Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Good Morning everyone, I am feeling better. I just got to rest a lot. I have Temporal Lobe Cyst in my brain. Don't know what the DRS are going to do yet. Just letting you all know. Will be on here when I am not resting. When I can I will send square to who evers birthday it is. If I am able to crochet. I stay dizzy, headaches a lot.  I will try next month on birthday squares. You all take care. I am going to rest now. Your friend always, Arlene :ghug

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowbear, take care of yourself and get better, :hug and prayers for you.

I'm around, DD had the worst case of pink eye I've ever seen, and is just now getting better. I'm starting to feel normal again as I was up for over 3 days without sleep taking care of her and working. I'm good now as I've sleep for 12 hours straight:)

I am off to get ready and when the boys get home from school today they will go to their mom's. Most the time I dread Friday's. One day I hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this. Both boy's are doing good in school. From where they came from and how far I have we have came is awesome. It's been a lot of work. From calling to going to the school and many many countless hours there should be no way they shouldn't pass.

Glad to hear that they're both doing well in school now. They have been lucky to have you to bat for them! Even if not now (yeah, kids are kids...), one day they're going to look back and be so grateful that you did what you did.

:hug for sopo 

owlvamp its so good to hear how much better the boys are doing now

It's been cloudy and cool with a few sprinkles today which is a good thing because they said if the sun came out and it warmed up our chances of tornadic weather would greatly increase for this weekend.  

These are my katy inspired hotpads.

attachicon.gifDSCF0032.JPG

These two are what prompted my niece to ask where the Easter one was.

.attachicon.gifDSCF0033.JPG

So I made these.

attachicon.gifDSCF0029.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF0030.JPG

Then she said somethng about flower ones for summer so I made her these.

attachicon.gifDSCF0031.JPG

Those are fantastic!! All these hotpad pictures are making me want to use up the last bits and pieces of my cotton on some. Is there a pattern somewhere for the round ones? I thought I had figured out in my head how to do it, but I realised I'm not sure how to keep them round! Though I just realised that as long as the increase isn't in the same spot each time, that should manage the problem, really....

Boys mom called tonight.

They were in an accident. Everyone is okay. I guess it was a hit and run. SHe was stopped at a stop sign and the guy hit her on her side and kept going. The car was smoking and she got the boys out. The oldest is bruised but okay. Youngest is okay as well just with a bump on his head from mom pulling him out. They could only get out on the drivers side. I will worry the rest of the weekend until they are back in my arms and home. It's not her fault and they did get the driver but charged him and let him drive off. What the heck? The EMS sain he has been on the job today for 2 hours and he's already went to 4 accidents. Looks like it will be a crazy night for him.

Good night all.

Glad everyone was safe!

Good Morning everyone, I am feeling better. I just got to rest a lot. I have Temporal Lobe Cyst in my brain. Don't know what the DRS are going to do yet. Just letting you all know. Will be on here when I am not resting. When I can I will send square to who evers birthday it is. If I am able to crochet. I stay dizzy, headaches a lot.  I will try next month on birthday squares. You all take care. I am going to rest now. Your friend always, Arlene :ghug

*fierce hugs* I'm glad you at least have a diagnosis now. Keep taking care of yourself and hope you're doing better soon. I hope you're able to get some crochet time in sometime, just for your sake - I know I get ten kinds of frustrated when physical problems keep me from doing something I love, so I hope you can get a little in just to relax. If not though, still no worries! You know we care about your health more than all the squares in the world. :manyheart

Still pretty quiet here. I bought a ton of plants at the farmer's market today (ok, maybe not a ton, but more than I was expecting :lol ) And so far this is proving just to be a lazy afternoon. I got a nap already, little guy started his nap when I did (he wanted to sleep on top of the blanket chest for some reason - this was after I told him he couldn't sleep on the floor in the bathroom closet because the kitty potty used to be there), DH came in to start his nap just as I was getting up, and at that point LV came into our room, crawled up on the bed, and almost immediately fell back asleep again. It was so cute; the cat was sitting on my lap as I finished waking up, and when I moved him and stood up he curled right back up against LV's head, and he reached out one hand to pat his back and then passed out with his hand still on the cat's fur. And the cat didn't seem to mind because I don't think he's moved!

Bread is baking in the oven and smells delicious. I think he said this is malt-raisin bread? Don't quite remember. Yesterday we went to a fondue restaurant for a special event they were having; the first time we've gone out just for an evening together since having a kid! We've had a couple of vacations without him, when our parents stayed with him, but we've never had just a normal sitter to let us go out for dinner or something. It was delicious. Cheese fondue, and then you could your own entree in the fondue pot on the table, and then the chocolate part. Oh, the chocolate was amazing. We have to go back sometime. And part of the special was a $20 gift certificate we can use when we go back as a couple! Yum. ^_^ I think I'm going to go do some yarn now; just have to decide what....

wow sandra, that is horrible, glad the kids made it ok but what an upsetting thing to happen to anyone, huh glad the boys will be with you again soon.

