Join anytime to a 6 to 24 point star rr, pattern included that Aggie May has written!

Cotton Candee

May I ask Lisa just how big this is? It looks huge! I just love the colors and I like the way the new points look on it! :clap:clap:cheer:cheer:clap:clap You are doing a top-notch job!

Its um - about 18 inches - in diameter - WAS 24ish before I frogged.:U

The original patterns have been for designs that were 60 or so inches. I need mine to be larger than that. So, I have been making 5 rows rather than 3.

Thank you Colleen. :hugI needed a bit of a reality check. Its hard working (crocheting) in a vacuum. Very few people around here crochet. They mostly knit if they do any yarn crafts at all, and one of the biggest reasons for being here (at Crochetville) is that we get and give feed back.

DH's eye glaze over when I ask for an opinion or I sometimes get a 'that's nice' from him. :bang

So I worry :worriedover salad bowls and ruffles and have yet to experience how blocking something big and pretty and meaningful will turn out.

So, thank you

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, got the camera plugged into the computer finally. Haven't had a chance to work on this baby since Friday. But here is what it looked like when I set it down for the night.

2294438237_4d5270284c.jpg

It's a bit puckery, but I can live with it.

Everyone's ghan's are so beautiful! Sue, I'm so sorry that you weren't happy with you're first one, but this second one is wonderful! I was able to do a little more on mine last night, but I'm still having trouble posting pics. Everything is HUGE! Do you all use photobucket? I reduce the pics to thumbnail, but when I post them over here they are BIG! I'm beginning to think it's me because it's been 3 days :eek

You can get Paint dot net to work with your pictures. It is just MS Paint program that has been fiddled with by college kids. Bill Gates gave them the code as a way to encourage the students to have some real-time experience.

You can get Paint . net for free on the web.

when you have it installed, you just open your pic from your pics folder.

Click on "Image" from the menu at the top.

Reduce it to something in the 400 size range (for whatever the longer measurement is)

Save your new pic and there you go.

You can get Paint dot net to work with your pictures. It is just MS Paint program that has been fiddled with by college kids. Bill Gates gave them the code as a way to encourage the students to have some real-time experience.

You can get Paint . net for free on the web.

when you have it installed, you just open your pic from your pics folder.

Click on "Image" from the menu at the top.

Reduce it to something in the 400 size range (for whatever the longer measurement is)

Save your new pic and there you go.

Thank you, darski! I'm going to give it a try! :hug

:cheerIf your star is getting a "Bit puckery" just work less stitches into the points on alternate rows to slow down the increasing.

If you keep going, it will just get worse and you will use much more yarn than you need to.

Do the Fold Test and see how the piece sits.

If it is perfect, it should create a D shape, if too many stitches, it will create a U shape on the folded edge.

th_100_0856.jpgth_100_0855.jpg

I dont have a picture of what it looks like when you do not increase enough but it just curves the opposite way to the pic on the left.

Hope this helps a little.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Colleen%27s+star+small.jpg

The holes in the middle of the new points are kind of big but I know what to do next time! I think this one looks much better!

i don't think I commented on this one. it is just stunning. I love the curvy look you got on your slopes. really neato!!

Sue ---- I absolutely love this, it's beautiful. You have to share how you did this, please please please.

I've been crocheting for years and years and have never made up anything. I need a pattern and I'm so envious of you guys you can do this. I wouldn't know where to begin.

It really is gorgeous, can't wait to see it finished.

Sorry but I didn't get time this weekend to figure out how to do the pics and it's still sitting on row 22. I'll be back on it this week.

Thankx Pat.

:thinkNow, not so much of the unravelling.

:eekRemember, if you want it perfect, get it made in a factory by a robot.

Crocheting was never meant to be perfect.

Have fun.

Colleen

I liked that so much I put it in my signature so I can read it the whole time I am visiting the 'ville! Thankx Colleen!:hug

that is stunning

everyone elses are so breathtaking now im starting to criticize my color choices lol

Thankx Sissy! Your colors are just as lovely! In fact, your is the warm, cozy, relaxing rr where I think mine is the wake up and and don't get comfy rr! :lol

The ghans look great. Everyone has done a wonderful job on their ripples.

