Share your Crochet warm and fuzzy stories!

I was reading the crochet Horror story thread and thought it would be nice to hear the other side.

I made a prayer shawl for a friend's girlfriend once. We had only met once before but I found out she had recently lost her dad to cancer. So, I made her the prayer shawl and was able to give it to her on Father's Day (the first without her dad).

She told me it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her and she could not wait to show it to her siblings.

I was very happy and blessed to have the shawl so well recieved

I have a friend who has a large family with lots of girls. a long time ago I had made an amigurumi for each of them. One girl I made a cute little cup with rosy cheeks and a smile. About a year later I was at their house and we were having tea. they have a certain shelf where each child has a special tea cup and there in the middle was that silly little crocheted cup I made. I guess her cup had gotten broken and she put the one I made her in its place. She said the shelf was for their favorite cup and that one was hers. May sound like such a simple thing but it meant a lot to me that she loved it.:manyheart

I also posted this under the horror stories to remind those that are really let down that more people really do appreciate their hard work than don't and that not everyone is cruel.

I don't really have any horror stories. I made an afghan for a friend whose daughter was born almost exactly one year after my son. Even after the girl could no longer use the afghan (16 years later) she still keeps it proudly displayed on her bed.

For another friend, I made a huge afghan in shades of purple and white. It would have fit more than a California king bed. My friend loved it and even though her new husband was as big a purple person as she was, they had it on their bed. Although it's been a few years since I've seen or talked to either of them I hope that they're still enjoying the afghan.

A person that I worked with out at Walmart some years ago asked if I could do a set with an afghan and two pillow covers. When it was done she thanked me profusely and promptly placed it on her bed. I happened to see her out shopping one day and asked her if the afghan was still okay. She told me that it was still on her bed and still being used. It apparently is only taken off during the summer months.

I guess I've just been lucky.

I have really only had the 1 horror story but have had many happy endings. I made an afghan one year it was one of my very first afghans it took me forever to make because I didn't work on it all the time a friend of mine told me she wanted it because she loved the color it was lt peach I kept telling her no I think Im gonna keep this one any way long story short my friend had a heart attack and I took it to her in the hospital she still has it on the back of the recliner to this day :)..

I've been crocheting blankets for needy newborns at our local hospital for several years and have used many different colors, as much of my yarn has been given to me, and I'd heard that the traditional baby colors aren't that popular any more. This summer, with the Sr. Center crochet group, I was working on a red blanket (one of 2) figuring that a couple of babies would be born around Christmas. One of the women scoffed at the color, not being a "traditional baby color". (See me ignoring her :angry) I took 6 blankets to the maternity ward last month and the nurses oohed and aahed over them, as usual.

An annual thank you letter from the hospital is sent to all who donated blankets and hats, and mine had the following handwritten note: "Carol - We loved the different colors you chose for some of your blankets". :lol

My daughter's boyfriend's mom asked me if I could finish her grandmothers afghan she was working on when she passed away so I said I would try, but it might look a little different because I am a leftie. Took me awhile but I got it done just in time for their X-mas party and gave it to them as a gift from my daughter. They all cried because it was their first Christmas without her.

A lady in my knitting group was admiring the little booties that I had made (knitted) and she was talking about a woman she knew that was having a baby girl. So I just gave them to her. She asked what she could pay for them and I said "How about a skein of yarn" and she brought me one. She gave the lady the booties, along with a hat she had made for her two year old. The woman loved the little booties.

When I was making them, I really didn't have a person in mind for them. I was just trying out a new pattern. I made two people happy with just a little pair of booties.

:manyheart

Another story that I have. My friend's daughter had been going through a lot of medical tests at the local hospital. Finally, they sent her to Children's Memorial in Chicago for some more testings. And this little girl was given a Project Linus blanket, made in purples. She loved it and still uses it when she's not feeling good. Project Linus really makes an impact on kids.

:manyheart

Thank you, ratdog, for starting this thread. I really have no stories, fabulous or horrible, probably because I have wonderful family and friends who generally love handcrafted items. Nothing stands out to me either way in my gifting. I love reading all these warm fuzzy tales!

I made Ana Paula Rimolis large baby from her 2nd book and was showing my friend the completed doll and a little granny square blanket I made to go with it. Anyway her little girl who is 2 came over and said "aww my baby" and snuggled it for a cuddle!! So obviously she had to have it and it now has pride of place on her bed. The baby is well loved and when I see her play with it, it makes my day!! I couldnt think of a better home for her.

I love reading these! I will share mine too. I come from a large family (8) and some of them don't care for my crocheting, especially my oldest sister. She doesn't think that they are "practical." Well, once she had three boys, she got sick and tired of her kitchen hand towel disappearing. She saw the one that Mom had with the crochet top and button and was like, I want one of those. I made one for her 4+ years ago and the last time that I saw it it was practically worn out! Talk about a great feeling when she is not into homemade stuff! (I should make more, but I really don't like making them)

My younger and youngest sister will take ANYTHING I make! I love doing stuff for them because they know how much work goes into them and will proudly display them even if they have mistakes!

Aw, nice stories, I guess my one warm and fuzzie, would be this year, when I heard via phone, how well recieved my special friends afghan was to her, the sunflower daisy afghan. She not only said, and I paraphrase here, that not only will she think of me, while using it, she will also say a very special prayer for me as well.....Hey, i need all the help I can get! Seriously, she was more than touched, and will treasure it forever! I love making her happy!

