Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

:manyheart Hi everyone, yes I am still slowly working on my tote bag. I have been working on other WIP that I want to use this winter, hopefully by the time spring 2008 rolls around I will be finished with my tote. It might take me that long to finish it. I guess that is how it is with some projects.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...maybe I'll finish assembling my bag. Half of it is sc together, just been lazy about it. I guess I just love having a million WIPS at once!

I thought mine was going to be a WIP for a long time too!!! I forced myself to stay upstairs in den and get it finished. I had too many other things I wanted to do, and because room is so small, I had to finish it to put the other WIP things in. I really started to hate it when it came to the lining and putting it together, but now I know it was worth every minute.

I had a friend tell me about this one. I just got a bunch of Sugars and Cream on clearance and decided to give it a go. I'm now working on the pockets. It is a quick one to work up and I take it to work with me. Since my yarn is muti-colored I'm going to have to work at picking a solid for contrast. I'll be doing that soon as I get the pocket parts done. :)

I've been reading this thread for awhile. I love how everyone's bags are so different and beautiful. So I finally started my tote last night. I'm using Handicrafter cotton in candy cane. I bought some polar fleece to line it. Thank you everyone for all the helpful tips :-)

finishing up projects around here while I am laid up, I got my bag finished, HOWEVER I made mine a six pocket bag, I actually made the 8 pocket one for the Alz auction, which went over very well..I FORGOT to take a pic of my linnning, pooh...I will do that later on, without further adue here it is, it is for ME!!!:clap I NEVER keep anything for myself, so I am so happy, clickable pics :)

th_100_1015.jpg

th_100_1014.jpg

finishing up projects around here while I am laid up, I got my bag finished, HOWEVER I made mine a six pocket bag, I actually made the 8 pocket one for the Alz auction, which went over very well..I FORGOT to take a pic of my linnning, pooh...I will do that later on, without further adue here it is, it is for ME!!!:clap I NEVER keep anything for myself, so I am so happy, clickable pics :)

th_100_1015.jpg

th_100_1014.jpg

Lovely Bag!

without further adue here it is, it is for ME!!!:clap I NEVER keep anything for myself, so I am so happy, clickable pics :)

th_100_1015.jpg

th_100_1014.jpg

Very nice, good color combo. I know how you feel about something for yourself. Mine is sitting on open sewing table still, because I usually give away or wrap stuff right away, I want to have something that is mine right there where I can see it for awhile, before it is shoved in, under or over something else.

I bought some polar fleece to line it. Thank you everyone for all the helpful tips :-)

I thought about the fleece but was concerned about them (fleece and yarn) interacting with each other and making little "fleece-yarn pill thingies", let me know how it works out.

i actually have bought cotton yarn for this bag. I plan to make it for myself, I just have absolutely no idea when I will get to start on it. I love it and come here often to look at everyone's finished bags. I bought cones of desert sand from Elmore Pisgah/Peaches and Cream. It is a variegated and I love it. I might make all of it out of that color. I haven't decided yet. All the bags look great!:hug

Hello, everyone! I have all of the parts of two bags done and part of two others done, but I just haven't felt like lining and sewing them together. I think I might finish another one and then do the three together. Trying to make 6 before Christmas was a stupid idea, but it's too late to stop now! :help

I'm nearing the finish line...will post a pic...nothing exciting...of my finished product sometime this week.

At least I'll have finished something!

Judy well done.

Joann I love your bag, it looks great.

Well I have nearly finished. I just have to sew the lining into the bag and put the closure thingy on and get a button.Mine is a 6 pocket bag. Im not going to put the side pockets on. I might sew them to the lining giving me inside pockets.

Also the best thing I did was to sew the handles onto the sides before I crocheted the whole bag together. It certainly was so much easier.

Does anyone know how to make the handles stronger.

Judy well done.

Also the best thing I did was to sew the handles onto the sides before I crocheted the whole bag together. It certainly was so much easier.

Does anyone know how to make the handles stronger.

Thanks, Wendy...

