Join the Crochet Olympics

For my training I knocked out a shrug from the Lion Brand Vintage Pattern for Today book...Am wearing it as a I type. I really like it. I think my yarn has arrived at the APO, but DH wasn't able to pick it up yesterday (and they are closed today) so Monday, hopefully, I'll have my yarn for the event.

Other training for this is simply trying to clear up as many WIP's as I can so I can participant in the Olympics with no guilt...finished 3 projects today...woo hoo...

I'm so excited...

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My training involves finishing a charity afghan on Thursday and starting a baby blanket for my coworker and his wife last night. But Anna has okayed my request to include dyeing yarn as prep work, so I'm going to start that today. I'm making my sister one of Marlo's beautiful felted totes, and I'm dyeing wool a deep purple, her favorite color. And doing some finger exercises: one, two, one, two, stretch, curl, stretch, curl! :lol

Patty

The website looks good. The type is easy to read. It's not easy to get background graphics to do what they need to do lol (visible but not overpowering the page content) ...so mamahooks & jingles, you're doing a wonderful job working on it. I like how the tables fade out the background a little.

MamaHooks...I could help with the banner if you want some help. I use PhotoImpact 6 & it has a pretty good banner utility. I could send you a few sample jpg & you could play with them to your liking or use the way it is...just an offer if you want some help with it.

My training has been making a swatch. I think I need to adjust hook size so I'm swatching again today. I also changed the color of my project to papaya SS (an apricot color) instead of blue. WM has 12 oz skeins of SS for 3.77! So my bolero will cost less than $10 lol!

That's not a bad price at all! I got 25 balls of crochet cotton for 75% off a couple of weeks back, so now I've got a mass of the stuff ready to ease my creative spark that happens to appear very much on the spur of the moment :lol

Go Team Doily (and everyone else of course :blush ). Here's to an easy-to-read pattern, the perfect yarn/thread and hook and beautiful finished projects come the closing ceremonies :cheer

i was looking over the pattern for the shrug i'm going to attempt. it's in the patterns section under fluffy pink shrug schematics. i saw that it was made by mrs. who. is this the same pattern i've seen that everybody is planning to make, called the mrs. who shrug? if so, i'm making the same one as a few others. that would be neat.:cheer

Ok guys this is what I have decided to make! I have never made a sweater for myself and i have been thinking lately that I needed to buy one! so now I won't have too:lol

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-flatteringJacket.html

So now I am off to spend my Rent money on yarn so I will be ready to go:rofl:rofl

do I need to send this somehwere else also?

:jumpyayVera was sweet enough to visit my blog and leave a message, thank you. She also asked if I could come up with a button for both events, so I took a stab at it. I was going to make 2 sub buttons to go with it, but you can just take the existing buttons for the events to use.

:yay I finally decided what to do for my "event" for the Crochet Olympics. I am going to make that dreaded baby ghan I've had commitment issues with. I hope to get to Hobby Lobby before the 10th to get the yarn to do it, if not I might have a late start (not unusual for me.)

Sorry, back to subject... grab the button from this url:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/crisak/do_2006.jpg

do_2006.jpg

or here if it shows up!:think

:cheer Good luck to each of you,:cheer

Cris~

ps... thank you Goldi for the help with the Seraphina pattern. It all makes sense to me now, and you can bet I'll crank out a half dozen before Christmas (or birthdays...)

Ok All - I've got an email set up for you to send your sign ups to. Send your Name (or Nick if you prefer), a link to your blog (if you have one/want to), and the project you will work on to crochetolympics@jinglelady.us

I just sent you a mail as I 'd like to take part too.

:yay I finally decided what to do for my "event" for the Crochet Olympics. I am going to make that dreaded baby ghan I've had commitment issues with. I hope to get to Hobby Lobby before the 10th to get the yarn to do it, if not I might have a late start (not unusual for me.)

Just out of curiosity (since I'm planning to do a baby 'ghan too) what pattern is it that you're having issues with?

:jumpyayVera was sweet enough to visit my blog and leave a message, thank you. She also asked if I could come up with a button for both events, so I took a stab at it. I was going to make 2 sub buttons to go with it, but you can just take the existing buttons for the events to use...

do_2006.jpg

:cheer Good luck to each of you,:cheer

Cris, the button is fabulous.:manyheart Thanks so much for doing this for us "Dualetes":hook :knit .

i was looking over the pattern for the shrug i'm going to attempt. it's in the patterns section under fluffy pink shrug schematics. i saw that it was made by mrs. who. is this the same pattern i've seen that everybody is planning to make, called the mrs. who shrug? if so, i'm making the same one as a few others. that would be neat.:cheer

Yep! That's the one! It's fun doing the same project, especially to see everyones interpretations of it!

Alison :hook

Ok guys this is what I have decided to make! I have never made a sweater for myself and i have been thinking lately that I needed to buy one! so now I won't have too:lol

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-flatteringJacket.html

So now I am off to spend my Rent money on yarn so I will be ready to go:rofl:rofl

do I need to send this somehwere else also?

You need to send an email to jingles...

crochetolympics@jinglelady.us

With your name and nick name and what you're gonna work on...good luck...

