What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

With me, I buy for all reasons. If I am planning a large project; afghan, cape, shawl, poncho, tablecloth...or anything along these lines, I usually go with a 6 or 8 ounce skein of the color of my project...and get enough to finish it in a single purchase. Believe me when I tell you I HATE when they say there are NO DYE LOTS...because they LIE. I was making an afghan for my niece once, and she wanted yellow. I bought a single skein to get started...because money was tight...and there were no dye lots. Well, guess what? Next time I bought a skein, it wasn't the same shade. It was in the same bin...with the same name...and totally wrong. GRRRRRR. So, I make sure these days that I don't fall into that hole again. :)

I make and sell hats and scarves...and I know how many skeins those take. So, if I'm in a store...like I was in Big Lots last week, I will impulse buy. I only do that once a year...or maybe every other year. But, I know how many skeins I have to have to make my project...and that works for me. If I decide to go with another type of project...and it's small...I usually have enough for that too.

As far as the fun fur and those type of yarns...I have only ever bought a couple of skeins of any of those...to try out...on sale cheap. I never dreamed I'd ever dislike ANY yarn...considering the love affair I've had with yarn since I was 9 years old...but I dislike those. Also, my sister sent me this stupid stuff that is about a #10 thread with a little patch every 3/4 of an inch maybe. Can't stand it. LOL. But, I am making her a Christmas Tree Skirt with it, because she wants one...and she deserves it since she sent me the yarn. GRRRR. Oh, it is in Christmas colors.

Anyhow, that's it for me. :)

Blessed Be.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy things on sale if I can find enough. I do occasionally buy that one ball of yarn that is really inexpensive and just looks sad on the shelf.

Most of the time though I buy for a project.

I buy when I feel like it. Right now I have a HUGE stash no theanks to my mom dying...I inherited ALL of her yarn, hooks, knitting needles and sewing machines. Eliae I LOVE your avatar..I rescue ferrets..there are seven psychotic weasels running my house.

Some projects I know I want a specific yarn for, and I buy the yarn with the project in mind. Other yarn, I like to keep on hand all the time to design with & inspire creativity...then there are those fantastic sales that simply cannot be passed up!

i was shopping both ways prior to last september. now i have not bought any yarn or thread since sept. i am crocheting everyday and still i have a lot of stash to go through. but slowly i will get through it and be able to get yummy new yarns.

nadine

I am a yarn collector. :devil Seriously, I'm always on the lookout for new yarn to take home.

I have my collection proudly displayed in wire storage cubes on a wall (9 ft high by 8 feet wide) :c9 It looks like a yarn shop. It is sorted by type and stacked in color families. It is an awesome sight!!!

Finding new yarns, makes me go :drool. And a clearance sale means it's time to par-tay :dance

There are so few people who truly understand my love affair with yarn. :manyheart Any day can be brightened by going shopping for new skeins to bring home and fondle/pet/caress, while searching for the perfect project to create with it.

For me there is no better therapy than watching something beautiful appear from my hook, and knowing I made it. :dreaming

April

:angel Victoria 1952 - 2008 :rip:heart U Sis! :pink 15 Year Breast Cancer Survivor :pink

I am a yarn collector. :devil Seriously, I'm always on the lookout for new yarn to take home.

I have my collection proudly displayed in wire storage cubes on a wall (9 ft high by 8 feet wide) :c9 It looks like a yarn shop. It is sorted by type and stacked in color families. It is an awesome sight!!!

Finding new yarns, makes me go :drool. And a clearance sale means it's time to par-tay :dance

There are so few people who truly understand my love affair with yarn. :manyheart Any day can be brightened by going shopping for new skeins to bring home and fondle/pet/caress, while searching for the perfect project to create with it.

For me there is no better therapy than watching something beautiful appear from my hook, and knowing I made it. :dreaming

Me, me, me!! I understand! And I could have written your post with the exception of the wire storage cubes, which BTW, I am truly jealous of, and I am thinking of copying the idea! I have a spare bedroom!!!! :manyheart

for the longest time I only bought yarn when I had a project in mind. More recently I've been buying good deals, since I work at a local Michaels I get a discount on top of the clearance. I bought 36 skeins of sugar and cream for .16 a skein less my discount. How could I pass that up. Most of the time I can find something from my stash for all of the small projects I've been doing.

sometimes i have a project in mind of what i am going to use the yarn for..sometimes i just like the color and sometimes the yarn is on sale so i buy what i think i will need to make a sweater for myself using what i have used in the past to buy a close amount.

I usually buy when it is on sale hoping to find a project to go with the amount of yarn. If I crochet it is usually an afghan. If I knit It will probably be some sort of scarf. I stick with the basics, fast and easy.

I usually have a project in mind when I buy the yarn. However, I get lots of extra becase I am ocd about having enough to finish the project. Then I get to figure out what to do with the left overs.

I always buy more yarn than I need for any given project say an extra skein or two depending on the yarn...just in case i run out. This way I can make what i had in mind and add the leftovers to my stash. as a result I have a closet full of assorted scraps and full skeins that are just not quite enough for that next project so off I go to get enough to make the next one and just a little extra too. I am addicted but better to have too much for a project than need one ounce more to finish that gift for tomorrow and all the stores are closed

I'm both. I'm part of a prayer shawl ministry and when I'm out and about, I'll buy a couple skeins of yarn because I know it will make a beautiful shawl or lapghan. Sometimes I just like a color, so I buy a good amount, knowing I'll make something(s) out of it.

Hi, my name is Amy, and I'm a yarn junkie. :hook

I'm both as well. I tend to randomly buy yarn if I think it's pretty, but I'd buy specific colors if I were going to do something in specific, like a penguin (which would require 3 colors). I try not to always buy it if I think it's pretty lol because sometimes I'll go home and be like um.. what can I use this for?? I usually buy Red Heart because it's cheaper lol..

I'm both. I usually buy yarn when its on sale. Then, I wonder what the heck I am going to do with it! LOL! But, since joining this wonderful luvfest, I now have wonderful ideas.

Plus, with all the charities I am donating too, I am also using up what I have. So, I guess it worked out great! Except, my daughters are now hounding me to make them blankets!

I definitely have a project in mind before I put out the money for the yarn. This may be crochet sacrelig, but clutter makes me crazy and I try to be really careful about having stuff just lying around. That said, I am ALWAYS shopping for yarn so, when that next project comes along, I know where to get the yarn I need.

Patty

• 1 year later...

Both :hook Sometimes I go to buy for a project and when I get to the register there is yarn that just jumped in there and won't leave, so of course, I have to take it home with me! :lol And then there are the sales, and people that need to clean out their stashes a bit and eBay and.........

Definitely both. I buy with a certain project in mind but sometimes have been known to use it for something else. Also I buy when I see it on sale. I just know I will find some way to use it. When I buy yarn on sale I usually try to keep in mind how much is needed to make an afghan even if an afghan is not what I will use it for. I figure that way I should have more than enough for any other projects I might decide to use the yarn for. This buying yarn when its on sale or at a yard sale or at a thrift store is in my genes. I inherited it from my mother and oldest sister who couldn't pass up a good sale on yarn. Both had very large stashes on hand when they died. I did take some of each one's stash but my other sister and I decided to donate most of their stash to a local senior citizen group that both my mother and sister enjoyed attending to crochet. To buy or not to buy. That is the question. :rofl

I usually only buy when I have a particular project in mind. If I could, I would buy out the entire store, but of course, that might get expensive. I have bought yarn because it was on sale and of course.. haven't made anything yet.. but it's still pretty. Haha.

Archived