Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used an h, and I counted today, and there are 5 dc between the post stitches, and measure, well, i forgot to measure them, lol, sorry, will do that tomorrow....I would love to see pics of you and bgs potsitters, have you posted them on here somewhere yet, lol.

and thanks, i think i will put the pastels up though, otherwise, I would have to make more.....lol and I don't wanna do that for a while, so someone else might be able to use them now, to finsih something, or start something, lol look for that post, maybe tomorrow, I got them on my camera, but not on the computer yet.Im am trying to get some of this back stock of stuff, up and out, lol, so those 15 gone, will help a little bit. lol both me and someone else maybe.  

all for now, Im gonna catch the news soon, and call it a day!! Night all.

Yarn_monkey, I hope your elbow is in perfect condition soon....

dragnlady5, I adore your tshirt quilt!!! I have a lot saved up from my son, but don't even know how to begin on it...

owlvamp, Gorgeous dress!

I think the rest it got yesterday while my legs were doing all the work really helped it! There's just a little ache when I straighten it all the way but nothing nearly like it was! Yay! 

Yarn monkey,

your post on your trip reminded me of the time we lived in Md.I was so excited that I was close enough that we would see the cherry trees in bloom,well a storm blew through and the blossoms were gone,no trip

our next set of orders were to where??? ta da Yokohama Japan,I got to see the blooming cherry trees from the original place

I was really worried because we've gotten a good amount of rain lately so I checked the National Park Service's live cherry blossom cam online the day before we went and everything still looked good so I figured we'd go for it. Yesterday was the only really good weather and sunny day for the whole of the Peak Bloom period and I'm so glad we got to go! I can't even imagine being able to see them in Japan. 

Not as hard as you think. I just lined the peices up and sewed then together. instead of using batting and having to tack it down i used those cheap flannel blankets you get for like five bucks at walmart. then she bought the backing she wanted put it on the trimmed it.   if you  set your mind to it you can both it. this was my first one and I just have basic knowledge of sewing

I think I'm just going to suck it up and figure it out. As long as it stays together, it doesn't have to look like the most amazing t-shirt quilt ever- Sister and I will be happy to have them either way. They're better in a quilt than in a trash bag in storage! I just need to figure out how to use the sewing machine...  :think

hi everyone!! my what a trip, our tree is blooming now too, in fact the whole township here, have blooming flowering trees, its so pretty, but as is also well know, the first rain, always takes them down, they seldom last more than a day or two....

Pineknot, that is so cool, japan, I have another friend, that lived there too, for a couple years I think, her hubby was stationed there as well, and she has some stories, let me tell ya.. lol

dragnlady5, yarnscrapper, tribble, and all the rest, n ice to see your posts too...

Attention, please read..... I was thinking of doing another give a way, this time for some pastel 6 inch squares, and thought I would run this past you all here in this thread first, for an opinion or such.. lol I have a bout 15 of them, I didn't use in the ghan i am putting together now, these are  pastels, and didn't use any in current project, so I thought I would put them in groups of 5, and chose three winners, what do you all think, are any of you interested in 6 inch pastels, do you think anyone else on the forums might be??  I thought three winners, first chosen winner picks her pile of 5, second winner, has two piles to chose from, and the third winner, gets the lone remaining pile, sounds ok to me, course I will picture all the piles on there too?? Do you think that would be an ok idea, i know I won't use them, Im done for a while with baby ghans, lol and hate to keep them, when someone else might just love to have them,....I may or may not also have a couple piles later, of other squares i made, the remainder of other projects done, or experiements in color, and or design,so, thought I would try it out first with these pretty pastels.....Lemme know your opinions, I would love to see what you think.....pretty please and thank you!!

I think that's a really great idea! I know lots of people could put them to use! Let us know when/where you decide to post them.  :)

We didn't get into much today. It was rainy and yucky so we just went to the grocery store and came back and relaxed after all the excitement yesterday. It's just as well, my legs needed a rest!  :yes  So I got a chemo cap done and another strip for the baby ghan and I'm about to start the next chemo cap now so I can get a little done before bed. 

Tomorrow I'm going out with Sister and Peanut to a consignment sale. Sister could use some new clothes after having the baby and all those changes and I'm not going to lie, I just like to shop.  :D The group who does it had a contest on their Facebook page and I won a 20% off coupon. I'll take what I can get! 