Sue I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

I haven't touched mine in at least a day. I've been working on my pineapple trying to get it finished up.

Thankx Donna! You mean to say that you haven't touched the rr in a WHOLE DAY?? a WHOLE 24 HOURS???? and you call yourself a crocheting addict? :lol Just a teasing Donna. Let me know when your pineapple is done so maybe I can take a gander?

That's so pretty.

:devil

Thankx Micky! So when are we going to see yours? Hopefully soon!:P

Everyone's ghan's are so beautiful! Sue, I'm so sorry that you weren't happy with you're first one, but this second one is wonderful!:eek
Thankx Ann! :hug This is my first rr and I didn't pick an easy one to learn on. So, I am happy with doing this still, even through out-bursts! :lol I will tell you though and most of all I am enjoying talking to everyone more so and seeing what everyone makes! I might just have to keep a WIP on a rr just to keep this going. It is so nice to get to know some people here. Thank you all for joining this! Means a lot to me even if not to you! I have actually never talked to anyone about crocheting except 1 person since 1972 when I was taught in school. Sorry to rattle... my posts are long enuf.

Its um - about 18 inches - in diameter - WAS 24ish before I frogged.

The original patterns have been for designs that were 60 or so inches. I need mine to be larger than that. So, I have been making 5 rows rather than 3.

Thank you Colleen. I needed a bit of a reality check. Its hard working (crocheting) in a vacuum. Very few people around here crochet. They mostly knit if they do any yarn crafts at all, and one of the biggest reasons for being here (at Crochetville) is that we get and give feed back.

DH's eye glaze over when I ask for an opinion or I sometimes get a 'that's nice' from him. :bang

So I worry over salad bowls and ruffles and have yet to experience how blocking something big and pretty and meaningful will turn out.

So, thank you

Lisa, :hug 24" to 18"? OUCH! It is so lovely so you just keep truckin' girl... we'll do this together!

Okay, true confessions... My theripst (See, I'm crazy and can't spell) once told me that the only things you need to worry about is anything that will actually affect you after a year... So as they say, don't sweat the small stuff. Everytime I get to worrying, I just ask if the outcome will still matter in a year and then almost everytime it won't! :D

Okay, got the camera plugged into the computer finally. Haven't had a chance to work on this baby since Friday. But here is what it looked like when I set it down for the night.

2294438237_4d5270284c.jpg

It's a bit puckery, but I can live with it.

Aimee! I just love the colors and I know the camera didn't do it justice. Can't wait to see what is next!

Sue, I love your bold colors! and thanks for the compliment :hug

Thankx Susan! I just wish you guys could see the real colors together. Maybe I will have DH take a pic with his good camera that has a flash!

If your star is getting a "Bit puckery" just work less stitches into the points on alternate rows to slow down the increasing.

If you keep going, it will just get worse and you will use much more yarn than you need to.

If it is perfect, it should create a D shape, if too many stitches, it will create a U shape on the folded edge.

I dont have a picture of what it looks like when you do not increase enough but it just curves the opposite way to the pic on the left.

Have fun.

Colleen

Colleen, when I fold mine in half It looks like the bloody cresent moon. :lol My middle came out with way too many stitches for mine to lay completely flat. I thought, like everyone, to just keep going and it will get better, but it gets worse. Hence, my starting over AGAIN! :hook

i don't think I commented on this one. it is just stunning. I love the curvy look you got on your slopes. really neato!!
Thankx darski! It is the pattern you gave me of Colleens! I am having to modify the center I think because I crocheted it so loose it puckered up. Or maybe Colleen's pattern just wants to give me a BIG KISS! :lol

Yes.... :yes I am once again starting over folks! Yeppers... start from scratch! I will do this no matter what!

