What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

If I have a specific project in mind then I will purchase what is needed. Unfortunately I don't crochet as much as I would like to, so when strolling through the stores if I notice yarn is on sale I purchase it and add to my collection.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both cause I am a yarnaholic thru and thru! I still have three skeins of wonderful wool from the Sheep and Wool Festival and still no project for it. It is too thick for socks! I just bought more of Patons SWS just because I loved the colours will probably felt them in some way I need a new winter hat maybe that is what they will end up being or maybe not. If I am doing an afghan I try to use simply soft cause it has no dye lot and stays so soft. I really need to straighten my stash it is overflowing all over my room!

I tend to do both or I will when I start working again.........I saw some

lovely yarn at elann.com cotton and silk blend........I'm going to buy it with no project in mind just love the yarn.:manyheart .........then when I find a pattern I like I try to match the yarn:cheer

I go with a project in mind, but then I see some yarn that catches my eye, the feel of the yarn is just too irresistible to pass by. Then, sometimes, I'll pick up the yarn and wonder what I can make with it, the previous project pushed aside in my mind. I'll leaf through the pattern books, wanting to buy them, but knowing that I only have X dollars to spend and I want to spend every penny on that irresistable yarn that I simply cannot pass up.

I'll either give in to my desire and pick up that yarn, which usually means I don't pick up enough for a project, so it sits in the drawer, to be pet occasionally, and I dream of what I can make, or I will, against every fiber of my being, slowly put that delicious yarn back, take a deep breath, look longingly at the skeins that I must pass up, turn around slowly and with a heaviness in my step I will get the yarn I came to get. But as I put each skein in the basket, my heart lightens. I remember that this yarn I came for, I chose with a purpose. I love this yarn, too. The colors are perfect for my friend who needs a yarn/blanket hug that I cannot give in person. The colors are the absolute best colors for her, I just know that when she sees this finished project, she will feel the love and the hugs I have put into it. And all is well again. As I turn and walk past the yarn I got distracted by, I reach my hand out for one last squeeze, one last lingering touch and tell those skeins that the next time I come, I will pick them up, and I will have enough money to buy plenty of skeins for another lovingly crocheted piece, to either sit on my bed or be mailed off to another friend who is in need of a fibrous hug, a long distance prayer.

Update:

I had $25 to spend at Michael's. Hubby had leftover cash from the Night of Joy trip this past weekend and he got some guitar pedal power supply and said we could go to Michael's and spend the rest. Hmmm. Was that his way of getting me to come with, or letting him spend the money on that power supply? :)

Anyway, I already made up my mind that I wanted to get some Patons SWS. When we got there, I picked up 4 balls of Natural Earth. But I didn't know what 4 balls would make. And I didn't want to start a project and not have enough and then have to get more that was a different dye lot. SO, I picked up a Patons booklet - the Look and am going to make a bag/purse. So, I didn't just give in to my desires totally. That would have been 4 balls instead of 3 and a pattern book. ;)

I may be in a store buying yarn for a particular project, but then see something fantastic and just have to have it. Trouble is, because I don't know what I'm going to make with it, I feel compelled to by HEAPS of it, just in case I want to make an afghan or blanket.....So if I buy yarn, and I don't have something specific in mind, I buy minimum 20 skeins of that yarn. (You never know if you need more later, whether it will be there)...

I guess that also makes me a paranoid buyer!

That's me exactly!!:hook

I often have two or three projects running around in my head, and when I see the yarn I love, I get it.

I am kicking my self this week, because at the Boise Saturday market yesterday, I saw some wonderful yarn from a local lamb farm. And I talked myself out of it. Silly me!

I buy what is on sale or clearance, but it has to have a look and feel that I really like. Sometimes I will see something that totally begs to be bought, but I have to watch the budget, so if it is too expensive, I will touch and then walk on by. I like the ability to find a pattern on line, and know I have the perfect yarn to make it, and start right away, without having to go shopping.

There are a few rare times though, that I really like a pattern and have to go buy the yarn for it, or something like handles, velcro, buttons, etc....

• 1 month later...

I buy yarn with a project in mind and I buy it sometimes because it's on sale or I just like it. Right now I have 5 of the XXL zip lock bags full of yarn. I have no room for all this and need to stop buying (but I'm addicted and can't).

Sometimes I see a yarn and imagine what I can do with it, then buy it. Sometimes I decide on a project, then go yarn shopping. Sometimes I just buy yarn for no apparent reason, then hope I bought enough to do something with it! :think:lol

When I first started to crochet I would just buy the yarn I needed for my project. Then after awhile I just couldn't bear to leave a pretty yarn at the store. So now even if I don't have a project in mind I will buy yarn and put it in my yarn closet for future use.:hook

I've only actually bought yarn a couple times and I've had a project in mind. My mom had given me a rubbermaid tub full of yarn(but not enough of one color to do much w/ )and I've been using that and still am for scrap things. I probably would buy yarn w/o a project in mind(I've been tempted too) but w/ money being tight I can't afford too but hubby needs to look out I think when we can afford that cuz it just might be attack of the pretty yarn then lol.

This is still pretty new to me, but what I tend to do is buy yarn with vague purposes in mind. I loom knit hats, so I'll buy yarn for those-trying always to vary my color choices. I love to make dishcloths, so I am buying lots of Sugar and Cream and Peaches and Cream as I find sales and colors I like. I recently found a good sale on chenille yarn, so I bought a lot of it for the hats. After making one with it, I wish I'd bought more!

If I find a yarn I like on sale, I'll buy it and hope to find a project for it later but I mostly like to have a project and then hunt for the perfect yarn. I've only been crocheting for about 6 months and have found I'm more successful that way...

Kim

I do both but I'm trying harder to purchase only with a project in mind. I have purchased some yarn just because it was on clearance figuring that I'll use it sometime. Now I have a bunch of fun fur and ribbon yarn that I do not like crocheting with.

I am starting to get better though. Just last night I was at Ollie's looking at all the Lion suede they had for only $1. I normally would have just bought about a ton of it cause I cannot resist a sale. Instead I bought 1 skien and decided to try it out before buying more.

Well, I tried it out and found I do not care for crocheting with it. It's beautiful but not something this newbie wants to work with. :blush

I do both but I'm trying harder to purchase only with a project in mind. I have purchased some yarn just because it was on clearance figuring that I'll use it sometime. Now I have a bunch of fun fur and ribbon yarn that I do not like crocheting with.

I am starting to get better though. Just last night I was at Ollie's looking at all the Lion suede they had for only $1. I normally would have just bought about a ton of it cause I cannot resist a sale. Instead I bought 1 skien and decided to try it out before buying more.

Well, I tried it out and found I do not care for crocheting with it. It's beautiful but not something this newbie wants to work with. :blush

MaryAnn, I found myself doing the same thing! I think the pretty colors were really hard to resist.:blush

I just crocheted all my sale yarn of Fun Fur, etc into scarves for a charity for children for Xmas....I won't buy more again unless I have a project in mind. Buying the sale yarn like you did is a great way to try it out and see if you like it!:yes

Kim

but a year into my crochet learning, I'm finding that I don't care for large projects much. I have two I need to finish, and I'll feel MUCH better, heh.

And since I don't care for larger projects, it means if I can find two or three skeins/balls/hanks of a yarn I have to have...it won't break the bank! I still love the colors of RHSS, and Caron and Patons and all the choices I have, like that, too.

Ahh..yarn...hee

Archived