I hope everyone is having a good week so far. I'm off to work on the next chemo cap!  :ghug

Good morning looks like its gonna be a beautiful day here, and I am sure I will sleep most of it away.. If we make plans sometimes I can get myself up after a couple hour nap.. Have a great day all!!!

bgs what size hook did you use? Mine are 8 1/2". I have 6 single crochet in between too. I have made 5 of them and love them. I love the way they look. SO will be making more of these for Christmas gifts too.

I used a G hook.

I used an h, and I counted today, and there are 5 dc between the post stitches, and measure, well, i forgot to measure them, lol, sorry, will do that tomorrow....I would love to see pics of you and bgs potsitters, have you posted them on here somewhere yet, lol.

and thanks, i think i will put the pastels up though, otherwise, I would have to make more.....lol and I don't wanna do that for a while, so someone else might be able to use them now, to finsih something, or start something, lol look for that post, maybe tomorrow, I got them on my camera, but not on the computer yet.Im am trying to get some of this back stock of stuff, up and out, lol, so those 15 gone, will help a little bit. lol both me and someone else maybe.  

all for now, Im gonna catch the news soon, and call it a day!! Night all.

I just finished  the first set on Mon and have not taken any photos.

Rains showers off and on today but I managed to cut down some multiflora rose that is taking over. I am keeping a cut off sock on my arm and sleeping with socks over my hands to keep from spreading my poison ivy any more.  It looks like I am breaking out on my thigh now.  

oh poor bgs, poison ivy, never had it, but know people that have, are you using something on it besides the socks I mean, like lotion or salve, they say calamine lotion is good, relieves the itching, I sure you know the best things though, sounds like this is not your first rodeo with poison ivy, lol

Yarnmonkey, glad the elbow  is better, don't overdo it, once in a while I get a sore shoulder, and have to limit my crochet to simple easy short things, lol, get better fast!!

all else, nice day here today too, with the trees in full bloom, the nose is too, lol so taking some allergy pills to combat that myself..

well all, i am tired tonight, so I will sign off shortly, and  see you all tomorrow, have a great tomorrow!!!! :ghug

I used a G hook.

I just finished  the first set on Mon and have not taken any photos.

Rains showers off and on today but I managed to cut down some multiflora rose that is taking over. I am keeping a cut off sock on my arm and sleeping with socks over my hands to keep from spreading my poison ivy any more.  It looks like I am breaking out on my thigh now.  

I used to get poison ivy a lot when I was a kid. We lived in the country and I was always outside and into everything. My grandmother would coat me in calamine lotion or camphophenique (or however you spell it). I think summer days I was coated more often than not! And I'm really bad about scratching to this day. DH gets so mad at me! I hope your poison ivy goes away soon so you don't have to keep dealing with it! 

oh poor bgs, poison ivy, never had it, but know people that have, are you using something on it besides the socks I mean, like lotion or salve, they say calamine lotion is good, relieves the itching, I sure you know the best things though, sounds like this is not your first rodeo with poison ivy, lol

Yarnmonkey, glad the elbow  is better, don't overdo it, once in a while I get a sore shoulder, and have to limit my crochet to simple easy short things, lol, get better fast!!

all else, nice day here today too, with the trees in full bloom, the nose is too, lol so taking some allergy pills to combat that myself..

well all, i am tired tonight, so I will sign off shortly, and  see you all tomorrow, have a great tomorrow!!!! :ghug

I'm trying to be good but now that I'm 99% better, I can't put down my hooks! Lol! 

I went to Sister's today so we could go to the consignment sale. They didn't have a whole lot but I did find a dress for $6.70, including tax and after my coupon. I figure that's a pretty good deal! I may even try to sell some of my stuff with them the next time they come around. I have so much and whatever doesn't sell, you can tell them if you want them to donate it or if you want to come back and pick it up. I'll see how much trouble it is and decide from there. 

DH and I went for Mexican for dinner (Sister always wears me out, so it's usually easy meals after a visit lol) and I've been working on my baby ghan and my chemo hats. Almost done with another hat and 2 more strips to do for the afghan. I should have enough of this baby yarn leftover to make at least one more ghan from it, so I'm just trying to decide if it will be another mile a minute or a corner to corner. Decisions decisions!  :)

Oh and I heard from snowbear! She's been in and out of the hospital lately for various reasons, but she's home now and will hopefully check in with us soon. And I haven't heard a lot from sopo but I do know she's got another group of hedgehog babies coming before long. I'm not really sure if they're a litter like cats and dogs or what?  :think

Tomorrow DH and I are running to Costco for a couple things and I'll make dinner and then there's nothing else on the agenda. I'm looking forward to another relaxing day!  :yes I hope everyone else has a good day!  :hug

more hedgie babies, wow!! Hope she's back to show us soon!!   and as for ms. snowbear, glad she is doing better and home recooping as well, and will visit us soon.