Mine that I just posted came out just perfect for a bowl! I make great garlic, bacon, and cheese biscuits, yeast rolls, and other breads and have needed something to put in a bowl to keep them hot and now I have it... :lol

I will post #3 once I get further along... :manyheart

:cheerIf your star is getting a "Bit puckery" just work less stitches into the points on alternate rows to slow down the increasing.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Colleen...when you talk about working fewer stitches into the points, do you mean at the very tip? or anywhere along the sides of the point?

Has anyone ever tried decreasing twice at the bottom of the valley once on each at the bottom? Would that work or make the valleys too weird?

Colleen...when you talk about working fewer stitches into the points, do you mean at the very tip? or anywhere along the sides of the point?

Has anyone ever tried decreasing twice at the bottom of the valley once on each at the bottom? Would that work or make the valleys too weird?

I will make your hole bigger, I believe... :think I think anyway...

Sue I know I may be sick to now be working on day 3 without touching the star ghan :eek But I only have one and a half rounds left on this other one so I got to get it done before I can move on since it's just so close. :yes I'll definitely let everyone know when it's done. :D

Originally Posted by isserlie viewpost.gif

I am working on another 6 point that I designed that does use this technigue in the valleys. I do a dc decrease on each side so that I do not get a hole there at all. This technique does not start until you get to the first white row...

dec1A.jpg

You can see the full sized version of this pic here

:hook

I am working on another 6 point that I designed that does use this technigue in the valleys. I do a dc decrease on each side so that I do not get a hole there at all. This technique does not start until you get to the first white row...

dec1A.jpg

ahhh Darski

THANK YOU. I love what that looks like.

row 3 and 4 are NOT ruffling - maybe Im on a roll

Sue I know I may be sick to now be working on day 3 without touching the star ghan :eek But I only have one and a half rounds left on this other one so I got to get it done before I can move on since it's just so close. :yes I'll definitely let everyone know when it's done. :D

Go girl go... :cheerrah :cheer rah :cheerrah

Can't wait to see it! OH I do NOT blame you at all Donna for wanting to get something done that is so close! :hook

dec1A.jpg

You do such nice work darski... That is just too smart too! I love the color you are using...

Hello,

One word comes to mind when I see the rr's.....AMAZING! Each one is uniquely beautiful just as the next. :cheer:jumpyay:cheer:cheer:jumpyay:cheer

As you may or may not know, I decided to use Aggie May's graciously shared 9 point rr pattern...and I thought I might try my hand at modifying it to an 18 point. While the thought was good, I probably should've just left well enough alone. This was my very first attempt at "crocheting outside the box", if you will. I am really happy with it, but I know it is not right because it is 'ruffly' and puckers. A lesson learned...next time when it starts to get pucker - y, I will frog it and start over to get it right. As for this one, I don't think my sister will mind that it doesn't lay flat and is 'ruffly', she will be so touched that I made it for her...so that's all that matters really. :manyheart Here it is:

P1010007-1.jpg

Angela :flower

wip

18 point rr for my sister

to do

six pointed star afghan (I am determined to do this)

Seija baby blanket for my new cousin

well I haven't worked on my afghan for a couple of days. I ran out of my yellow yarn during the snow we got the other day. I bought more but I spent last night making a list of yarn to order with my free shipping at ac moore's for my next projects--all round riples of course. I ordered $50 worth of yarn and the rest I will get at Walmart or order more later. this will do the next 3 afghans plus some extra yarn. I guess I had better get busy on my current WIP. it is about 50" round now but I want at least 60" so the nieces and nephews can grow into them. Saturday I am taking 2 of my nieces yarn shopping to pick out colors for their afghans. I think it'll be window shopping right now but at least I will know what colors I will need when the time comes.

I just love everyones afghans! the color schemes are amazing! it is neat how they are all so very different.

keep up the good work.

wendy

Hi ladies. I signed up for this Cal and then everyone in my house got the flu and then last weekend the strep throat made it's way through both kids and myself. First time in 25 years that I got it, and it can be that long again.

After all my disinfecting and sleeping, I am in need for some fiber therapy. I am headed to the couch to start on my Aztec sun afghan. I am hoping to have some progress pics soon.

