Join the Crochet Olympics

jingles, I think I've missed something. :blush What are the teams, please?

Teams are listed on the website-- Crochet Olympics

Team Wearables

Team Afghan-Squares

Team Doilies

Team Eclectic

Are we wearing team outfits at the Opening Ceremonies? Crocheted slippers?

I'll be wearing something crocheted...but what I want to do is save one of the crochet olympics buttons and print out on a transfer sheet at about 8 x 10 and iron it onto a teeshirt...

Neat idea eurolyons! I will have to see if I have any transfer paper. If not --maybe print out, laminate & make a button/pin to wear lol!

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teams are listed on the website-- Crochet Olympics

Team Wearables

Team Afghan-Squares

Team Doilies

Team Eclectic

Neat idea eurolyons! I will have to see if I have any transfer paper. If not --maybe print out, laminate & make a button/pin to wear lol!

Great, great idea! I love it...I was also thinking of printing out the button 8 x 10 on fabric and making a tote bag for the project...I did a similar thing with a picture and made a tote bag for a friend for Christmas...she loved it so much she's using it every day...she said even her husband was impressed...

I'm just popping in to say UGHHH why does Joann.com take so long to deliver?!? I'm waiting for the rainbow boucle I ordered for the Seraphina... It should be here soon, I hope I'm home to get it (supposed to rain and Mr Brown wont leave it on the porch if its raining.)

Thanks for the encouragment on Levi's ghan. I have 24" of the 30.5" of the body done- I worked almost all day yesterday and through the night. I went to bed around 4a and started back up around 9:30. Tomorrow's the big day- will she be induced or not? (I am hoping not) LOL Nothing like training for the Olympics by joining a marathon! hehehe

I cant wait til Friday!!! Good luck to all of you.

Cris~

When did you put your order in Cris? I'm always shocked how quickly I get my orders from Joann...they send to Germany where I am through my APO and it's here like in 5 days...just blows me away everytime...

Neat idea to make gear for yourself! I hadn't thought of having a "uniform". I'll have to wear a crocheted item on Friday....hmmm, the knitting site with ergonomic tips suggested wearing wrist warmers to keep your wrists warm (duh, that sounded stupid), so those will do double duty for me. ;)

On a different note: I had an email from a concerned crocheter (not the IOC) this morning suggesting that the use of the Olympic rings is a possible IOC trademark violation and I should use caution in using it. It's an issue I hadn't considered. I did a quick search before blowing out the door for work this morning and didn't find anything conclusive saying it can't be used. A website (that looked like an olympic fan site) had some legalese that I quickly read through and understood to mean that as long as the symbol isn't being used to make money or try to deceive an unsuspecting user into thinking we're promoting the Olympics (ha!), it should be okay. Anybody out there have some other information? I'm really not too worried about it, but I just want to cover all the bases, so to speak.

I think you're right on the money part of the use of Olympic rings Anna...I don't think it will be a problem. I think the worst that could happen is that you could get a warning to take the rings out of the buttons or website and only if you don't would you really have a problem...

I'm in! I'm finishing a UFO baby blanket that I started last summer! I keep putting it off, and this will be a great reason to get down and finish it. It's really exciting. I can't wait for the Crochet Olympcs to begin! (we start when the torch is lit, right?) Good luck all!

Go Team Afghan!

Oh geez, I am so down to the wire with this... I've picked my project [the Ilene sweater from Cool Crochet] and I've chosen my color... Now, my problem is getting the yarn!! That's right; I don't have my yarn yet!!

The IRS site says that my tax refund is due back tomorrow - think I can shop, wind, and swatch all in one day?? What if it doesn't get deposited on time? I'm starting to stress...

that is the question... Do you generally wind center pull skeins (like Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece) or only if you've got a non-center pull hank? Is there a benefit to winding?

Tonight I start my gauge swatch.... but should I be winding too?

Hi Ginny! I'm about half and half on winding from center-pull skeins. If it's a huge Red Heart skein or Caron One Pounder, I generally don't. But if it's a nicer yarn or smaller skein, I do. Winding gives you nice flat "cakes" you can stack. Plus, it gives you an opportunity to review the yarn before using it - see if there are any troublespots (knots, thin spots, etc). Also it generally releaves the yarn barf you get sometimes - you know when you pull the yarn & it gets stuck and then a huge tangled ball comes out of the skein?

It's not necessary and it's completely up to you and your preferences. :)

Go Crocheteers! I'll be adding more entries to the site later this evening. Right now I'm off to a knitting meeting. Shhh!

I rewind everything - for me it's an issue of portability. [is that just a word Taco Bell made up or does it exist for real?] I like to be able to toss a ball or two in a bag with my project and go... not have to worry about big, floppy skeins and ball bands etc.

BTW, Anna - I totally love the term "yarn barf!" That's new to me and I adore it!

Anna, I think you are right about the rings not being a problem because there is no financial gain & no blatant connection to the real Olympics. However, I did research it & legally one cannot even use the name OLYMPICS! ... :eek much less the trademarked symbols of the US Olympics Committee like torch, rings, etc.

I found one case where they did pursue it but it was because a tire seller used the rings on a huge billboard to sell tires. The owner WAS asked to take it down...they said they would but didn't. The tire seller profited from an Olympic ad on a major freeway when he was not an Olympic sponser. I think this little contest is safe but I would certainly understand if you didn't want to chance it. But I agree with the above post that if we are asked to remove them by Crochetville or a legal representative of the USOC, that we do so immediately. But if that were the case--we would need to change the entire name of olympics to *challenge* or something else because that is also trademarked.

