Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

Pretty tote! Like the tethered pocket idea!

Mine is sitting on a table with the lining cut waiting to get pieced together!

Lynn

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:yay :yay I finally finished mine. :yay :yay

I didn't line it though. I haven't decided if I'm going to or not but here it is!

th_crochet259.jpgclickable

I made my side pockets into a little pocket tethered onto the tote.

Great job!

Love the little pocket you made out of the side pockets...might have to do that to mine b/c I completely forgot to attach them!

Well.....I was looking at all the gorgeous bags here and I started one...:lol ...I couldn't resist....so, I guess I can say I am officially in!!! :hook I think Im in...if this C/A is still going..? These bags are so kool and they really go fast..

I made this for my SP...the sunflower sticking out and the color choices were for her:manyheart

...I did put some plastic canvas, wrapped in fabric, on the bottom for a little support. No lining: I'm not good at that stuff...I didn't want to botch the entire thing after all the work that went into it!

th_HPIM0301.jpgIt's a little wonky because I had it stuffed with yarn for her:)

Well.....I was looking at all the gorgeous bags here and I started one...:lol ...I couldn't resist....so, I guess I can say I am officially in!!! :hook I think Im in...if this C/A is still going..? These bags are so kool and they really go fast..

Welcome and as far as I know it is still on...Things are a little slow cause so many folks are wrapped up in the Holiday preparations. It will pick up again.

Judy: Nice work on the bag. I really like the flower....

This place really quieted down alot. Thought I'd come back in and find loads of pics. Where did everyone go??

Hi, I haven't started my tote yet, but keep coming back to this thread because I want to start one, soon. Cro, I did a search for yours because I remembered seeing it a few weeks ago. I really like how you added all the extra touches. Have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. Your bag stands up nicely, did you use the plastic canvas or does it stand up without it? Was also wondering what kind of yarn you used & how much it took. I have a couple of almost full RHSS skeins that I would love to use, if that would be enough. All the totes on here are really nice. Cro, hope you don't mind my questions!

Katie

I'm really surprized how fast these bags work up. I started mine by accident Nov 4th...and as off today I already have the front and back panel and the gusset done...so I think I'm doing pretty good. I have been doing this nights only...from around 7 that I settle down till around 11pm. So I hope to be posting a picture soon. All these bags are so pretty. Really great work. Yeah...I understand about these c/a quieting down some....I belong to the tunisian c/a I am also a co/host till our host can get back and its really slow over there...you can hear the crickets when you open that thread:lol...but it'll get going again once WE start working on our projects.... :hook

Yup, Olga - the CALs all seem to do this - crawl along (if that) for a while then suddenly take off again when new people hear about it.

Hi, I haven't started my tote yet, but keep coming back to this thread because I want to start one, soon. Cro, I did a search for yours because I remembered seeing it a few weeks ago. I really like how you added all the extra touches. Have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. Your bag stands up nicely, did you use the plastic canvas or does it stand up without it? Was also wondering what kind of yarn you used & how much it took. I have a couple of almost full RHSS skeins that I would love to use, if that would be enough. All the totes on here are really nice. Cro, hope you don't mind my questions!

Katie

Hi, sorry, I was sick for a few days and not paying attention to any of the threads, but back on my feet today. A little weak but OK. I did not use plastic canvas, All I did was line it. I used cotton for the main part of the bag, (like peaches and cream) I had a pound of it I had picked up at AC Moore in the beginning of the summer for only five dollars. There were 3 big balls in the bag and I used 1 1/2 of them. That's about 1/2 of a pound or 8 oz for the main part. I used Caron simply soft for the pockets and the handles. One and 1/2 skein on the apple green pockets and just a leftover ball for the turquoise handles and trim. Both the cotton and the Caron tend to stretch less than the other yarns. Plus I also lined the pockets and straps. I sewed the crocheted parts together with quilting thread so the seams stayed tight and didn't stretch as much.

RHSS will work for the tote but you will have to do more with the handles.

Several options other ladies used are, lining them or using cotton thread with the yarn. If you don't, once you fill the bag with all your goodies, the handles will stretch. As I jokingly stated you might want to put wheels on the bottom so you could drag the tote along, :lol.

Good Luck with it, and don't ever worry about asking questions, I still do.

