Christmas Gifts 2006- Along

ChayaSar

Ok.. since my last post here is what has been achieved so far....the biggie was figuring out what to do for dh... anyhow.. some of the things were near completion anyhow...

My Gramms: finished her TLC wrap and a handle holder, scrubbie and dishcloth

SIL: 2 dishcloths, triangle & one looking like a dress, scubbie and handle holder

SIL2: same

Aunt: same except I made a fabric tissue holder for her too

MOM: same

ds#3 finished cross stitching the national Guard emblem ( neede to have it framed), 2 cat toys,dishcloths, potholders (2), scubbie, handleholder...

ds#1 made a jar of pear butter

dh made pear butter for his first day of Christmas...

Onward!

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay I've got 2 sets of coasters done, I decided to do 8 for each family instead of 6, since I have enough cotton yarn and they went fairly fast.(I'm trying to finish off yarn as I go; to minimize my growing stash) I also picked up 4 pairs of flip flops (2 black & 2 white) at Michael's for 19 cents a pair. I'm going embellish them with some novelty yarn from my stash for my daughters. We wear flip flops all year, here in California, so they aren't as impractical a Chistmas gift as they sound. I'm only bummed they didn't have any adult sizes left. I may check around so I can make a pair for my SIL and myself, too.

Actually flilpflops could be given with those flip flop socks for winter areas... maybe with some pj's... I like them in the summer instead of slippers if I have to or want to wear anything instead of hot crocheted slippers. But wow 19 cents! I picked up some black ones for me that barely fit for 99 cents there a few months ago... Those will be great.

Working on Doily 3 and 4 (4 here at work at lunch when I'm not too tired or busy) and my afghan which seems to be taking forever as I'm use to doing quick ones with 2 strands and/or big hooks.

I didn't see this post when I started made the Doily CAL. I think I will join this one since I am not getting many bites.

I want to make 2 doilies (maybe 4)

I will make 15 more bookmarks one for everyone on my to do list I''' work on some of these first because they are fast so if I can't get to the "bigger projects" everyone gets something from me.

Funky jewelry for one of my nieces

washcloths mostly for the girls on my list.

gameboy holders for the kids

a bag for my mom

Finish freeform doll blanket for my dd and she wants some things for her dolls. I was thinking doll ponchos, a dress and a skirt. She also wants a purse.

water bottle holder for both of my kids.

Ds wants a dragon stuffed animal and dd wants a unicorn.

Ideally I'd like to make several 20 or more? snowflakes to put on holiday cards to send to friends and family.

I'm sure I have forgotten some things but I hope not.

OK, I'm a slow starter I DO NOT have any lists yet, only random ideas! I need to buckle down and start getting more organized. :eek

Thank you to jadyn05 for posting the pretty snowflake pattern, I've made 20 so far, out of #5 aunt lydias fashion thread, 7 white/pearl, 7 gold/gold, 4 white, 2 white/gold. I want to do 12 of each, also have natural/pearl, & white/silver that I haven't got to yet. These are for my tree, I want to make more for gift toppers, they are so easy and work up unbelieveably fast.:yay I also made some coasters from a modified version of the snowflake. Too cute;) These are GREAT take-alongs I do them at cheerleading practices and baton lessons.

I made a mini stocking and love it will be making many more of those as well. I found a baby girl & baby boy's first Christmas stockings will be making those. I was thinking of making my mom a table topper or runner for her new kitchen which should be finished in Oct. Not sure though what pattern yet. :think

And thats where I get kinda stuck not sure what else to do BUT I'm still looking and I do have a little bit more time.

I love seeing everyone's progress.

Right now I'm still working on a baby afgan for my soon to arrive nephew. And working on a scarf for my brother.

I haven't even started working on Christmas stuff really yet, not that it has stopped me from bookmarking pattern after pattern. I also bought the Happy Hooker book and my list just keeps getting longer. lol

I just finished my purple ripple afghan for my daughter-in-law. I will post a picture tomorrow. I really love how it turned out. It has 4 shades of purple (her favorite color) and it is so soft and comfy. I want to keep it for myself. 2 completely finished, 3 in progress, and 5 more after that.

Wooo hoo! I'm doing a CAL! :) This is my first, but it's important. I live 750 miles or so away from my family, and my hubby can only get off work during Thanksgiving, so we're doing Christmas at Thanksgiving. No pressure right?? That only cuts my crochet time by a month. Add to that my idea this year was to make things simple, and lets all just make the presents. My family is pretty crafty, so this should be interesting. Anyone see that Friends episode where Monica and Chandler make Valentine's Day presents for eachother, but forget about it? Everytime I think about making the presents I think of it! Anyway... My presents are basically that all the women will get purses/totes (maybe lined, even though I'm just learning how to sew...) and the men? I was reading someone on crochetville is doing the 12 days of Christmas for their hubby. I might do something like that too. :) Especially since we won't be "home" for Christmas, it's sort of like extending it, and everything. Anyway, but there aren't that many men in my family, so it's basically just my dad and my FIL. Hummm... I might "let" my husband figure out the gifts for the men, and I'll figure out the women. Not even, but fair lol. It's so hard to figure out things for men! I mean, on my bags we're going to say they're from both of us, because my husband would have had to do something to help like, either, pay for it (I'm a stay at home mom), or watch son while I work on it lol. :) Anyway, enough rambling, need to go crochet! :)

Victoria

Vickietoria, I know what you mean about hard to make crochet things for guys. I was thinking of crocheting dh a tie. I wonder if he would like it though? :think I know he'd wear it at least once :lol but he's not really the tie type of guy. But I'd love to see him wear a tie hehe so maybe it's a better idea than I thought? :D Maybe a hat too.

