Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

Hi everyone,

I was wondering approx how much acrylic yarn is needed for this bag. I have almost a full skein of variagated RHSS, would that be enough for the bag? I would use contrasting solid coors for the pockets and strap.

Trying to use up some of my stash..

Thanks!

Katie

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone,

I was wondering approx how much acrylic yarn is needed for this bag. I have almost a full skein of variagated RHSS, would that be enough for the bag? I would use contrasting solid coors for the pockets and strap.

Trying to use up some of my stash..

Thanks!

Katie

I made mine using approximately 8 oz of cotton for body and 8 oz of simply soft for pockets and top gusset (I made mine with a top and zipper closure) and some odd amounts for straps and trim. It is a good sized bag, how many ounces is the skein you have?

I made mine using approximately 8 oz of cotton for body and 8 oz of simply soft for pockets and top gusset (I made mine with a top and zipper closure) and some odd amounts for straps and trim. It is a good sized bag, how many ounces is the skein you have?

I believe it is 6 oz. I have only used enough out of it to make the sole of a slipper (a long abandoned project:badidea.) I still have that sole, could frog it if necessary. The variagate is pretty shades of lavender, cream, and greens, and I have lots of solid lavenders and greens to use for the pockets and trim. I think what I will do is start with the solid and crochet approx 1/3 of the front and back of the tote then change to the variagate, then the solid will be covered up by the pockets and the variagate will show at the top.. (I hope this makes sense.)

I bookmarked the posts where you told how you made your tote because I liked it so much, I'll definitely go back and refer to those posts. I'm thinking a zippered top would be good for me, too, because I have two cats that love to "help" me play with the yarn.

Well, thanks for your reply and have a good night!

Katie :hook

Has anyone made this tote out of acrylic yarn. Having trouble finding cotton that I like

Yes, I made mine with RH WW yarn & Paton's Canadiana (knitting worsted wt.) and used a matching crochet thread with the yarn. I still have to sew in the lining along with doing some of the extra things I want to do to it before it can be declared as finished though. :lol (I've been too busy with work and other things to finish up the bag. :( )

If anyone needs help for making the bag, please remember that I have this posting for Helpful Links/Postings for it:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=920192&postcount=502

HTH! :hook

Just completed the straps and tab, did the sc on top edges of all pockets. Now I need to decide how I am going to attach everything:

hand sew

machine sew

????

I believe it is 6 oz. I have only used enough out of it to make the sole of a slipper (a long abandoned project:badidea.) I still have that sole, could frog it if necessary. The variagate is pretty shades of lavender, cream, and greens, and I have lots of solid lavenders and greens to use for the pockets and trim. I think what I will do is start with the solid and crochet approx 1/3 of the front and back of the tote then change to the variagate, then the solid will be covered up by the pockets and the variagate will show at the top.. (I hope this makes sense.)

I bookmarked the posts where you told how you made your tote because I liked it so much, I'll definitely go back and refer to those posts. I'm thinking a zippered top would be good for me, too, because I have two cats that love to "help" me play with the yarn.

Well, thanks for your reply and have a good night!

Makes perfect sense to me, and I bet it will look great. If you ever get stuck, either I or someone else will be here for you. Can't wait to see it done, have fun with it.

Just completed the straps and tab, did the sc on top edges of all pockets. Now I need to decide how I am going to attach everything:

hand sew

machine sew

????

I tried machine sewing on lining, don't know how good or heavy duty of a machine you have, but my old baby struggled with it, so I switched to the hand sewing for joining, but used a heavy quilt thread. Then I topped stitched (crocheted) over that for trimming the joined pieces. I guess it would depend on your machine.

:hug:2blush I just realized what you said, I am so flattered. Thank you!!!

Good deal (re. the crochet attaching). That's what I'll do. I like the idea about ribbon on the handles, but alas, if I am not going to do denim I am going to seriously try to find fabric from my stash vs. going shopping.