This is not crochet, but handmade. I cross stitched my mother-in-law a hummingbird picture over 15 years ago for christmas. My husband and I split over 10 years ago. The last time I was at her house, 2 years ago, she still had it hanging in her dining room in the same spot as it was when we split. It is wonderful that she appreciates the hours I spent on that bird.

I've made several baby afghans that the babies that received them have taken them everywhere. I've even had to make replacement blankies because they've worn them out. One wouldn't go to sleep without her blankie.

I made 2 round ripples for my yoga teacher and a girl in class. My teacher loved hers as she fell a few weeks ago and broke her knee. Sherry loves hers and is going to take it on the road with her husband. They were both so surprised.

A few years ago a friend asked if I could fix an afghan his sister made him. She made it when he was diagonised (sp) with cancer. I fixed it (his cat chewed a seam) and returned it 2 days later. Little did he know, he would die a week later.

I had found the pattern for the 'friendship shawl' (Caron) and have been looking at it since it came out. I found out that my mom's best friend (who we'd just been camping with that weekend) lost her grandbaby girl who was due to be born in 2 weeks (we got home from camping and they'd just called home). Her son, and his wife live in Sweden - we're in Canada. its almost impossible to get over there fast. I decided she needed a HUG. so I started making the friendship shawl. It took a while, a long while - I got confused and grumpy then didn't see her. In that time I also found out that her son's MIL had passed from cancer. So, a HUG was in order. She loved it and cried buckets, called her sons to tell them what I'd made.

I'm also working on a blanket for my youngest, she snuggles under it as I work. When its time to flip and work the next row - she moves to my other side. I found her like this

post-43421-135897614772_thumb.jpg

a happy snuggly moment.

I've made several baby afghans that the babies that received them have taken them everywhere. I've even had to make replacement blankies because they've worn them out. One wouldn't go to sleep without her blankie.

I "fantasize" about that happening with baby blankets I make; that's why I make them a little larger so that a toddler can use them.

I made an afghan and teddy bear for a baby shower and sent it with my mom (I couldn't go :() and she said eveyrone loved them. 2 young nieces of the mom to be wanted the bear, so I had to make them each one too. I sold a baby afghan to a co-worker once, she said the friend lost the baby (7 1/2 mos. :() They wrapped the baby in it for burial and she hoped I wasn't upset. What could I say :think? I also make blankets for Project Linus and those are always wanted.

Ellie 13

My recent crochet warm and fuzzy story happened just this past Wednesday! My son was born with a complete unilateral cleft lip and palate, and goes every week to a specialized orthodontist to have this plate to closes off his cleft palate and works to draw the two sides of the lip together. One day, I met another cleft mom and she commented on Peter's cute pumpkin hat that I had made. So, over the course of the week, I made her a hat for her little one. Then my husband and I got the idea to make hats for all of the cleft babies our orthodontist sees (now and hopefully in the future), just as a little "happy" from one cleft family to another. Our 2 year old helped pick out the colors from my stash.

Anyway, this brings us back to this past Wednesday. I was at the office with Peter, and another cleft mom and baby were in the office. The little baby was wearing the green and brown hat I had made! I was so excited to see that it was being used all these months later! I had a lovely conversation with the mom, and she still doesn't know that I made the hat. I LOVE it when you see something you made being used!

Oh, I did have to include a picture with this post as my little one is just too cute posing with some of the hats....:lol

post-19233-135897618815_thumb.jpg

My warm and fuzzy moment came on Thursday. We had gone to see my dad and stepmom and for Christmas, I made her a throw for her chair in her favorite hockey team colors, blue and white (go Leafs go). She had told me that the last game she had watched, they had lost 7-0. While I took a couple hours to go visit with my brother and his family, she watched the hockey game that night snuggled under her blankie. She said they won. She loves the blanket and that it brought her team good luck.

I love this thread. It is such a warm feeling when your efforts are appreciated. One memory that I cherish...I crochet baby things and sell them at military bases all over the country. The bases are like coming home for me as my husband is retired Navy and I am ex-Navy. A young couple came up to me and oohed and aahed over the things I had. They were expecting their first-a girl. They really wanted a pink gown to bring the baby home in. So I made them a set with the booties and hat. They were so sweet and I knew that baby was wanted and would be loved. They gave me a Thank You card with glowing compliments. That was six years ago. I still carry that card in my crochet bag.

I used to to crochet for the Ships Project, sending hats and other things to soldiers. The Ships Project website had photos of soldiers selecting their hats, slippers, and other things, as well as photos of them wearing them. In all the photos, they had huge smiles. It definitely gave me a warm, happy feeling.

On a more personal note, I design patterns, and seeing the finished projects on Ravelry that people have made using my patterns is a wonderful feeling. I recently found out that one of my patterns was used to make a garment sample for a yarn store in North Carolina, and was very flattered. It's a huge compliment to have my work thought that highly of.

I enjoy going to my Grandmother's house and seeing the afghan I crocheted for her and my Grandfather draped over the couch. She was the one who first taught me to crochet when I was about 10 years old. :)

I love hearing the comments I get when my kids wear hats I have crocheted for them. Almost every time I am out someone stops me to comment on their hats. I am almost embarrassed to say that they each have a collection, lol.

I sold a baby afghan to a co-worker once, she said the friend lost the baby (7 1/2 mos. :() They wrapped the baby in it for burial and she hoped I wasn't upset. What could I say :think?

As someone who has lost a child, this is the greatest compliment someone can give you. The ONLY way I was able to let my daughter go was because I knew she was surrounded by my love (I had made her entire outfit). And even if I had not made her outfit I would have wanted her wrapped in something handmade. The idea that each stitch was placed with love made my heart just a little less heavy.

Archived