What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

I'm a little bit of both. My crochet addiction is fairly new. :hook The first few times I stepped into the LYS, I just bought lots and lots of yarn without a single project in mind. Recently, I tend to only buy yarn after deciding on a particular project although I still can't help picking up some "extras" while at the store. :D

What about you?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I answered that I buy without a project in mind...but then, I changed my mind, but can't change my vote...I do both actually.

I may be in a store buying yarn for a particular project, but then see something fantastic and just have to have it. Trouble is, because I don't know what I'm going to make with it, I feel compelled to by HEAPS of it, just in case I want to make an afghan or blanket.....So if I buy yarn, and I don't have something specific in mind, I buy minimum 20 skeins of that yarn. (You never know if you need more later, whether it will be there)...

I guess that also makes me a paranoid buyer!

I always buy with a definate project in mind, but having had a few bad experiences with not having enough yarn to finish the pattern and dye lots not matching, I always over buy. Then after a while there is a build up of left over yarn that goes into small scrap yarn projects!

I try to only buy yarn when I have a project in mind, but sometimes I see yarn on sale, and have to get it! Other times if I see a yarn in a color or texture that I love, I have to get that too!

I have a serious problem with my yarn addiction. And NO I don't want an Intervention - I like it just the way it is!!! heehee

I'll go to get yarn with a project in mind and always try to get extra, I'llsee a yarn and a project will spring to mind or I'll just see something that I absolutely cannot live without and have to get it anyway.

I voted 'both'. Usuallly I have a project in mind and some idea what type of yarn I want. Other times, I buy on impulse because the yarn is just irresistable. I let it tell me what it wants to be, lol.

I voted both. I can never pass up a good deal on yarn if it's in a thrift store (and something I can use); but when I go to the dept store or JA, I just have to look and feel in the yarn aisle. There's always something that I "need":). There's always those colors that I "might need" for a project (like the light peach that I didn't buy the other day, so I should go back to walmart. It's good for dolls.).................Lise

I sometimes buy yarn for a project. But I see something that I really like I pick up a bunch of it!! I picked up over $65.00 of yarn on a business trip a few weeks back, just cause I like the colors. I have no clue what I will do with it. But I like it!!

Sometimes a yarn appeals to me so much, I buy it irregardless of whether I know specifically what I want to do with. Other times, I get specific yarn before I run out of it for a specific project. At times, a pattern book or mag has a pattern I "have" to do, so if the store I'm in has that yarn in stock, I will get it.:clap

I live in a small town where yarn is not available so I pick up yarn if I see some that I like. But again if I have some project to do then I buy the amount of yarn needed.I always always buy more than required as I never get the same colour or even the same type of yarn if I run short.With all the exta yarn I have I keep on doing yarn busting projects all the time.

I'm a bit of both. Sometimes I'll have a project in mind when I go to buy yarn, but usually I just go when it's on sale and decide later. Normally if I have a project in mind, I end up abandoning it later. I have crochet ADD so bad *lol*

I voted both, too. I have a bad habit of having a yarn "call" to me. Bad part is I'm usually broke, so I can only buy one or two. Then I have to figure out something small to make, assuming I can bring myself to use it. :blush A lot of the times, those lonesome skeins end up in the "yarn zoo" where I can look at them and pet them.:devil

Normally I would buy what I need for a specific project, but when there are great sales I have been known to buy yarn I like and plan to find a project to use it on. So I have a bit of a stash ... :D

I do a bit of both. I do sometimes go looking for yarn for a specific pattern, (I usually check my stash first and see what I have that works for the project, but there are other times where I am out and find a good deal on yarn so I just have to buy it with no particular pattern in mind. About 2 weeks ago I found this yarn that feels like a very soft terry cloth, in light blue, (I bought six skeins just because it felt so soft, and it was only $1 each) The next week I went back to the same place (big lots, not looking for yarn, just happened to see it) and it is the same shade (sky blue) with a navy blue striped cord around it. I bout 11 of those same price as the first. I would have bought more of the first but 6 was all I could find. So now that I have the yarn, I am thinking I am gonna do something with it for my father in law, he has been ill since late march, and is on the mend now, but thought it would be something he would enjoy.

Well, I have a list of projects a mile long that I want to do so I guess I never really buy yarn that I don't have something in mind for but I will look at sales and see if whatever is on sale would fit something I've been thinking about even if it's a year or so before I get to make it and then maybe I never do make it so it ends up being something else.... I think that was a runon sentence, but you get the idea!

definately a bit of both, constantly promising myself am gonna use my stash up, then seeing sale bargins. 1ply cashmere from charity shop has to come in for something and i can't pass up anything at 70p for half a cone.

I buy if I find it on sale, I don't buy with a project in mind. I love thread so will buy it. Always enough for a small doily. As to yarn, I also buy with no project in mind, I have a fairly large stash of both and can make about anything with something.

A few years back a neighbor to my sister died, she was a avid crocheter. My sister called me and told me, so we went to the sale and I bought all the thread she had, and she had lots. I think I got over 120 balls of DMC Cebila, in both white and ecru. I also bought like 10 large cones of size 20, they had 2400 yds per cone. the DMC I got for 5.00 a box, and the boxes held 10 balls and the big cones were also 5.00 so for like 100.00 I got it all, plus some misc extras, books, crochet hooks, etc. I am still using up the last of those balls and cones, it was a great buy, sure wish I could find another sale like that, but maybe without the old lady dying........

A long time ago, I would only buy yarn for a project, I'd finish it, then it might be several months or more before I'd crochet again. Then I found this place and turned over a new leaf-I'm now a yarn/pattern addict. I now buy yarn when I have NOTHING in mind to make- especially if it's on sale, it comes home with me.

Hubby doesn't care for the new me. :manyheart

I buy with a project in mind.

I don't have the money or the storage room or the inclination to buy 'because it's on sale'.

I did slide a little extra in a couple weeks ago from the Hancock going out of business sale. I bought cotton. However even then I have projects in mind: tops for my daughter and Fat Bottom bags from the Stitch and Bitch book.

:)

I do both. I buy with a project in mind, and then when I run across a bargain, I make the purchase. I figure I'll eventually find patterns for the yarn, and if I don't, I can always share it in swaps & such.

Archived