I have all the pieces done, and I have all the stuff I need to finish it, but unfortunately whenever I want to start lining it, there's stuff all over the table, so I can't. :(

And on a completely different topic, I found out what makes Aquaman so great...cod liver oil! (just kidding LOL)

I have all the pieces done, and I have all the stuff I need to finish it, but unfortunately whenever I want to start lining it, there's stuff all over the table, so I can't. :(

That is why I love my sewing table. It is on wheels and all nice and compact until I pull it out, open it up and lift up the drop leaf. Then I have a nice clear place to do my cutting, pinning and ironing.

http://stitchnlockscrochet.blogspot.com/2007/12/8-pocket-two-toned-carry-all-tote.html

I'm prepping the lining at this point. Thank you gals for all your encouragement. :hook

Your tote looks nice! I hope to be able to start mine, soon. Just have to finish a couple of (ahem) *late* Christmas gifts. They're for immed. family so they won't mind. (They're used to it. LOL)

On your blog, you show a picture of a project tote that you sold because you didn't like it. I almost bought two of them the other day from (I think) Lillian Vernon, I have the site bookmarked but can't find it right now. I make too many impulsive buys on line, so decided to hold off for a day or two. Was wondering what you did not like about them. They looked pretty nifty to store yarn in, if nothing else. Well, would appreciate your honest opinion, you might save me $25 bucks or so. I think they were on sale for around $11.oo or so plus shipping, of course.

Have fun finishing your tote.

Katie:hook

Hi Kate,

First, thank you so much for the comp. Second, I am glad you asked (about the tote). Yes Lillian Vernon does sell them. I am trying to remember where I got mine . . . .I paid $18.00 (plus s/h) for TWO of them. Good deal compared to what I saw on e-Bay. I sold one to a girlfriend.

K, what I did NOT like about the tote that I had: Okay, there are various pockets as you mentioned; however, when you zip the bag open there is a wall of fabric that seperated into to compartments. One side is the one with four zipper to put skeins in, then thread through the hole out of the top of the tote. Well, that "wall" is not sewn down in the bag so the skeins go all willy nilly throughout the bag. IOW, those four zippered compartments that you see . . . the black wall behind them is not secured to the floor of the tote thereby allowing the yarn to move about.

On the top of the tote near where the yarn feeds through the top there are these velcro fasteners. Well, the yarn I was using (boucle) would get caught in those velcro fasteners. Not sure what they were needed for. Only thing I could think of is possibly to hold the piece of yarn that is sticking out?????

The tote looks good, but was more trouble than its worth thus I am making THIS 8 pocket tote that I believe I will like much better.

Holler if you have more questions or if I did not make my reasoning clear, Kate. ;)

Hi Kate,

K, what I did NOT like about the tote that I had: Okay, there are various pockets as you mentioned; however, when you zip the bag open there is a wall of fabric that seperated into to compartments. One side is the one with four zipper to put skeins in, then thread through the hole out of the top of the tote. Well, that "wall" is not sewn down in the bag so the skeins go all willy nilly throughout the bag. IOW, those four zippered compartments that you see . . . the black wall behind them is not secured to the floor of the tote thereby allowing the yarn to move about.

On the top of the tote near where the yarn feeds through the top there are these velcro fasteners. Well, the yarn I was using (boucle) would get caught in those velcro fasteners. Not sure what they were needed for. Only thing I could think of is possibly to hold the piece of yarn that is sticking out?????

The tote looks good, but was more trouble than its worth thus I am making THIS 8 pocket tote that I believe I will like much better.

I appreciate the info too, I was eyeing that bag also, (one can never have too many totes, :lol) and now I know it would not make me happy. Thank You...

Went to Jo-Ann, purchased gros grain for the handle. This evening I sewed one of the handles, the other is pinned. Makin' progress. IF I ever make another what I will do differently thus far:

1) Use specified yarn and gauge. I think the acrylic I am using is a liiil bit soft.

2) Block the pieces before sewing all pcs. together.

Hi Kate,

First, thank you so much for the comp. Second, I am glad you asked (about the tote). Yes Lillian Vernon does sell them. I am trying to remember where I got mine . . . .I paid $18.00 (plus s/h) for TWO of them. Good deal compared to what I saw on e-Bay. I sold one to a girlfriend.

Holler if you have more questions or if I did not make my reasoning clear, Kate. ;)

Thank you! After reading this, I am so glad I did not order them. Sounds like they weren't as nifty as they looked in the photo. I'll just have to keep using my plastic Target and Wally World bags for now, til I get my tote finished. Be sure to post a picture of yours when you are done!

Have a good night!

Archived