do you have friends that crochet, or is it a personal thing?

I'm 47 and I don't have any friends or relatives that crochet. I hate that! I would love to know someone else that was into it like me. I wish there was a crochet group near my home. none of my daughters are interested in crochet either. they just don't get it, they see me making stuff and say stuff like "you could buy those ya know! arggg! I am just so glad I found this site! my husband and kids keep saying "no one does that anymore" meaning Crocheting. arrgg!! They make me so mad!! :no

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one I am close with crochets. My mother and sister, living in the Pittsburgh area, both knit, but that is as close as it gets, and they are 400 miles away from me. My sister and I email pictures back and forth, and whenever I am going out there, she asks me what projects I am bringing. She is my "enabler" since she is the one who bought me the EdgeryDoo for my birthday 2 weeks ago. When I finish the current WIP, my Stadium RR, I will start playing with the EdgeryDoo. First project has to be for sister who is a fanatic for the Steelers. I already bought some black and gold fleece to start the blanket.

PS: If you don't know about the EdgeryDoo, check out the Crochetville posts on it

My aunt and my mother crochet - I learned from both of them - and they learned from their mom, my "Nanny".

As far as friends, I don't have any friends who crochet.

I have friends who WANT to crochet. I've tried to teach some, but most of them lack the patience to learn - they want to be able to hook up some fancy bag right away or make a big fancy afghan. (little do they know, when I'm having them make those 6" or so squares of different stitches it could eventually be an afghan)

My significant other isn't crafty - but I have made him hook a few stitches into some of my pentacle shawls to lend his energy into the piece if it's for a particular person.

i'mb asically just a loner I guess - excpet fo all ya'll!!

Yup, I'm the only one who crochets. Nobody around me does it. It gets a little lonely at times because there's no one to yak crochet with. Thank goodness I found this forum and all you wonderful folks. :manyheart

I have a couple of friends that crochet. I used to work with all of them, but the store closed, so who knows when we'll be crocheting together again. We used to stand at the customer service counter and crochet during our down time.

One of the girls already knew how to crochet. I then taught two others. Then we taught one of the guys (he made boxer shorts, and actually wore them when they were finished!!).

I'm gonna have to plan a get-together with my friends from work, and maybe my friends from here! Anyone from philly or south jersey interested, send me a PM of where you're from and how far you might be willing to travel, as well as when you are free!

My mom lives almost next door and she makes doilies. I have a work friend that I taught basic crochet to also. Neither of them are hooked as much as I am, tho. They crochet when they have time ... I have to have my fix! :D

I guess I'm lucky. I always crochet with my mom when I visit her, or with my sister, when we visit. I don't live near them, tho, so most of the time I've crocheted by myself. But in the past couple of years, my SIL took up crocheting again and dragged a couple of her friends to crochet classes, so now we all meet once a month for lunch and then crochet all afternoon.

I don't have any friends who crochet (not counting all the new friends I'm making here, of course :hook ). I tried going to a meeting of the local knit and crochet guild, but I was the youngest woman there, and the only one without children. It seemed like it was more a group of women getting together to complain about their husbands and children, and I was really pretty uncomfortable through the meeting.

I do come from a long line of crafty women, with a few who knew/know how to crochet, but I don't live anywhere close to any of them.

Nope on my own. I don't get out much since I had my daughter and my car went DOA for a while. I've had a friend ask me to teach her, but that hasn't gotten very far since I usually only see her at work and our lives outside of that are very mismatched. My husband is impressed with what I can do, but I think he mainly humors me with my yarn obsession:yarn . My mom and such just think I'm nuts.

• 5 weeks later...

I had my mom to crochet with til she started forgetting how. I taught my

daughter and she crocheted with me this winter but now is too busy with

her life. I have emailed three ladies from here who live in the same town

as i do and we plan to get together soon I hope. It would be fun to have

other people to crochet with!!!

My mom and both SILs crochet. A couple of my friends crochet, but they are super beginners, so I am trying to help them along.

i'm almost 20, and i have NO FRIENDS that crochet. well, one, but i only see her once in a while because i work with her at michael's, and she's not overly obsessed with it like i am lol. the only people i can talk to about crochet is my mom, my aunt, and my boyfriend (who i think just humors me). i guess i could count the numerous customers that come into michael's with knitting and crochet questions, and since i rarely get to share my knowledge, i practically burst when someone mentions yarn lol. OHHH, and i KNOW i can't forget my fellow crochetvillers haha! but is anybody else like this? or do you have a crochet group or a certain friend that you share this with?

I have a friend who crochets and my church has a knit/crochet prayer shawl ministry so I have others I can discuss it with, but mostly I talk here about it.

• 2 weeks later...

just one, I taught her but she's more into sewing, though she is making a baby blanket for her lil one due in Sept, and one of my BF has asked me to teach her next time she visits

No friends that crochet here, i tried to teach my friend to crochet because she wanted to learn. But she wasn't helping by practicing. I tired to teach my daughter too but it was just as hard for her and she got frustrated. I think i will try again when she comes back from my parents house.

I have a couple g/f's that crochet. Only one is as into it as I am. We usually help each other out by calling when we see interesting things at yard sales & flea Markets, share patterns, and have weekly "crochet days" where she just comes over and we crochet while chatting. It's nice :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have one friend who crochets, usually blankets for the new baby. My neighbor knows how to knit but doesn't do it very often. My daughters know how to crochet, but stay busy doing other family things. I know I crochet more now than when I was younger with a family to raise. It seems to me, the younger generation stays on the go so much more than my generation did.

I'm 46 and I started learning to crochet when I was 5. I have never had a friend or realtive (except my Great Aunt Suzie who taught me and died when I was 8) who crocheted or knitted. I am the only yarn addict in the lot :think maybe I was switched at birth in the hospital.

SOOOOOO, you can imagine how excited I was when I found the 'Ville :hook

Oh the joy to have so many crochet friends :clap

Archived