lis

What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

I voted both but my first inclination is just to buy yarn knowing that a project will come along. I tend to quick, simple projects rather than long haul items.

I am completely swayed by colour alone. if I see a colour I must have... I "have" it.

Occasionally I will go with an idea in mind (make a sweater in grey) rather than a specific project but it is not my usual practice.

both----I like to have a variety of yarns around---if I have a big project in mind then I will purchase yarn for it of course I always get too much so I have left overs! I have collected some novelty yarns to use as trim on things like purses

(esp. for little girls) it's also cute as trim on a cape or shawl. If I find somthing on sale for a really good discount and I happen to have some money I will buy what I can cause I know I'll find a use for it later. I'm a yarn junkie!! but none ever goes to waste! a girl can never have too much yarn or too many patterns!!!:yes

I try about 80% of the time to have a project in mind when I pick up yarn. If I actually use it for that project is another story all together. There are times when I'm looking for something specific and end up picking up some 'extras' as well. I usually think what I can make with it before I pick it up (good example, some cotton WW I picked up that I wasn't shopping for but would make a great couple of tank tops... gotta get to that...). I don't really have all that much storage and quite frankly, orginization is a mythical word in my vocabulary. I think I know what it means, but it is an elusive creature I've yet to actully see, let alone capture and train :P

I do both. I find sometimes I will see a yarn on sale or a certain color/texture that I really like and then I think of a pattern or three that I have at home that would work for it. Other times I buy enough that I know it will work for whatever projects I may choose to do.

The real problem is: I sometimes will start a project and frog and go thru all three or so patterns and still not like how it's turning out.

I do both. Most of the time I buy with a project in mind....but, a lot of the time I find yarn on sale or at a yard sale....how can you pass up a bargain?

I just buy yarn when ever the mood strikes me! Doesn't have to be a project in mind. If I see a different color or shade of yarn then it usually finds its way into my cart!;) ;)

Oh! I almost forgot. Yarn 'talks' to me in the store. I hear lots of different things, mostly 'take me home' or "I'd be perfect for this" and they have started getting sneaky with things like: "Your secret pal would really like me". I also hear things like "Come touch me". Anyone else have yarn talk to them?

Oh! I almost forgot. Yarn 'talks' to me in the store. I hear lots of different things, mostly 'take me home' or "I'd be perfect for this" and they have started getting sneaky with things like: "Your secret pal would really like me". I also hear things like "Come touch me". Anyone else have yarn talk to them?

:rofl:rofl:rofl

If there is a good sale I buy as much as I can....but usually I at least have a project in mind for that yarn....now whether I use that yarn for the project I had in mind is another story:D

i go thru phases where i buy yarn of all kinds, and then dry spells where i only buy what i need; and try to work from my stash.

I would have to say both! I have a million projects on my TO DO list. lol. so I just buy yarn everytime I see it . lol. It makes me feel good just knowing I have it, even if I don't get to the project right now. lol. I just like having lots and lots of yarn in my house. lol!!

Ooh... I do a LOT of both! My stash is growing out of space! I even inherit some of other peoples stash sometimes. I love it though. I buy yarn with a project in mind, then never do that project. So it goes to my stash untill I can find something else to make with it. I think I just have to many projects in mind! LOL Can't do it all...

Sometimes I see some yarn and think of something that it could be used for.

Sometimes I see some yarn for sale and buy it just because I "might" find something to make with it. DH hates that!

Some times some one asks for something in a particular color/kind of yarn so I HAVE to go buy more! I can't help it.

A long time ago, I would only buy yarn for a project, I'd finish it, then it might be several months or more before I'd crochet again. Then I found this place and turned over a new leaf-I'm now a yarn/pattern addict. I now buy yarn when I have NOTHING in mind to make- especially if it's on sale, it comes home with me.

Hubby doesn't care for the new me. :manyheart

Yes, this is definitely a place of bad influence.

But in a good way right!

I was, and am the same way. :c9 I love it. :hook

I normally don't have any project in mind.....I stock up on yarn when it is on sale....I pick up some kind of yarn every weekend:manyheart

Best reason SALES!!!:clap

I try to buy yarn when I have a project in mind, but that does not always happen. I'll go to the store with a project in mind and end up buying other yarn because I thought it was pretty or unusual. I then just hope I can figure out what to make with the yarn.

I bought yarn twice thiss year......both called top me and I decided on a project right then and there

I do both. Normally I have a project in mind, will get the yarn for that .. and then see yarn that catches my eye and I have to get it ... I admit, My name is Lisa and I have a yarn addiction. Please DO NOT help me.:rofl

90% of the time I buy only when I plan on a project.

The 10% is for when there is a ridiculous sale going on. Then, I just hafta buy.. :yes

I go into the store without a project in mind, find some yarn, and then decide on a project (usually in the store). Or I'll have a project in mind, go in the store, realize they don't have what I need, so find yarn I want then switch projects. Or I'll pick up yarn, put it down, pick it up, put it down, find a project, pick out yarn...sigh. Vicious, neverending cycle.

A couple hours ago, I decided to drop by the LYS to pick up a little yarn for a small project. Well, "a little yarn" turned into 15 skeins. I'm going back to pick up more yarn tomorrow. :D

I try to buy yarn for projects I have in mind, but finding the yarn I want in the UK is proving hard... and VERY expensive :'(

I'm seriously considering whether it will be cheaper to bulk buy from the US and have it shipped over... I was looking at just cotton skeins yesterday in a shop and they work out at about $7 each (50gr)! And we're not talking fancy yarn here! Plain one colour simple stuff! The cheapest I have found (other than the VERY cheap shops which is fine for random little play abouts...) is $2.50 for skein (this is a particular "value" skein of 100gr) but it's really nothing fancy... and all acrylic I think...

I just want good value and good quality yarn :'(

My gripe with the local shops is that I can't seem to find cheap cotton yarn! Worsted weight cotton yarn is practically non-existent. I've seen mostly fingering weight cotton at $6 a skein (50g). I wish we have something like Sugar'n Cream here. :(

Good Rainy Morning!

I buy yarn on sale that I like and later plan a use for it. I recently bought a varigated cotten blend and later decided I would learn to knit and crochet socks and that is what I will use the yarn for. Sometimes I will buy yarn with projects in mind. I bought a bunch of yarn before I joined the ville to use to make Christmas gifts with and I have started them.

I voted both but lately I lean more toward for a specific project. I buy yarn that I might make something for someday, but usually a skien of something. Then I make pattern swatches to see how it will work up.