lis

What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

Definitely both. Sometimes I go in with a specific project and yarns in mind, sometimes I just browse and see what catches my fancy...and I can never resist clearance sales!

I voted "Both". Sometimes, I look for a yarn specific for a pattern, and other times, I buy when I see something that sparks my curiousity. And other times, I buy from the clearance bins, hoping to find a project that will work with this yarn that I bought.

:manyheart

Both for me. When I've got projects that I don't have yarn for, I make a list and go buy yarn. However, if I see yarn I like, I'll buy it and come up with a project for it later.

I buy yarn when it just takes my eye and I know I will want something made of it. In addition to the special yarns, I will buy when I find a good deal and know it will make for some economical projects in the future. I have a huge supply of yarn in my craft room. I almost feel guilty when I buy more but if a project is for someone special or just a special pattern for me, I usually still go out and pick the perfect yarn to make the project work best. So, I had to choose the last option on your poll -- I do it both ways. Not a lot of consistency to my crafting. :)

Both. I have certain general yarns that I keep in stock for a variety of projects that I will buy on sale or at second hand sales when I find them. Other yarns I only buy when I need them because I don't have many projects that require them.

I do both. When I'm at a store with yarn it's hard for me not to buy any.. And if I see some yarn I really like I figure I can find something to do with it sometime. I'm in the process now of trying to use the yarn I have already and trying not to buy more yarn to use in a new project. It's not working so well..

I voted both ... I buy yarn with projects in mind and I buy yarn that I like or that is on sale or that I think I can't live without LOL

I normally used to buy the yarn thinking on a project, sometimes I just liked the yarn or the colour and bought 1 sample, but I suffered that "run-out-of-it without ending the project" so since that I always get more stock, and now I have the shop for me, that's wonderful!

I voted both. When I go to the craft store for anything I always check out the :yarn. Sometimes I'm working on a project and need more, or I'll just get it and then think of something to do with it. I'm in the stash busting CAL and am down to 1 1/2 tubs left. I might just buy more because the other 2 tubs are empty :(.

Ellie 13

Oh! I almost forgot. Yarn 'talks' to me in the store. I hear lots of different things, mostly 'take me home' or "I'd be perfect for this" and they have started getting sneaky with things like: "Your secret pal would really like me". I also hear things like "Come touch me". Anyone else have yarn talk to them?

So that's who I heard in the :yarn department last week :lol.

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13

I purchase for special projects. If I find yarn on special bargain I will

purchase ahead since I do a fair amount of charity gifting.

1. I am organized and plan my projects, buy yarn and plenty of it so as not to run out for that project and have to spend extra on gas to run after more.

2. I am thrifty and buy lots of yarn on sale so as not to have to pay full price when a project comes to mind.

3. I believe thinking ahead (buying~buying~buying) is the key when dealing with a serious yarn addiction :)

I vote all of the above.

1. I need it for a project;

2. I like it and I will find a project to use it on;

3. I have no clue what I'm going to make, but I just have to buy it because I see it. Oh and number 4 gets me everytime "YARN SALE". I am so addicted to crocheting and because of that I am addicted to buying yarn.

Here is a funny story....Last month I was on my way to South Carolina to visit my son and granddaughter, two exits before we need to get off, I say a hobbylobby store sign. I wanted to see if all the hobbylobby store carry the same sort of yarn (well that was my excuse for getting off at that exit), and of course I have to buy something, so I end up spending $30 in yarn...hubby was not happy, but oh well, he'll get over it. :)

I have a serious problem with my yarn addiction. And NO I don't want an Intervention - I like it just the way it is!!! heehee

I'll go to get yarn with a project in mind and always try to get extra, I'llsee a yarn and a project will spring to mind or I'll just see something that I absolutely cannot live without and have to get it anyway.

Yea sounds good to me too.

I try to buy only what I need for a project I'll be doing.

If I didn't do it that way, I'd have rooms full of yarn & no where to sleep! Hah!

I am always on the hunt for more yarn, and if I have coupons to use, I feel I have to use them. My husband is always asking why I need more yarn, as my stash is getting quite large. i then look at him ask about his hat collection, which can outdo my yarn:lol so then he just shakes his head and goes looking for more hats