do you have friends that crochet, or is it a personal thing?

No, just me.

Crochetville is so much fun for me because there are friends with whom to share my passion. We praise and help and encourage each other. It is wonderful.

When I went to the CGOA convention in 2006 it was amazing! Hundreds of crocheters all talking, wearing, admiring crochet...while crocheting madly. It was eye-opening. I was sad not to go this year...but I needed a more quiet summer. Next year, for sure, I'm going back.

So, friends, thanks for being here.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my friends taught me to crochet a year and a half ago and now I can't quit!! We started a group on our college campus where we make blankets for project linus and a couple of other charities. This is definately an obsession rather than a hobby for me and at least 2 of my other friends.

We have a craft group that meets every fortnight in a local hall or at someone's home, and of the approx 20 that attend, about 15 of us crochet. Its great to have friends who crochet because you can share experiences and ask about difficult things or patterns that don't read right! One of my friends is a judge for the Sydney Royal Easter Show in the crochet and knitting sections and we refer to her as "The Oracle" because there isn't too much she doesn't know about either knitting or crochet! She's a handy friend to have around!!!

I'm the only one that seriously crochets. I have a friend that knows how to but doesnt do it that often. And I've tried to teach a few friends how to, but it didn't turn out too well

I got started because my mom and sister crochet. I have met one 20-yr-old who crochets, but don't know her well. So, other than that it's just me. I tried to get the kids started, but no interest there. I'm hoping to meet some locals soon. Maybe even start a group. I think it would be great fun to get together for a crochet session.

Cherry

:hook My childhood friend taught me to crochet after she made my daughter a blankie that became her security blankie. I HAD to crochet to keep her supplied with security blankies as I couldn't afford to buy them already made and she would only accept yarn blankies. There an obsession was born for both of us! She's still addicted but now she wants sun flower and asian and star afghans. Thank goodness she does as a hook waits. Oh, back to the original question; my friend who taught me lives in another state we share pattern sources and ideas via the internet and on the very rare occasions we can get together we just sit and crochet and chat and catch up:yarn

That is why I joined here. I don't know anyone that crochets. The really sad part is most of my extended family does not appreciated anything crocheted. My dds' and dh like my stuff and I guess everything else I do I will donate to charities. I would really like to do some purses though, is there someplace to donate them?

My mom knows how to crochet but she doesn't do it very often if at all these days! I don't have any other crocheting friends sadly. I've always wanted to join a crocheting club or something, but me being so young, I'd be scared that everyone else in the club were adults! I don't know anyone my age (or in my school haha) who takes crocheting as seriously as I do!

I don't have any crocheter friends, save for one who I haven't seen in about two years. My mother crochets and knits and sews; however, she's also a Special Ed teacher who doesn't have much time for such things.

Most of my friends think it's cool that I can crochet, though, and one of them wants me to teach her.

I don't really have any close friends that crochet either. There is one lady at church, but I don't think she really does anything besides granny squares and blanket edgings....and since I do a wide variety of projects, there's not much to talk with her about!

I have friends that both knit and crochet, and we do talk sometimes about things we are working on, but never get together and have a yarn night.

I have, over the years, taught several co-workers to crochet, so during breaks, or in the winter when we knew we were going to have slow days, we brought our projects to work and got to crochet together sometimes, of course we were all working on different things. :)

I think it would be fun to form a group that all works on the same thing so if anyone needed help we could help each other. Even though I have crocheted for years there is so much I have never done, or don't know how to do, well I won't say don't know how, just never tackled. I just think it would be more fun if everyone was doing the same project. Like people who join reading clubs and they all read the same book and meet to discuss it. The biggest problem I see, is about time. I know I have a lot of free time, or let's say I crochet when I should be dusting :lol , so when the group meets we would be in such different stages of completion. Does that make sense?

I know there are other women here who crochet because when I go our local county fair, I always go to the arts and crafts entries to see who has entered what. And I am always ooohing and ahhhing over what I see and think, I would love to have that pattern. :D

Someone mentioned in this thread how some knitters act a bit snooty because they knit and I crochet, and I know exactly what they are talking about. I can tell you that attitude doesn't sit to well with me. :angry I am proud of what I do. I can knit a little bit, I am not all that good at it because I taught myself, no one in my immediate family knitted so I had no one to teach me. I just find myself turning back to crocheting because I have done it so long, it just come s natural to me, like breathing :lol

Someone also mentioned they had a webcam, :) I have one also and if anyone wants to contact me about getting together on the cam some days, just send me a pm. I am on yahoo, and I have sound and all that stuff where we can actually talk to each other voice to voice and share what we are doing. I think that would be great. I can't do that until we get back from vacation because I am in a whirlwind trying to get things done here before I leave, but after that I would love to.

Okay I wrote a novel, sorry about that, but when you are talking crochet, it just seems to happen.:eek

Blondie

My bestfriend crochet and knits. I taught her to do both actually. :hook

I also have a couple other friends that crochet, a bunch that knit, and the others do embroidery or paint.

Basically I'm surrouded by crafty women! :manyheart

My best friend's mom crochets so we get together and talk about it. We finally talked my friend into picking up a hook this weekend! Before I took up crochet, my friend and I would have counted cross-stitch stitch-a-longs at each other's houses. I don't know anyone else who crochets. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, no...none of my friends in the real world crochet and none of them are too interested in learning, despite all my offers to teach them. We used to be able to crochet at work between calls, but the powers that be put a stop to it and anyway, none of the ladies who crocheted work there anymore. But, that is where I learned to crochet, about 10 years ago.

My sweet sister in law crocheted but she passed away in 2000. The first year she & my brother were married, she made me an afghan for Christmas, I was so touched, no one had ever made me an afghan before, & I couldn't crochet then. She was really excited that I learned how. The last Christmas she was alive, I crocheted her an angel out of thread..it was really beautiful. I really miss her and every time I pick up a crochet hook, I feel close to her again.

I don't have any really close friends that crochet. I did meet the crossing guard at my dd school who crochets. We talk for the few seconds that we have, but we have never gotten together to swap stories.

Archived