Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

I have it all assembled except for the second little pocket and the straps, and then I'm going to line it and put the fastening and the applique on. Sometime I'm going to make one in black and white, lined with music themed fabric, for my piano teacher, who besides being an excellent piano teacher, has given me a ton of yarn, crochet hooks, and knitting needles.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have it all assembled except for the second little pocket and the straps, and then I'm going to line it and put the fastening and the applique on. Sometime I'm going to make one in black and white, lined with music themed fabric, for my piano teacher, who besides being an excellent piano teacher, has given me a ton of yarn, crochet hooks, and knitting needles.

Now that sounds lovely...

I have the pieces done, just have to put it together. But Im burnt out. I keep looking at them and telling myself to be done with it, but just cant seem to bring myself to do it. Well, hopefully it will be done before July cause its going to be a mini diaper bag for our baby due in July.

Click below for pix of the tote:

http://indigoskyeart.blogspot.com/2007/12/8-pocket-two-toned-carry-all-tote.html

For some reason I could not get my Blogger to add another photo to the post, sooooo, here's a photo of the lining (w and w/o flash):

100_0685-vi.jpg

100_0686-vi.jpg

Loaded up and ready for the next project which should beginnnn, Saturday at our Sister Circle over at "A's" house. I can't wait. :clap

100_0687-vi.jpg

What did I learn from this project:

1) For now ('til I get better) try and use yarn specified in the pattern. The main reason I am not overly concerned about how this turned out is because this yarn was purchased to make an afghan for my grandson, Baby Michael. Well, he's deceased now and at least I will get to look at this yarn, and use this tote for my WIP's in his memory. How cool is that? Wanna see Baby Michael? He was one of the coolest kids I know. Here's a link: http://public.fotki.com/lovinlocks/my-luvs/

2) Don't alter the pattern (again, only for now, 'til I get more skill). From looking at the photo, and even the measuring tape I decided the bag HAD to be waaay to small for its intended use. Soooo, I added a lil more width (who DID I think I was??) :lol

Thanks gals for all your support.

It is gorgeous...and so is little Michael, what a beautiful angel...love that little face.

How great that you have dedicated your tote to him.

The cranes on the lining (in full flight) are the perfect symbol of his flight to the heavens.

You are right on track about the things you learn when doing projects. Even the disappointments turn into successes, as they are pearls of wisdom that we learn.

You have a very successful future ahead of you, for you have learned what takes others a lifetime to understand. :applause:hug

How sad, the picture of the totes and everyone's individual totes did not come up.:(

I will have to spend some time to see why I cnanot get into Lionbrand list. Weird maybe has to do with AOL.

I hope I can see this tote and get the free pattern form Lionbrand and make it. I sure could use something like this.

How sad, the picture of the totes and everyone's individual totes did not come up.:(

I will have to spend some time to see why I cnanot get into Lionbrand list. Weird maybe has to do with AOL.

I hope I can see this tote and get the free pattern form Lionbrand and make it. I sure could use something like this.

If you have a firewall on your computer, try turning it off BEFORE going to the Lionbrand web site. If you can get there without any problems after turning off your firewall, then the problem is with your firewall and not AOL.

I had a similar problem with some Epson albums and a chat site when I first installed a firewall on my computer. I finally figured out the problem and fixed it so I could leave my firewall on and still visit the "problem" sites.

HTH! :hook

I had trouble bringing up the pattern until I turned off my popup blocker.

I have the tote all assembled, the applique stitched on, and the lining all sewed up and pinned in! All I'm waiting for is my mom to show me the blind stitch (I think that's what it's called) so I can sew the lining in the tote!!!

Pretty soon I'll have something to keep my coat-in-progress in!