Just out of curiosity (since I'm planning to do a baby 'ghan too) what pattern is it that you're having issues with?

I'm going to make Terry Kimbrough's "Exquisite" from her book Heirloom Afghans for Baby. I am making it for my nephew who is due this month, but am having commitment issues with it. I've frogged my 3rd attempt and am hoping to get the yarn to make it before the Crochet Olympics start. There's a picture of the one I am doing on my blog.

Have a happy day,

Cris~

Cris - Cool Button for the dual olympiadian. :)

All - when you update your project or figure out what you're making (if you were a tbd), just send me an email to crochetolympics@jinglelady.us .

Also - I've gotten about 15 more signups in the last day or so. I'm off to a bday party for my SSTB (stepson to be), so I'll add them to the site this evening.

Keep training & doing those exercises! I worked on a hoody for my niece last night as training. I want to try and finish that up this week so I can concentrate on my top for the Olympics. I've decided on one of my German patterns - I'll try posting a photo of it to my crochet blog this evening too.

My finger muscles are twitching they are so eager to start the Olympics!

I'm sending off my e-mail to Jingles to tell her I am making a small afghan for my niece for her first home.

Good luck to one and all!

I've just watched the Animal Winter Olympics on BBC1! It was such fun, and great computer graphics! All the events had a human, mammal, reptile, bird and fish entrant. :wgrin Just the thing for family viewing until the reindeer was tested for drugs...he'd eaten magic mushrooms on the cross country!:heehee

Alison :hook

Chris I love your buttons! They are so nice.

I have a guage question. The bolero I'm doing calls for a F hook with chenille yarn but since I'm using Caron SS, to get guage I had to go all the way up to an I hook! Has anyone ever had to go that far before for guage? I tried using double strand to get a lower hook size but the material was thick & kind of tough feeling...I didn't like it at all. Do you think it's ok to use an I hook with one strand? I'm using this pattern for the LA Blue Shrug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8256680067&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

do_2006.jpg

Creations of Cris - I love the Dual Olympiad button it is awesome :D. If I could knit more than just casting on (yes I really do consider that knitting :knit) I would be a dual Olympiad. I have seen so many patterns that are for knitting that I would love to try :drool. Maybe in a few years I will learn the devilish :devil art of Knitting :laughroll.

But for now I will do the heavenly :angel art of Crochet... :rofl

MamaHooks

We interrupt this regularly scheduled programming to bring you news of a potential upset in the Crochet Olympics. Today Patty, the Desert Crocheter, suffered the twin setbacks of realizing she didn't have enough Kool Aid to dye her yarn, followed closely by a dyeing disaster. The plastic wrap split and dye was spilt all over the sink. Patty's quick thinking saved much of the dye, but in the process, her yarn may not have received all the dye it needed in order to be the proper color for her felted tote project. In addition, her hands were immersed in the bath and are now a vibrant grape color.

Does this incident foretell doom for this member of Team Other? Stay tuned!

(P.S. I'm not sure I like the moniker Team Other. Team Miscellaneous would be just as bad, though. Team Eccentric? Team Hodge Podge?)

I hit my LYS for their Superbowl Yarn Sale (40% off). I dropped my dh & kids off at the fastfood/play place for lunch. I got to the store 10 minutes before the doors opened and found 40 people in front of me waiting to get in. After agreeing to the rules (treat yarn & staff with respect at all times!) we were given a shopping bag and allowed to enter. In search of line for my Drops Design sweater, I went straight for the Brown SHeep Cotton FLeece (bottom 2 bins under the sock yarn). I knelt on the floor and dug through the bins... what color could I find with 7 same-dye lot skeins... New Age teal 5 of one dye lot and 1 of another... a royal blue.... Victorian Pink.... I finally decided on 'Banana' a pale yellow. This whole time sock yarn has been falling on my head, so I raise my attention a bit higher and come out with 3 skeins of Swizzle sock yarn, 2 skeins of light purple (special request from my dd), 4 skeins of light gray, a lone cool multi (maroon, grey, black, gold) and another lone charcoal gray to mix with it. I worked my way around the store to the Cascade 220 and respectfully dug through the bins to find 8 skeins of a dark teal for a sweater for dh. Finally at the checkout I grabbed Addi turbo B and C hooks and made it out the door in just over an hour.

Here's the Yarn Loot. Now I can play with a gauge swatch and I want to finish my socks from my Yahoo CAL sock-a-long....

If I could knit more than just casting on (yes I really do consider that knitting :knit) I would be a dual Olympiad. I have seen so many patterns that are for knitting that I would love to try :drool. Maybe in a few years I will learn the devilish :devil art of Knitting :laughroll.

MamaHooks

I heard that!!! I finally learned to cast on (I knit-on, I dont get the long tail cast on to save my life, or any of the others for that matter!) and knit and purl- so I can stockinette, but be darned if I can increase, etc. I wanted to join it too, maybe next time?

Glad you liked the button!

Cris~

ps.. I meant to give you a holler anyways- aren't you making the HK backpack? If it is you, when you make it, would you pretty please take down the round counts for me? Especially the HK face. I've made 3 of the bags, none are the same, but cannot get the face to look right for love nor money! LOL

Archived