Join the Crochet Olympics

Well I still have several things I can work on if I get bored with the Olympic projects at hand...so you're not alone Kimberly and Stacy25...and Karin4Christ, I literally laughed out loud when I read your suggestion of calling someone in Turin to light a skein of yarn on fire...good one...

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few random thoughts...

1) For those expecting their refunds to be directly deposited into their accounts this week..they should be deposited no later than tomorrow. I've already heard of two cases of deposits made today.

2) Regarding winding of yarn. I don't usually wind yarn, but in this case I did. Since time is of the essense, I didn't want to waste time untying knots that sometimes occur in skeins of yarn. Plus, since I'm dealing with a graph, you already need small balls of yarn.

3) Going in early to work tomorrow, and taking off at noon. I'll have plenty of time to get things done before 2:00. However, I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a longgg day at work.

4) Going to try to get to bed early. I'm working 6 to noon tomorrow (six hours of work and taking off two hours). I used to work the 6-2:30 shift, but I've been working the 7:30-4 shift recently. I don't know if I can get up that early anymore.

21 hours to go. I can't wait. :devil

Is anyone else going to have a few little filler projects to work on every now and then to jazz things up? Or am I the only one who has issues working on the same thing?

I will. I have a dishcloth project that lives in my car & is worked on at long lights during my commute. Plus, I'm going to Florida towards the end of the Olympics (wedding plans trip), and I have a niece that turns 5 at the beginning of March who I'm making a hoodie for - with all the crazyness of the last two weeks, I haven't worked on it much. I'm hoping to give it to her while I'm there......we'll see.

Well, I am IN!:wooI made the cut to compete with myself in Team Eclectic. (GO TEAM!)

I will be attempting to beat my record (so far I have done 0), at a table runner, and I think I have a real healthy chance of winning a GOLD.

Olympics, olympics ye:fame

At least that is my dream. :dreaming

Anyway, back to reality... I had a real struggle in deciding to join, because I recently committed to finishing so many of my UFO's. (I start very well, but have completion issues). I also have trouble staying on one project at a time, like Karen, Kimberly, Stacey, and eurolyons (who has been amazing us in the UFO CAL with her ability to complete many projects in record time - she's an inspiration!) SO...my challenge will be to finish my Olympic project while still working on my UFO's (changing events every hour (Olympic - UFO - Olympic - UFO).

I will have to limit my Crochetville time too, which is a major obstacle for me, but a sacrifice I must make for a short time to win! Good Luck Everyone!

It came,it came..:cheer:cheer I allmost hugged the fedex guy,now i can start on time.

My daughter-in-law looked in the box and said AHH..the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.:eek i looked in the box and thought WHAT WAS I THINKING :eek:think My dear hubby just shook his head and went to get a cup of coffee,So i did the only normal thing a woman could do I STUCK MY TOUGE OUT AT THEM,and then called my sister (sissie44)for moral support,Made me even more determend to reach for the gold.

162245af.jpg

Enyway the house is clean,teapot ready to go and my chair and gear are waxed and lined up waiting.Chilli for this weekends food since its going snow heavy here.

LET THE GAMES BEGAIN!!!

Is anyone else going to have a few little filler projects to work on every now and then to jazz things up? Or am I the only one who has issues working on the same thing?

I will probably work on one or two other things too. I'm like you & a few others, I will get burned out if I work on the same thing for hrs every day.

I am so happy to read that people waiting on yarn & money had happy days today!

I can't wait until tomorrow when it starts!

My daughter-in-law looked in the box and said AHH..the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.:eek i looked in the box and thought WHAT WAS I THINKING :eek:think My dear hubby just shook his head and went to get a cup of coffee,So i did the only normal thing a woman could do I STUCK MY TOUGE OUT AT THEM,and then called my sister (sissie44)for moral support

You go Shaylen! :) On the topic of your yarn - I :manyheart Senso thread. I pet it almost everytime I go in the yarn store. I haven't bought any yet - too many other things on the hook & no inspiration yet for what to do with it. I'm looking forward to seeing your vest made out of it. :)

• Cooler full of diet black cherry vanilla coke :soda
  • Snacks :cchip
  • Yarn in neat balls :fluffy
  • Headphones found, launchcast on shortcut key :yes
  • Spare hooks (in case of hungry couch) :eek
  • Pattern printed :tup
  • favorite hand lotion :queen
  • necessities in handy dandy tote :hyper (including spare scissors) hehehe

:sweatI'll draw the line at getting some Depends or a bedside commode :rofl

I think I'm ready...:applause

Now for some power :sleep

Good Luck y'all!!

Cris~

Well, I am IN!:wooI made the cut to compete with myself in Team Eclectic. (GO TEAM!)

I will be attempting to beat my record (so far I have done 0), at a table runner, and I think I have a real healthy chance of winning a GOLD.

Olympics, olympics ye:fame

At least that is my dream. :dreaming

Anyway, back to reality... I had a real struggle in deciding to join, because I recently committed to finishing so many of my UFO's. (I start very well, but have completion issues). I also have trouble staying on one project at a time, like Karen, Kimberly, Stacey, and eurolyons (who has been amazing us in the UFO CAL with her ability to complete many projects in record time - she's an inspiration!) SO...my challenge will be to finish my Olympic project while still working on my UFO's (changing events every hour (Olympic - UFO - Olympic - UFO).

I will have to limit my Crochetville time too, which is a major obstacle for me, but a sacrifice I must make for a short time to win! Good Luck Everyone!

Thanks Diane...and while I'll be working on my projects (and UFO's too )over the next couple of weeks, I'll also be trying to knock my flat into shape...there's always something going on...I'll be rooting you on with your UFO's and tablerunner...

