Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

As for hook sizes, I'm sure you ladies that have nice big craft stores in your areas are more up to date on those things . We have walmart and that's about it unless you want to drive quite a ways and with gas so high now, I'd rather not spend my yarn $ on gas .

I have the aluminum one in the Boye in an N ,but haven't seen them any bigger ,other than plastic ones . There are packs of them that go up to P I think, then I saw a Q downtown at our wee little craft store .

The bigger the hook and the softer the yarn will depend on the hook size you will need.

I originally tried this out with RH yarn, but it was coming out way to stiff-feeling for my liking and I don't like real super huge hooks ,so I went with the SS and a K .

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You managed to make me laugh at 4:55 AM .

Now THAT takes some talent . My brain isn't fully awake til about 10, so you really accomplished something . :yawn

Wait til my husband wakes up and I give him your line. He will think it's hilarious . :lol

Somehow I don't think he'd want to keep me around in a jar . I'm not sure what he'd do with me . Maybe I'd better talk to him about that today.

I'm guessing he'd want me to be someplace FAR away so I'd be quiet .(I've told him I'll still be talking to him after I'm gone, so he's pretty much gonna be haunted forever .):blah

If he put me on top of Mount Everest, I'd probably cause avalanches and lots of climbers might get hurt .:snow

If he sprinkles me in the Grand Canyon, it'll ruin their tourist attraction because of the ECHOES, you know ? :yell

Maybe into Mount St Helens would be good. I'd just kinda blend in with the crowd-- Couldn't tell ME from the other ashes out there and the population is probably not real dense in that area .

:mdust:rip:mdust

:rofl hehe you guys are so funny.

Morning Tabby, Julie was in disguise there for awhile, but she doesnt fool us.

I got it.

J E T H R O.... MEANS Julie Entertains the rest ofus

or

jethro unscrambled is other j

hmm maybe I need to go to bed.....:lol

Oh my I completely skipped a page in reading :eek:think I don't know how I did that. Heather and Judi thanks for the compliments. I will continue on with it as is and see how it finishes up. I'm not sure how big I'll make it yet. Right now it's about crib sized so I will see. I want to add at least one or two more colors.

Judi, your RR is turning out great. It is really looking pretty. You can make it as big as you want. I have one that is 30 some odd inches and the RR I'm working on now is 40 and still growing. Can't wait to see it finished. :)

Athba, thank you. :)

CJ, I have the same problem with hooks. My biggest hook is plastic and I hate how it feels too. Unfortunately my budget won't allow me to get any hooks right now but I will definitely be getting a wooden one as soon as I can. I love my wooden ones I have so far. Thanks Judi for the idea.

Julie, right now I'm using scrap yarn and it's okay but not the feel I like. I see alot of people are using Caron SS so I think I will have to try one of these blankets with that type of yarn. Does it work up really thick with the two yarns? I am using regular WW yarn of different brands and it's pretty thick and warm blanket. I'm hoping to stay away from that with the next one.

Julie, Tabby and Wendy; you guys have helped brighten my morning with your chit chat. I love coming in here and all the other CAL to see what you ladies are up to each day. :D

hello ladeis

Jethro don`t hate me i know i didn`t post picture yesturday i`m always late (to inform you i`m always late even in my schools homeworks :lol)

i will try to post some photos today

i have a linguestics exam tomorrow and i`m frightened this professor is the worse ever i don`t understand any thing thats why i took 6\20 the 1st midterm :cry

i have to work harder :clap

I was AWOL yesterday so I am posting this today. It shows the way it is looking so far.

vg1.jpg

It will work just not the way the technique is supposed to :wlol

Donna, thanks...I think I have enough yarn to finish this rr to about a 34/36 inch size, which should be good for Project Linus. I may have to use a ss yarn (if I run out of baby yarn) in 2 shades of green to finish it.

Darski, yours - like all of ours here - is going to be unique. That's what I love about this "technique"...the so-called rules are only suggestions!! The hardest part for most of us seems to have been the color selection. But your picture gave me an idea:

I'm wondering what a patchwork ghan of grannies, using any scraps I have on hand along with off-white (which I have lots of), would look like?

