Join the Crochet Olympics

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I've changed my mind yet again. I am NOT going to do the Mrs. Who's shrug afterall. I was going to make it for my niece but I don't have a sweater her size to get the measurements from so I'm scrapping that idea for the moment. Instead I'm going to do the Cream Cotton Shrug which I love because I can use some of my 4 ply cotton!!! I don't do too well with fitted garments so I think this will be challenging. Do I have to re-sign up since I'm changing what I plan to make???

Wow...that is very pretty Sarah,i wish i could find a pattern like that with starwars on it for my 10 year old.He would die of a heart attack for something like that.

If you don't like the graphs mentioned earlier, you could always do just the name "STAR WARS" or even Darth Vader or something like that. Just stick the pic into knitpro and voila!!!

Do I have to re-sign up since I'm changing what I plan to make???

No, you don't have to re-sign up, but if you'd send me a short email telling me what your new project is, I'll update your entry. :) In this case, I've already done so ;), but in the future, in case I don't see the post saying you've changed your mind, just drop an email by. :D

Kimberly, if shopping isn't an olympic event, let's make it one! :D:shop
I'm game for making it one!!!! In university my roommates and I spent hours in the shopping mall.....and doing our own version of Supermarket Sweep at 3 am in our local 24 hour "one stop shopping" store Meijers (a Superwalmart before its time *grin*) :shop:shop:shop

Hmmmm......can I change my Crochet Olympic Event to a challenge to buy wool from every yarn shop in Belgium AND from at least one shop in 4 different countries in 16 days? Now there would be a challenge of Olympic proportions for me! :laughroll

No, you don't have to re-sign up, but if you'd send me a short email telling me what your new project is, I'll update your entry. :) In this case, I've already done so ;), but in the future, in case I don't see the post saying you've changed your mind, just drop an email by. :D

Awww thanks! You're so sweet! Now to figure out what color I am going to use for this? Hmmm, white or varigated baby colors? Which to choose, which to choose? :think

Try the Mrs Who. It looks complicated but it's deceptively easy once you read through the instructions.

Ordered my Olympic Athlete Gear today. I opted for the "I'm a Hooker" baseball top in blue & white. It supports the village & makes me feel as if I have the right clothing...

Alison:hook

So, where are the sporty smilies?

Okay Alison, first where's the Mrs Who pattern? Sounds real interesting. Second, where did you get the baseball top? This is going to be so much fun!:clap

Hugs,

Jennifer:c9

Update on the website that I am trying to create for our Crochet Olympics:hook Site. I have the background finished :yay, and I have all the info on my copy that Jingles96 has up on the site so far:yay....now I am working on the banner and I will then have the site sent to Jingles96 to look over and do her tweaking magic :cheer. So I am very happy. I hope by tomorrow evening that I will be finished with all of tweaking I need to do. If anyone has any input they would like to share with me while I make the final part of the site please feel free to IM me and we can discuss it...

Have a good one

MamaHooks

Okay, I've sent off my email and I'm now on the sidelines warming up!

I've chosen a project I was gearing up to start anyway, which is the Quilted Trellis afghan from the book Mosaic Magic. All my materials are gathered, and all I need to do is make a copy of the pattern to work from, as it's easier for me than dragging the whole book around. I will be eating breathing and sleeping with this project - and will have to drastically reduce my computer time - in order to meet my challenge, which is to make an afghan in 16 days!

(flexing finger muscles) :hook

I'm game for making it one!!!! In university my roommates and I spent hours in the shopping mall.....and doing our own version of Supermarket Sweep at 3 am in our local 24 hour "one stop shopping" store Meijers (a Superwalmart before its time *grin*) :shop:shop:shop

Hmmmm......can I change my Crochet Olympic Event to a challenge to buy wool from every yarn shop in Belgium AND from at least one shop in 4 different countries in 16 days? Now there would be a challenge of Olympic proportions for me! :laughroll

Clothes is my weakness. Elder Beerman was having a great sale this past weekend. I got a $50 lovely embroidered sweater for $10. I'm just dying to wear it but I'm trying to save it for when hubby takes me out for Valentine's Day.