Lacey,and snowbear, healing thoughts headed your way, and for daughter too lacey, sheesh, snowbear, so sorry to hear of your illness, do keep us all up to date,and take it easy too please..

nothing much here to report,did a scarf yesterday, and almost have two adult hats done, lol, i don't care for making adult hats, they take so long, and ya da ya da, lol but i m ake them,cause they need them I guess... They reccoment too, darker colors, for the mens hats,and maybe that is what bothers me about it, lol I number one, don't much like darker colors to work with,and number two, it stifles my spidey sense of color,lol    so tht is probably why, but good way to use up a few odd skeins of darks,that I would probably never use otherwise,you know.  

Yarn monkey, you'll find your "piece" for your outfit, and I hope you have fun at the mall with the food trucks, lol

guess that's it for now, gotta few things to do y et, take care all... :yes

yeah, we all need to remember, this is open to the public, hard to believe sometimes as it seems like such a close knit family..

oh such a day today, not one of my best either, but it is almost over for now, and tomorrow  will start fresh again, can't ever take back the bad stuff that happens I guess, but we learn from it and move on, it's all we can do. 

in fact, this whole weekend has been rather taxing for some of us, but look on the bright side, if you can see it through the rain clouds, lol and carry on I guess...

i haven't seen angel, nor kimgoodie, nor holly for a while,wonder how those girls are doing, and sopo, and snowbear, good to see your posts, it cheered us all up..... :clap

Lacey how are you feeling now, any better??

take care all, and healing vibes for all in  need  tonight.. :ghug

Just checking in... Was busy at work so didn't get to check in those days then at home we are having mower issues so have spent my off days outside... Back to the mower hope all is well with everyone have a wonderful day!!!!!

Still very tired but slowly getting back to normal. I worked on my Sophie's Universe for a while yesterday then took a nap. I am excited to put some new colors into it but I still have a few more rows before I do it. I've been neglecting my magic ball SU and she's staring at me waiting impatiently to be picked up.

Hey, everyone, I am doing better, Just got to take it easy. Will be in and out on here. I will be reading. Maybe not chatting to much. I keep headaches, dizzy. I have to rest a lot. I will be in and out from time to time, Will be reading a lot what you all are saying, though. i love you all.  It great to have good friends. Take care you all. I will go rest and read emails. And see what everyone else is talking about. Love ya'll! :manyheart  :ty

owlvamp so glad your boys were not  hurt in the accident.  The light hotpad was a free one I think I found it through ravelry.  I will have to look it up.later.

viking the round hotpad is the beginning part of a square and instead of squaring it off you just keep adding rounds.  The beauty of it is that the post stitches are the increases.  i don't have the link handy but it is at the Red Heart site and the afghan is called Monkey Around Baby Blanket.  This is now officially my favorite potholder to make.  

Worked in my Dad's again over the weekend and worked in mine today.  I won't get much else done today as I have a migraine coming on.  I don't get them often---maybe every 2 or 3 years but when it hits I can't do anything but lay down.  

whoosh,this day went fast,and I even got up with the birds too, didn't feel that i got all my zzz"s last night though, oh well, tonight is maybe going to be  better night,eh...

I think that light bulb potholder is in a book I have  too, just don'tknow which one right now, but I have seen it before, and of course I have one tht bgs sent me,llol,reminds me, it's still on the fridge,lol with a magnetic clippy thing,lol, been there I  think since I got it,kind of a last late reminder of Christmas past...lol

Do you all turn your granny squares, i don't,normally, unless it'a a bigger one,and then I might to prevent the wonkiness,but normally, grannys are worked in the round right,and to me that means,you don't have to turn,but the nature of the stitches, to make anything larger than say an 8 inch,might need to be turned every other row.Let me know what your thoughts are on this,Imean,who else to ask,but the grannysquare pros,lol right,.

seems this keyboard, doesn'tlike to keep up with me when I am typing faster, and I spend more time back spacing and hitting the space bar again, lol....Guess  i will slow down, sit up straight,and take it easy, or get a new keyboard, ha ha ha.

This one I have is sealed, nothing, dust or dirt is supposed to get in where the keys are, so I know it's not that, and it lights up, in four pretty colors, lololol So I guess it's just me typing too fast, lol......better now that I have slowed down a bit..

I used to type so fast, i could keep up with my boss's dictation, lol, he would be amazed that I could do that, ha ha,.

I never learned short hand, seemed to me to be on it's way out by the time i was ready for it, so skipped that dumb class, and took speed typing instead, ha ha ha.

Ok, what else, did you all see on the news, the man that was training an aligator, and it turned and bit his helper, my thoughts on this, if you put yourself in harms way, just makes it easy for harm to find you. right, duh!! :no

Oh aligators have their good side, the left side on my bag,and the right side on my feet!!! ha ha ha, bad joke,forgive me.. I don't wear furs either, lol don't get me started! lol

all for now, hope this finds you all in good moods, and hookin away by the light of the tv, and the setting sun!!!!! lol allfornow.... :yes .

Hey, everyone, I am doing better, Just got to take it easy. Will be in and out on here. I will be reading. Maybe not chatting to much. I keep headaches, dizzy. I have to rest a lot. I will be in and out from time to time, Will be reading a lot what you all are saying, though. i love you all.  It great to have good friends. Take care you all. I will go rest and read emails. And see what everyone else is talking about. Love ya'll!  