Darski - See, mine were coming out just like yours except in black, white and gray. I've rethought this piece 5 times now. And ironically, I've finally settled on my original that is that way :lol

Judy - Oh yes, that is a spiffy idea! :yes That would bve interesting to see :)

Donna - The SS does actually make a thick feeling afghan, which is surprising to me, since it's actually a lot thinner yarn than the RH , but with 2 strands it turns out real"cushy" feeling .

Athba- no excuses now -- you're not in school , you are here, so let's see a photo little miss ! :lol I'll have to send Jethro out looking for you .

Darski- I think yours looks just fine -- these will all turn out so differently depending in the colors and blends each person does . It's whatever makes you happy !

Judy- I think the scrap-ghan squares would be a neat project. I'd be interested in seeing it !

Cara- yea, this one takes a lot of brain power to keep on laying out the colors in the pattern you want. You'll get something that strikes your fancy I bet .

Hey There Wendy- I see Jethro didn't scare you off . :D

Wow!! I was in here on page 2 just over a week ago. I come back to check on how things are going and there are 29 pages to catch up on. I'm half way through. Will read more tomorrow. I am using Fidgements pattern for the round ripple. I bought the yarn today: frosty green, light sage, spring green, paddy green, hunter green, and dark sage. I'm using Red Heart Super Saver and a size P hook. I'm aiming for a lapghan for my mom for Christmas. I'm almost done with my quiltghan for Kim and then I can start.:devil

Darski- I love purple I think it's looking fine.

Wow Linda that sounds like it will be really nice I like all the shades of green in it.

Judy- that sounds like a neat idea.

I agree with Julie this technique lends itself to all different ways of doing it and every one will be a beautiful work of art!

Well, I can see myself trying out my latest brainstorm soon...in my "spare" time...whatever that is:lol

But I really am curious to see how squares with virtually nothing but scraps would turn out using this method as a guide.

...curiosity...it always gets me into trouble:devil

I was AWOL yesterday so I am posting this today. It shows the way it is looking so far.

vg1.jpg

It will work just not the way the technique is supposed to :wlol

I'm mostly lurking on this thread due to lack of time to take on any new projects, but I did have to comment on this. I am loving the colors, Darski. I could even see doing a 3strand item (afghan maybe) putting all 3 or these together and the way the contrasts would work. What colors are you using?

Sandy

Wow Linda all those greens blended together will look beautiful. Is green your mums favorite color or did you just pick that color out. I see your using a P hook, Im using a J hook and really I probably should have used my N hook. I dont have anything bigger than that.

Im making a rectangle pillow for my cats to lay on. Im using Heathers method, hope you dont mind Heather. One side is light to dark and the other side is dark to light.

I had a great mothers day today and I hope you all have a great day as well.

Linda

You guys are tempting me here doing all these ones in green shades -- but, no, I HAVE to stick with all the other things I have started and not finished. I figure if I stay on task, I can make me something in all greens by Winter of 2009 . :D

Judy- we could put it a little different and say Curiosity keeps you busy ! :hook

Happy Mother's Day to all of you out there .

:manyheart

Well I decided to finish mine as is. I went looking through my stash and couldn't find enough of any color I wanted in the right texture. It's the size of a crib blanket. So it's a good size to stop at. I will try another one in a month or so. I have to go and buy some yarn for my next one.

Hey, Jethro...yup, that's it - keeping me out of trouble - idle hands, remember:devil

Happy Mothers Day, everyone...make good memories today and always try and remember the good times of the past...

Yippee!!!! I found some yarn here I could afford! I went into a Family Dollar type of store here yesterday that I'd never entered and in the far back corner they had a little yarn section! Not the best quality acrylics, but its yarn, and they had three colors that kinda went together so I grabbed them up and now I'm busy working my way through the blankie.

I know I don't have enough of this to do something huge, so I think that I've decided on a method to use.....will see if this works or not!

Archived