Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

yarn_monkey the tent sale sounds like fun.  You never know what you will find.  I always like looking for the older crochet patterns.  I inherited a box of old crochet magazines that I like to look through.  Then I found a book of thread dimensionals----slipper, mouse, fan, etc.  I guess back then you could buy slipper forms to shape them. I surprised my niece and gave her an Easter egg, heart, and leprechan hot  pad today. I have a book with dishcloth patterns so I make two and sew them together.  I don't know if I could get 13 strips to come out close enough the same length for one of those strip afghans or not.  I have a hard enough time getting the two dishcloths close enough.

It was another nice day here.  Sis, niece, dh and I spent the afternoon working in dad's yard again.  He came out for quite awhile which was good because he has gotten awfully weak from sitting around.  We are trying to learn about his lawnmowers, weedeater, etc as we are going to have to take care of his yard.  He also felt good enough that we all went out for supper so it was another good day.  

Brenda

I'm glad he felt well enough to go out for supper

someone in Ca. gifted Rene' a high heel shoe form for using with thread crochet

I could not get the hang of those mam panels,if it was ten,I wound up with ten different lengths,quickly found those not to my liking

and didn't need the frustration

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all,
a nice sunn day here, storms maybe later, but today will be a good one.

I hear ya Linda, the only thing i found I didn't like about the mile a minute ghans, weren't the stripes, believe it or not, it just seemed to take forever to do ONE stripe, and then you had like 12 more or something, they were not quick, i have done several in my lifetime, but probbly won't again, unless I feel really really amibitious, no getting done a mile, in a minute for me!!

Bgs, Glad dad is feeling a bit better, people need sunshine and fresh air, so hoping that does him some good.. We have had all sorts of mowers in my life time, lol starting with the traditional m ower, no bag, then the mower with bag, a mulcher with or without bag, an electric, which i liked, lol, riding mowers with or wthout the muclcher, to the newest, a battery operated one, and out of them all, since our y ard is Not Huge, I liked the electric the best, but since I don't do the lawn, I don't care what he uses, lol......

we do have a battery edger/weed eater, which i do like too, as there is no cord to haul around behind you, or find a plug that will reach the far corners of our yard, lol, and it charges in a half hour, and lasts to a long time....black  and decker me thinks, anyway, that is two years old now, and going as good as new.

our grass isn't long enough here to pull the mower out yet, things are on a slow bloom around here, not much rain, till here recently, Im sure that's it. lol

in May I will get my bedding plants for the container pots, and the hanging pots, and the bedding plants might be big enough to transplant by then, most have the second tier on them, which they reccomend they have, before transplanting into the beds, this year however, we are putting marigolds in, as the rabbits tend to eat our impatients down to nubs, lol they don't like marigolds, not at all, so they will be safe, will put the tastier rabbit food plants in hanging pots, and or deck containers, lol but that is in May, so plenty of time yet.

Nothing much else happening here, so i wish you all a pleasant day, and Ill see you all later!!

hi everybody, glad everything is running rather smoothly, well, all but yarn monkeys elbow, poor thing!!!

got a lot of my charity stuff mailed out yesterday, so I guess it was ok to post pics, I will list the links for you here, and here....lol

Have fun looking, many more hats to make for my local charity, and such, but I have gotten off to a spectacular start!!

I think the preemie afghans were easy for me to do, as they are smaller, and I got to play with colors a lot, lol used mostly balls on them, so a win win situation, huh...

The hats are quick and easy, too, hope you like the pics......I am also getting ready to post some hot pot sitters I finished, had 6 pair to start off with,already gave away three pair, lol, so had to make three more pair for the brunch bunch in a week or so,,, they turned out thick, and neat, I love things, i forbid anyone to put hot pots, or bowls, or casseroles on my counter, so these sure do come in handy for me, at least, I hope the brunch bunch likes them too....... Oh, I here is a pic of the grannys I sent owlvamp, and hope they arrive soon.....6 to a pile.....attachicon.gif003.JPG

Great crochet items, they all turned out lovely!!!

katy I remember we had an April snow/ice storm when my 36 year old nephew was a baby.  It was bad and lots of people lost power.  I kept my nephew during that time because they lost power at his house and we didn't.  He was my version of yarn_monkey's Peanut. It started out cold this am with a little frost on the car.  The sun is out today and it has warmed up nicely.  

yarn_monkey sorry about your elbow.  I hope it gets better soon. Sometimes I get frustrated with hats because I am always using a different weight of yarn so I have to mess with them a lot to come out right.  It made me really appreciate making them on the knifty knitters.  Even using the same loom and using different yarns some hats were snugger than others.  

dragn glad you checked in.

pineknott your bleeding heart sounds gorgeous.  I lost mine along with my bluebells, columbines, and lillies of the valley a few years ago.  The neighbor had a back hoe in to clean old trees out of the fence row and asked dh if he had any on our side he wanted taken out.  I didn't think of my flowers underneath one of the trees until it was too late.  I have been planting lettuce and radishes in flower pots for many years.  They did much better in pots than in our clay.  This year we are gong totally to raised beds.

