Christmas Gifts 2006- Along

ChayaSar

Lorraine, I'm glad my simple pattern made sense. I'm almost finished with mine. I am making it about 76" long (my son is 6"3"!), so I have about 10 more inches to go and then I need to put a boarder around it. I will post a picture when it's completed. I can see why you would want a non-complicated pattern to work on. I think this type is relaxing to do.

Like Krystal, I can't work on just one project at a time. I still have my snowflake afghan to complete and I have a beautiful light peach, light beige, and off white afghan going. That one will take forever!!! (1 hr. per inch!). It is for my daugher and might take until Christmas to finish. I also bought yarn (black & grey) for my other son. I am looking for the right pattern. And I bought 3 shades of purple for his wife (looking for the right pattern).

If I have leftover yarn for each, I may make them all new slippers. They are complaining the ones I made the year before last are worn out and they want new.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's never too early to start thinking of making Christmas presents; I already feel like I'm way too far behind (haven't even started yet!) I want to get started cause there's lots of people I have to do for!:eek

Here are some things I've been working on, I need to make more of the tissue covers, and I haven't decided if I like this snowflake or not.. so please give honest feed back.... I want to make snowflakes for my windows, these are easy, but i'm not sure I think they are all that pretty... and the stocking, I need to make 2 more, changing the order of the colors, so that each of my 3 daughters has 1... this one is for Mackenzie, who is holding it up for me :D

th_DSC00595.jpg Pattern

th_DSC00594.jpg need honest opinions of this snowflake... don't want my windows to be unattractive... pattern was on-line, can't find link now tho

th_DSC00592.jpg this is all granny squares ( 7 of them), the frilly border on the top I did in 2 rnds around the opening, rnd 1: (sc, ch3) in ea st around and rnd 2: 5dc in ch3 sp, ch1... all the way around. No pattern for this one, just figured it out, by looking at the one my great-grandmother made me when i was a baby.

Question for the stocking.... should I add a pom-pom at the toe, and the top of the foot? or leave it as it is... or only a pom-pom at the toe??

Ady,

Count me in! :yes This is my first CAL, and what a perfect idea. I've got 2 winter coat scarves finished except for the fringe (which I don't enjoy doing), and 3 shawls in progress. I can't seem to stay on one project long enough to finish it before I start something else. Guess I just want to do everything. Maybe being in this CAL will help me stay on track and finish up a few gifts so they can go into my "ready to be wrapped" box. :gift

This is wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion! Christmas will be here sooner than we may think!

BP

Well, now that my tendonitis is a tad better, I've started work on my Christmas afghan again. I got my shipment in from Joann.com of the yarn I need to complete the whole thing. I'm trying to sew together the squares as I go along, which is TEDIOUS, to say the least. However, I took a cue from my knitting books and am sewing them together using the mattress stitch instead of whip-stitching. The result is so good that one can't really tell which is the wrong side and which is the right. It takes AGES, though...

I'm in on this. I have sooooo much to do.

My DH actually asked me to crochet a bathrobe. Anybody have a good pattern??? Shawls for my mom and SIL, 4 kids... 2 brothers... better get off the blasted puter and onto the hooks eh?:think

Jadyn05, I love the stocking that you made! What a great ideal to change the colors for each of your daughters. As for the snowflake it looks really nice, but doesn't have that snowflake look, but more like a doliey. It should be more open in between the stiches. IMHO. They would make very nice holiday costers!

I finished the bag, except for putting on the handles, along with the blanket and pillow for Tootsie Toodler. I just ordered the doll today so that I can get started on the clothes. I'll try to get photos up later today.

BTW, Jadyn05, I wouldn't add the pom pom to the foot, you could add a bell there.

Ada,

I'd love to join.....I already began an afghan (or if I run out of yarn, a lap blanket ;) ) and would like to crochet a few more gifts so this group would give me the push I need. I'll look forward to hearing everyones' progress and seeing some pictures. :cheer

Hazle... ty so much for yho, i never even thought about using them as coasters, but i think you're right, it would be a nice coaster, I've found some other snowflake patterns, and I'm working on one in particular called The Pretty Snowflake http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/03ornaments/prettysnowflake.shtml there is the pattern if the link worked. Just have to see how easy it is to work up, i might be scratching the snowflake idea for this year... or just put it off till last, since I'm sure of most of my other projects...

and sry taking so long for the Christmas houses pics, have to get my scared silly butt into the basement and get one out :lol

Jadyn05, I like that snowflake you posted. It look easy, good luck and I can't wait to see this one.

Hazle,

What do you think of that Tootsie Toddler set? Is it easy to make, etc?

Is Tootsie Toddler the sole dolly that will fit the clothes, or do you know if another doll may fit just as well?

It was really easy to make the bag, blanket and pillow. I haven't started on any of the clothes yet. She does give changes for different doll sizes up to 13". I just went ahead an ordered the doll shown because she was too cute, but you could always check the stores for different dolls to fit.

I've got the photos up now.

The bag with some slight changes.

morgansgift2na3.th.jpg

And opened

morgansgift1ra2.th.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited to add thumbnails!

Okay, I'm in!!

I have been thinking about Christmas gifts for a week or so now and being in a CAL will (hopefully) keep me motivated!

