard Im finding this part. I did what you said but found I had to do dc's into where you would normally sk 1 just to keep the holes lined up and also do dec dc's to keep the same amount of dc's on each side. Boy I know this doesnt make sense. I have now done one and it sort of looks ok.

Wendy ~ Did you count the same number of stitches on both sides of the valley to put your new point in? Also, you can do what darski did and instead of sk the middle stitches, just do dec to keep the hole from being there. It is on the 1st row that you might get a bigger than average hole. Just modify this to fit what you have done already. I crochet loose and it can all be different for someone who crochets tighter. sc vs hdc vs dc vs fpdc also makes a difference. Take a pic and post it and we can see what it looks like. When I did my 1st row going all around the new and old points together, I tightened up my valleys then to make those holes smaller too. I also started getting frilly after the new points so had to tighten that up as well. It still lays flat as a pancake "now" but had to work on it. It was only after the new points that it took off... I think it was due to my using fpdc though. It is heavy already and will be super warm. I'll post more pics once it has the last new row of points. I takes FOREVER to go around it now... gee can't wait till it is a full fledged 24 pointer!

I don't want ANYONE to not add their points because they feel it is too hard or can't understand what to do. I have free long distance in the US and Canada. PM me if you want me to :phonecall you or you can call me, if that would help! It is hard sometimes to write stuff down. It is harder yet to tell the world you can't do something. I have started over 3 times, I am no master at this, as everyone well knows... but I can help you to understand what to do. I can listen. and most of all, you can do it. If we can't figure it out, then we will get help. :ccompute

That also goes for all the lurkers :lurk out there just reading and not joining this CAL! btw... why don't you join?

Morning everyone, wow where is everybody. I know, your all crocheting like mad arent you.

Sue thanks, I will post a pic tonight and see what you think. I found doing it normally with skipping both dc's that the holes didnt match up but went side to side when you looked at it, thats why I had to go into one of the skipped dc's to keep the holes in line.

Anyway you will see it when I post it tonight. I dont want to go any further until then.

Also just checking but when your counting your stitches up the side do you include half the ones that are in the point for that side.

Morning everyone, wow where is everybody. I know, your all crocheting like mad arent you.

Sue thanks, I will post a pic tonight and see what you think. I found doing it normally with skipping both dc's that the holes didnt match up but went side to side when you looked at it, thats why I had to go into one of the skipped dc's to keep the holes in line.

Anyway you will see it when I post it tonight. I dont want to go any further until then.

Also just checking but when your counting your stitches up the side do you include half the ones that are in the point for that side.

I count this way. If adding the point, I count from the middle loop at the tip of the point to the last stitch in the valley. So if you have 3dc 2ch 3dc in the tip everytime you go around, then you would count 3 then the rest of the stitches down.

If just crocheting around, then I count the tip stitches again... BUT going up the other side I also count the tip stitches but they haven't been made yet.

It really doesn't matter how you count so long as you do it the same EVERY time and the same on BOTH sides of your points. I found out that on my last attempt, the grand canyon bowl, that I was counting one side differently than the other. because I was turn on that one, I was then compensating for the missed stitches and adding more than needed... hence, the bowl effect.

FootBallMom- i'm glad you decided to stick with it. I liked how the yellow just kinda made it glow. Can't wait to see your next picts.

Cotton Candee --GREAT:hook:cheer

Good job!!

I have decided to continue with the yellow/green/turqua/bananaberry Aztec Sun for now. I put in the first set of extra points, but am doing all those nasty little ends before I go on. Each extra point is four rows, which end off at the end of each row. So that is 8 ends for each point X 8 points = 64 ends to pull in. I have been doing this for a while already. This is the most boring and tedious part of this ghan. I thought doing the points would be difficult, but they surprised me and were quite easy.

I have already attached my first set of points as well, and it did take some time to weave in all those pesky ends. While I was working on them I kept wondering if there was a way to continue each line instead of starting and stopping so much. Also kept thinking that it will be worse on the next addition because it will be 16 extra points, and even though I haven't looked that far into the pattern, I assume that they will be done the same way.

Hi Ladies!

Hope everything is well for you all. I don't have a pic to show my progress tonight...mostly because I haven't had much. Those rounds seem to take forever...I am almost finished though. I'm thinking about 8 or 10 more rows and I will be done. :eekToday, while I was working on one of the never-ending rounds I came to the valley where you skip 2 dc (the end one and the first one of the next peak thingy or whatever its called, I hope you know what I am getting at)...and on the round before I dc in them all - so there was no valley:oops I had to rip it out and start again at the correct spot.

:whewHopefully I haven't confused you too much. Till next time :)

wendy,,Im so sorry to read about your RH problem! I hope you get it resolved.

I'll miss everyone while Im gone... how will I ever catch up after 8 days... DH said NO LAPTOP :rofl:rofl We are off to Cancun for our 19th wedding anny. :woo:woo:woo:wooI'll miss you all... You've become a part of my daily life ya know :manyheart

Catch up on the 12th. Happy Hookin' !!:hook:hook

Well, I have been working on my 8 Point round ripple, extending the preemie size to a larger newborn/toddler size pattern that I will post on Gather.com when I get done. I have done a different color pattern too (inspired by Chris's beautiful 12 pt RR), and am going in the back of the stitch to give the ridge effect. Here are the pics of where I am now, just finished row 13:

8ptfull.jpg

Close up:

8ptclose.jpg

Archived