What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

I will buy if a have aproject in mind but i also buy if there is a great sale or if I just want to try it. then I get it home and try to figure out what to do with it.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do both:blush !! I hate to admit it, but I may be addicted to buying yarn:eek !! I'll go to the yarn section at our Wal-Mart with a project in mind. And if they don't have the yarn I need for said project, I will buy another yarn for "future" projects. We live in a small community, so when we go to the "big" city, I try to make a list of projects and the yarn that it calls for. And when I get into Michael's or Joann's craft stores, my eyes GLAZE over with ALL the luscious yarns and I buy more yarn for those "future" projects:lol !!! I'm still waiting for the "future" to get here:hook !!

I will of coarse buy yarn with a project in mind but I always now buy some just because I like it or I have always always wanted to try it. I have seen pic's of some crochetville members stashes I have a lot of catching up to do :)

I buy yarn with projects in mind, but I also love to buy large lots of mixed stuff to use in scrap projects just because I love yarn. I'm strange though. When I buy yarn for an afghan, I will buy enough yarn for the afghan, but I buy enough to do it in several different color schemes. Then when I go to start the project, I'll often end up purchasing MORE yarn for it because by that time, I have thought of something ELSE that I can make with the yarn that I originally bought for the afghan! I really think I have a problem, but I'm not a danger to myself or others, so it's OK. :lol

I want to add that something else that I do is even if an intended project only calls for four ounces (or some other small amount) of a certain color or type of yarn, I will still buy enough to be able to crochet a minivan. I don't know why I do it, but I do.

Elle

I just thought of something that I need to add, but it doesn't bode well for my sanity. :lol

When I'm browsing on Ebay or online for yarns, even if an intended project only requires, say, four ounces of any given yarn, I will STILL buy enough to crochet a cover for a minivan. I don't quite know WHY I do it, but I do it.

Elle

I buy yarn with projects in mind, but I also love to buy large lots of mixed stuff to use in scrap projects just because I love yarn. I'm strange though. When I buy yarn for an afghan, I will buy enough yarn for the afghan, but I buy enough to do it in several different color schemes. Then when I go to start the project, I'll often end up purchasing MORE yarn for it because by that time, I have thought of something ELSE that I can make with the yarn that I originally bought for the afghan! I really think I have a problem, but I'm not a danger to myself or others, so it's OK. :lol

I want to add that something else that I do is even if an intended project only calls for four ounces (or some other small amount) of a certain color or type of yarn, I will still buy enough to be able to crochet a minivan. I don't know why I do it, but I do.

Elle

:lol:lol:lol

I'm sure the yarn stores love you! :D

I answered both. Sometimes I cant find exactly the color I want, and when new lots come in and I finally find it, I buy lots of it...hehe. So I have a pretty big stash, but then sometimes the color is just irresistible and I have to have one or two skiens.I can always use them in my potholders.

I'm both. Now I pretty much buy with a project in mind. Now whether that project even gets started is another story, so I have built a stash. I used to see yarn I liked and just buy one skein. Now I have all these skeins that have nothing to do with each other (lots of specialty yarns).

I'm always looking for new projects LOL I just bought over 38 patterns off ebay....don't even know which one I'm going to try first. Probably the basketweave blanket, but never know. :think

Mali

just buy yarn without any project in mind.

i buy threads/yarn first, because i dont always have the time to go yarn shopping and not sure if the ones i need will be there when i need it.

and the fact that the craft store where i go refill their empty shelves after 3 months!

I said both... and here's why!

I buy with projects in mind... EXCEPT for major sales then I buy with possible projects in mind. I'm not talking about weekly sales at retail stores. I'm talking about Superbowl sale (30-40% off) at my LYS and the major distributor sales (50-75% off) that I'm lucky to go to. Here's the loot from last years distributor sales with possible to give you an idea what I mean... JCA crafts and Westminster Yarns

Sometimes I buy yarn that is on sale, sometimes I see yarn that I simply must have and sometimes I have a project in mind that I purchase yarn for.

I love yarn!!!:cheer

I buy both ways. I often buy because I am inspired by the yarn and then let it sit for ages until the inspiration really hits and know exactly what I want to do with it.

I buy from both my LYS and through another online community that sells alot of handpaint lush yarns here in Australia. I am becoming a yarn snob now though and it is getting expensive. :lol

I have a friend who is now dyeing wool for me, so I am beginning to buy undyed wool straight from the woollen mills. It is exciting to see what colourways she comes up with and too see her progress as a dyer. We have been friend since we were 8 and this has taken our close friendship to a new level. :D

I buy yarn for specific projects but I cannot pass up a yarn sale!! Now I am to the point where, if the store sells yarn, I don't leave without at least one skein! That is where the addiction comes in

I admit, I buy with projects in mind and without. In my area, it is some times easier and cheaper to buy online when I have a few extra bucks. I stocked up on TLC essentials and they are ending up in 9 different 63 patterns (3 of each patterns, more patterns and cables). Also some times when I have a specific pattern in mind like the cable afghan I am getting ready start (needed 70 oz + of the same color). I have a stash, so when I can catch the sales I have what I want. I can start most patterns with 3 or 4 colors from stash. I only wish that I had stashed Med Sage in red heart.

Laura

for me it is both. i live in a small town and we don't have a clothing shop let alone a LYS so i have to buy when out of town. sometimes i know i want something specific, sometimes i am just browsing. i'm a bit of an impulse buyer too.

i buy it when i see it if i need it or not, hense the huge amount i am now getting rid of so much, ladies get help fast its a bad addiction to have:yes:yes:yes but help is available i promise

I buy both ways. There have been times when I am shopping for other things but have to check out the yarn. I have tons in my stash. Then I also over buy when I have a project in mind. I hate running out in the middle of a project!

I do both, though mostly I just buy what I think I *might* make into a project, which is invariably not enough for the project I realize it would be perfect for when I actually get around to doing something with it. I also tend to hoard yarn, not using it for anything because then it will be gone or some such silliness. So it sits in the overflowing bin full of yarn and half finished projects in the closet.

As someone else mentioned, I too suffer from crochet ADD:)

Archived