Raised beds sound lovely... I'm hoping to get our garden tilled this year. Last couple of years we havnt been able to do a garden, have really missed the fresh vegetables!!!

We had a new window put in our bedroom and the wall insulated with new drywall last week, now we have t get all the stuff we have moved put back in place....

Hope everyone's day has been lovely so far! Its been beautiful here the last couple of days

Hi All!  Just a quick hello to let you know that I;m still around.  Sorry that I forgot to give you the link to the bunny purse pattern, but I see that you tracked it down, lol.  The grands loved them, btw!  Grammy did good :hook . 

Take care everyone.  I'll try to get back soon...

Another quick check in here... Still issues with my elbow, of course. 

Sister wound up canceling yesterday because a cookout she thought was today was yesterday. So DH and I went to lunch and after a "what do you want to do?" "I don't know. What do you want to do?" conversation, we just started driving and wound up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, about 2.5 hours away. We had a great time just driving and taking pictures. 

I managed an I hook and tried working on a square for the Moogly CAL last night. Realized today when I went to turn the circle motif into a square, that I'm missing something somewhere and my square isn't so square.  :( Guess I'll be ripping that out tonight! 

Sister and I ran around for a bit today and I haven't gotten much else accomplished. Tomorrow, DH and I are going into Washington DC to see the cherry blossoms. I've never been, so my camera is charging and I'm studying all the metro maps and taking notes and planning our trip! I'm trying to leave late enough to miss our rush hour and the rush hour in DC, but early enough to have plenty of time. Haven't quite gotten it figured out but I'm working on it. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I'll be back tomorrow!  :ghug

Hi all , checking in. I didnt realize that it had been so long since Ive been here :( Those 10 hour days kicked my butt. I made burritos for dinner yesterday, and they were yummy. Ive also been putting some of my squares together, and Im loving how its turning out. Ill try to take a pic after while when the sun comes out. 

Hello again!  Just popping in to say a big Thank you to our wonderful Katie for the very pretty scarves that she sent me for my Compassionate Creations charity.  They are so pretty and soft and cheerful!  Thank you so much Katie!  :hug   I'll try to post a pic later.

pineknott I found an old Lee Wards thread crochet pattern book and it has a slipper in it.  It says to use a slipper form to shape it.  I have noticed a lot of the thread bells say to use a plastic bell for a form and you don't see those anymore.  The other patterns tell you how to make a form out of styrofoam balls and paper.  I don't think I am crafty enough to figure out how to construct a form for that slipper.  I think I bought some plastic slippers in the wedding section to decorate.  I don't suppose I would be lucky enough that one of those would work.   We were glad that dad felt like going out to eat.   He seems to feel a little better the weeks he is not taking chemo wihich was last week.  He is not eating much and has lost a lot of weight but he was heavy to start with.

tribble our garden spot stays pretty wet so by the tmie we could get it worked up it was to the late side to put out a garden. Years ago I started planting radishes and  lettuce in flower pots and planters.  They did so much better than they ever did in our clay.  Last year we never got the garden spot worked up at all so all I had were a few raised beds from kits we bought.  Things did so much better and I could keep the weeds cleaned out of them.  Last fall a friend gave us some of her composite decking from where she had replaced it.  We were able to construct 6 nice sized frames from it.  

katie we are trying to familiarize ourselves with my Dad's equipment.  One of his push mowers is like my sister's and one we have except his has an electric start on it.  He has a huge zero turn mower that is really almost too big to use in his yard but he wanted something heavy enough that it wouldn't turn over with him on the terraces and sometimes he would go mow up at the church.   We haven't messed with it yet.  You can push mow his yard pretty quick but it would be great for out here on our 5 acres.  We haven't mowed yet but it needs it.  It's too wet as it rained yesterday and last night so we have water standing in places.  And I have a big itchy patch on my left wrist and now my chin-------probably my first poison ivy of the year.  

dragn the t-shirt quilt turned out nice

grannyannie glad you checked in.

Hiii all.my oh my, such eye candy, I love it, the dress, the quilt, wow, nice....also nice to hear from you all, andyou certainly are welcome ann for the scarves!! Glad to hear from you too,and lacey, we can't wait to see a pic!!

