Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

Started sewing in the lining...bribed Mom to help me do that part so I can assemble and trim faster.

A lining is a good idea also. Maybe can it be sewen in before putting it together?

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of doing just that. I started mine last evening and frogged it 3 times! Had some trouble with the pattern - kept coming out wrong and my piece which was at that time only about 2 or 3 inches was really wonky! Finally got it right and am now about 3/4 through the front side. Decided to make my main color black ----- BIG MISTAKE! Very hard on the eyes! Contrasting color is raspberry.

I made a fat bottom bag and lined it before sewing it together. Thought I would try that theory on this bag. I plan to stitch the lining in leaving a row along the sides to crochet it together. Hope it works!:think

Lynn

Mine I am making with Vanna' s yarn called charcoal. Its varigated with black and greys. The handles are going to be gray. Husband asked that I Kind of make it "manley" so I am....... The black is kind of hard to see though. I agree there. Im on my 2nd attempt.

OH NO! I just bought black sugar n cream for the main color!! It really is a bad idea??? If there any color hook that would make it easier to see the stitches? I just saw a set of clear hooks at ac moore yesterday and the packaging said "great to use with dark yarn" Anyone used them?

I'm sure it won't be too bad. My eyes are not as young as they used to be! A year ago I could do a whole afghan in all black but now the black seems to bother me more. Maybe I should go to Jewel and get a stronger pair of reading glasses! I have to say the black works up very pretty so its worth the little bit of eye strain! I'm using a turquoise hook size I.

Lynn

I'm not LittleJadeFrog/Stephanie but I know where she got the pattern for the hook holder. :) According to her post here, she made it longer cuz for some reason it was too short for her needles and she added two more "pockets."

You can find more links for hook holders in my post here for the Quick Reference for Helpful Links/Postings for Eight-pocket Tote CAL (it's #502 on page 51 for this CAL).

HTH! :hook

Thanks for giving her the answer. I have been out of commission for a couple. MAN! The bags are looking TERRIF!! Good job each and every!

Black isn't TOO bad if you have good lighting and a light color background. If you're wearing something dark, try putting a white pillowcase or towel on your lap to improve contrast.

THIS is a brilliant tip! I HATE dark colors and try to avoid them at all costs!

I plan on making a black bag too, not this pattern though. I am still debating on lining first and then crocheting together, or crocheting together and then lining. Until then its sitting unassembled until I get to a fabric store. All my local ones closed, including walmarts section.

I made a fat bottom bag and lined it before sewing it together. Thought I would try that theory on this bag. I plan to stitch the lining in leaving a row along the sides to crochet it together. Hope it works!:think

Lynn

That is how I did mine, pics are a few pages back. It worked out good except I think I left too much on the edges for sewing.

Black isn't TOO bad if you have good lighting and a light color background. If you're wearing something dark, try putting a white pillowcase or towel on your lap to improve contrast.

Or if anyone is looking for a new excuse to buy a crochet hook, you may want to try getting one of the lighted crochet hooks by Clover. I know I've seen some sizes marked down/on clearance at some Joann stores already.

You can also order/buy the hooks here for $5.99 plus s/h:

http://knitlite.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28

ThUD for the above links!

HTH! :hook

I plan on making a black bag too, not this pattern though. I am still debating on lining first and then crocheting together, or crocheting together and then lining. Until then its sitting unassembled until I get to a fabric store. All my local ones closed, including walmarts section.

Most of the WalMart stores around here have gotten really sparse in their yarn/fabric dept. We have a brand new Super WalMArt pretty close to our home and the other day when I was there they only had a very small bin of left over yarn and some jumbled up fabric. I wonder if WalMart is phasing out that dept?? Anyone know??

Lynn

I finished the front of mine. I'll post pictures this weekend, hopefully (the digital camera I use is my sisters), and I might have the back done by then. My mom's thinking of making one too (although not in a Disney Princess color scheme, of course).

Most of the WalMart stores around here have gotten really sparse in their yarn/fabric dept. We have a brand new Super WalMArt pretty close to our home and the other day when I was there they only had a very small bin of left over yarn and some jumbled up fabric. I wonder if WalMart is phasing out that dept?? Anyone know??

Lynn

It's been discussed here a few times. Aparently all walmarts are. However there are some that haven't even come close (mine). Sounds like yours is.

I finished the front of mine. I'll post pictures this weekend, hopefully (the digital camera I use is my sisters), and I might have the back done by then. My mom's thinking of making one too (although not in a Disney Princess color scheme, of course).

I can't wait to see it. I need to finish up mine...

Lynn

My Walmart (lol, no it isn't really mine), is doing great with fabric and sewing, but cutting back on yarn stuff, they are expanding other areas like scrapbooking and even more of the plastic canvas and cross stitch. I understand that each store is looking at what sells best for them.

My Walmart (lol, no it isn't really mine), is doing great with fabric and sewing, but cutting back on yarn stuff, they are expanding other areas like scrapbooking and even more of the plastic canvas and cross stitch. I understand that each store is looking at what sells best for them.

Awww, and I was hoping it really was your store! I was going to come visit!:hook Yes, I know what you mean. One WalMart close by still has lots of yarn while the bigger super WalMart has next to nothing

Lynn

Hi, Carol!

I made my tote for my SP, so I didn't post it as soon as I finished - have also gotten way behind in posting pics to my blog and elsewhere. Have to get cracking!!

:yay :yay I finally finished mine. :yay :yay

I didn't line it though. I haven't decided if I'm going to or not but here it is!

th_crochet259.jpgclickable

I made my side pockets into a little pocket tethered onto the tote.

Archived