Good evening Yarn-letes!

I've added yet another 8 sign-ups to the site for a total of 114 112 (somehow I miscounted) ! Woo hoo! :cheer

I've also added a news section to the top of the site. Sara created a YahooGroup for us - crochetolympics@yahoogroups.com. Even though that's like a bulletin board, I'm still going to go ahead and add a blog to the site this weekend.

Well, I'm off to bed - gotta re-charge the batteries before the Opening Ceremonies tomorrow. I probably won't be able to start at 2pm EST, but I'll definitely be watching the primetime broadcast of the opening ceremonies and crocheting then!

Sleep well everybody! Rest up and be raring to go tomorrow! :)

Over the last couple days, my training for this is to crochet while my daughter is awake :eek not easy, lol she thinks it's funny to stand in front of me all sweet and innocent and then grab the ball of yan and run off as fast as she can while laughing the whole way LOL it's pretty much impossible to crochet with her around i can only do it when she has her nap or in bed for the night (she's 17 mon.) but i will never get my blanket done unless i work on it while she's awake :clap

Just the description of what I'm going thro here too.My toddler is 17 mon.too.:hook

ITs D day!!!! and I am ready:cheer

[reporter voice] Here we are folks! :yay Opening day of the Winter 2006 Olympics.....and the start of the first ever Crochetville Crochet Olympics! :yay What a wild 16 days this is going to be!

Crocheters around the world have been busy getting ready for their events. We have had reports of frantic yarn shopping, postal worker stalkings, guage tears and frustrations, and above all a sense of euphoria and team spirit that everyone will be able to finish their selected challenges!

The Opening Ceremony is set to commence in 9 hours here in Europe, and family members are frantically trying to spend a last few minutes with their crocheters before Olympic madness sets in and everything - children, pets, plants and jobs are forsaken as each Crocheter sets out to become an Olympic champion! [end voice]

Happy Friday everyone!! I am all set and ready to go tonight. :bounce Well....kinda.:blush I made an agreement a few weeks ago to pick a friend up at the airport....I need to be there at 6:45....if she is on time, I :drive like a bat outta you know where, and there is absolutely no traffic (an unheard of event on a Friday evening) I will be able to make it home to plop on the couch at exactly 8 pm CET as the Olympics are kicking off...will I make it? :sweat That is anyones guess!

Ok I am so ready to start here!! I got my yarn yesterday for my sweater got 10 skins of Loin Brand Homespun # 338 Nouveau. The pattern calls for 8 but since I have to go up two sizes I thought it best to get every skin Wal-Mart had in :drool. I have to work this evening:irk But should be home in time for the lighting of the Tourch!!! I haveeverything done here and even have the slowcooker going with Chili! so Johnny will not bother me:lol (wonder if I made enough to last for 16 days:rofl

Everyone have a great day and GOOD LUCK!!!

[reporter voice] Here we are folks! :yay Opening day of the Winter 2006 Olympics.....and the start of the first ever Crochetville Crochet Olympics! :yay What a wild 16 days this is going to be!

Crocheters around the world have been busy getting ready for their events. We have had reports of frantic yarn shopping, postal worker stalkings, guage tears and frustrations, and above all a sense of euphoria and team spirit that everyone will be able to finish their selected challenges!

The Opening Ceremony is set to commence in 9 hours here in Europe, and family members are frantically trying to spend a last few minutes with their crocheters before Olympic madness sets in and everything - children, pets, plants and jobs are forsaken as each Crocheter sets out to become an Olympic champion! [end voice]

Happy Friday everyone!! I am all set and ready to go tonight. :bounce Well....kinda.:blush I made an agreement a few weeks ago to pick a friend up at the airport....I need to be there at 6:45....if she is on time, I :drive like a bat outta you know where, and there is absolutely no traffic (an unheard of event on a Friday evening) I will be able to make it home to plop on the couch at exactly 8 pm CET as the Olympics are kicking off...will I make it? :sweat That is anyones guess!

Prima! Good luck tonight getting home...I hope traffic is friendly for you.

Almost 5 hours until we start...I finished the doily I started yesterday...I should be cleaning house...

Good luck everyone!

I'm so excited about this!:yay I can't wait until 2 o'clock!!!!! I'll be working at my desk, but as soon as I get home and finish making dinner, I'll be on it.

This is my first really crochet along. I did the UFOs but this feels so much more teamlike. I love it!

Good luck and go go go Team Wearables!!:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

cro_w.gif

Kimberly - I love your "reporting". :lol

I'll be bringing a ball of yarn to work so that I can "officially" start at the appointed time, but that's it. I probably won't do anything more than the initial chain. LOL.

Go Crocheteers! We can do it!

Hey - this is so cool! Somebody created a Flickr account for the Knitting & Crochet Olympics! Awesome!

Go here: http://flickr.com/groups/knittingolympics/

Even though the URL says knittingolympics, the site specifically says Fiber olympics - including knitting and crocheting.

I'm thinking that between the Yahoo Group and this Flickr account, I don't need to add a blog to the site. What do you think?

Btw - I found this via the CrochetMe blog.

I HAVE BEEN READING THIS THREAD SINCE IT STARTED. LOL THE WHOLE TIME. I AM TO NEW TO CROCHET TO FEEL COMFORTABLE TAKING PART IN THIS . MAYBE I WILL BE READY FOR THE SUMMER GAMES IN TWO YEARS. BUT I WILL BE :cheer :cheer AND :clap AND :yay WITH ALL OF YOU.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!

Archived