In a nutshell, I think we are small beans...& not attempting to benefit from use of the symbols & name....it doesn't bother me but it may someone else since they emailed you.

Here is the law info I found.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode36/usc_sec_36_00220506----000-.html

ps. I wanted to add that it is possible also that we may be protected under c. section 3

he words described in subsection (a)(4) of this section, or any combination or simulation of those words tending to cause confusion or mistake, to deceive, or to falsely suggest a connection with the corporation or any Olympic, Paralympic, or Pan-American Games activity; or

My opinion is that we are not representing ourselves as part of the International Olympics nor are we creating confusion as to convince or benefit from the title or emblems . That is unless someone thinks that Crochet (or Knit for that matter) has really become a real Olympic event. :lol Wouldn't that be fun to watch! :clap

Thanks for the input on winding.... I'm putting off that decision while I ponder my new question...

I've heard various people cite various online sources about there being a direction to yarn... that the twist of the yarn requires you to work with it from one end and not the other... that working from the wrong end both feels rougher and causes the yarn to untwist and therefore split easier...

Does this make sense to anyone out there? Is this fact or fiction? If it's fact how does one determine the right direction?

Why do I ask? Because my olympic project is using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. I've never used this yarn before... many recommended it... it feels wonderful. I just did my swatch and hit the gauge dead on stitch and row count with the first size hook I chose. On one hand I'm psyched. On the other, I'm not so psyched. The yarn was unraveling as I crocheted, so while I liked the overall look of the swatch, upon closer inspection I didn't like the way some stitches had nice twisted yarn and some had unraveled plies...

so... I'm perplexed! :think Any thoughts?

In a nutshell, I think we are small beans...& not attempting to benefit from use of the symbols & name....it doesn't bother me but it may someone else since they emailed you.

ps. I wanted to add that it is possible also that we may be protected under c. section 3

That is unless someone thinks that Crochet (or Knit for that matter) has really become a real Olympic event. :lol Wouldn't that be fun to watch! :clap

Kazily - Thanks for researching this in more depth! :hug I agree we're small potatoes and if we're asked to modify it, we absolutely will. Frankly, with the KO having over 3500 (!) "athletes" involved, I think the YarnHarlot will hear about this before we ever do. LOL .

I do think that c. section 3 gives us protection - I doubt anybody would think our little challenge in anyway advertises for the Olympics! Although, I agree - it would be fun to watch crochet and knitting events at the actual Olympics. :lol

Thanks again!

Well whatever we are called we start on time right. So what's in a name.

I have my hook polished, waxxed, and super charged. My thread is on idle, My design in easy veiwing distance. It has been checked and double checked. My super mug is waiting to be filled coffee just before start time. I am good to go. I have done my swatches. I think we are as ready as we are going to get ..... :hook

Now to wait till Friday :(

Ah well maybe, just maybe I will clean the house so I wont have to worry about that for a few days. But that is a mighty big maybe.....:devil

I just added another 8 Yarn-letes to our challenge! Woo hoo! That brings us to a total of 108! This is so awesome that so many of our fellow crocheters want to challenge themselves and advance their craft skills while being encouraged by all of us. :manyheart

If any of you can't find your entry on the site, let me know. It's entirely possible I've missed somebody (it's been crazy around here lately!). Please don't take offense - it's not personal. Just email me your entry again. Oh, and if you've signed up as a TBD and have picked your project - let me know! Part of the fun is joining a team!

I'll be adding a blog to the site this weekend and when I do, I'll email everybody who's signed up login details. That way we can post progress photos, encouragement, tips, etc all over there. I'll most likely use Wordpress for this, but if worse comes to worse, I'll just open a group blog at Blogger. I try to avoid them because of outage issues, but they have the advantage of being "easy" to use and ubiquitous.

Is everybody pumped? Sticking to the rules (no starting until Friday at 2pm EST - I know it's tempting....)? Swatching & stretching away?

I'm really getting excited. I've swatched - which I've never done; and wound about half my yarn for the project. I'm pumped! :hook

I'm thinking of doing a random prize drawing at the end of this challenge for all of us who complete it. Any interest? ;)

Wah! I've got to wait until 8:00 p.m. my time....I promise I won't start until then...but yeah, I'm excited and chomping at the bit...

Ya know, something just doesn't seem right about starting anytime besides while watching the opening ceremonies (which aren't on till 8pm here). I won't be starting till then, either...after a dinner of Italian food, of course! :)

Ooh, Vera, go for it! :yay Nothing to give you a party atmosphere like going home early!

Natalie, I am totally in the same boat as you when it comes to waiting on the tax refund! I have enough yarn to start with, but not to finish! :eek Doesn't the IRS know that we need YARN here?!

Update on the Pre-Olympic UFO: only about 1/4 done. I'm going to have to step it up to finish before opening ceremonies!

It's so fantastic that we have more than 100 participants! Good luck, everyone, and please post lots of pictures! :cheer

Oh Ladies I am so totally geared up for this event!!! I fell sick for nearly 2 and a half weeks and now fully recovered and charged! Also the starting time would be 12:30 am for me here in Bangalore India!!! Go team Wearables!!!!And all the other teams as well..

Anna I have a question if we (thats a mighty big if) finish our piece can we still join the events and make a doily or something else? I know its highly unlikely for me but was just wondering that if I am supercharged and I do indeed get to finish this then can I start another project?

Hugs

Vims

Archived