I just heard from one of the gals on here too, that i donated some things to that she broke her ankle in three places!! Poor thing, hope for her a speedy recovery, as i personally know, long recoveries are not fun!! 

Ill be back, wanna post those squares for give away....

katy I have all kinds of lotions and potions.  I am allergic to talc.  I had to wear gloves working in the lab and in the beginning they all contained powder (talc).  My hands were raw by the end of my shift.  Talc is in a lot of  makeup, deoderants, and even some pills besides being the carrier agent for many powdered garden chemicals.  I am allergic to some laundry detergents especially the dry ones with bleach or oxyclean.  Most band-aids break me out.   Way back when we always used the calamine lotion (pink stuff) on poison ivy.  I was glad when I found the clear caladryl for it as I hated the pink stuff all over everything.  Now I use a clear spray Ivy Dry.  If I know I have been in poison ivy I always go in and wash really well which is the best. This time I really don't know when I was exposed.   I know you are not supposed to but my favorite thing to do when it is itching really bad is to bleach it.  I don't seem to be allergic to regular beach.  I sleep with the socks on my hands because it really helps keep me from spreading it.  

yarn_monkey thanks for the updates on snowbear and sopo.  I hope they feel like coming back soon.  

Good morning all.  Not much going on here. I'm still plugging away on the baby blanket. I don't think I'll get it done in time for the baby shower, however, I can give it to them when the baby is born. I'm out of town this weekend so I'll be back on-line later.  Have a great day and weekend everyone!!

oh my, sandra, those turned out just perfect!! godo job!! 

I spent part of the day, writting up a pattern, you know, out of the big box of pieces i have to write patterns for from my notes, lol, anyway, will work on getting that typed us asap, if time permits, and maybe start on yet another one, I dunno, they all look so pretty, I just want to keep them till I make another just like it, lol

sumac is bad, i hear, so you were a Joisey Goil huh linda, that is cool, did you have that joisey accent, and drink Longa Iland ice teas, lol.   that is really all i know about Jersey... (forgive the bad accent,) lol

Ok yarnscrapper, we will see you when you return then I guess, have a safe trip....

don't know much more, nice day, rain maybe  later, don't know for sure, they don't either, they just guess, Im sure, lol

talk to you all a bit later, gonna run for now!!!!!!

Sandra love your potholders.  Some of yours look just like mine.  I mades some in the rust, tan, and brown.  I also pulled a spool of the green and purple out like you made but haven't started on it yet.  I decided to make squares for your midnight brights projects.  I must crochet tight as I had to jump up to a J hook and try to crochet loose.  I posted in the other thread so you can get me in the tally.

pineknott I really hope I don't spread it around my eyes.   I think I had a blister or two of it on my chin and I found a couple of new blisters on the back of my hand.  I think the blisters on my forearm have gone down but it is red and splotchy

We had a sunny day but it is supposed to rain again tonight.  It was dry enough in some places that dh started mowing.  Next thing I knew he came in needing my help.  He got the lawn tractor horribly stuck in the mud.  I mean with the deck raised the deck was down in the mud.  The back tires were buried half way up the wheels.  We worked and worked and finally got it out by putting boards under both the back wheels and me pulling on it with a rope.  I put the rope around my waist and just laid back on it with all my weight.  it was so muddy my feet would sink down in the mud and it was hard to get them back out of it.  Such a mess but we finally got it out.  I don't see how he got as far over into the super wet area as muddy as the area was he crossed to get there---------must have been day dreaming and cruising at full speed.  Needless to say I am already sore.  

I accomplished a lot today. I did finish 2 more hot pads and then cleaned up the yard.

Cleaned off the patio part. Got all the dead leafs and weeds gone swept it all off and it looks awesome.

Tomorrow is prom! So need to get the car cleaned and vaccum out. Probably will wash it too.

Can't forget to pick up her flowers tomorrow. Most likely will check in tomorrow night. We will be doing her hair and nails.

Oh yeah we also will be doing the make up.