My list gets longer all the time... I have a pattern picked out for a bathrobe for my dh. My family thinks it's a dumb idea to try a bathrobe but I think it will work out ok. the pattern is here

http://web.archive.org/web/20011119094654/www.cei.net/~vchisam/groovy/10-11k.html

I'm going to drop the granny squares and just continue the body pattern up to the shoulders. I know its a womens jacket but I think it looks like a robe myself...lol.

I have a shawl almost finished for my mom, I have an afghan started for one brother. I have 5 daughters (3 are mine 1 was given up for adoption 19+ years ago and she has a younger sister) and a son. I'm thinking Christmas stockings for everyone. I've never made those but they don't seem like they would take too long.

My grandmother has moved back here from Kentucky so I will have to make her something too. I just don't know what. lol.

:hook I just found a pattern on the net thats perfect for my SIL to be, she's a HUGE Green Bay Packers fan, drives a green truck all done with GB stuff and a room in her apt dedicated to them.:yes I found a GB coasters, and pillow, also football coasters. I'm making the footballs out of thread for a mini Christmas tree and will make a mini tree skirt with GB on it. The football will have ribbon in their colors on it. While I'm at it I'll make many extras for the other football fans with their favorite teams colors of ribbon. Then I'll do the football as a coaster and the other pattern that has a G on it. The lights on the mini tree will have to be changed to Green, White, & Yellow. So what do ya'll think??

I really didn't make much gift progress with the wedding this past week, but I did hide in my craft room last night after everyone left and made my mom a knitting needle case. I am almost done with ds#1's project. I transfered a drawing he had done in highschool to material and I am embroiderying it. I bought the sweetest little bird pattern last night that will become a partridge, 2 turtle doves and thre french hens this week if all goes as planned. This is the week of quick projects, ds#1's cats toys, a couple of bookmarks,a couple of Kristens mice....back to work on my yo-yo afghan I have neglected....

I am totally thrilled with all the different items that people of found to make for their loved ones. Everyone is so creative.

Personally I am still struggling with the Navajo Afghan. The pattern is not difficult, it is just composed entirely of the single crochet stitch. So it takes a while to make any really progress. Plus I had to make my MIL a few items for her B-Day. It is on the 1st of Sept. So many things to make and so little time.

OKay! Count me in! I have a list of items I NEED to get done. Having a CAL will keep me moving in a forward direction!

afghan for king size bed (kill me now)

3 all american granny square afghan (lion brand site)

bookmarks tunisian crochet (*my pal* noreen crone-findlay's site http://www.hankeringforyarn.com/)

and I have about 5 more people I need to come up with girt ideas for!

Personally I am still struggling with the Navajo Afghan. The pattern is not difficult, it is just composed entirely of the single crochet stitch. So it takes a while to make any really progress.

Who are you making this for?

I made the Navajo Afghan years ago. Reading your message reminded me about those sc's :( Actually I started it for someone I was dating at the time and decided to keep it. Glad I did! My daughter loves it and so do I !

Hang in there- It is a beautiful afghan.

I'm still working on coasters, I'm varying the pattern so it's not quite so tedious. I've also started working on a stuffed Yoda for my son. The face is giving me a hard time, hopefully the body will be easier.

th_IMG_2512.jpg

Yoda is going to be so cute!

I did a single crochet afghan for a Christmas gift 2 years ago... took forever!

I'm still going slowly on my projects. Been dabbling in beaded jewelry (shh... not crocheted:eek... that's what I bought the beads for actually and it didn't work out, so I used stretchy wire to make a bracelet with some additional beads)... But will get back into my crocheting this weekend as that's my frist love.

Debbi

I'm jumping in kinda late!:P I've just started making dishcloths for my relatives, only need about 30 more:blush

I've got to finish my son's afghan, started back in the spring:blush, make an afghan for my mom, a felted purse for my sis-in-law, and golf club covers for my brother. Why oh why do I wait until the last minute????:think

Well, i am a bad Cal starter, lol, i have made no progress on any projects recently, at least not christmas ones. I've been real overwhelmed with life happenings, and my crocheting has taken a serious hit. Anyway, am working on some patterns that i'm testing this weekend, that will become a christmas present for someone, well a few people, and a thing for the ds of my known pal in the sp swap. I need to read here more and stay motivated.

OK, better late than never - I'm in. Might as well take the plunge, and get the fingers flying!

I have some gifts to make:

4 afghans(3 crochet, 1 knit)

4 scarf and hat sets(definitely the scarves/we'll see about the hats)

2 cross stitch projects(the most time consuming for me)

1 sweater/jacket(that's knitted/ about half way through)

a couple of shrugs

a shawl or 2

Fortunately, some of these are already WIPs. I'd much rather do this than housework! I'm dedicating at least 2 hrs a night to completing the list. The last thing I want to do is go to the stores to buy gifts in December- I hate the crowds, and the lint in my wallet won't get me very far! This is so much more fun and creative.

Ellen

My MIL makes Navajo style afghans that are real treasures. I like the idea of crocheted toss pillows for gifts.

I'll spend some time thinking about Christmas gifts. There are so many wonderful things we can make!

Archived