Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

Ok I am about half done. it was driving me crazy trying to decide if I liked this or not, so I laddered up a few of the space and took my Friday Photo. I love the colors, and I think my granddaugher who is 5 will too.

vangohcal5-18.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks Wendy, I started it last Saturday, but haven't worked on it since. I have a Flowers for Mom quilt ghan going, and since it is 392 squares and I have most of them done, I have weaving in ends and assembling parts of that all week. I needed a break so I think I will concentrate on this this weekend and see if I can finish it up.

Good morning, all. I'm not really awake yet, but I'm up. I've been thinking about trying something with my big P hook. It isn't very comfortable in my hand, but I love the effect I get with it. I think the problem isn't so much the size as it is the lack of the flat place that the metal hooks have for my thumb and finger to rest in and hold it. I'm thinking of using a knife to carve away some of the plastic and create one. Has anyone ever done that? Do you think it would work?:think

Crochet_gram, that is beautiful!! :yay:cheer:yay What are your colors? Where did you find the pattern? It's lovely.

I'm about ready to start buying yarn for my baby blanket and was looking at baby yarn but all I can find that I can afford is super pale pastels and I was hoping for something a little brighter. Anyways, do you think that using 2 strands of caron simply soft would be just too thick for a baby blanket? Maybe if I used a really big hook? This is going to be more of a Lovee type blanket than even a real blanket. I'm planning on doing pink, purple and white, with the white always in between the pink and purple, in a heart shape with a lacy ruffly around the edges.

Christie, welcome!! That combo sounds great! I love the camo yarn...I added it as a personalization to a baby ghan I made. If you want to see what I did with it, click on my blog in my siggy.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Judy, that's really cute!!! I bought some alphabet beads at Michael's last week, and thought I'd start adding those in one corner, if I knew the baby's name and birthdate. If not, maybe the year of the birth........

Linda - Yeah my P hook seems hollow, too. Guess it depends on what yours is like. My sister has a metal one that I'm gonna steal one of these days since she doesn't really crochet much anyway :lol

Newthing - Oh yes, the CSS should be good. I'd just use a J hook or larger to keep that cushy, softness :yes

Judy, that's really cute!!! I bought some alphabet beads at Michael's last week, and thought I'd start adding those in one corner, if I knew the baby's name and birthdate. If not, maybe the year of the birth........

Thanks!

Alphabet beads are really pretty - but maybe only if your blanket might not be chewed on:D ...you know how trrthing babies can be! Just a thought.

Gram

That is really pretty ! I'm glad someone is trying that pattern . It'll be neat to see how it turns out.

Linda- I'm not sure how it'd work to carve out a space for your thumb, but you could try it and see what happens, or maybe if you have some sturdy sandpaper, that might whittle it down a little .

New- can I ask what your first name is ? Forgive me if I asked before. I try to make note of new people til I learn their names so we all seem a little friendlier .

As for the Caron SS, that's what I used and it makes a nice thick blankie. I think the only problem would be if it's for a summer baby, it'd be way too warm ,but if it's for the rest of the year, it'd work out great .

Ooooh we're starting a family act here with Linda and Joy!! I love it :manyheart Now if I could just get my nephew to pick the hook back up :lol

Well, if he's single, one way you might could entice him back to crocheting is to mention he could use it as a way to meet women. It MIGHT work.

Sandy

Gram I love those colors I think it's coming out great.

I still need to get yarn to work on both my van gogh projects so I don't have anything new to show. DH found a kitten at work yesterday and we have adopted it so I've been busy taking him to the vet and getting him used to us. I'll post a pic of him when I get a good one he's just a tiny baby. :)

Athba the yellow pink one took 16 skeins but it looks like I'll have to make one more row since it seems a little short so I think the total will be 19 or 20 skeins.

Wendy, the flowers for mom afghan was an Annies pattern of the day twice this year. I will have to look when I get home and see if it says what book it came from. It is 392 squares. 40 dark blue, 40 lt blue, 32 green, 162 aran, and a bunch of squares that are half of 2 colors and some that have one side aran and 3 sides one of the other colors. then you assemble them as a quilt to make 5 large flowers. The original pattern uses raspberry (lt & dk).

Thats beautiful Crochet Gram I love the colors. Im sure your granddaughter will love it too.

Good morning, all. I'm not really awake yet, but I'm up. I've been thinking about trying something with my big P hook. It isn't very comfortable in my hand, but I love the effect I get with it. I think the problem isn't so much the size as it is the lack of the flat place that the metal hooks have for my thumb and finger to rest in and hold it. I'm thinking of using a knife to carve away some of the plastic and create one. Has anyone ever done that? Do you think it would work?:think

Crochet_gram, that is beautiful!! :yay:cheer:yay What are your colors? Where did you find the pattern? It's lovely.

Linda the pattern is the round jacobs ladder found here:http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/round-jacobs-ladder.html

the colors are a coral yarn called oceanna that is viscosse & linen, and a green sorbetto that is viscosse, linnen cotton and nylon, and a taupe and a white pearlspun that are linen and viscosse. I have had them forever and the thought is to make a smallish not too heavy ghan for my 5 year old granddaughter to use on her bed when she is reading or napping.

Gram

New- can I ask what your first name is ? Forgive me if I asked before. I try to make note of new people til I learn their names so we all seem a little friendlier .

As for the Caron SS, that's what I used and it makes a nice thick blankie. I think the only problem would be if it's for a summer baby, it'd be way too warm ,but if it's for the rest of the year, it'd work out great .

My name is Liz. I've been meaning to do up a signature but every time I sit down to do it I end up just reading threads.... Anyways, I tried a swatch of the Caron SS in some other colors I had and I will wash it and see how it turns out. The baby will be in September.

Good morning, everyone. I'm up, but not very awake so far this morning. Looks like more sunshine. We could really use a soaking rain, but it doesn't look like today will be the day for that. I added another 4 1/2 rows to my RR yesterday. It sure goes fast. It's going to be nice and warm. Hope you all have a good day. I'm going to be doing cleaning, sorting, laundry and that sort of thing today. :)

Great, Liz !

Glad to learn your name. I always like to keep track of people's names on here so it sounds more friendly . Good luck on your yarn, I hope you like it for this project .

Morning, Linda- sounds like you have a work day planned . We all need to take those once in awhile, don't we ? It's a lot more fun to crochet, but sometimes we have to wash clothes and do dishes . :(

It's a lot more fun to crochet, but sometimes we have to wash clothes and do dishes . :(

We do???

I want to see my contract. I am pretty sure I didn't sign up for that.:wink

:rofl

Archived