Hi Squares!  Just a quick hello!  Seems to be my regular lately.  One of these days I'm going to surprise you and spend the whole day here.  You'll be begging me to go away, lol!  Not much new going on in my world.  I think spring has finally arrived!  The snow has almost all melted away, at least in the yard where it's visable.  I don't know about in the woods.  Oh!  hubby saw a bobcat walk past our side door the other day!  Yikes!  I know that they've been around but that's a bit too close for comfort.  We use that door all the time.Darn, I wish I would have seen it too though, lol.  Well, just realized I missed my evening meds, oops,  gotta run then and take them before it gets too late. 

Oh, I saw a beautiful dress, and hmmm, there was something else I was going to say too.  The old memory is gone!  Owlvamp, enjoy the goings on of prom tomorrow!  Will be looking for pics!!!!

Take care all.  Even if I'm not here, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.... :hug

They look great! I'm starting to get the itch to make more hotpads now...  :)

Good morning all.  Not much going on here. I'm still plugging away on the baby blanket. I don't think I'll get it done in time for the baby shower, however, I can give it to them when the baby is born. I'm out of town this weekend so I'll be back on-line later.  Have a great day and weekend everyone!!

Have a safe trip and enjoy your weekend away!  :hug

Sandra love your potholders.  Some of yours look just like mine.  I mades some in the rust, tan, and brown.  I also pulled a spool of the green and purple out like you made but haven't started on it yet.  I decided to make squares for your midnight brights projects.  I must crochet tight as I had to jump up to a J hook and try to crochet loose.  I posted in the other thread so you can get me in the tally.

pineknott I really hope I don't spread it around my eyes.   I think I had a blister or two of it on my chin and I found a couple of new blisters on the back of my hand.  I think the blisters on my forearm have gone down but it is red and splotchy

We had a sunny day but it is supposed to rain again tonight.  It was dry enough in some places that dh started mowing.  Next thing I knew he came in needing my help.  He got the lawn tractor horribly stuck in the mud.  I mean with the deck raised the deck was down in the mud.  The back tires were buried half way up the wheels.  We worked and worked and finally got it out by putting boards under both the back wheels and me pulling on it with a rope.  I put the rope around my waist and just laid back on it with all my weight.  it was so muddy my feet would sink down in the mud and it was hard to get them back out of it.  Such a mess but we finally got it out.  I don't see how he got as far over into the super wet area as muddy as the area was he crossed to get there---------must have been day dreaming and cruising at full speed.  Needless to say I am already sore.  

Oh my goodness! The lawnmower sounds like a mess! I'm glad you got it unstuck and I hope you won't be too sore tomorrow. And more than that, I hope the poison ivy starts to go away soon! It's an awful thing to itch like that and know you really shouldn't scratch it! 

I accomplished a lot today. I did finish 2 more hot pads and then cleaned up the yard.

Cleaned off the patio part. Got all the dead leafs and weeds gone swept it all off and it looks awesome.

Tomorrow is prom! So need to get the car cleaned and vaccum out. Probably will wash it too.

Can't forget to pick up her flowers tomorrow. Most likely will check in tomorrow night. We will be doing her hair and nails.

Oh yeah we also will be doing the make up.

Eek! Prom! I went to my senior prom and loved getting all done up and made up and dressed up! I had a big white dress because I thought that was the thing to wear white to your senior prom, turned out I was the only one in white, but I loved it nonetheless! I can't wait to hear all about it!  :yes

Hi Squares!  Just a quick hello!  Seems to be my regular lately.  One of these days I'm going to surprise you and spend the whole day here.  You'll be begging me to go away, lol!  Not much new going on in my world.  I think spring has finally arrived!  The snow has almost all melted away, at least in the yard where it's visable.  I don't know about in the woods.  Oh!  hubby saw a bobcat walk past our side door the other day!  Yikes!  I know that they've been around but that's a bit too close for comfort.  We use that door all the time.Darn, I wish I would have seen it too though, lol.  Well, just realized I missed my evening meds, oops,  gotta run then and take them before it gets too late. 

Oh, I saw a beautiful dress, and hmmm, there was something else I was going to say too.  The old memory is gone!  Owlvamp, enjoy the goings on of prom tomorrow!  Will be looking for pics!!!!

Take care all.  Even if I'm not here, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.... :hug

A bobcat!!  :eek  I think that would scare the pants right off of me! My dad has coyotes at his house and to hear them howl is just so creepy! My grandmother has bears. One time when I was staying with her, my uncle came running in the kitchen saying "come quick come quick there's a bear!" so my grandmother and I ran to the front porch and you could hear the bear across the driveway in the woods, grunting and sounding like it was trying to climb up in the trees. When we could tell it was getting close, back in the house we went and then here comes Mama and a baby running across the driveway and through the side yard! We all just about fell out! 

