Which do you prefer? Poll

Which do you prefer when you make a afghan? you can mark more than one!  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer when you make a afghan? you can mark more than one!

• Do you prefer your item to be tight stitches?
    • Do you prefer stretchy?
    • Do you prefer one pattern throughout?
    • Do you prefer lacy?
    • Do you prefer motifs?

I was wondering which you prefer when you make afghans?

Do you like your work to be stretchy, so you use a larger hook?

Do you like your work to be tight?

Do you like the lacy look?

Do you like using just one pattern per piece?

Do you like to make motifs?

When I do an afghan, I like one general pattern for the afghan and then a seperate one for the border. I very seldom use the same border that is shown on the pattern. It's my way to put my personality into it.

I don't like motifs, grannies or other piecework because I don't like to weave in thousands of ends.

:manyheart

When I do an afghan, I like one general pattern for the afghan and then a seperate one for the border. I very seldom use the same border that is shown on the pattern. It's my way to put my personality into it.

I don't like motifs, grannies or other piecework because I don't like to weave in thousands of ends.

:manyheart

DITTO.

I tend to like one general pattern, because then it's easier to take along and work on in public. Also, it's easier to do it and watch TV.

However, I do like more challenging patterns...but usually those are my early morning patterns (when everyone else is asleep and I have some quiet time).

I'm another one pattern throughout person all those pesky little ends drive me crazy

For the most part I like one pattern throughout, although there are some motif pattern afghans that I think are beautiful, but don't know if I'd ever have the patience to finish one.

I don't like putting squares, etc. together. I haven't made an afghan (or anything else) that requires it to be put together in many years. I found a pattern of squares with butterflies on it and decided to make it. I have all the off white ones done and I've started over 4 times on the blue, I can't get them the same size as the off white ones.:eek:think. Hopefully I'll finally get the right size hook and get them done.

I have all the off white ones done and I've started over 4 times on the blue, I can't get them the same size as the off white ones.:eek:think. Hopefully I'll finally get the right size hook and get them done.

I found this with the 63 Squares afghan. I ended up having to use totally different sized hooks to do different colors. In some instances, within the same color there was a difference, due to the stitch pattern. I think I ranged between G to J.

When working on a afghan I prefer the same pattern throughout. This way i can relax and do it in front of the tv without having to pay total attention to it. Right now my favorite is the RR.

I get bored with afghan pretty quickly, so I would like it if it changed either colors or patterns or something. And no way could I do a whole afghan in sc. Oh man. I did one with a triple stitch... and my toes poke through but it's surprisingly warm. I like that one.

I had a hard time with that question since I like variety in my afghans. I do a lot for charity and for personal gifts so I am always trying out different stitches and patterns. Currenly, I am working on a 30 square patchwork afghan made of different front and back post stitches. A lot depends on who the afghan is to be given to.

LI Roe

I like doing panels more than squares. I made a beautful afghan for my close friend when she ahd her baby in February. For that one I took a squre pattern form the 63 Square pattern book and extended it and 8 made rectangles. Then I bordered them all and put them all together and did the final border around the blanket. I like doing one piece blankets when I am cold because then it keeps me warm as I go. I Say this about every blanket I make a baby, but I think it was the most beautiful one I ever made! :clap

Great thread, Vonnie

Take it from a "user" (not a maker). I think there should be afgahns for all seasons, the key being warmth. For a little chill in the air, out on the porch on a summer evening... something loose and holey. Heavier, tighter for colder conditions.

To me, the crochet work is a bit like fine woodwork.... I like to see the joinery and the grain. In crochet, to me, that translates just perfectly in the stitches and the yarn.

I like to see a little of the maker in the work, regardless of the pattern... in fact if the pattern is really complicated and forced, I think there's a tendency to loose a little of the maker's soul in the distraction of the piece if you get my drift.

To me there can be amazing beauty in simplicity.

I tend to get tired of same color/same stitch. I like texture and color.

So it is squares, strips, shapes and variety for me.

But I also HATE weaving in ends, so I don't do many afghans, perhaps 4 or 5 a year.

Mainly for scrap ghans.

I love motifs. I generally use only one colour and motif per ghan but I have done "one plus alternate" as well. :yes

Now that I have perfected the Continuous join I am in like flint. :wlol

I have developed the will power to tidy every square when I finish it and it makes it so much better when you get to the end. :cheer

I like one pattern thru the entire afghan so I can sit in front of the tv and do it without too much thought. I do, however like to change colors every so often, but it depends on who I'm making the afghan for.

I don't even mind using my favorite pattern over & over again using different yarns. Each time, the yarn makes it come out different- depending on color- solid, verigated, baby, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer to use the correct hook for the yarn that I'm using. It doesn't really matter if the pattern is open or closed. I just don't want my stitches to snag because I used a hook that was too big for the yarn.

I absolutely hate sewing things together so I try to avoid doing squares or motifs.

I like to make one piece afghans. :yes I tend to crochet tight, but like to try all sorts of different patterns. I never got into "squares" or motifs. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some beautiful work done in squares. But there is something about making 100 5" squares, motifs, etc. that seems so daunting to me. Someone, on here, posted it quite well when they said, this is a hobby afterall, so why not do what you enjoy doing! :D

I prefer to do one stitch afghans, I like making squares to send to someone else to join. I like a loose pattern with a large hook so it can be done faster. I get bored with long projects.

I voted the same pattern throughout, although I've done a few with squares. My last ghan was all sc but I don't think I'll do that again for a while. It took a long time to finish. My favorite ghan has to be the Round Ripple. I've done 2 of them so far & want to do another soon.

• 1 year later...

I use afghans as my 'zen thing' to decompress from the stress to my life, so I use one continuous pattern. Also I hate the weaving in of the ends *makes not to look up continuous join*. BUT I get bored of looking at the same color time after time, so I usually choose a variegated yarn or I crochet two threads together to get a heathered color.

Archived