Hello,

One word comes to mind when I see the rr's.....AMAZING! Each one is uniquely beautiful just as the next. :cheer:jumpyay:cheer:cheer:jumpyay:cheer

As you may or may not know, I decided to use Aggie May's graciously shared 9 point rr pattern...and I thought I might try my hand at modifying it to an 18 point. While the thought was good, I probably should've just left well enough alone. This was my very first attempt at "crocheting outside the box", if you will. I am really happy with it, but I know it is not right because it is 'ruffly' and puckers. A lesson learned...next time when it starts to get pucker - y, I will frog it and start over to get it right. As for this one, I don't think my sister will mind that it doesn't lay flat and is 'ruffly', she will be so touched that I made it for her...so that's all that matters really. :manyheart Here it is:

P1010007-1.jpg

wip

18 point rr for my sister

to do

six pointed star afghan (I am determined to do this)

Seija baby blanket for my new cousin

This is just stunning Angela! I too will not let another by me that I :think"think" will suddenly fix itself the more I add! :yes I just KNOW she will absolutly love it! :manyheart I do however, miss seeing...

catonputer.gif

well I haven't worked on my afghan for a couple of days. I ran out of my yellow yarn during the snow we got the other day. I bought more but I spent last night making a list of yarn to order with my free shipping at ac moore's for my next projects--all round riples of course. I ordered $50 worth of yarn and the rest I will get at Walmart or order more later. this will do the next 3 afghans plus some extra yarn. I guess I had better get busy on my current WIP. it is about 50" round now but I want at least 60" so the nieces and nephews can grow into them. Saturday I am taking 2 of my nieces yarn shopping to pick out colors for their afghans. I think it'll be window shopping right now but at least I will know what colors I will need when the time comes.

I just love everyones afghans! the color schemes are amazing! it is neat how they are all so very different.

keep up the good work.

wendy

Wendy,

Those neices and nephews won't grow into them but get lost in them! :lol Little kidlet burritos! :sofunny No, seriously, I think that would be a great idea! That way they won't be too small for them since they grow so fast!

I am sure that everyone knows this about Hobby Lobby... But I also wanted to make my offer since I know there are so many people that are not near one. I am very lucky :hook

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/default.aspx?dep=20&cat=0&subcat=0

Crafts, Etc also has free shipping on orders over $25 and you are able to get the yarns or whatever that Hobby Lobby sells.

If anyone ever wants me to get some yarn from Hobby Lobby that is on sale, just let me know! You can see their weekly ad at

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/entire_ad.cfm?menu=1

Here is my zip if you ever need it, 28227.

I pretty much only buy yarn from there and only when on sale. Well, for the skeins that are over $2. I am too cheap and poor to do it any other way.

It is just down the street from me :yes which DH is NOT too happy about! :angry USPS is also just around the corner too! I have PayPal and can ship 1st class, priority, and FedEx for those HUGE orders when DH is in the dog house.

I wouldn't, of course charge anything but what it cost me to buy and ship.:yarn

Oh, and you must have a weekly + stash busting score! :devil <just kidding>

Hi ladies. I signed up for this Cal and then everyone in my house got the flu and then last weekend the strep throat made it's way through both kids and myself. First time in 25 years that I got it, and it can be that long again.

After all my disinfecting and sleeping, I am in need for some fiber therapy. I am headed to the couch to start on my Aztec sun afghan. I am hoping to have some progress pics soon.

Miranda! :hug Welcome back! I was just thinking of you earlier today when I was going through the names of who signed up! I thought that maybe you fell in your yarn stash and was lulled to sleep in all that comfort. Unfortunately, it was illness that has kept you from us! Can't wait to see what you have once you get some "therapy!"

So Micky, are you just taking a break from the rr or crochet all together? Heck girl not only have I started over and am on my 3rd... but they are all the SAME 2 COLORS! I love lime green and purple but I tell ya! :lol

Hello,

P1010007-1.jpg

That is just beautiful.:clap

Archived