do you have friends that crochet, or is it a personal thing?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really the only one that crochets. My mom knits so i still have someone to talk to about my projects but i can't get into too much detail or she gets lost, LOL. I will talk to my BF about my projects sometimes if i'm super excited about one...and he'll listen but he hasn't a clue what i'm talking about. At least he loves the blankets i make...that's all i care about :manyheart

the only other person that I know that :crocheting is my mother and she hasnt crochet in about 5 years. So I am on my own. When I do mention to some of my freinds or family on what I am working on they all look at me funny and then ask me if I like acting like a grandma. That I get upset about and then the always seem to want me to make them something. I have yet to make those individuals anthing for the fact that they really do not know the time and effort you put into it. So I am all alone, except now I have crochetville:clap

When I started Crocheting over 30 yrs ago I didn't have friends that did something like this, but now I have several friends that crochet at church and one or two I have even taught. Not that I am that good just willing to try to show them what I know which isn't much.

I am very blessed. My best friend crochets plus she uses the looms. We Love to share our projects, shop for yarn and alot of talk. I do remember when it was just myself. You said you about bust at the seams to talk about it. I remember that feeling. I meet alot of people in the yarn isles and switched patterns, maybe that would work for you since you are working in such a great place. I know you will find someone. Is their someone you could teach. Happy hooking!

Unfortunately, I have no family or friends who crochet. I wish my mother did because I would love to be able to share "crochet time" with her instead of listening to her crab about my dad all the time. LOL

I do have an aunt who sometimes crochets, but she lives in Washington state and I live in Missouri. And I don't think she crochets much any more since she had a stroke. She does a lot of quilting.

I know there must be some crocheters here in St. Louis, but I'll be darned if I can find any. Would love to get together with a group of other crocheters for an evening or two. It would mean so much to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel sort of guilty. Ihave a friend who is having a very stressful time lately like every time she turns around just something! Well i got her a crochet calender the one with a pattern for every day, for X-mas and mind you i have known her over 20 years and my talking crochet has made her roll her eyes many times and look at me like few bricks short of a load, and well she is truly and literally hooked. I almost feel like i spread it like a virus! She says it feels like it has saved her life. But it is so fun to finally have somebody to crochet with!!

Rired41,

I loved your story! My Mom taught me to crochet when I was 10 and she's been my crochetbuddy ever since. We love to do the same projects at the same time and compare/share. We crochet so differently and are always saying how the others is so much better! It's quite fun! I've recently started a group of crafters I know because we all do different things: scrapbook, crochet, knit, cross stitch. We call ourselves, Chat'N'Craft. hehe

Just me. No one I know crochets, knits or uses a knifty knitter. When a painter was at our house he brought his little girl with him and I taught her to chain and single crochet. He says she has made hats for her dolls.

I have one friend back in Michigan (I'm originally from there) who crochets but other than her it's a personal thing. It's fine though. Crocheting can be nice and relaxing when I want me-time.

Yea none of my friends knit crochet cross stitch or anything else. My mom crochets so thats nice when I go home and we sit and stitch together. And my younger sister just started not too long ago (Hi DanielleMarie!!!) and requests ideas and websites and such. But she cant keep her sides straight, so I get to chuckle at her for that!!! :lol

Couldn't find a crochet gathering which suited my needs. I occasionally go to a spinning guild. Those folks do all kinds of things with fibers. It's quite an education. They are very adventuresome. I've been told that crocheters are more solitary than knitters. Don't know. It is a quieter task, that's one of the reasons I picked it--just one quiet little hook and some kind of thread or yarn in my fingers. It is fulfilling, but I don't have to tell anyone here that. You all know.

My mom crochets a little when she has the time. I'm 20 as well, and I taught my boyfriend to crochet and now he loves it! He's currently working on an afghan and some matching pillows for the couch in his apartment. It is really great to have someone so close to share a hobby with.

Pretty much just me. I've taught one friend the stitches needed to do a granny square afghan, and one friend is interested in learning but apparently not from me. :( My mom doesn't really crochet, and the grandmother who did tons of it passed away; it was finding her hooks that inspired me to start in the first place. My other grandma used to, but doesn't all that much anymore, I don't think.

So, yeah. That's why I'm so excited about this place. :hook

• 2 weeks later...

The only folks I know who crochet are here. :( Most of my friends don't even know I crochet until I make them something. I crocheted a baby afghan for my best girlfriend, who is becoming a grandmother for the first time, and she was *shocked* to learn that I crocheted. So.....I have taken all my yarn out of all my hiding places and brought it out in the open. We'll see if anyone notices other than my DH.........

Rhonda

Rogue River, OR

Great question!

I know no one else. :(

I was visiting with my nieces (2 nieces, 2 occasions) and asked if they'd mind if I knit. I started knitting and they asked to learn.

I taught them and they were SO enthusiastic! Went out and bought stuff right away and started. VERY happy to make a couple of scarves and things.

Then they stopped.

Just ... stopped.

I tried a few times to remind them that they said it helped them feel centered and relaxed and they said that was true but they didn't start again.

Why do folks do that? ???

When I enjoy something I only stop if something is wrong (like it hurts my arms or I don't have materials or whatever). :think

I don't have any friends that crochet, but I'm extremely lucky that my mom does! I get stuck on something and she has to help me with it. She's always been crafty....quilting, embroidery, cross-stitch, macrame (SP?), sewing, even painting. My grandmother crochets too...not as much though because she has terrible arthuritis. I had a friend who made fun of me for crocheting...she said 'You're not an old woman, so why are you doing THAT?' It irked me quite a bit of course. Not even 2 days later she was asking me if I would teach her. It was terrible of me but I just told her to go to WalMart and get a book! :lol

I have no friends or family in my area. I live in a really rough area [read daily gun shots!] so I don't really talk to anyone. My family is pretty much dangerous for my children so I keep away from them. The only friends I have that crochet are online. I am very grateful though, for my online friends. They really do make a positive differences in my life!

Sort of. I'm surrounded by crocheters, knitters, and other "stichers," but I haven't really connected with any of them. I have one friend downstate who crochets, but I rarley get to talk to her anymore (I have DH and school while she has school, I think full time work, and is a single mom of 2. How does she do it all?!! :eek ) and another friend who I taught. I was looking forward to sharing a house with her next year, but because of the whole economy thing, she can't get hired back at her old summer job and probably won't be back here next year. :(

My mom and grandma both used to crochet (they taught me) but neither really does anymore. It seems like everybody I know thinks that I'm this great crocheter who knows everything about it. :think But I'm only 21 and really haven't been doing it that long. I don't get it.

Archived