Okay, I've sent off my email and I'm now on the sidelines warming up!

I've chosen a project I was gearing up to start anyway, which is the Quilted Trellis afghan from the book Mosaic Magic. All my materials are gathered, and all I need to do is make a copy of the pattern to work from, as it's easier for me than dragging the whole book around. I will be eating breathing and sleeping with this project - and will have to drastically reduce my computer time - in order to meet my challenge, which is to make an afghan in 16 days!

(flexing finger muscles) :hook

You make me so ashamed for choosing such a small project. ;) Still, I'm wondering if I'll have enough time to get my little poncho completed in 16 days. Such a busy time for me.

That would be funny. You could update your blog with reporter-esque photos of you shopping and the stores and such. And do the reporting in mocking Sport Commentator style "Look at her go, ladies and gentlemen, she's shopping for some fingering weight wool. But she's still got 3 countries to go. Will she make it in time or will she cave under the pressure?" :heehee

LOL

Good luck with your cardigan! I love it & can't wait to see it! I would do that one but I couldn't understand the instructions. :lol

I'm going to do the blue one on the back cover of Leisure Arts 4 Crochet Shrugs. That one is done with chenille though. I am using Caron SS, which I love to use & with SS it will be lighter & less "hot" (not sexy hot but sweaty hot :lol ) . Also, it will be a lot less inexpensive with SS than chenille. I would like to make it a bit longer...more cardigan length but not sure if time will permit...we'll see how it goes & how it looks as a bolero on me. Bolero/shrugs are adorable but all the ones I see are on younger models.

I decided to do this sweater from garnstudio. I love the look, and the color.... but I always do blue so I might try a different color.

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=56&d_id=14〈=us

It will definitely be a challenge for me because I'm not used to a pattern without row by row instructions... there's just a chart AGH!!!!

Now I have to go to my LYS during their superbowl sale and hope they have what I want in the quantity I want....

Ginny

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com

You make me so ashamed for choosing such a small project. ;) Still, I'm wondering if I'll have enough time to get my little poncho completed in 16 days. Such a busy time for me.

Oh, no need to feel ashamed, believe me! The only reason I'm taking on this challenge is because I do have the time, since I'm not working. With a full-time job and other duties to juggle, there'd be no way I could do it, especially as slow as I crochet! Who knows, though, maybe this event will help me break through that speed barrier I've been struggling with? That would be so nice, seeing as how I have so many projects I want to do and would love to complete them in my lifetime! :lol I have everything I need (yarn, patterns, tools and implements, even time) for nearly all of my major WIMs, except that speed. :eek:blush

Okay, off to practice! :hook

:yay Hooray, I just signed up! But not just for one olympic event--for TWO! For the Crochet Olympics, I too am making a baby blanket for a friend who is expecting--due in September. It's my first-ever baby blanket. If I can get it done this fast, maybe I can actually get done half of the things I intended to make for her before the baby comes... :lol

For the Knitting Olympics, I'm making my first-ever sweater! It's a dog sweater--the "Howl" pattern from the book "Stitch N' Bitch", for our chihuahua, Zoey. I'm especially interested in overcoming that challenge--breaking the "sweater barrier" is going to be a very special event for me!

And as if enjoying these wonderful events were not enough, I was thinking about getting myself a special something if I am able to complete both events. On the crochet side, I was tempting myself with a "Happy Hooker" shirt from the Crochetville store. :manyheart Just want to show my love for my new community!

There was some discussion about what to do until the competition starts...aside from shopping, and perhaps over-feeding my hamster so she doesn't need me for awhile (Just kidding! :devil ), I'm working on my first-ever (see a theme here? :P ) thread project: a bookmark I designed myself, in double-crochet and shell stitch.

As long as we're on the first-ever topic--this will be my first crochet-along!

