Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

. I got so bored with this pattern. The straps drove me nuts.. 7 stitches and turn....7 stitches and turn...

:laughroll, Tigermom, you are a gal after my own heart. After doing this I paid a lil more attention to tote's (particularly felted ones) and I am convinced I can do a tote with less hassle. I felt guilty for thinking that way [er um only for a min.], now after reading this I am seriously crackin' up. I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with ya.

:goodorbad

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I just looked at someones picture and looks like you used the same fabric as the main lining :P I should look more closely before opening my mouth and asking stupid questions. :blush

First of all, "T" is was NOT a stupid question. Second, get this, I used, and have seen grosgrain ribbon used. Now seeee . . .

• 2 months later...

I wanted to do this CAL when it was first posted, but just now managed to buy the yarn, and now I have a question...

Did anyone use Sugar & Cream instead? If so... can you tell me if 2 regular skeins of ombre for the contrasting color is enough? :think Or should I buy one more? Decisions and math- the two things I am the worst at! :yes

Everyone's bags look Fantastic! I have this tote on my very long TO DO list and it will be yrs prolly before I get to it. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful photos everyone! Keep up the great job! :clap

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't officially join this CAL but I have made 2 of them for 2 different swaps and now that they both have their totes I thought I would share the pics with you.

DSC01378.jpg

This is the first one that I did. It is lined with some Statue of Liberty Fabric. I also left off the button closure as I wasn't sure I would like it on there.

100_0850.jpg

This is the second one that I made. This one is also lined and this time I lined the handles as well so that they wouldn't stretch if something heavy was put in the tote. The button closure was also put on this one.

These totes are so much fun! :yay

To solve the problem of stretchy straps, add some clear fishing line to the acrylic yarn when making the straps. I read this somewhere, but don't remember where.

You can also use cotton crochet thread with the yarn as well.

Cora

This was my first 'major' project. I'm very pleased with the results. What do you think?

8PocketTote.jpg[made with Lion Brand 100% cotton - color seaspray and sage]

8PocketTote2.jpg[as the yarn was so stretchy, added satin lining inside tote and along the straps]

I think I'm in for this one!! I haven't picked out colors yet, but I will probably stop at Joann's on my way to an ice cream social. I've been looking at totes to add on to the Electronics Cozy Gift Set that I'm making my WebGoddess friend (includes laptop sleeve, ipod cozy, and cellphone cozy). This looks like it would be fun and easy.

Where might one find the pattern for this electronics set? This would be a perfect christmas gift for a friend of mine.

I've read through some of the posts in this thread, but not all (good grief.. 88pages!!) so I'm not sure this question has been answered. Please excuse me if someone else has already asked this.

Has anyone made this out of wool and felted it? Would you felt the pieces first and then put it together (running the risk of some shrinking too much and others not enough) or sew it together and then felting it.. and if you did that, how do you keep the pockets from felting to the body?

Thanks for any feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ladies, there are some pretty nifty totes amongst these 80 odd pages :D I've had a read through of the pattern tonight and decided to give it a try.

I have a couple of questions though and hope someone can help me out.

I can't get worsted weight cotton yarn over here, the thickest I've found is DK to me and I think Sportweight in the US so I'm going to have to use acrylic yarn.

Has anyone who has used acrylic had trouble with the bag stretching out of shape?

I will sew in a lining and probably something to stabilise it somewhat.

Did anyone line the straps and if so - how? I'm thinking just sewing a long strip of fabric the length of the straps should work....am I on the right track? I do have some experience with sewing it's just sometimes I have to talk it out before I start ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I've read through some of the posts in this thread, but not all (good grief.. 88pages!!) so I'm not sure this question has been answered. Please excuse me if someone else has already asked this.

Has anyone made this out of wool and felted it? Would you felt the pieces first and then put it together (running the risk of some shrinking too much and others not enough) or sew it together and then felting it.. and if you did that, how do you keep the pockets from felting to the body?

Thanks for any feedback.

I've been off this thread for a while...but if the pockets are open, they will stay open. Everything just shrinks a bit and the stitches loose their definition. You would have to make the dimensions a bot bigger, and then check it as you were felting it to see how much it was shrinking.

You would have to make it completely first, then felt it...once felted it's impossible to crochet into it, etc. Just make sure NOT to get "Washable Wool"....then you would be trying to felt it forever...and it won't ever do it.

Hi ladies, there are some pretty nifty totes amongst these 80 odd pages :D I've had a read through of the pattern tonight and decided to give it a try.

I have a couple of questions though and hope someone can help me out.

I can't get worsted weight cotton yarn over here, the thickest I've found is DK to me and I think Sportweight in the US so I'm going to have to use acrylic yarn.

Has anyone who has used acrylic had trouble with the bag stretching out of shape?

I will sew in a lining and probably something to stabilise it somewhat.

Did anyone line the straps and if so - how? I'm thinking just sewing a long strip of fabric the length of the straps should work....am I on the right track? I do have some experience with sewing it's just sometimes I have to talk it out before I start ;)

Some here used thin crochet cotton (doily stuff) and crocheted along WITH the acrylic, using the 2 strands, and it seemed to help them with the straps not stretching, so I;d imagine you could do the same with the body of it.

I used plastic canvas to line another purse I made (out of WW), covering it with fabric. It kept the shape nicely.

Archived