Oh bgs that sounds like such a daunting task, 5 acres, lol,nice to have except at mowing time, huh! lol

Hello to all others I missed, lol, Lovely day here today,such nice outside weather!!, been a bit on the neglectful side on the inside lately, with such nice weather outside, lol

Ill catch up, it always waits for me, you know!!

you all take care till tomorow, and Ill see then, have a good evening.!

Hi all , checking in. I didnt realize that it had been so long since Ive been here :( Those 10 hour days kicked my butt. I made burritos for dinner yesterday, and they were yummy. Ive also been putting some of my squares together, and Im loving how its turning out. Ill try to take a pic after while when the sun comes out. 

Hello again!  Just popping in to say a big Thank you to our wonderful Katie for the very pretty scarves that she sent me for my Compassionate Creations charity.  They are so pretty and soft and cheerful!  Thank you so much Katie!  :hug   I'll try to post a pic later.

Thought I would show you the t shirt quilt I just finished

attachicon.gif11144776_10152801495466406_604490846_o.jpg

owlvamp, in answer to your questions...

Sandra, in answer to your questions, I think I did till they were 4 dc between the fpdc's, but you can make yours any size you think is right. As for the fronts and backs, same in size, and design, but some of them, have coordinating backs to them, as I ran out of the cotton i used on the front side..Doesn't matter, so long as you are happy with them, they will turn out wonderful!! hope that helps!!

Thought I would show you the t shirt quilt I just finished

attachicon.gif11144776_10152801495466406_604490846_o.jpg

Love this! I saved a bunch of my mom's shirts to make quilts for my sister and I and I'm still trying to figure it out... a master seamstress I am not! Lol!

Here is the picture of the dress. It is a long one. We added the middle piece and the straps.

Oh it's beautiful!  :manyheart

Whew today was busy here! We got up early to get breakfast and head to DC and we got back about 8:30. DH did all the math based on the pedometer thing on his phone and based on that we walked about 7.5 miles!  :yes I am exhausted and sunburned! The first sunny outdoor trip of the year and I get burned every time! Not too bad though, mainly my arms and my chest just above the neck of my shirt. The cherry blossoms were beautiful though! It was totally worth the sunburn and the sore feet and the possible blister on the bottom of my foot! Lol! 

Now we're recovering on the couch and catching up on DVR and my elbow is much better after today (all walking and no elbow use!) so I'm going back to work on the baby ghan, especially now that I'm mad at my Moogly square.  :reyes I looked at it and apparently I messed it up from the very beginning, 7 (dc, ch 1) instead of 8.  :irk Instead of pulling it out and starting over with the same yarn, I'll just use those pieces for scrap grannies and start over completely. I don't want even more ends to weave in on a square that already has a bunch! 

Okay off to work on this baby ghan and maybe finish up that chemo hat I've been trying to get done for days! Hope everyone had a good day!  :ghug

Oh and here's a picture from our day! 

post-11765-0-54732800-1428980297_thumb.jpg

Yarn_monkey, I hope your elbow is in perfect condition soon....

dragnlady5, I adore your tshirt quilt!!! I have a lot saved up from my son, but don't even know how to begin on it...

owlvamp, Gorgeous dress!

Yarn monkey,

your post on your trip reminded me of the time we lived in Md.I was so excited that I was close enough that we would see the cherry trees in bloom,well a storm blew through and the blossoms were gone,no trip

our next set of orders were to where??? ta da Yokohama Japan,I got to see the blooming cherry trees from the original place

D.C. is such a nice place to visit! I have been there many many times for work reasons.

Beautiful dress and t-shirt quilt. My neice wants me to make her a t-shirt quilt for her high school graduation gift.

Even though I have a year to do it...I better get crackin on it. :rofl

Have a great day everyone!!

Love this! I saved a bunch of my mom's shirts to make quilts for my sister and I and I'm still trying to figure it out... a master seamstress I am not! Lol!

Whew today was busy here! We got up early to get breakfast and head to DC and we got back about 8:30. DH did all the math based on the pedometer thing on his phone and based on that we walked about 7.5 miles!  :yes I am exhausted and sunburned! The first sunny outdoor trip of the year and I get burned every time! Not too bad though, mainly my arms and my chest just above the neck of my shirt. The cherry blossoms were beautiful though! It was totally worth the sunburn and the sore feet and the possible blister on the bottom of my foot! Lol! 

