What Do you use when your crochet bag isnt big enough?

Donna G

Ok just wondering what does everyone uses to carry your crochet projects in when your project gets to big to fit in your crochet bag?

I spend a lot of time taking my sister inlaw to doctors appointments which means I spend a lot of time waiting in waiting rooms crocheting. My problem is my afghan has gotten to big to carry in my crochet bag.

So this made me start wondering what everyone else uses when your project gets to big for your crochet bag.:think

Hubby has a duffle bag but it is to ugly to take out in puplic lol.:blush

Any suggestions???

Donna

Once a project gets too large to carry I leave it at home to work on and then start another.

I also have one project (now it a lapghan) that I leave in the car ONLY for those times I need it for. It will take a long time to finish it, but I work on it only at the Dr office, car repair shop, Dentist office, etc. - anywhere that I feel I might need to wait.

With all this going on I don't get bored of any of them.

I do the same as Arlinka does. Once a project gets unwieldy, it stays at home.

I like to keep small projects in the car: a scarf, or something similarly easy to work on, and take with me. I don't take thread projects out and about, because I need to concentrate more, and be sure of very good lighting. Simple, small yarn projects are the ones that qualify for on-the-go projects.

Best of luck to you!

I also leave it home if it is too large and bulky. Then I take another project with me. I always have multiple projects going on at the same time so I just grab any one of them and off I go.

LI Roe

I like to get the 'really' big gift bags. They are usually made of strong paper and have handles. I just carry that, and with it having a flat bottom, I can sit it on the floor beside where I am sitting, and work on my project.

You can get the bags in pretty much any size you need and there are a lot of colors etc to choose from!

What about those new XL ziploc bags?

Those are awesome! I use those to pack up the finished afghan when I'm going to give it as a gift, and then put it in one of those giant gift bags. I also use those for storing afghans (ex. Christmas or other holiday ones).

Most coverlets, quilts and comforters are sold in big clear sturdy plastics "bags" and they zip. They are large enough to hold all of the supplies needed for one project. And as the yarn gets low and the project gets bigger it will still all fit. And another bonus is the bag doesn't go in the trash- :clap

Shelley

I have found off-white heavy-duty canvas laundry bags in craft depts, that were made to be decorated, but this is a great bag for my 'huge' projects. Only downside is that it IS white which shows dirt, but it could be dyed any color, and is machine washabe.

This time of year, beach bags are coming out, some of hose are huge.

And also, like someone else has suggested, the big zippered bags that bedding comes in.

I also leave my projects home when they get too big. the good thing is that i don't many "big" things such as full sized afghans. I have been mainly making scarfs for christmas and baby blankets for our family baby boom. Six blankets last year and 3 so far this. I have a large open tote bag that i call my "waiting" bag. it contains my current project, snacks, water, book, my gameboy, and such. that way if i'm "waiting" with a granchild i can keep them busy too.

• 4 weeks later...

When an afghan gets too big, then it's time for it to stay home. That give me time to work on new smaller, carry-along projects.

I do have a nice tote that I store it in as I work on it at home. Keeps it clean and out of the way.

:manyheart

When it gets too big and bulky, I leave it home and bring another project to do. I always have multiple projects going, and sometimes I will bring two smaller ones, if one is almost finished.

LI Roe

I have found off-white heavy-duty canvas laundry bags in craft depts, that were made to be decorated, but this is a great bag for my 'huge' projects. Only downside is that it IS white which shows dirt, but it could be dyed any color, and is machine washable.

This time of year, beach bags are coming out, some of hose are huge.

And also, like someone else has suggested, the big zippered bags that bedding comes in.

Look in the sporting goods department for the laundry bags that you use for camping; they come in various sizes and are usually darker colors. They are usually machine washable.

I currently just use my normal canvas totebag. It's stiff and has a flat bottom so I throw all my "stuff" in it and go.

I have been using a Walmart grocery bag no not the plastic kind ....

Usually when I'm not working on my project ( say afghan for instance) I fold it so it fits in the bag easier... A beach bag even works too. ;)

Joann's has some green shopping bags for $1.00 that are a lot bigger than the ones at the grocery store or Walmart.

I upgrade to a nylon duffel bag with a solid bottom. However, lately I have been working on baby things, so a small tote bag seems to be plenty. I don't start afghans until September, so I'm usually home with them.

I have saved those zip up plastic cases that new bedding or curtains come in. I always end up giving the afghan in the case though!

Ditto. I also picked up some larger zip bags at dollar store. They call them sweater bags, but they are just right for a folded up afghan. They were 2 for 1$.

Archived