Click below for pix of the tote:

http://indigoskyeart.blogspot.com/2007/12/8-pocket-two-toned-carry-all-tote.html

For some reason I could not get my Blogger to add another photo to the post, sooooo, here's a photo of the lining (w and w/o flash):

100_0685-vi.jpg

100_0686-vi.jpg

Loaded up and ready for the next project which should beginnnn, Saturday at our Sister Circle over at "A's" house. I can't wait. :clap

100_0687-vi.jpg

What did I learn from this project:

1) For now ('til I get better) try and use yarn specified in the pattern. The main reason I am not overly concerned about how this turned out is because this yarn was purchased to make an afghan for my grandson, Baby Michael. Well, he's deceased now and at least I will get to look at this yarn, and use this tote for my WIP's in his memory. How cool is that? Wanna see Baby Michael? He was one of the coolest kids I know. Here's a link: http://public.fotki.com/lovinlocks/my-luvs/

2) Don't alter the pattern (again, only for now, 'til I get more skill). From looking at the photo, and even the measuring tape I decided the bag HAD to be waaay to small for its intended use. Soooo, I added a lil more width (who DID I think I was??) :lol

Thanks gals for all your support.

Your tote turned out really nice, love the lining. I always change patterns a little, too. I like to put my own twist on things.

Thanks for sharing the link about Baby Michael. What a sweet angel.

Katie :hug

I finished all six tote bags for Christmas, but I didn't get pictures of all of them. I made them 3 pocket totes so that I could get them done on time. Here are the pics I did get:

For my mom:

t126827785.jpg

t126827045.jpg

For my great aunt:

t126827694.jpg

t126827668.jpg

For my grandma:

t126827965.jpg

For my grandmother-in-law:

t126826928.jpg

The pics I don't have are my mother-in-law's, which is black and trimmed in fluffy green yarn (inspired by the musical Wicked) and my stepmother-in-laws, which is buff and blue.

I was just thinking of starting one of these myself - if you used cotton did you still find it necessary to line the bag? I really dislike doing linings.

I was just thinking of starting one of these myself - if you used cotton did you still find it necessary to line the bag? I really dislike doing linings.

Not necessary if you use cotton AND you keep your hooks and small things in a pouch or roll, otherwise (depending on your hook and tension) they may fall through any gaps or holes.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay!!!

She went and got the materials and lining materials, and gave me the measurements she wanted, MUCH the same, just smaller..here are the pics, clickable

th_100_1019.jpg

th_100_1018.jpg

I guess I will just HAVE to go to knit picks and place an order now!! Thanks! I have been looking for an opportunity and here it is. Now to decide to spend the $45 to get free shipping or not! I will get started on this right away!

Very nice snugs, like the color combo. Straps don't look bad, as long as it does what you want to use it for, and you are OK with it.

JoBug, I like it, the brown with the variegated straps go well together. Did you widen the straps or does it look that way cause the bag is smaller? Either way, I think it is a good idea. I may try that the next time....(did I say that?)

I am getting that urge to make another, but really have so much stuff to do now....

Maybe in the spring....

Welcome to the group elaine, hope you enjoy your stay. Be careful these totes are contagious :lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the same sized handles as the patten called for, thats what she wanted, so they would go over her shoulder AND be wide to kinda make it more pretty....ty!

Very nice snugs, like the color combo. Straps don't look bad, as long as it does what you want to use it for, and you are OK with it.

JoBug, I like it, the brown with the variegated straps go well together. Did you widen the straps or does it look that way cause the bag is smaller? Either way, I think it is a good idea. I may try that the next time....(did I say that?)

I am getting that urge to make another, but really have so much stuff to do now....

Maybe in the spring....

Welcome to the group elaine, hope you enjoy your stay. Be careful these totes are contagious :lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost doen with mine. I got so bored with this pattern. Maybe because that's all I worked on over the weekend. I ran out of black cotton, otherwise I would have finished it. Luckly I was watching the race yesterday so it did go kinda fast. The straps drove me nuts.. 7 stitches and turn....7 stitches and turn...

Archived