Here's what I know so far -- no one is getting anything done in thread! (it really does a number on my hands) -- except Mom

Mom is getting doily I started for her *last* year! - my case in point

I'm on round 17 of 26. size 20 red thread.

MIL is getting a popcorn square afghan - I've got one square done, another one started. My goal is 20.

And I'm not sure of the rest? My best friend is in school again now, so maybe I'll make her a granny tote? Everyone got scarves last year --or reindeer (clothespin) ornaments and I was stressed out, WAY TOO stressed out because I started everything after Thanksgiving. I was REALLY involved in my stepdaughter's band/color guard program last year and Christmas just sort of snuck up on me. She graduated this past spring....so I have WAY more time to crochet now! And way less stress in my life!

I started another doily (I need at least 4 for Christmas and have 1 done) and it's smaller then I thought. But at least it's started and I have an aunt with a bunch of my doilies out (saw them last week when I visited her) and she loves them for her knick knacks so it may work anyway. Then I crocheted a bunch of squares for my quilt afghan, I'm sewing some but catching up to the round of colors that I'm crocheting so I need to crochet more and sew less...

Debbi

OK, so the link to the snowflake that I posted here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=437098&postcount=59 the snowflake is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EASY!!!!!!!!! It worked up in like 10min, maybe 15, so now I will definitely be making many many more for this year, I'd like to put one in my christmas cards, so I need 19 more for that, and I want at least 4 for the windows at the top of my front door, so I need to make 23 more, but I know I can do it!! Plus, it's giving me practice working with thread, which is very much needed, since I'm making bookmarks for a neice, and doilies for 2 other people, so these "no pressure" snowflakes should help me to develop some consistency with thread!

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know, if you're thinking snowflake, and need easy, then this snowflake is quite possibly perfect for you!

I thought I would start on my daughter skirt earlier today... haha! Yeah, right. I can't seem to get the waist size right. I have tried 5 different stitches to make it look pretty and still be close weaved. Finally I decided to try something different... it is not working either.

Her measurements are 23" in the waist and 28" in the hips. Yes, she is a hippy little girl (7 yrs old).

Well, The waist is about 5 inches too big, because she already has hips I need to add about 6" within the first 8 rows (exsc) and it is not working! So I am putting that down and starting on something else... otherwise I will ruin the yarn for her skirt if I frog it too many more times.

th_21dabf38.jpg

[No, I did not make the table cloth.]

I started on a ripple afghan for my DIL in 4 shades of purple (her favorite!). It is going ok. I think it is going to take a while though. I finished my afghan for my oldest son, but I haven't gotten around to taking a photo.

It looks like everyone else is working steadily. I love the photos posted so far.

OK I finished a pair of socks for my first CAL...decided to give them to my mom for Christmas. Have a lot of neices and nephews so I think I am going to make them all snowflakes. The rest will come as I go. Last year was scarves, still thinking about making all the SIL socks or something.

But as for the CAL for Christmas I am in. :manyheart

Anna

WIP baby blankie and LOTS of snowflakes

I am really getting into the thick of Xmas gifts now...

I have my oldest daughter's started-10 squares out of 24 for her Gerber Daisy Afghan.

I just designed my own pattern for my youngest daughter's afghan, it's a flower too. (Both of these can be seen in the Flower CAL, click on my sig)

I started my sons' afghans by starting a self-designed square with a ships' wheel in it.

I also started a pattern called "Snow Crystals" from a Leisure Arts Year of Afghans book (book 5?) today, too. That one works up REALLY fast.

I think I'm going to frog this one I started for my mom...not sure yet. It's a patchwork butterfly. Lots of ends to weave in, not sure I like that. Might just find a pretty pattern small square and work that with a pretty border.

I ran out of yarn for a wrap I was doing for my Grams and I ahve been searching in our area for 2 months... today I walked into AC Moore and found it ON SALE:clap (yeah me:cheer )...so the rest of the week I'll work on that and some minature stockings with champagne fun fur around the top and some of Bev's 15 minute snowflakes... I also have a huge cross stich project going for my son that will turn into a pillow and I need to stitch up hook cases for my mom and MIL....all projects this week....

I just LOVE seeing what everyone has in the works... even if no pics are up yet, to get a pic in my mind about all the great things coming... it's going to be a GREAT Christmas, and I'm so glad to be sharing with everyone the things that are in the works!

Well am I mentioned before I put away my attempt at making a skirt for my daughter. I have now moved on to making her purse I am using "Little Dashing Drawstring" pattern from American School of Needlework Booklet # 1251. The pattern calls for WW Cotton yarn, but I decided that I would make it from WW Acrylic TLC Heathers in Blue Moon. I am going to line the bag if it turns out looking nice. I will most likely make another one if I like the pattern. The next one will be cotton so that it doesn't stretch like the acrylic one is going too. Anyway that is what I have moved on too.:hook

Vickie I was thinking about the skirt, can you add an elastic to the waist to make it fit better? Or a tie? Or belt loops? But maybe not. I know she'll love the purse though.

sptsbear, love the stocking. I did a bunch one year for my family. I used 3D paint to paint names on the top to make it easier and it was for family so it was okay...

I almost finished another doily (small one with 13 rounds) and may be able to finish it today or tomorrow.

Debbi

I almost finished another doily (small one with 13 rounds) and may be able to finish it today or tomorrow.

Debbi

You threadie girls amaze me!

Archived