Join the Crochet Olympics

UPDATE: Jingles96 has graciously offered to host and "organize" this crochet a-long, please see this post for instructions to join. Visit her Crochet Olympics Website/Blog for details and to join.

While out browsing the world wide web, I wandered into yarn harlot's blog and got excited that she has organized a Knitting Olympics. I got to thinking it might make a fun CAL here. I am participating in the knitting olympics, so don't feel up to organizing the CAL here, but thought I would throw this idea out, for someone else to start.

The rules are:

1 - The project must be a challenge for you to complete in the specified time frame.

2 - You can NOT start until opening ceremonies (Feb 10, 2pm Eastern Time)

3 - You MUST finish by closing ceremonies (16 days later, Feb 26th)

4 - You can do prep work before (guage swatches, winding, etc), but no working on the actual project.

5 - Pick something that is doable, but challenging. Do not set yourself up for failure.

These rules are paraphrased from yarn harlot's Olympic Rules. It sounds like lots of fun. As a beginning knitter, I am going to do a sweater (my first knitted wearable).

Wishing everyone luck that chooses to participate. If someone does decide to take over this, it should probably be approved by an admin and moved to the Crochet A-long thread.

BTW - she has over 1300 participants, can we out do her?

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if anybody would start up a crochet version. I'm fighting with myself about whether I want to join the knitting one or not. I'm a COMPLETE novice knitter, so I could make just about any (small) thing and have fulfilled my requirements. Plus it would push me to keep knitting...

As for crochet, it would push me to finally make a wearable top for myself - something I've been wanting to do, but procrastinating about.

As for hosting the CAL, I could be persuaded. I'd definitely lend out hosting space for the page and blog button graphics and such.

Oh, heck - if nobody else has volunteered by the time I post this, I'll organize a Crochet Olympics. :) I'm horrible with making buttons though - but I'll host them and organize a page on my domain and such.

I'll start the page up tonight when I get home from work. Go Crochetters!! We can get at least as many crocheters signed up, right? :cheer:cheer:cheer

I'm in! I want to make a short-sleeve cardigan for my mom (finally found a pattern that she likes), but she wants it in Estelle Royal Cotton, which is much finer than I'm used to. It'll be a challenge for me, but so satisfying if I can give her something she'll love.

Good idea!

I am also a novice knitter, and I haven't officially signed up, but plan to do an aromatherapy tea cozy from Canadian Living: http://tinyurl.com/95tao

(I bet this could be crocheted nicely, too. As a matter of fact, if the knitting gets too tough, maybe I'll try to design a crocheted version!)

I would be game for the Crocheting Olympics also. The tea cozy is small enough that I could probably do a crocheting project as well. I think I would do the "Fit to be Tied" shrug for myself. I made one for my brother's GF and am about to start on one for my sister. I really like that pattern, and it's a quick one. I used Jo-Ann's Angel Hair yarn for it, which is nice and soft.

http://store.nobleknits.com/fittobetishp.html

Looks like we're getting a good bunch going here. Woo hoo!

DainaJ - That fit to be tied shrug looks cute! However, since you've already done it, is it still a challenge? Rule one states the project should be a challenge for you to complete in the 16 days. Or is the time frame the challenge? Maybe something else for the Crochet Olympics would be more challenging - just a suggestion. :)

Id sign up!!! Heck Id even head it up if you all still need someone. Again I am terrible with buttons but am glad to organize!! Oh we could even have a prize like a gold Chook!! lol

Jimmie Lu - would you like to co-host with me? Two heads are better than one. Even the yarnharlot has somebody helping her organize all the entries. :hook

I will join! I already posted over on Craftster.com about joining their "Crochet Olympics" but theirs doesn't seem to be developing into much....

My Crochet Olympic project is a Mrs. Who Shrug! I can't wait! I have never done anything wearable before besides hats and scarves....

Tina

Yes I will co host with you. I am thinking of doing a granny sq blitz for those days setting a goal (I did 500+ In a month) Not sure what and then pushing myself to exceed it. It would benifit my Amegios project and the people in Mexico. Humm??? If not Maybe I will try a poncho never made one before. What do you all think???

This sounds like fun...I've got so many projects I want to do I'm gonna have to think on this for a moment...but I'll sign up...

Do you sopose we should head over to the CAL board??? Before we get to far ahead and then everyone gets lost??? just a thought

Good idea. I'll ping Julie or Kari about moving this thread over to the CAL board.

I want in, I even know what I want to make.......:hook Something I keep putting on the back burner. What do I do to sign up?

Hi Katchkan! Wow - something challenging for you must be superhuman for me. :) Welcome aboard. :cheer

As for sign up, I'll set up an email account tonight and I'll post it here. Then I'll set up a page to list everybody's name, link to website (if available), and project they'll be working on.

I will join! I already posted over on Craftster.com about joining their "Crochet Olympics" but theirs doesn't seem to be developing into much....

Tell me about it, Tina. I'm the last one who posted in their Crochet Olympics thread, and that was over a day and a half ago. :ohdear

I am soooo in this, OK? I've already got the yarn for the project, and I'm prepping for it. I'm making a Snow White baby afghan for my soon-to-be-born great niece. Hopefully she'll be born before the Olympics..my niece's due date is Saturday.

Ok All - I've got an email set up for you to send your sign ups to. Send your Name (or Nick if you prefer), a link to your blog (if you have one/want to), and the project you will work on to crochetolympics@jinglelady.us

Remember:

The rules are:

1 - The project must be a challenge for you to complete in the specified time frame.

2 - You can NOT start until opening ceremonies (Feb 10, 2pm Eastern Time)

3 - You MUST finish by closing ceremonies (16 days later, Feb 26th)

4 - You can do prep work before (guage swatches, winding, etc), but no working on the actual project.

5 - Pick something that is doable, but challenging. Do not set yourself up for failure.

I've set up a page to post all these to at: http://www.jinglelady.us/crochet/olympics/

Currently this site is empty. If anybody would like to lend their design talents to helping make this site look purty, I'd really appreciated it. While I'm great at tweaking designs to get them how I want them, I'm very bad at coming up with something on my own. I'll link to you and send you a pretty thread bookmark if you help. Pretty please with sugar on top? :blush

I am in! I think I have an idea of what I want to make but have to decide on a pattern.

I do not know much about site design but I was just playing around with buttons so I made some buttons & blinkies for this CAL. I hope you like them. I tried to make them different sizes for different blog needs.

th_cal1.gif

th_cro_olympics.gif

th_cal3.gif

th_cro_olympics2.gif

Hi Kazily! Welcome. :) The buttons are cute. Thanks for making them! Just one thing: can you turn down the blink speed a little? My eyes hurt when there are too many blinking things on the screen.

Archived