What type of yarn buyer are you?

What type of yarn buyer are you?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. What type of yarn buyer are you?

• Just buy yarn without any project in mind.
    • Decide on a project then purchase the yarn.
    • Both, or others (please elaborate in post)

Last saturday, i messed up my stashbusting when I bought 8 skeins of yarn. i saw a Kg of a truly taupe yarn and didn't buy it. Oh yeah like 2 more points would kill me.

it is not often that you see a truly Taupe coloured yarn. :dreaming

All of which says that I still buy with my eyes first

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I both buy when I have a project in mind or when I don't. I buy yarn because I like the feel or color of it. I buy yarn because it is new and I want to try it out. I buy yarn because I love the look of the yarn that a pattern is made with. I buy yarn because I like a pattern but see yarn that will make the pattern look even better to me. My mom buys me yarn all the time for no reason other than she was there and so was the yarn. We both buy yarn on sale or clearance. I buy yarn because I found a new yarn shop.

MY NAME IS DONNA AND I HAVE A YARN ADDICTION AND I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I LIKE IT THAT WAY!!!!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I used to buy with a project in mind. But after several cases where I would buy the specified amount of yarn and it wasn't enough to finish, I just kind of stopped doing that. From then on I just picked up sales and yarn I thought was pretty, and if a pattern came along I thought the yarn would work for, I would then go and buy more if I needed to.

Lately, I've been collecting yarn from my LYS because they've been offering discounts. I don't know what I'll do with it, but I'm sure it'll find its way into something nice at some point. :)

For the most part I have a project in mind when I buy the yarn. The only time that is not true was when I lived in NY and went to the Smiley's yarn road show. It was this yarn shop in Jamaica, Queens, and they would have a traveling yard show once a year. They would bring some great yarns to their show :yes. That was the only time I would buy yarn that I really did not have a project in mind for.

I love yarn, sometimes I have a project in mind, and then I see a pretty yarn and buy it also. I have a crochet hook in my purse, so if traveling I can buy the yarn and make something from my own idea. Sometimes I feel like my crochet hook is glued to my hand when I get up. How wonderful is that!!

I love yarn, sometimes I have a project in mind, and then I see a pretty yarn and buy it also. I have a crochet hook in my purse, so if traveling I can buy the yarn and make something from my own idea. Sometimes I feel like my crochet hook is glued to my hand when I get up. How wonderful is that!!

I have a toothbrush holder in my purse with some hooks and small :knit needles in it. I never waste time after buying yarn :hyper

:rofl

Unfortunatly I can't afford to just "buy yarn" although I would LOVE to, so me, I have a project, then buy the yarn..

My perspective is just the opposite! I can't afford to decide on a project and then run out to buy the needed yarn specifically for that item. What if an appropriate yarn isn't on sale at the time? Then I'd have to either postpone the project until the right yarn went on sale or pay full price for the yarn. I'd have maybe 10 skeins to my name if I did that. I buy yarn when it's the very cheapest price possible. Only on rare occasions do I spend more than $1 a skein. Then I plan my project choices based on the yarns I have on hand already. It had me a bit limited to start with, after we moved, I had very little yarn at all, I'd gotten rid of most of it prior to moving. But now that I've built up a good-sized stash again, I can "shop" from my stash & find something suitable for just about any project I decide on.

I'm a serious nightowl, and too many times, I'll get a wild urge to start something new late at night - so that helps too, to have yarn already on hand when the stores are closed.

My name is Toni and I am a hopless addict. I buy yarn anytime it is on sale, I like it or I have a project in mind. If there is a good deal on a bag of something - look out, it's home with me.

So there, I have once again admitted to my addiction in public. I am hopelessly addicted to yarn and thread.

TLOL,

Toni

• 3 months later...

I voted both. And here's why: When I first started crocheting I had no idea that the weight of the yarn made a difference, so I bought whatever colors I liked. And most of it just happened to be baby weight yarn. So now that I can actually read the patterns and stuff, I buy yarn in the hopes of making a project. But the bad thing is-when I find a project I want to do, I don't have the yarn for it. And when I have the yarn that I want to use for something, I don't have a pattern that I really want to do. The whole situation just sucks. So I spend hours searching for a pattern, then get overwhelmed, and proceed to move on to another pattern or different yarn.

Yarn addictions are fun though :D

Also, I forgot to mention, I have an addiction to patterns.

All timeon the computer is spent looking for patterns for random things that I honestly don't need to make. Heeheehee (: oh how I love yarn.

I'm in band, so during football season I sneak in a small ball of yarn and hook in my hat box and make little baby booties in the stands.

And my friends think I'm crazy for it.

But I love it :D

I voted both. I think the majority of my yarn purchases are on a whim with no purpose in mind. the only time I really buy for a specific project is if it's for something large. I do a lot of small projects though, so it's easy to just go pull from my stash and know I'll have enough for what I want to make. :hook

• 1 month later...

I do both, but I know that if I don't want to buy any yarn I better not even walk in the shop. Whether I have a pattern or not I can't help but to pick up something. If there is a sale I'm in big trouble. There are times though when I go with something specific in mind and I don't deviate from that.

I have a serious yarn addiction. I buy yarn anytime, anywhere! Especially if it's on sale or at a store out of town that carries a brand I cannot get at home. Doesn't matter. I will see a paraticualr color or new texture and just get it and think about what to do with it later!!!!!!:cheer

I'm a little of both. I'll buy yarn because it's pretty or on sale, thinking "oh, I'll find something to use this for." Usually I try to have projects in mind before I even go into the store because I'll wind up with all sorts of yarn with no ideas!! :hook

Both. Yarn shopping is worse than shoe shopping for me, I'll buy what I need for a project, then if I find one that I have to have and it doesn't quite go with what I'm planning I'll either find others to go with it, or put it in with the donations for the volunteer organization and use it when I can find something that matches. :D

Both... I usually go in the store with yarns in mind for projects. Sometimes, I buy extra yarns for same project. I often buy hooks, needles or pattern books. If I still can afford it, I buy more yarns for new projects. Then it will be more hooks, etc. :D

As I am unemployed for almost a year, I visited yarn stores or Michael's/Joannes few times a year. I don't buy anything until I need more for a certain WIP or two. Naturally, I try to see if I can treat myself to a new project... ermm new yarn skein!

Bit of both! And Thrusday night I was in yarn heaven as I got to add to the yarn supply! The local ALCO has yarn on sale and boy did I have fun!

If I do find a pattern that I don't have the yarn for, then I am out getting that yarn, or if I have a color/colors I want for something, then I will go, but like the other night (or the mood hits) I just get what catches my eye or tugs at my heart!

Dakotarose

• 1 year later...

Truly Depends, If i walk into the yarn isle, and see a rack of very purdy colors I impulse buy. sometimes I have a specific project in my head and I'll go n buy what i want. never realy know.

I voted both,some projects take special colors,like Special Olympic scarves

when new colors come out I will get one,I like alot of color in my granny squares

also when yarn is at a great price,can't seem to pass up a bargain

I vote both if there is a good sale I tend to buy more or a piticuliar color in my stash is low I tend to buy more. I always like a certain amount of stash different types of yarns that have come in handy. Sometimes I get the yarn before a project will come to mind also bought yarn the colors would work for another project maybe later.

Archived