Join the Crochet Olympics

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is not too late I am finally ready to sign up also.

I am going to crochet a ripple drawstring purse.

A fun little project for my daughter (or myself !) that I otherwise would have put off.

I'll go email the modertor now!

Welcome to all the new Crochet Olympians!

What are your plans for Feb 9th? I think I will do very little crochet... :eek I'll read over my pattern again...clean out my WIP rack (like a magazine rack) & stock with all my project paraphanalia & of course YARN...relax, watch some mundane tv shows & go to bed early.

Is it starting at a certain time? ...I think knitting olympics starts at 2 pm. That day (10th) is going to be so slow if we have to wait until 2 pm LOL! But exciting too...

By the way...Kimberly, I'm so glad you joined the olympics...your posts have & will bring a lot of giggles to it. That is good! We are going to need it to break up the tension when we are all jumping hurdles on our projects lol!

:cheer A Challenge has been made and accepted!!!!!

Karin4christ is making 100 sq for project linus I am making 250 for Afgahns for Amegos so here is the deal anything I make over 200 she will get for hers any she does over 100 goes to Amegos!!!!

so cheer us on there are no loosers only winners when charity is concerned!!!!

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

That is wonderful that you both came up with a plan to spur you on to victory & achieve such a great thing for others!

Hello Fellow Yarn-letes! (I totally stole that from Pandora's email entry).

I'm going to be working on the website for the next hour or so. Hopefully now that the cold/flu thing is mostly gone, as well as some of the bridal stress (it's NOT going to get me down!), the techy stuff will all make sense and fall into place. Cross your fingers, knock on wood, etc.

As a bonus, MamaHooks sent me her design this morning. I haven't peeked yet, though, so it's a surprise for me too.

I'll update here as soon as the site is back up and going. Oh, I haven't updated any of the entries received today bc I wanted to wait until all this web design stuff was in place. As soon as that is, I'll add the new entries.

Go Crocheteers! :cheer

Karin4christ is making 100 sq for project linus I am making 250 for Afgahns for Amegos so here is the deal anything I make over 200 she will get for hers any she does over 100 goes to Amegos!!!!

Best wishes!

Welcome to all the new Crochet Olympians!

What are your plans for Feb 9th? I think I will do very little crochet... :eek I'll read over my pattern again...clean out my WIP rack (like a magazine rack) & stock with all my project paraphanalia & of course YARN...relax, watch some mundane tv shows & go to bed early.

Hopefully finishing up cleaning the house and making meals for the next two weeks. I'll watch "Dancing with the Stars," then probably get to bed fairly early.

Is it starting at a certain time? ...I think knitting olympics starts at 2 pm. That day (10th) is going to be so slow if we have to wait until 2 pm LOL! But exciting too...

Yeah, it starts at 2. I don't exactly know how I'm going to work it on Friday. I get off of work at 4:00pm. I'll probably see about changing my tour of duty, so I'll only work until 2:30 (go into work at 6 AM that day...in which case, I'll get to bed right after Dancing with the Stars on Thursday night). If I'm able to pull that off, I'll get home at 2:45 and start working.

Of course, that's also the weekend my daughter comes home from college for the weekend (she has an orthodonist appointment). I'll probably have to drive down to pick her up, and that's a ninety minute trip one way. So I have a bad feeling I'll be spending much of Friday on the road.

I might not have to pick up up until Sat morning. If that's the case, hopefully I can get hubby to drive down and me drive home. At least, I can crochet while he drives.

The new design is up! Woohoo! A big thanks goes to MamaHooks :hug for making a wonderful design. I just tweaked it a little on font types and added the opaqueness to the text so we could see her background graphic.

So - go have a gander and look around. Let me know (at crochetolympics@jinglelady.us) if anything looks screwy or anything.

I haven't updated the site with today's entries - I'm bushed. I'm off to bed. I'll add them tomorrow morning.

Oh, and Cris made us a new blog button. Check it out!

Also, while I haven't given up on the blog idea, it wasn't going to work tonight. I did make progress though. We'll see if I have time this weekend to implement that idea.

Go Crocheteers!! :cheer

:yay You like the Yarn-lete thing? I'm so totally flattered! :hook

Until Feb. 9th, I'm going to sit here wondering where my tax refund is, so that I can buy the rest of the yarn I need for my projects! I *might* have enough for the baby blanket, but I don't have anything for the sweater. Oh--I'll also be chasing the chihuahua around the house with a tape measure. I tried to take her measurements today, and it turns out she's scared of the measuring tape. :hyper <---- We call her our caffeine dog. So if I can't get her measurements, I can always make a sweater for the beagle instead--she's much more placid. But I prefer to make one for Zoey, because she's always shivering, especially in the winter. I think she could use one.

By the way, it's awesome to hear about people making their projects for charity! Although my Olympic projects aren't for charity, I just signed up for the "25 Things" CAL; a most worthy cause. My Grandma broke her arm :eek the other day (she's ok now, thank goodness!), but when she is all healed, she promises to teach me how to make granny squares, so I will be able to join in the square contributions.

Until February 9th, am trying to finish as many WIP, clean house...Monday after Superbowl, DH and I will be recovering our couch and chair, finish up some writing (including writing up my first original pattern that I actually want to write up - Lowen the Lionhearted Lamb...) Still waiting for my yarn to get here from joann.com...first thing Feb. 10th, as soon as the Opening Ceremonies start in Turin, I'll be at the ready with my crochet hook and yarn...