Good to hear from you, Arlene! I'm glad you're feeling better!  :hug  :manyheart

whoosh,this day went fast,and I even got up with the birds too, didn't feel that i got all my zzz"s last night though, oh well, tonight is maybe going to be  better night,eh...

I think that light bulb potholder is in a book I have  too, just don'tknow which one right now, but I have seen it before, and of course I have one tht bgs sent me,llol,reminds me, it's still on the fridge,lol with a magnetic clippy thing,lol, been there I  think since I got it,kind of a last late reminder of Christmas past...lol

Do you all turn your granny squares, i don't,normally, unless it'a a bigger one,and then I might to prevent the wonkiness,but normally, grannys are worked in the round right,and to me that means,you don't have to turn,but the nature of the stitches, to make anything larger than say an 8 inch,might need to be turned every other row.Let me know what your thoughts are on this,Imean,who else to ask,but the grannysquare pros,lol right,.

seems this keyboard, doesn'tlike to keep up with me when I am typing faster, and I spend more time back spacing and hitting the space bar again, lol....Guess  i will slow down, sit up straight,and take it easy, or get a new keyboard, ha ha ha.

This one I have is sealed, nothing, dust or dirt is supposed to get in where the keys are, so I know it's not that, and it lights up, in four pretty colors, lololol So I guess it's just me typing too fast, lol......better now that I have slowed down a bit..

I used to type so fast, i could keep up with my boss's dictation, lol, he would be amazed that I could do that, ha ha,.

I never learned short hand, seemed to me to be on it's way out by the time i was ready for it, so skipped that dumb class, and took speed typing instead, ha ha ha.

Ok, what else, did you all see on the news, the man that was training an aligator, and it turned and bit his helper, my thoughts on this, if you put yourself in harms way, just makes it easy for harm to find you. right, duh!!

Oh aligators have their good side, the left side on my bag,and the right side on my feet!!! ha ha ha, bad joke,forgive me.. I don't wear furs either, lol don't get me started! lol

all for now, hope this finds you all in good moods, and hookin away by the light of the tv, and the setting sun!!!!! lol allfornow....  .

I don't turn my grannies but I guess I probably should on those really big ones so they don't get wonky... Oh well. I think having a backwards row here and there might drive me mental, so I just let them be a little wonky. I'm probably the only would who would notice either way really. 

Today turned out to be way more exciting than we had planned.  :reyes  DH and I headed out to Target to buy a wedding gift for a wedding we're going to this weekend, then went to Home Depot for a couple things- stain paint for a water stain, gloves and bolts to fix the exercise machine we have. We forgot the bolts we needed to replace, so back to the house and then to Lowe's because we just can't stand the attitudes of the people at our Home Depot. 

When we got home, we decided to try to figure out what's going on with my truck- the same one that was just towed for a flat tire and that just got home from the shop because it wouldn't run. It was making this funny noise when you tried to turn on vent or the AC and the last time I tried, I was on my way home from Sister's and it started smoking so I cut it right off. Anyway, today we had my dad on a video call so he could help since he's the expert. So he's telling us what to do and then tells me to try starting it and see if the noise is gone...  :( First time, no noise from the fan, no air blowing, no nothing... Second time... smoke. Lots and lots of smoke and a horrible squealing noise. Something in the engine caught on fire- not sure if it was a wire or a mouse nest or what. I went running in the house for water, came out, dumped that, went running back in and fell going up the brick stairs into the house.  :( DH finally got the hose and finally got the little fire out and the smoke gone and I called the tow truck AGAIN to come get the truck and take it back to the shop.  :ohdear We'll see what they say when they call about it tomorrow, but I'm worried because the truck is going on 30 years old and I'm afraid she's seen her best days. Dad said he's never heard a noise like it was making before and that's never a good sign! 

So needless to say, I'm exhausted and ready for bed. I did finish up the c2c last night but didn't get pictures today in the midst of disaster so hopefully tomorrow. I got some more grannies done to add to Katie's squares and I'm going to get another couple done for that tonight. 

Anyway I'm going to bed here shortly and starting over tomorrow!  :ghug

I've started turning my squares sometimes - I just read recently about the avoiding wonkiness, and for solid color squares it doesn't look weird. If I'm changing colors I probably wouldn't turn, unless a wrong side round was going to be the same color as the one before it, because the base of the stitch just looks too weird to me.

I have been looking for the light bulb pattern.  It is the Light Bulb Hot Pads designed by Kathleen Stuart. I printed it off in 2008 and I am guessing it was the free pattern in a Talking Crochet Newsletter.  katy it says it is Copyright 2002 Tis the Season to Crochet pages 16, 22-23 so that would be the book it was from.  Now it looks like it can be purchased here.   http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/light-bulb-hot-pads

oh that is it bgs, I don't recognize the book name I think the one i saw may be in a leisure arts pamphlet, or something,haven't had time to peruse through them yet, lol   thanks for that link, and for looking them up, Im imagining lots will go and buy it now that they have seen it done through your postings!! good job!

Archived