That is what we are all here for, to share our knowledge, learn from others and have fun.

Here are pics again, in case you didn't find them

th_crafty002.jpg

th_crafty001.jpg

Also some of the ladies did use RHSS, and they don't appear to be having stretch problems, I guess it is a matter of preference, and how much you plan to stuff in the bag. Also I did the reverse single crochet as a trim around the joined edges which tends to hold tighter too....

Hi, sorry, I was sick for a few days and not paying attention to any of the threads, but back on my feet today. A little weak but OK. I did not use plastic canvas, All I did was line it. I used cotton for the main part of the bag, (like peaches and cream) I had a pound of it I had picked up at AC Moore in the beginning of the summer for only five dollars. There were 3 big balls in the bag and I used 1 1/2 of them. That's about 1/2 of a pound or 8 oz for the main part. I used Caron simply soft for the pockets and the handles. One and 1/2 skein on the apple green pockets and just a leftover ball for the turquoise handles and trim. Both the cotton and the Caron tend to stretch less than the other yarns. Plus I also lined the pockets and straps. I sewed the crocheted parts together with quilting thread so the seams stayed tight and didn't stretch as much.

RHSS will work for the tote but you will have to do more with the handles.

Several options other ladies used are, lining them or using cotton thread with the yarn. If you don't, once you fill the bag with all your goodies, the handles will stretch. As I jokingly stated you might want to put wheels on the bottom so you could drag the tote along, :lol.

Good Luck with it, and don't ever worry about asking questions, I still do.

That is what we are all here for, to share our knowledge, learn from others and have fun.

Hi, I am so sorry you have been feeling poorly, hope it is nothing serious & you are back at it soon! I appreciate all the information about the tote bag. All the hints and help in this thread will certainly make it a lot easier when I do start mine. I have some RHSS in a gorgeous dark lavender, almost grape color and some variagated lavender and green, my two favorite colors, that I will probably use. I really like the looks of the cotton yarn better, but I have almost a full (large) skein of both the RHSS colors so will probly use that. Maybe the next one I make will be in the cotton yarn. I have realized that there is no way I can start this til after Christmas, that is if I want to get my Christmas :gift finished! Hopefully this CAL will still be going then. Of course, if I would spend as much time crocheting as I do visiting the "Ville, I'd also get a lot more accomplished.:hook Well, thanks again for your reply & get to feelin' better!

Katie

Of course, if I would spend as much time crocheting as I do visiting the "Ville, I'd also get a lot more accomplished.:hook Well, thanks again for your reply & get to feelin' better!

Katie

:lol That is what my daughter keeps saying ever since I convinced her to join. There are times I don't feel like crocheting but I can always try to make time to "lurk" at the ville.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, us old timers take longer to heal, but I am a fighter, and don't stay down for long.

Your choice of colors sound great, I am sure this thread will still be going, so enjoy your Christmas projects, and I look forward to "seeing" you soon.

i think i`ll make one some day :) with a shawl i`m planing to make :)

We will be here waiting for you. It is a lot of work, but as I have said many times before, the finished product is well worth it.

Ok..here's my tote. Im not actually finished...it still needs a lining but thats it all put together..the handles are not in place ..just with pins ...those are the little white dots you see. Also....I didn't make it a 8 pocket tote...I made it just a 3 pocket one ...I didn't think I needed so many pockets...the less I have the less stuff I will put in it...:lol

th_totebag.jpg

Looks great!!

Colors work well together. I had made mine a 4 pocket (one large one on front and back and one on each side). I too thought 8 small pockets were alot. But I did put 2 more pockets inside in the lining.

What are you going to use for lining?

Hello, ladies! I have five of my six totes done (except the lining - that will be one long weekend of work). When I finish the last one, I'll post pics of all of them!

I love seeing everyone's work! All of the totes look great and I love seeing the color combinations everyone has come up with.

http://ksks.scoutj.com/bag_lining_tutorial.pdf

Someone forwarded this link to the group I'm on...another lining option for those of us sewing-challenged!:P

I have some of this, only used it for hems or appliques.

Have you tried it on any non-felted things?

I have some of this, only used it for hems or appliques.

Have you tried it on any non-felted things?

I haven't used it, myself - but I would think if it works for hems, it'll work for anything else....???

Archived