Narrow escape at the LYS

I was in the LYS today. Just looking, you understand. Just browsing. Just saying hello to my ol' buddy, the LYS owner. All of a sudden, I heard this:

"Psst! Psst! Hey, lady! Yeah, you with the red hair! Over here!!"

I turned around and spotted a shelf full of skeins of Italian mercerised cotton, in luminescent colours, all spruced up and perky, shuffling to peek out over the edge of the shelf.

"Yeah, we're talking to you! Look at us! Aren't we pretty? Aren't we gorgeous?"

"Get lost!" I said firmly, and pretended to look at the cross-stitch frames.

"How can you not want us?"

"I have enough cotton." Non-chalant. "I don't need any more purple yarn."

"But I'm not purple, I'm aubergine! You don't have aubergine!"

"That's true, but I don't need aubergine."

"You need me!"

"No, I don't. You're purple, too."

"How dare you! I'm not purple, you noddy. I'm indigo. That's something entirely different."

"Well, I don't need purple or indigo or aubergine, thank you very much. Go torture someone else."

"How about lilac? I've been told that I'm a particularly fetching shade of lilac. Who doesn't need lilac yarn in their stash?"

At that moment the door of the LYS flew open and I grabbed the opportunity to make a run for it. As I was trying to squeeze past the customer coming in, all the little skeins of cotton were jumping up and down on the shelves shouting, "You're going to regret this! You're going to rue the day you didn't buy aubergine yarn! You're going to start a project tomorrow and are going to need indigo! Your stupid purple yarn won't cut the mustard! You need us! You neeeeeeeeeeeed ... !"

Those fiendish little balls of yarn really know how to tempt a soul, don't they? Good job I have a will of steel!!

[Whhhhyyyyyy didn't I buy that indigo cotton? Whhhhhhhhyyyyyy? Whhhhhhyyyyyyyy?!]

Oh man I am laughing so hard Tampa Guy asked me what was so funny.:rofl

I then proceeded to read :bookhim your post. Now the 2 of us are laughing.:rofl Thank you so much for the good laugh. I really needed it.

Oh yeah, and good job in resisting.:hook

OMGoodness, that was HILARIOUS! I loved every minute of reading that! Excellent story, and I'm SO proud of you for resisting the charms of those little skeins of cotton! Fiendish little things they are! And how they lie! They tell you that they're not addictive, but they ARE, oh they ARE!

:rofl:roflf

Great story and good for you using such restraint. But now it sounds as if the little demons have a stronghold in your mind. Hopefully they won't torture your soul and break down your will causing you to give in. But, hey, if you really need aubergine yarn, you need it.

Fiendish little devils. You are our hero for your stalwart courage in the face of the onslaught.

And maybe you should start a blog and start writing. While we love having your gifts to ourselves, you should share. But not if it takes you away from us and crocheting. There, I said it, selfish me.

Patty

You are too funny!! I can just see you talking to the yarn balls, and them jumping up and down. I now see your face, since I saw a pic of you in the this is me thread! My ex is Irish, we have a daughter with a wicked sense of humor, I presume she gets it from her Dad.....so I just love your humor!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! You made me Laugh out loud:lol:lol:lol and it felt great- you have a great way with words:yes

and good for you resisting- you are a stronger woman than I!!

:laughroll:sofunny:lol

I'm laughing so hard I'm in tears. That was hysterical.

Now, I've got to forward that to my mom. She doesn't have your willpower. I got her a magnet from Cafepress that said, "If Yarn were Meth, I wouldn't have teeth."

Oh, it's a new (well, new to me) Italian brand. I normally buy Schachenmayr Catania, which I love, love, love - it's like having a rainbow in your workbasket. But my LYS doesn't stock all the colours they offer. Before Christmas I was in the LYS and I saw the shelf stocked with new yarn and almost went weak at the knees. For a split second I actually understood how drug users feel, because I was going to fling my wallet on the counter of the LYS and shout "How many skeins can I buy for what I've got?" and then start stuffing my pockets with all the new colours! :lol:lol:lol

Anyway, all the little skeins were begging me - begging me - to take them home, but I contented myself with a skein of apple green. And that's the thing: this is pure apple green. This is the colour of a perfectly-ripe Granny Smith apple. It's absolutely gorgeous. And it would look just BEAUTIFUL next to a skein of plum purple. Awwwww, maaaaaaaaan! I really have to resist! I have bags of yarn everywhere and this year I really have to start using what I have already :(

I might be able to get around it, though. The yarn is so nice that my sister in Ireland wants some as well, so I might be able to buy stuff for her. I'll get the rush of teh sale, be able to pet the colours, take them home and (hopefully) post them. Or maybe not. (Haha)

:rofl:rofl:rofl Thanks for the laughs today! Your story was too precious for words. As for me, I would have caved in and bought the yarn....at least one skein in each color :lol. You do have strong will power. I wish I did!

Archived