Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully today Mom and I can figure out the lining...how to cut the pieces, etc, then I can start to assemble the bag.

this is where I'm at. The lining. I still am checking others and when I get a larger block of time, I'm going to sit down with my fabric and bag and figure it out. I'm not a sewer:no , and so this one is a bit tougher for me. But I do want to finsih it!:yes and I will. So I'm looking at everyone elses bags to see their lining and am loving all the ideas.

I like the recycled shirt idea. I bet you could find other items to use, maybe a sheet or blanket or even an old coat lining or maybe even some fabric someone donated, sometimes I see that... hmm... maybe just a browse through and see what they have. But I have mine, but it's a good idea for future bags. Thanks for the idea.

Debbi

Craft stores sell fleece - it doesn't unravel and you could at least whipstitich it into the big panels...:think

Oh thaat's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind. I've accumulated some other WIPs in the meantime (somehow:think ....:lol ) and so I'll probably work on this later but keep thinking of how I'm going to do the lining.

Debbi

Hi all,

I haven't checked the posts in awhile. Looks like everyone is making terrific progress. Don't forget to send me photos of your finished bags, I'd love to see them and post a blog entry. So far I have only received 2 photos.

Margaret

MHDesigner1@aol.com

Finally making some progress on my tote. Just attached and panel and pocket to the gusset, but now it's not gonna have side pockets b/c after I was halfway across the bottom, I realized I forgot it. Oh well, I'll make it into a little change purse or something.

Hopefully I can finish putting it all together, then figure out the lining tomorrow.

Has anyone lined the handles? I'm doing a lining on the main purse and the pockets, but was considering seriously putting the lining fabric on the handles to get them to stretch less. I used Lion Cotton for the whole thing. Any thoughts?

Kathy - I've been thinking about lining my handles as well. The pink/blue purse I made a while ago had a semi-wide handle that I was gonna sew some fabric lining to, but when I attached the main lining, I decided to just wrap the handle around the fabric handle lining and whip stiched the sides of the strap together.

Make sense?

Don't know if it will work well with this pattern though since the handles aren't really that wide, but I'm still trying to decide what to do with it, b/c the crocheted purse I've got the strap stretches a lot and I don't want this one to quite as much.

Harmonise,

Did you ever get the pattern for the Icelandic shawl which appears on your blog. OMG that is beautiful, I'd love to make that.

I have not gotten to it yet, still collecting (unraveling) the yarn for it...and i keep getting distracted by other projects.

I finished my 8 pocket tote. I used a canvas belting material for my straps and I attached them lengthwise so the bag is more like a messagener type of bag. I used plastic canvas to line the bag, and then used material to make the inside of the bag along with 2 pockets. I only did the big pockets on the outside of the bag. I didn't have any batteries to take photo's but this link is to the photo's of the bag that my swap partner took.

http://tinyurl.com/2hbprc

it's post #62 just in case this doesn't bring you right to it. Now to make the time so I can make one just like it for myself, except I think instead of plastic canvas I would just use heavy duty interfacing.

Kathy...yes, I did line the handles...you can check my blog for pics. I'm glad I did it because I've been carrying some heavier stuff around in it, and I think the cotton would have stretched. However, if I had it to do over again I'd add some stiff interfacing to the fabric because after I used the tote a few time the straps started to roll and the fabric scrunched up a bit. I just like everything to lie flat...I guess it's 'cause I'm such a perfectionist! :)

Hi friends, I actually made this bag for the alheimers auction. in purple and off white suger and cream yarn. I didn't line it, I felt it would take away from it...or I am lazy..lol...

for the handles to strengthen them up, I added a row of sc all around each handle before I attatched them...

will have to see if I can get pics yet....

Hi everyone,:cheer Sorry I have not been around but I have been helping my daughter with my newborn grandson. I am half way finished with the second side of my tote bag. I take it everywhere I go and get a row or two done. :hook Now that my daughter is finally getting the hang of motherhood, I can get back into my norm of crocheting everyday and get this bag finished. Hugs :hug

Ok ok you twisted my arm :)

Actually I just realized that my roommate's birthday is in about a week and a half. Thought this would make a great school bag!

I'm in!

Gotta go look through my stash...do byou think acrylic yarn would do the trick? I have loads of that lying around...

Jess...I think some ladies made it in acrylic...I might use a smaller hook than normal, though, with that. Lots of us are lining them, too. I have some fleece I may use and also put fabric over a piece of plasticcanvas for the bottom ot it. Lots of good hints as you look back on the posts.

Jess...I think some ladies made it in acrylic...I might use a smaller hook than normal, though, with that. Lots of us are lining them, too. I have some fleece I may use and also put fabric over a piece of plasticcanvas for the bottom ot it. Lots of good hints as you look back on the posts.

Thanks! Yeh I am definately going to use plastic canvas and lining. I only have until the 2nd of October to finish though!! I have about 3 inches done already and I'm LOVING this stitch pattern. I think I may end up making a scarf out of it eventually. :hook

For those just starting in the CAL for the bag, you might want to read my post here for kind of a Quick Reference:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=920192&postcount=502

The bag really doesn't take long to make if you have the time to crochet. I've got my bag almost done except I have to find the time to sew up/in the lining for it as well as a few other odds and ends of things I want to do to the bag before I'll consider it done. :lol Unfortunately, I've been too busy with my work and family things and haven't had the time to finish it up once I got the lining & interfacing cut out for it - otherwise mine would have been done awhile back! :(

I also want to make some more of the bags to use for gifts for my dgds.

HTH! :hook

Just wanted to say that I am still crocheting along on my tote and hopefully I will see a finished product soon. As you can see I am a slow poke but I am getting there. LOL :hook

Archived