Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really like the pattern. I might make it when I'm not working on afghans (or I might make it, and then keep an afghan-in-the-works in it). Does it have to be made out of cotton? I don't really want to spend $27 on it---that would almost pay for an afghan!

I did mine out of just one strand of WW yarn. I haven't sewn it together, but I do have purses out of ww and they don't stretch because of the lining inside (trust me I've tried:lol ). If you don't use lining then, yes it will stretch. If you're worried about the straps stretching there are various ways to avoid that with WW yarn (or minimize it).

You could also purshes less epxensive cotton if you can find it. Others may be able to help you there.

Debbi

Ok, I LOVE these! I want to make one for a test and then maybe make some for Christmas gifts. Question is ------

How long (average) does it take to make one start to finished, lined? I'l probably need about 6 of them for Christmas presents! Feasible? Or maybe NEXT Christmas?:hook

Lynn

WOW! They all look great!

Here's mine. I decided not to add another pocket to the other side. If I need one I will add it later. Right now it's all I need.

th_P1000098.jpg

th_P1000099.jpg

th_P1000100.jpg

I have just found this cal several days ago. Was looking thought it to see all the beautiful totes and ny the way, I love yours! The colors are amazing together! I was wondering where you got the pattern for the hook holder. That is awesome! I would love to make one!

Lynn

I have just found this cal several days ago. Was looking thought it to see all the beautiful totes and ny the way, I love yours! The colors are amazing together! I was wondering where you got the pattern for the hook holder. That is awesome! I would love to make one!

Lynn

I'm not LittleJadeFrog/Stephanie but I know where she got the pattern for the hook holder. :) According to her post here, she made it longer cuz for some reason it was too short for her needles and she added two more "pockets."

You can find more links for hook holders in my post here for the Quick Reference for Helpful Links/Postings for Eight-pocket Tote CAL (it's #502 on page 51 for this CAL).

HTH! :hook

Cinnamon, thank you so much for the links! I just have to make one of those!

Aussie - your bag is beautiful. Love the zipper pocket!

Lynn

I've been lurking on this CAL for a while and don't think I can resist any longer! Not sure when I'll get started on this, but I HAVE to make one of these too!

What size hooks did you guys use?

I LOVE the pics that are showing up of completed bags, they are so gorgeous! The color combo are wonderful and I sit here in awe wondering how you decided what colors to use. That is the most maddening process of crocheting anything for me, the color selection. I generally ask my DH to "just decide for me!"

I was bad and bought 6 or 8 skeins of cotton yesterday b/c it was on clearance for $1. So, I might have to make another one of these, even though the first one isn't even finished yet!

I bought some hot pink, lime green and bright blue cotton to make one but I think I am going to buy black and do the pockets in stripes using the birights. I'll prorbaly change my mind when I get in front of all the colors!! I love purple so maybe I can fit purple in the scheme too. Going shopping in a few. I'll show you what I picked later. I wasn't going to make this but every picture that has been posted has convinced me I have to make one. THANKS ALOT!!! I have enough to do!!!

I stood in Hobby Lobby yesterday in front of the yarn thrying to decide on colors! I finally ended up with I Love This Yarn by Red Heart in Raspberry and Black

Lynn

I read the section in Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee's book 'Knitting Rules' (I just read 'crochet' when she says 'knitting' most of the time) on keeping a knitting bag...so now I have to make this!

I think I will use Disney-Princessey colors and line it with Disney Princess fabric (in keeping with the notebook I'm going to use as a journal---I'm pasting Disney Princess coloring pages all over it LOL).

"Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, off to my stash I go!"

I've been thinking of making one of these for awhile Last night I got my incentive... My Sis is quite ill and I was trying to think of something to make her to cheer her up .. seeing as how we loving call her "The Bag Lady" I thought this would be perfect... I'll doing it in lavendar heavy-weight WW yarn with a golden yellow Contrast color the front and back pockets and gusset are CC front, back and side pockets are MC... I have a varigated ribbon yarn that I'm going to trim the edges and make the handles out of.. I don't know what I'm going to line it with... i had to adjust the # of stitches so I'm using measurements to make it..

LOL, these totes are contagious...Good Job, Aussie. Never thought of Zipper on inside pocket. So many nice versions from one pattern.

"How long (average) does it take to make one start to finished, lined? I'l probably need about 6 of them for Christmas presents! Feasible? Or maybe NEXT Christmas?

Lynn"

Really depend on the individual. How fast you can crochet and how much time you have to devote to the project. The piecing together and lining take most of the time. I don't know if anyone timed theirs from start to finish, but I had a lot of interruptions and really only spent one or two hours at it until I forced myself to spend almost a full night on putting it all together.

I haven't started my tote yet but was thinking that you could make the same pockets for the inside as for the outside. Maybe make them a bit smaller and it would make a good diaper bag.

I never Thought of the pockets on the inside, Thats a great idea.....I added 10 extra shifts to the foundation row. So we will see.

Archived