do you have friends that crochet, or is it a personal thing?

Nope, I'm 26 and have crocheted avidly since I was 15. I also knit and have no friends who do either one.

Since we just started homeschooling there are some other moms (in our homeschool group) who crochet but I know them that well.

I am lucky that I have a group of friends who are at least very impressed with my stuff, so I can talk to them about it in that way. lol They love seeing the stuff I've made.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a lone crocheter too! none of my friends crochet and they also call me granny..lol..BUT they all tend to want to know what im making and keep a general interest, thats why i'm estatic to have come across this site to have some like minded buddies that understand my ever piling stash of wool :)

I have family members who crochet, but with exception of the people I know through this site, I don't have too many friends who crochet like I do...they either knit or quilt or scrapbook...

I also have NO friends or family who crochet so I was excited to get an e-mail from a sweet lady who lives in Palm Beach County and had seen my website. We met for lunch and have now set up a "crochet date" to take place in a few weeks. It's my first experience meeting another crocheter in my area!

Since moving from SC to Wyoming, I have not met anyone who crochets!! It breaks my heart....lots of knitters out here. That's okay, I knit too but, crochet has my heart!!! I cannot wait to get back to SC in a few years and hook up with all the crocheters!!!!

It's just me. A former co worker taught me how to make a granny square about a year ago and I learned the rest on my own. She only wanted me to learn what she wanted me to learn when she wanted me to learn it. She wouldn't teach me to read patterns or to learn any other stitches just the DC and chain. When she saw how I was progressing on my own she quit wanting to meet on lunch breaks to crochet. She was very critical of my work and if I asked her for help she would unravel my work and say she had to take it home with her to work it out then tell me how to do it. Well that left me with nothing until she was ready to bring it back to me. I did not like the way things were going so I did my own thing. Before I stopped asking her for assistance, she would set up dates to meet me to crochet and then stand me up. She seemed to be such a nice lady too. Very sweet and soft spoken. I just started to find help in books and the internet. I have learned so much on my own and here at Crochetville. So I guess I am better off without her. I like being on my own.

No friends that crochet. But I joined a group at my church that knits and crochets for charity, so now I do have friends who crochet and knit. Sometimes, you just have to look around and find people who have the same interests as you.

And it's always fun to have new friends!

:manyheart

I belong to Crochet Guild of America. When I was in Chicago, they had a guild chapter that met every month of maybe 30-40 people (some guys too). Now I have moved to Oregon I crochet 2 x a month at the church with other women who do different crafts. A new member of CGOA is starting a local chapter here in Oregon between Portland and Salem. Our first meeting will be 4/14/07 & I am looking forward to it. You can go on CGOA website to see if there are any local chapters in your area. Or you could go to the meetup website to see if there are any local area groups you can go to.

I don't have any friends that crochet (except for all my crochet friends here at the 'ville!). I do have a co-worker that started crocheting last year, so I printed out a 'crochet handbook' for her which included tutorials of stitches and some easy patterns to get her started.

My mom was a crocheter/knitter years ago, but put it down due to health issues. Now that she is in the rehab center and has lots of free time on her hands in between her therapy sessions, I took her a skein of yarn and a hook last night. i gave her a mini refresher course and turned her loose. When I left last night, she was trying to get her tension correct on her beginning chain. I will be printing her a 'crochet handbook' to give to her tomorrow.

I have one friend who crochets. Found out one of my neighbors also crochets. When I worked I used to see more people crocheting but since being retired, don't see them anymore. However, one of the volunteer clubs through my old company has a hobby meeting every couple of weeks at a building near me and they do sit and crochet and knit. But other than that, I am about the only person I know who does it contstantly.

LI Roe

Nope just me since my dm passed:( . My d sis thinks its an "old woman hobby" and my dd doesn't like it either. but for the most part everyone loves what I make, and the gifts that they receive. It would be nice if there were more people I know who crocheted. I sometimes go to crochet classes, and I'm trying my first knitting class next month although up to now I think knitting is:devil . lol

Nope just me since my dm passed:( . My d sis thinks its an "old woman hobby" and my dd doesn't like it either. but for the most part everyone loves what I make, and the gifts that they receive. It would be nice if there were more people I know who crocheted. I sometimes go to crochet classes, and I'm trying my first knitting class next month although up to now I think knitting is:devil . lol

I've had the "old woman hobby" line said to me before. I just look up and say "just call me Grandma then.":hook (i love that smiley)

One co-worker who crochets, however, she is very slow at it. I keep asking if she finished her latest ghan (all that needs to be done is weave in the ends) That was 1.5 yrs ago......:eek

My DH's cousins wife is a crocheter and when we go and visit them ( at least 2 times a year) I make sure I have plenty of yarn and projects to do = we have a blast while the men go and check out the micro brewery down the street. I love our visits there is nothing like them anywhere :manyheart

I'm the lone crocheter...I have friends who knit, though. One friend made the stupidest remark when I told her I was also learning to knit -- "Oh, so you've outgrown that crocheting stuff!" Like it's baby fat, or something. It never fails to mystify me how people think knitting is somehow superior to crocheting. They're so different...it's like comparing apples and oranges. Of the two, I prefer crocheting, so I don't get how it's "inferior" to knitting...

Living all the way across the country from my mom and gramma, I had given up crocheting, but have picked it up again -- with a passion

At church I discovered there are a lot of moms like me who carry yarn arts in their purses, so we formed club! We meet once a month, to share, encourage, cry together and more. See if there is a group in your area to join.

It never fails to mystify me how people think knitting is somehow superior to crocheting

My own mother ~ who taught me how to crochet, mind you ~ loves to make the remark that"crochet is the 'poorer cousin' to knitting". She especially likes to do this when someone else sees me crocheting and makes a nice comment about whatever I'm making. Obviously, she knits, I crochet. Mothers can be SO nice & supportive sometimes, can't they? :angry

Anyway ~ the only other person I know who crochets is my best friend, Michelle. The WEIRD thing is that we were best friends all through school ~ 1st grade through high school ~ then, we kinda lost touch when I went off to college. But after about 10 years, we reconnected when I moved back home. We had both learned to crochet about a year prior to that & are still crocheting like crazy! Weird, huh?

:manyheart

My friends are starting to get sick of me going on about what I'm working on. Then, of course, after they're done complaining, they inevitably ask me to make them something. Brats.

I've only got my mom to really talk to about technique and whatnot, since my grandmothers and aunts have all passed away. And even though my mother initially taught me, she only ever had basic skills with it, so I'm a bit beyond her now. She's always really impressed with what I'm working on.

What an interesting question. I have no friends that crochet either. I have tried to join a meetup group that has knitters as well as crocheters. They are suposed to meeet only once a month here in town. But they never do, so I don't even try anymore. There are a few people in my family that have crocheted before. But none as much as I do. And they have only made afghans or doilies. I like to make other items. I make baby blankets too, but I enjoy the other things more.

Archived