Oh wow!!! "Rah rah ree" to the both of you!! What an excellent challenge!!

The new design is up! Woohoo! A big thanks goes to MamaHooks :hug for making a wonderful design. I just tweaked it a little on font types and added the opaqueness to the text so we could see her background graphic...

Go Crocheteers!! :cheer

I love the website. Very nice work!

By the way...Kimberly, I'm so glad you joined the olympics...your posts have & will bring a lot of giggles to it. That is good! We are going to need it to break up the tension when we are all jumping hurdles on our projects lol!
hey! Wait a minute! It might be all fun and laughs now...but you must realize that when it comes time to compete, I am going to show up with my game face on! :P I want...no I need....no I will have those medals! And anyone who says otherwise....well.... :tryme:rofl

Now, all kidding aside, I think that we have a really great group of crocheters all going out and competing together, and I am so glad that I decided to join in! With all of the cheering from each other, we can all do our personal best and strive towards meeting our personal challenges. Yes, there will be pitfalls and detours and sometimes bright glaring stop signs for all of us during our quest for Crochet Olympic gold. The Olympics is not about winning, it is about team spirit, coming together and doing the best you can.....from the words of the Sport Goofy Anthem -

"You can always be number one, You can always be a winner. Even if you've played the game for years, or you play like a beginner! So if you stumble and fall, if you fumble the ball, just keep on giving your all and having fun! You may be first or last place, or you may fall on your face, but if you're running the race, you're number one!"

Hey Kimberly, it's so nice to know you're on this side of the water...we have a couple of nice yarns shops where I am if you wanna visit...

My yarn is ready (Estelle DK Royal Cotton) and my pattern is highilighted and ready! I've also made and frogged one gauge swatch with a 3.5 hook. I'm going to need to adjust the tension and the sizing because I need to make an extra large and the pattern only goes to large. I've figured out that the 3.5 hook gives me an extra 1/4" for every 4". I'm trying the a 3.75 now (which seems pointless). They both may prove to be too large, so I'm also going to pick up a 3mm (my hooks are getting smaller all the time!) and try that. I need to add about 6 inches to the largest bust size and the 3.5mm hook gives me 10 extra inches.

All this training is making me tired. I need to go and crochet something to stop thinking about it....:hook

Hey Kimberly, it's so nice to know you're on this side of the water...we have a couple of nice yarns shops where I am if you wanna visit...
What? Yarn Shopping? Oh boy oh boy oh boy! :lol I do believe that we have already established that I have a slight problem with shopping! LOL

I just might stop by for a visit! I still need to get down to see Marvie in Stuttgart....plan my road trip right and I could see both! Too bad my friend from Darmstadt is in Iraq right now...I could have seen all three of you on one trip!

I've decided on the ripple pattern i'm going to use, i don't now how to put a link in to show everyone, and to add to the difficulty, i got the yarn for it..baby yarn..ahhhhh...in a light pink. I chose a ripple pattern w/ baby yarn because i get bored with ripples easily and this is my excuse to actually finish one lol :flower and baby yarn will make it really soft and cuddly i think.

LOL this is so funny...I was playing around with more olympic type graphics with an idea that didn't work very well! My "yarn-lete" looks like a transvestite that ate something bad for his stomach :lol I have to share this funny pic though..maybe it will provide a giggle. :P

(he-she is holding a hook torch but you can't see the hook too well)

olympics.gif

LOL this is so funny...I was playing around with more olympic type graphics with an idea that didn't work very well! My "yarn-lete" looks like a transvestite that ate something bad for his stomach :lol I have to share this funny pic though..maybe it will provide a giggle. :P

(he-she is holding a hook torch but you can't see the hook too well)

LOL. I like the idea though. :)

I've just added about 14 new Yarn-letes to the Crochet Olympics. Woo hoo! Our numbers are growing!

I've also tweaked the site a little more. My fiance said it was a little hard to read, so I reduced the opacity a tad. Did it help?

Is everybody hard at work training for their event? Personally, I haven't crocheted a bit this week, nor have I finalized the pattern I'll be using. I think I'd best go off and do that now!

Oh, and thanks for all the well wishes! I'm feeling 95% better now. My poor fiance though - I think I gave him his cold back. :blush

Go Crocheteers!! :cheer Less than a week until the Opening Ceremonies. :eek Train harder! :wink

:hiJingles96 I'm sorry but I think you need to make the font bold so its easier to read. Its just to thin of font in my opinion.

And yes everyone I am working on a better banner...I got the messages I know it isn't a great banner. The next one will be better (I hope :worried ). Don't worry my feelings are not hurt at all, I knew it wasn't very good. I just needed a :kick in the pants to get my creative juices flowing, I guess.

MamaHooks

ok,most of the house is clean :cheer:cheer and im working to finish some of my WIP.I should be ready by the 10th,i cant wait for this to start,i love the olympics and crochet so this is like a birthday for me.Just have to decide which project to do now :think ,im thinking maybe a starwars blanket for my son with a photo of a storm trooper i found and put into knitpro,wont be easy for me becouse im not to good at reading these things but i think i can..thanks for the great ideal everyone,will let you know when i decide.

Enyone have eny good cassarolls they would like to share??I would like some,i dont usually make them and would love to do so.

Mamahooks-i love the design :hug it just needs to be darker,so i can read it better.

Archived