Were I going to make a triathalon event out of this, I could take up my friend's offer to give me a refresher course in spinning, and set a certain amount to spin before the time is up! Of course, I'd be happy if I could just finish carding that raw wool I bought... (What was I thinking? :ohdear )

:c9 Ah, the yarny bliss...with so much to try, maybe I'll be able to initiate a full-blown habit of completing projects on a regular basis! It's great to have people to yarn-along with! :yay

Okay Alison, first where's the Mrs Who pattern? Sounds real interesting. Second, where did you get the baseball top? This is going to be so much fun!:clap

Hugs,

Jennifer:c9

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15176&page=1&pp=40

This is the Mrs Who shrug, and I went to the cafepress store in Support Crochetville for my "Team Shirt"! They are just so cool, and cafepress deliver very quickly (even to the UK!)

PS for some reason the link goes a bit askew! It goes to Mrs Who's BLUE Shrug!!A technotwit here:think I don't get these links right! Anyway, click on the link inside the link to Fluffy Pink Shrug!

I don't know...:blush

Alison,

Thanks so much for the link, I got there just fine. It's a little complicated I think for me. But it is beautiful, both the pink and the blue. I'll continue looking for a easier one. Off to order my shirt!

Hugs

Jennifer:cheer

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15176&page=1&pp=40

This is the Mrs Who shrug, and I went to the cafepress store in Support Crochetville for my "Team Shirt"! They are just so cool, and cafepress deliver very quickly (even to the UK!)

PS for some reason the link goes a bit askew! It goes to Mrs Who's BLUE Shrug!!A technotwit here:think I don't get these links right! Anyway, click on the link inside the link to Fluffy Pink Shrug!

I don't know...:blush

Where's the pattern???

The "Mrs Who Shrug" is not a stitch by stitch pattern. If you read the thread, what you get are instructions and general guidelines for creating the garment, customizing it to your own tastes by choosing your own stitch pattern to use and using your own measurements for fit. If you are the kind of person who must have a completely spelled-out pattern, row by row - you won't get that here! But I can tell you it's a great way to break out of that dependency on patterns and grow by leaps towards learning to create your own designs!

That would be funny. You could update your blog with reporter-esque photos of you shopping and the stores and such. And do the reporting in mocking Sport Commentator style "Look at her go, ladies and gentlemen, she's shopping for some fingering weight wool. But she's still got 3 countries to go. Will she make it in time or will she cave under the pressure?" :heehee
LOL I am sure that by the time I made the above report, my next report would be coming in from some beach where I had gotten side tracked by the sand, sun and of course the yarn I had bought in the other countries....."Attention everyone, this is just in! Kimberly has been sighted sitting on a beach at an undisclosed location in the Canary Islands....when asked about her Olympic challenge she was quoted as saying 'Olympics, Shalmpics Bob! Can't you see I am CROCHETING?? Now, will you please move...you're blocking my sun AND the view of the cabana boy!"

and doing our own version of Supermarket Sweep at 3 am in our local 24 hour "one stop shopping" store Meijers (a Superwalmart before its time *grin*) :shop:shop:shop

I LOVE Meijer!! I was so sad when I moved out here and found they weren't on the west coast!

I LOVE Meijer!! I was so sad when I moved out here and found they weren't on the west coast!
Meijers is great :cry we don't even have anything close to that here in Brussels....my parents think that I am odd when I back in the US visiting them and I go off at 2 in the morning to do some shopping....because I can! All shops here close by 8 at the very latest, the majority at 5 or 6! AND Meijers sells YARN!!!!! Okay, similar selection to Walmart I believe, but hey, its yarn that you can buy 24 hours a day....can life get any better? :lol

:cheer A Challenge has been made and accepted!!!!!

Karin4christ is making 100 sq for project linus I am making 250 for Afgahns for Amegos so here is the deal anything I make over 200 she will get for hers any she does over 100 goes to Amegos!!!!

so cheer us on there are no loosers only winners when charity is concerned!!!!

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Archived