I finished attaching the handles tonight, and when I make my own bag I definitely will attach them BEFORE putting the bag together! It was harder than it should have been.

I did go down a hook size when making this and chose not to make a lining this time around. I do have a double thickness of plastic canvas I'll be wrapping with nice fabric to put in as a removable base on the bottom of the bag.

Re the handles - I crocheted a border all around them to (hopefully) lessen any stretching...if that's what you are referring to.

It feels so GOOD to be this close to finishing! :yes

You are all doing great on your bags. I think I have one more side pocket and the handles then I get to put it all together.

Wendy I'm thinking of making the handles twice as wide and then folding them, putting the fabric in the middle and crocheting them up. Does that make sense? :think If not I can try to explain better. I think the fabric will help give it the strength it needs.

Well if I ever get to it I'll let you know how it turns out :lol The rate I'm going it'll be done by Easter. I'll try to work on it towards the end of this week. I have to get caught up on other ghans this week so I probably won't get to the tote till this weekend.

I love seeing all the beautiful totes!

Happyoldcrow; that was a GREAT idea to make a pocket inside that spans the width of the lining for patterns. I think I'll do that on my next tote. I've made 2 of these already so I'm not sure what my next tote will be lol but love your idea there.

You are all doing great on your bags. I think I have one more side pocket and the handles then I get to put it all together.

Wendy I'm thinking of making the handles twice as wide and then folding them, putting the fabric in the middle and crocheting them up. Does that make sense? :think If not I can try to explain better. I think the fabric will help give it the strength it needs.

Donna that's what I did with a purse I made. I didn't feel like sewing the lining to the handles after it took forever just to sew the regular lining in. So I folded the handles in half with the fabric in the middle and stitched it up! It made a neat looking handle too!

Good luck! I'm still trying to finish this darn thing! I love how it looks so far, and I hope my mom likes it too, I might get it done by her Bday (Dec 7). Otherwise, it will be for Christmas.

Amy the idea for the straps is great.

Pucker Purse! pattern has a great idea to use plastic canvas in a bag if you want it to stand up to add more to the bag. This one uses it on the bottom and front & back. Plus lining a bag that's not flat. I also like the idea to use her daughters hair clips to pin the pieces together, might work for this one since the pockets make it thick (from what others have said, I'm not there yet...:blush ) I thought it might help some with this CAL too...

I really like the pattern. I might make it when I'm not working on afghans (or I might make it, and then keep an afghan-in-the-works in it). Does it have to be made out of cotton? I don't really want to spend $27 on it---that would almost pay for an afghan!

"Happyoldcrow; that was a GREAT idea to make a pocket inside that spans the width of the lining for patterns. I think I'll do that on my next tote. I've made 2 of these already so I'm not sure what my next tote will be lol but love your idea there."

Thanks Kazily, I hate when the patterns or mags get all wrinkled and folded when you stuff them in a bag with other items. This way they have a pocket all their own.

Can't wait for the next pic, I love all the creative versions everyone makes.

Yaviiniia, I think the purpose of the cotton was to have a minimum of stretch, but you can try other yarns. You will probably have to reinforce with a good lining, especially straps.

I really like the pattern. I might make it when I'm not working on afghans (or I might make it, and then keep an afghan-in-the-works in it). Does it have to be made out of cotton? I don't really want to spend $27 on it---that would almost pay for an afghan!

You don't have to use cotton yarn to make the tote. I used worsted wt. yarn and 1 strand of crochet thread to make my tote. (The crochet thread was used to help keep the worsted wt. yarn from stretching too much/getting out of shape. Acrylic yarn stretches more than cotton.)

I did a Quick Reference for Helpful Links/Postings for Eight-pocket Tote CAL here (post #502) if anyone wants/needs to take a look at it. I try to keep it updated with new info/links whenever possible. :)

You don't necessarily have to use Lion Brand cotton yarn either - any brand of yarn that is 100% cotton that is worsted weight/4 - medium should work. The Lion Brand cotton yarn is nice and there are some colors that you can't find in other brands of cotton yarn.

HTH! :hook

Archived