do you have friends that crochet, or is it a personal thing?

i'm almost 20, and i have NO FRIENDS that crochet. well, one, but i only see her once in a while because i work with her at michael's, and she's not overly obsessed with it like i am lol. the only people i can talk to about crochet is my mom, my aunt, and my boyfriend (who i think just humors me). i guess i could count the numerous customers that come into michael's with knitting and crochet questions, and since i rarely get to share my knowledge, i practically burst when someone mentions yarn lol. OHHH, and i KNOW i can't forget my fellow crochetvillers haha! but is anybody else like this? or do you have a crochet group or a certain friend that you share this with?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope don't have any friends that crochet, except on the internet, HERE. I have my sisters and daughters that like my stuff, I have taught my Grandaughter to crochet but now that she is a teenager she has better things to do with her time, computer, sports, school, etc. As long as I have Crochetville, I will be happy....

Hey, I have one friend who crochets, but that is all. That is why I love this forum soooooo much!!! It gives me the crochet fix I need, it is right up there next to crocheting for me. I bet it is great working at Michaels though!!! I can only dream of that one!!! It is great that you are crocheting though. I wish I had learned to crochet when I was your age. It might have kept me out of alot of trouble!!! :devil

A friend taught me to crochet...and she's the only person I know around here who does. We're not best buds or anything, so crocheting is really not something we do together. However, my SO's mother, sister, and a cousin crochet. They live in Iowa, but I keep in touch with all three of them. I talk to my family about it some, but they all just kinda think I've gone a bit nuts with it. And maybe I have *mawahhhh* :hook

Wow it's interesting that most of us are the only ones that crochet. I too have no friends that crochet but my new daughter-in-law does knit. I guess I'll wait for the granddaughters to teach them to crochet. I love this ville, it's a friend to us all!!

Nope, no friends-just my MIL who only does afghans. My daughter is becoming interested though so I'm teaching her to chain and sc now. It would be so nice to have a girlfriend to sit and crochet with. Sigh.........

nope, I don't have any friends that are "artsy" at all, lol, they all make fun of me in fact and call me GRANNY, pooh on them!! At leaste I dont have to borrow them my hooks or anyting, so there with them...lol..

oh yea, but when they WANT something made, I make them BEG, because they call me granny, they have to BEG...lol

wow... isn't it ironic that it seems like there are so many of us crocheters, yet very few of us have any friends that crochet?! we must all live a million miles apart lol. although this did make me feel better, i was starting to think i was becoming one of those creepy loners because i had no one to crochet with lol!

it would be cool to have a friend that crochets, or even knits,,,,,anything to do with yarn,,,,,LOLOL, Not one even macrames! LOL! not one of them has any kind of hobby that would include anything that I could even use to crochet,,,,,none of them even fish! LOLOL!!

None of my friends crochet or knit. My best friend's roommate does a little bit of crochet - she only knows how to chain and do single crochet. I offered to show her more but she said she knows all she needs to know to make an afghan. Oh well...I tried.

I recently found out that my best friend crochets too. But she's not as 'into' it as I am, just does it now and again. She's also not really the crafty type. I don't think I'd really enjoy hanging out with a handful of other crocheters working, for me it's a solitary, relaxing thing. I mean, I'll work when I'm at my parents or in front of the TV with DH, but that is downtime, not social time... if I'm making any sense.... (That and I don't like 'people' (i.e. people who can do this too) watching me work... I'm too much of a perfectionist and never satisfied with my own work compared to others....) :shrug

I have 3 friends who crochet. I'm teaching a fourth and her 2 oldest dd's. We will be getting together next Friday for another "lesson"...lol. I love it. When I show them stuff they ask about stitches, we swap patterns and show each other new stuff to make. However, when I'm teaching my friend and her dd's I get very little done myself!! That's ok, soon enough they won't need me...sniff sniff... they'll probably out crochet me too with just a little bit of time under their belts!!

So yes, I'm blessed with crafty friends, and I'm oh so thankful for them!!

I'm a young crocheter too and I don't have any friends who do....I have a few that knit (whom I taught! ha!) and my friend just showed an interest in learning to Crochet. I'm trying to get a group together on my campus for knitters and crocheters...we'll see.

I have several friends that crochet and knit--we seem to alternate between the two. But I don't think they are as fanatic as I am about it. lol. And, it's kind of nice--since I've been crocheting and knitting the longest, they generally come to me with questions. At work, we'll work on our projects at lunch, share patterns, etc. Can only think of one other that crochets in my family, and she's in Michigan and I'm in Arizona, so we don't chat too much. Oh, a friend from high school in Texas--we graduated years and years ago--and I share patterns occasionally.

But as everyone has said--sure do lovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee this forum!

I don't really have any friends that crochet but I have friends/co-workers that i can share my overall craft and yarn excitement with. I have taught two co-workers to crochet, found another who does but i don't know her very well. There are a couple others who knit and one of them is about as obesses with fibers as I am. in fact i called her on the way home from work to tell her about the great deal i just got on wool/angora/cotton sweaters at the thrift store that i'm recycling. she laughed with me and said "you sound positively giddy!" LOL

We all must be made from the same crochet pattern..!!! I only have 1 friend who crochets and she waits for me to come up with new ideas and then she copies them.........glad to know we are all so much alike.:manyheart

I have 2 sisters who crochet, but neither lives close to me and neither does thread crochet, which is MY love.

Am I creepy and weird? :think Maybe. But I have some friends who dearly love the items I make for them and they nod and smile when I talk about my craft. Probably just being nice... :lol but I appreciate it.

I was on an email list for crochet and got so sick of the mods always writing STAY ON TOPIC, STAY ON TOPIC to everyone that I got off it and came over here.

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

I'm just sorry it's taken me so long to find it!

I had a problem with a pattern and I posted a HELP and everyone was so nice and helpful that I darn near cried.

And that doily they 'helped me make' turned out so beautiful that I am dreading parting with it. It brings back Crochetville memories! :lol :lol :lol

Cripes! Didn't mean to go on and on.... :blush

:devil

I have LOTS of friends that crochet! Of course, I've never met any of them in person because you all live in cyberspace! :lol

Seriously, the only person I ever knew who crocheted was my great aunt, the one that taught me how to do it when I was a little girl. I do have a couple of friends that knit...but no crochet. Makes me kind of sad. I am jealous of all of those ladies that meet at church once a month for their "quilting circles" and those ladies at the LYS that sit back on the couches and knit away and chat (don't feel that welcome there...being a low-life crochet girl, you know).

That's why I am glad I have the 'ville. When I stumbled across it last year, it was such an affirmation for me to know that there were other people out there that loved to crochet and that a lot of them were my age!

Love you guys....:manyheart

I have 1 friend that does the basics, I have been trying to teach her some different stitches, but she tends to forget what I've taught her after I leave.

My sister printed out a page that had all the basic stitches on it and sent it to me right after I taught myself how to crochet. It really helped me.

Maybe you can do something similar for your friend?

I remember referring to the page my sister sent me many times, until I could remember that a trc was yo twice, a dc was yo once, and a multitude of the other basics.

I still have the print out, although now I don't have to refer to it. :lol

Just an idea.

:devil

Archived