What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

Oh boy . . . Once upon a time I had a severe case of tunnel vision. I would pick my pattern, buy the yarn, and finish the project before I'd even look at another project.:hook

This was long before the :compute internet, and the amazing and wonderful things :gallery other crafters were making. I had no idea there was "natural" fibers out there. The ONLY yarn I ever used then was Red Heart Super Saver.

Now, I have a spare room bursting with various skeins :c9 . . . most purchased for a specific project in mind. However, I absoluetly cannot pass up a great sale.

Case in point: Yesterday I clicked over to Smiley's Yarn (my 1st mistake). They had Paton's Carmen on Blow Out Sale (until 5/31st if anyone's interested :devil ) for $0.99/skein. I have been wanting to make an afghan out of this yarn since it came out, and have been buying it at Michaels when they have it on sale . Well . . . I bought enough for an afghan yesterday, and probably a bunch of scarves. Along with a few other skeins that were on sale.:blush

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to buy yarn with projects in mind. But I my discipline breaks down if a) a new yarn line shows up a a local store and I want to buy just one ball to try out or b) a nice yarn is on sale at a steep discount.

I said both... when I am in America if yarn is on sale I snatch it up and figure out how to use it later. In Russia if I see something I really like I buy it because it may not be there the next time!

I usually buy without anything specific in mind, depending on what I find on sale, or what I might have a coupon for. Our Hancock Fabrics is going out of business, and I bought a lot of yarn there at a great discount. :D I also bought a bunch of yarn at a Hobby Lobby when we were out of town recently - I'd never been to one before and instantly fell in love with some of their Yarn Bee yarns.

Even buying things at random like that, though, I usually have some sort of vague idea what it will eventually turn into - this would be nice for an afghan, or a shawl, etc. I do sometimes buy with a specific project in mind, but only after looking through my stash first. I made all the presents for our friends this past Christmas from my stash. :D

I am an equal opportunity yarn buyer. I discriminate against no yarn. I don't have to love them all - but I do have to try them all!

With a pattern/without a pattern - I buy both ways. Lately, I try to only buy WITH a pattern in mind, but sometimes the yarn is the inspiration to go looking for a pattern.

Does that make any sense?:blush

A little of both. I usually purchase with a project in mind, but if there is a really good sale of a yarn I want to try or use often I will buy then as well.

Wendyb532

Both. At first I just bought a few skeins of a bunch of different yarns to try them out. Now I usually buy with a project in mind though I still will try out a skein of yarn occasionally. Sometimes I am tempted by yarn sales but if I can't fathom how I could use the yarn then I don't get it.

I buys for the project. Since I know that the way I crochet and the person who designed the project probably crochet differently, I usually buy one extra skein of yarn per color.

Most of the time I can take the extra full skein back to my LYS, but chances are it will be added to the yarn stash for the "incase I run out during a project and I'll need it", "I'll do a scrapghan", "I can learn to make slippers!" scenarios. :blush

I do both, however, it has to be a pretty special yarn that is totally uncommon compared to the other yarn that is normally in the store. I have one storage bin for my yarn, one 4 quart with all my yarn. Then I have a 2 quart one with thread and hooks and other items in it. I have limited space, so if I buy more yarn, it has to be on a project I am working on. I have limited myself with the space, so that I don't become addicted. Besides, the yarn gets expensive and it has to totally wow me before I will buy it.

I usually have a project in mind when I buy yarn, but that doesn't mean that once I buy the yarn, I work on the project. So I have different skeins/balls in my yarn closet and they are all dedicated to WIMs. It's pretty funny, actually when I root through my yarn to find something to work swatches with: nope not this one, it's going to be a pair of socks; nope not this one either, it's going to be a scarf. :lol

I do both... go to the store to get something specific for a project. (or even "I need more eyes...") and end up with what I went there for, AND the "oooh that's new/interesting" or "oooh look what's in the closeout bin."

Or worse, "I'll just stop by the yarn shop and see what's in today... It's not like I need anything...." (yeah, doomed from the moment I say "but it's ok, I'm not going to BUY anything....")

I do both also I'll tend to go out looking for yarn for a project but if I see yarn that just seems to grab at me I'll buy that too and figure out what to do with it later lol...

Kristy:c9

I tend to buy yarn that I see and think - that's going to come in handy someday, I don't know when, but I know it!

I rarely go in and buy yarn with a project in mind, I probably should though, I'd probably buy less.:blush

• 4 weeks later...

if i see a yarn i don't have and i like the look or feel of it i will buy 6-8 skeins just in case. i think there's only been a few times i've actually had the project in mind before buying the yarn.

I do a little of both, I bought some homespun for a scarf and I liked it so I grabbed a bunch when walmart had it on sale for $1 I bought several other skeins that day also from the dollar bin, I tend to go crazy for sales like that otherwise I only buy for projects.

I usually find a project then buy the yarn. Occasionally I buy it just because it's nice. I usually buy the 100% wool from Lion brand or the sugar and cream yarn. I like amigurumi so I usually use the same yarn for a lot of projects.

I do a little of both. I tend to have a project in mind when I go to buy...but then there are times when there is something on sale that I have to buy at least one skein of just because I like it....or its a really great price.:lol

Since I am a threadie, I don't buy yarn. But I buy whatever thread strikes my fancy when I see it. So, when I start a new project I can choose what thread I want to use from the comfort of my well stocked stash.

As a trip to my craft room will attest....I just buy yarn. I buy it when it is on sale, when it is pretty, when it dares to be different and whenever the mood strikes.... I am definetly addicted to yarn buying!

Corn

when I started crocheting I kept telling my DH that I needed to have some yarn around in case I want to start something so I don't have to run to the store all the time (at the time I was 8 months preggers) So now I have a huge stash and I have been pretty good about not buying yarn just cause I am in a store with it. Although my sister has started crocheting and she keeps asking me to go to yarn stores with her and she always ends up brigging something home. It is pretty funny I look at her and see myself a year or so ago. But I figure there are worse things that I can spend my money on and spend my time on this can at least benefit some people since I do alot of charity squares and such.

I'm completely incapable of leaving a yarn store without anything :lol . Sometimes I buy yarn specifcally for a project, or sometimes I just happen to see a yarn that excites me, so I just HAVE to bring home a ball to "check it out."

Archived