do you have friends that crochet, or is it a personal thing?

I have one close friend who crochets. Two of my other friend have started on a basic v stitch rug that I have taught them and they come to visit when they make mistakes.

My mum taught me, but she only does facewashers and towel tops as she doesn't read patterns, just does these.

My Godmother was my lifeline who came through with a pile of patterns when I first learnt to read a pattern (had been crocheting since I was about 6 because both she and mum taught me - but only learnt to read a pattern about 5/6 years ago). Sadly she died of Cervical Cancer nearly 18 months ago and I really miss her. She was a natural born teacher.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best friend, who is also my daughter (and also is named Lisa), and my grand daughter are the only ones, I have met quite a few on Crochetville, and some of us email regularly, but I am mostly alone in this. One good friend who lives in the next town crochets, but cannot read patterns, and only does the basic stitches. She is much more proficient in Knitting. When I lived in NY, alot of my good buddies crocheted and sewed.

• 4 months later...

and I'm seen as a bit of a freak - why am I (a woman under 70) crocheting????

Actually, I crochet baby blankets for a local charity and when I initially asked the organizer if she wanted them, she said "Oh, that would be fantastic! We used to have a couple of ladies who crocheted stuff for us but ... they died!" :(

I am all alone crocheting. I have a friend that crochets but I do not see her often, and she just does simple things because she does not read patterns well, although I have made several attempts to teach her. My grandmother crocheted and of her 3 daughters and 5 granddaughters, I am the only one who took up the hobby. Many people who know that I crochet often tease me and call me grandma or make odd remarks about you have to be old to crochet and I am only 36 :eek. Oh well, doesn't bother me, I enjoy crocheting and I don't consider it to be a hobby just for older people. I look at hobbies like this: "If you enjoy it and it brings you happiness, pleasure and relaxation, then GO FOR IT!!!!!!"

MissCrochet - You don't say how far "under 70" you are - I am, but not by much :lol

A couple of years ago I joined a knit/crochet group at the Sr. Center and thoroughly enjoy it :hook We meet once a week and I've become good friends with a few of the women :hug and look forward to every Wednesday AM :manyheart. Some do donations/charity of all kinds, some for GKs, etc.

Is there a Project Linus in your area? How about checking for groups at a LYS?

Good luck out there!

:(Unfortunately I don't have any friends that crochet:thinkI tried to teach my children growing up but only one daughter tried anything & then seemed to lose interest. Now trying with grandchildren (but not much success):cry

I also work at a Michaels I'm in Kansas City. I really enjoy helping people in the yarn department and sharing ideas. I have friends that are very talanted they paint and draw and knit. I'm the only one that crochets. One of our common bonds is we all love a good deal and have large collections of yarn.

Hello Codymikki

MissCrochet - You don't say how far "under 70" you are - I am, but not by much :lol

Is there a Project Linus in your area? How about checking for groups at a LYS?

Good luck out there!

I'm actually only 32 but I was taught to crochet when I was about seven or eight (?) by my great-aunt, who was well into her eighties at the time... so I've got another 50 years of crocheting ahead of me, by my reckoning. :clap

I live in Germany so I don't actually know what a Project Linus is or a LYS (I'm not American, you see.) I've checked out the craft/wool shops in our area but there doesn't seem to be the tradition of "communal stitching" that there is in the USA i.e. in the form of knitting/crocheting groups - not in my town, anyway. And for many Germans crocheting is synonymous with dishcloths - but I had actually never seen a crocheted dishcloth before I moved here.

Anyway - I keep myself busy, heh heh. At my age a lot of friends and colleagues are starting to have kids, so it's funny to see their reaction when they unwrap the present: "You MADE this? You actually MADE this yourself?" :lol

My friend crochets and her cousins knit and crochet so we try to get together on Tuesday nights (if we don't have a blizzard) for a "Stitch and Talk!" My niece also crochets so it is fun to have a free night at home with her also to crochet with! Guess I am lucky to have so many that share my hobby!:yarn

LYS is local yarn shop or store and Project Linus is a charity for crocheting things for children I believe mostly blankets. I think it's great that you crochet gifts for your friends children too.

I guess I am lucky, in the fact that of the 3 IRL "yarning" groups (Stitch N' Bitch, etc.) I belong to most of the folks both knit and crochet. Although most prefer knitting, I am the most bicraftual. Ya never know what I'll pull out of my project bag.

I learned when I was 28 from a girlfriend who was only 23 when she started. I go to AA meetings and so does she and she saw a girl crocheting and went out an got I Taught Myself to Crochet. When I saw her doing it I went and got the book too. Now we crochet in meetings together and have taught a few other young women. She called me freaking out one day cuz she couldn't make sense of adding fringe. I was able to walk her though it over the phone. Its times like those that are so fun! I'd love it if we got together more often, but mostly we just show each other our work when we run into each other at a meeting.

I wish I had a friends that Crochet.

Susan

Me too but unfortunately I don't, except for one who I don't see often. That is why I am glad I found crochetville. At least I can come here and talk about it a little bit with all of you who share my interest. :cheer:clap:hug:manyheart:yay

For years I felt all alone crocheting and then the internet happened! I was so surprised to discover patterns and books and supplies and .... friends! Then I stumbled upon CGOA and joined and went to a national convention.

My husband totally does not understand it.

No, my SIL used to crochet with me, but she divorced my brother and I never saw her again. :angry So, for the past 25 years I have not had anyone to crochet with. But along came the internet.....and now I have so many friends to crochet with on Crochetville!!! :ty You really have brought my crocheting to new levels and all of the caring and sharing on this site is just unbelieveable!!!!! I can't wait to tune in every day and be with all of you!!! :yay:hook

I have one friend who crochets a lot of afghans and even creates her own graphs ....... very talented. When I go to the county fair, I wonder about all the crocheters who display their items. Crochetville is my only contact with others who share my hobby.

Archived