do you have friends that crochet, or is it a personal thing?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only one friend who crochets. The problem is, he's left handed. When we crochet together - we'll get together and watch movies, complete with projects - we have to face away from each other. We can't watch the other crochet, it looks 'wrong'.

I don't have anyone here that crochets. My grandma crocheted alot when I was growing up. My mom sews and my aunt knits and does a little crochet. My mother in law knits. It was her taking up knitting that was one of the reasons why I took up crochet. I gave knitting a go and really didn't get on with it. I could remember the little that my grandma taught me when I was little and decided to have a go. I'm absolutely loving it! The feeling of satisfaction that I get from just putting a hook and yarn together and seeing the results just is way beyond what I thought it would be. My first project was a scarf and then I did a hat (with no pattern either) which turned out great and now I'm doing a granny square afghan for one of my boys.

How interesting. I have only one friend who crochets but we have nasty schedules and do not get together frequently. I'd would love to have someone to hang around and crochet with. But at least we have each other here at Crochetville. Thanks heaven for technology. "Hooks Around the World!" When I was little (around 10 or so) I started a SnB group with the adult women in my family. Believe it or not, I came up with the name myself because after the first "meeting" I remarked to my mother that all the women seemed to work on their project and moan about something at the same time. Now that I am somewhat older (!) I understand their need to vent with other women. I also learned to do lots of different crafts from those women: toll painting, decoupage, needlepoint, crewel, cross-stitch, and lots more. As I write this I have decided to start my own SnB group and invite all my girlfriends over. No harm in trying! Perhaps you could do the same where you are! In the meantime, we can chat here!

My mom knits a little bit ... and I have a friend who crochets a little bit, but she lives far away ... I totally want someone to hang out with or a club or something to get together and chat while crocheting ... but haven't found anyone yet ... that is why crochetville is so fun!

Yes, I have some friends who like to crochet. They are beginners and I'm beginning to explore stuff that isn't supposed to be flat or stuffed with a pillowform when you're done. It's nice to meet at a local coffee shop to teach them something new. :)

nope, im the only crocheter i know around here. a matter of fact, i have no friends here at all, being that we just moved here.....:( jeez. i am sad now. must crochet some happiness:hook

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any friends, except the new ones I'm meeting here, that I know crochet either. It's a personal thing for me. I quit smoking after 26 years :clapand needed something that was busy and detailed real quick like. It's been heaven for me that's for sure. I just started my 4th afghan, lol. :cheer:hook:cheer

i have one friend that crochets. until we each purchased houses, we would get together with the kids almost daily and they would play while we crocheted away. now we live in different states and call each other and talk about our projects and email pic back and forth of the newest wips.

nadine

they all make fun of me in fact and call me GRANNY [ . . . ] oh yea, but when they WANT something made, I make them BEG, because they call me granny, they have to BEG...lol

100% funny!

I had a ton of friends who crocheted in college. It was nothing to walk into the lobby of our dorm and have four or five women crocheting and talking about what was on TV.

In fact, during the first Presidental election that most of us were eligible to vote in, we had a spontaneous watch party. We all were so anxious and excited, so we watched the race in the lobby, and crocheted like mad. Crocheting was a great way to release some nervous stress!

Laughing ~ Joy

I have two friends that crochet. One lives in NYC and the other in Virigina.

I taught one how to read patterns and now she is doing her thing. Check out her myspace site at myspace.com-jandccrochet.

I trying to teach my 8 yr. old niece and my sister. My niece calls me up and asked, when is our next lesson. She knows how to chain, but is having trouble with yarning over and drawing through the loop. My sister get as far as dc and stop.

I was teaching a co-worker, but she tends to forget what I've taught her after I leave. We don't socialize outside the office. She wants to be on my crochet level, but I had to tell her that she have to learn the basic first. She says she picks it up every now and than.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anyone IRL who crochets. I tried to get my friend interested, but she is too "tense". She was too serious - gripped the hook and yarn so tight and hunched up her shoulders - it was quite amusing!

Okay, you're gonna be a little jealous, because I am a teacher with a class that crochets! Guess who taught them? Yep! I did. :cheer I teach 4th graders and I taught beginning crochet for 6 weeks for what we call "enrichment." Where did I get the idea? From my principal! She is a master crocheter!! If you walk in to my class right now you will see yarn bags on the back table with projects in progress and yarn balls with chains started stuffed in some students desks. We even entered some of our projects in our "Artist of the Month" school competition. A third grade teacher also teaches crochet to her students so I get some students coming in to 4th grade with the knowledge! My students crochet quietly when they are done with their work, or when we are watching a video, or sometimes even on the playground. This year was the first year that I taught a class to crochet (you should have seen the sweat rings under my arms at the end of that day! I have 32 students!) I will continue the tradition from here on out, it is definitely life changing for these students!:yes

Wow! Now I feel like I have a lot of friends who crochet! I have a friend who is a girl who does, a former friend (turns out she wasn't actually a good friend and was very two sided) who does crochet. I also have 2 male friends who crochet! Well, one of them knits, but I'm going to teach him how to crochet because it's essential for some knitting projects! I think it's awesome that they do! The other guy I know learned with his youth group to make hats for homeless people! Sweet right? Sad thing is...i've crocheted once with the male knitter, and then the friend i used to always crochet with is the girl I'm not friends with anymore! I got the good end of that deal though, so it's okay...I just need to find someone else! Also, I'm about the same age as you are Leese's! A little older (but less than a year it looks like!).

I have a few friends that crochet, but we don't get together with it. They tried having a "social" nite going at the church for crocheters but it didn't work out..

so basicially I am alone with it .. lol

I am self - taught; and have been crocheting since 74; I would really like to learn to knit but so far haven't given it another try... lol

Archived