DH and I didn't do a whole lot today... a trip to Walmart for a couple necessities and a trip to Joann's so we could pick out some fabric for me to make curtain tiebacks for the spare bedrooms. DH's sister and her family are coming in June for a week so we're trying to get curtains up since it gets so bright in those rooms. We didn't bother for my dad when he visited because he's up before the sun every morning anyway. Of course, I picked out the fabric, got it cut, paid and was out the door before I realized I forgot the little plastic rings I need to pull them back to the hooks. Oh well, I'll get them put together and then worry about the hooks. Then DH went to the driving range so I just sat out in the sun and nice weather and read a book. Man, I missed the sun! I'm a happy girl in this weather!!  :sun  :nworthy

Tomorrow, Sister and Peanut will be here about noon and we'll head out to meet our grandmother and uncle for lunch about an hour away. We haven't seen them since Peanut's birthday party and we can't wait. It's always exciting to see what our grandmother will bring us too because she always comes loaded down. I know there's at least a ham or two and BBQ chicken because she found the hams on sale and during the summer the local churches and fire departments always have BBQ chicken for sale early Saturday mornings. I miss that chicken dearly every Saturday. When I was young, my dad used to go out early and buy us all chicken halves and I'd sit in front of the Saturday morning cartoons and have the chicken for breakfast. 

I've got another chemo hat about halfway done. That one will make 6 and I think I've got at least 4 more planned right out the gate. And I got all my strips done for the first baby ghan and 6 of them attached, so 7 more to go! Hopefully that will be done tomorrow night. 

Well I'm off to get some more work done on these projects. I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow and I'll be back tomorrow night!  :ghug

poor bgs, first poison ivy, now the tractor, poor thing, glad it's over with, hope you didn't pull anything...

Oh prom, good memories there, daughter dated a boy from a diff school mostly through high school, so she got to go to his prom,and homecoming, and he came to her prom and homecoming, which meant to her anyway, a diff dress for each!!! Sheesh, and we'd go and get her hair done, pull out jewlery chest, find just the perfect earrings, and necklace, heels to match, and a cute little clutch, sometimes in our weather here, a beautiful shawl for her most usually bare shoulders, lol It was such fun!! Prom wasn't ever any better, than reliving it through one's daughter!!!

Yarnmonkey,you have been a busy bee, and I do so hate bears, they are terribly mean, and can eat people,lol We have cougars, around here sometimes, you just catch a glimpse, so we don't leave our dog out alone, never have, she's in the fence, but one of us is always watching from the deck,you know, then we have red fox, some coyotes Im sure, as once you hear that sound,  you don't soon forget what they sound like, raccoons, oppossums, rabbit, hawks, lots of birdies, and beavers at the lake, ducks, wild turkeys, sheesh,we feel like the intruders to mother nature's critters often!! you name it, we've seen it, even deer come rather close, for deer i mean, lol they eat the bark off the trees sometimes....

I do like nature, but i do draw the line on anything that can and wll harm me, lol and i like to see it through windows, not up close and personal, he he he..Im quite sure that if i lived in the mountains or woods or soemthing, I would'nt get any sleep at all, thinking of all the critters, with just a wall between us,,,,,gives me shivers i tell ya!!

Ann,good to see you posting, and hoping you are getting to feel a bit better, stay on top of those meds,lol and get plenty of rest, but post when you can, we do enjoy your posts!!

Keeping busy on my charity things still, but may is right around the corner, and our birthday girls this month, so far anyway, are Owlvamp, and Pineknott!!! I intend to get started on that,at the crack of May,lol

so all for now,Ill  come back later, and check on ya all!!!   

oh bgs, forgot to mention this to you, our zoo, Henry Doorley zoo, was all over you tube , might still be, Il'l look for that link for you, but a huge gorilla, rushed the glass wall in an attempt to go after a little girl and her family. Seems she was just funnin, and beating her chest with her fists, like they do you know,and that gorilla didn't like the challenge, so he rushed the glass, cracked one layer, (it is 3 or 4 layers of glass) and put a crack in it, on the people side, not on his side, sheesh!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the gorillas, always have, and have always thought them to be too aggressive for my taste, lol that's all, Ill look for that link,ill be back.

i saw it on our local news channel, here is that link.   scarey!!

Archived