Now we're recovering on the couch and catching up on DVR and my elbow is much better after today (all walking and no elbow use!) so I'm going back to work on the baby ghan, especially now that I'm mad at my Moogly square.  :reyes I looked at it and apparently I messed it up from the very beginning, 7 (dc, ch 1) instead of 8.  :irk Instead of pulling it out and starting over with the same yarn, I'll just use those pieces for scrap grannies and start over completely. I don't want even more ends to weave in on a square that already has a bunch! 

Okay off to work on this baby ghan and maybe finish up that chemo hat I've been trying to get done for days! Hope everyone had a good day!  :ghug

attachicon.gifSAM_1049.JPG

Yarn_monkey, I hope your elbow is in perfect condition soon....

dragnlady5, I adore your tshirt quilt!!! I have a lot saved up from my son, but don't even know how to begin on it...

owlvamp, Gorgeous dress!

Not as hard as you think. I just lined the peices up and sewed then together. instead of using batting and having to tack it down i used those cheap flannel blankets you get for like five bucks at walmart. then she bought the backing she wanted put it on the trimmed it.   if you  set your mind to it you can both it. this was my first one and I just have basic knowledge of sewing

hi everyone!! my what a trip, our tree is blooming now too, in fact the whole township here, have blooming flowering trees, its so pretty, but as is also well know, the first rain, always takes them down, they seldom last more than a day or two....

Pineknot, that is so cool, japan, I have another friend, that lived there too, for a couple years I think, her hubby was stationed there as well, and she has some stories, let me tell ya.. lol

dragnlady5, yarnscrapper, tribble, and all the rest, n ice to see your posts too...

Attention, please read..... I was thinking of doing another give a way, this time for some pastel 6 inch squares, and thought I would run this past you all here in this thread first, for an opinion or such.. lol I have a bout 15 of them, I didn't use in the ghan i am putting together now, these are  pastels, and didn't use any in current project, so I thought I would put them in groups of 5, and chose three winners, what do you all think, are any of you interested in 6 inch pastels, do you think anyone else on the forums might be??  I thought three winners, first chosen winner picks her pile of 5, second winner, has two piles to chose from, and the third winner, gets the lone remaining pile, sounds ok to me, course I will picture all the piles on there too?? Do you think that would be an ok idea, i know I won't use them, Im done for a while with baby ghans, lol and hate to keep them, when someone else might just love to have them,....I may or may not also have a couple piles later, of other squares i made, the remainder of other projects done, or experiements in color, and or design,so, thought I would try it out first with these pretty pastels.....Lemme know your opinions, I would love to see what you think.....pretty please and thank you!!

attachicon.gifSAM_1049.JPG

Yarn monkey,

your post on your trip reminded me of the time we lived in Md.I was so excited that I was close enough that we would see the cherry trees in bloom,well a storm blew through and the blossoms were gone,no trip

our next set of orders were to where??? ta da Yokohama Japan,I got to see the blooming cherry trees from the original place

yarn_monkey beautiful photo.  It sounds like you had a nice but exhausting day.  I hope your elbow gets better soon.  

owlvamp that's a really pretty dress.  The pattern katy has been using has become my favorite for potholders..  I just completed a couple of sets and made mine with 7 rounds (6 stitches between the spokes).  They measure out at 7 1/2 inches after I single crochet around the edge to attach the two together.  They are nice and thick.  You can easily adjust the size by the number of rounds done.  

dragon that was so clever of you to use a fleece blanket.  Seems like someone told me that when she did one in a class they used an iron on stabilizer of some sort on the t-shirt so they didn't stretch so much which made it easier to work with.  

katie 5 acres is a lot come mowing day. The older we get the harder it has become to take care of things here. I have set out flowers but its hard to keep the weeds cleaned out.  Even when the ground is wet they are hard to pull out of this clay.  There's always something that needs to be done--cut down trees, trim brush, mow, weeding, etc. Yesterday I met up with Mr. blacksnake crossing the driveway headed for the woodpile and today one of the huge snapping turtles was enroute from the neighbor's pond to ours.  I have been hearing a couple of owls at night.  We got a good look at one back in the winter. It had snowed and one was perched in a tree near the house and we got to see it fly from one tree to another one.   Deer,turkey, raccoons, and opposums are common sights and well I have to put a fence around green beans when I plant them as the rabbits will decimate them. We have a mockingbird that we have heard singing out here at 2 or 3 in the morning.  I have seen several woodpeckers and in the spring Baltimore orioles. The hummingbirds are my favorite though.  There are several in this area as my neighbor fed them many years before I moved out here.  That reminds me I should go ahead and get my feeder up as they should be back within the next two weeks.  Just a thought on those pastel squares you know you could add a few rounds of a bright or darker color.   That really changes the look of them so that they just don't scream baby colors.    But I am sure someone would be glad to get them if you decide to give them away

Archived