lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

My Mom taught me how to crochet in 1975 setting across the table from me and showing me three stitches, chain, single and double crochet. The rest I learned on my own. My Mom passed away two years ago and I carry her set of needles in my crochet bag just so I can feel her near to me.

My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was a child. I worked at it off an on through the years. About 2 years ago I decided I was going to learn to use patterns (I had only made a couple of items with patterns before). I also determined to learn thread crochet. A few months ago I made my first doily. This is the most successful year I have ever had in crochet.

• 3 weeks later...

I choose family/friend.. but I first got a book at walmart.. and having a learning disability. sometimes written directions seem like another language to me. I figured out the hole Chain stich... but for the life of me couldnt figure how from there.. My progects would curl and twist and just look plain awful.

One day while at my BFF's grandma's house (praticaly my G-may too) She's been my BFF 16 yrs . Well anywho.. I was sitting on her sofa and noticed a WIP on the back of the sofa n i askd Grandma.. OHHH can up plz show me what im doing wrong... she said sure.. next time u come over.. bring your stuff and we will see what your doing.

SO i did and she showed me how to do it. after that First actualy hands on exzample the rest of this book make sence to me and i could do the rest from it.

of course I did not think to ask "Grandma" how to read a pattern lol.

My grandmother taught me 37 years ago when I was 10 years old. She only made doilies with steel hooks and tiny,tiny thread, so that's the only thing I knew how to make until 7th grade Everyday Living class. That's where I learned the rest.

I was taught to crochet by a friend of a family member when I was 15 yrs old. She was making little afghan squares and I was so intrigued and asked her how to do that. She patiently showed me how to do the little afghan square and its been go ever since. I've just gone on from there!

My grandmother first taught me to crochet holding the hook like a pencil. About a year later I experienced a broken thumb. Unable to use a pencil hold my mother retaught me to crochet holding the hook like a knife, so I learned to crochet twice.

I taught myself how to crochet. When I was a little kid I used to try to read a crochet book in order to learn but it seemed a foreign language:lol....LOL so I tried again when I was 16. I managed to do a single crochet and later on I got a "How-to" book and learned then.

My grandmother taught me granny squares when I was seven, that's all I knew for years. We lost grandma to lung cancer when I was 13, so she never got a chance to teach me to read a pattern or anything. Then earlier this year, I decided I wanted to learn more and bought a book to learn sc, hdc and tc which I ended up passing along to a friend who wanted to learn, she didn't teach herself to crochet, but her hubby did! I still have a ton to learn, but I'm getting there, I have a wonderful friend and helper in the volunteer organization who has loaned me some books of stitches and patterns as well as always being there when I have a question about something. :)

More than one answer applies to me,lol. I got my first lesson when I was going to the doctor when expecting my first child (she is 21 now). A lady I didn't know was working on a baby blanket in the waiting room. She showed me the basic stitch she was doing gave me a hook and a small ball of yarn. I practiced that day while waiting, and went to kmart afterwards and bought some pink and blue yarn and then proceeded to make my first blanket. I made one for my second child and several nieces and nephews in the next couple of years. Got burn out, found plastic canvas and then stopped crocheting. I picked it back up again when I wanted to learn to make dishcloths because my fil had some he bought from a fellow teacher in the school he worked for (I wanted to purchase them but she retired and moved to Florida before I got a chance). What I didn't know at the time was the dishcloths were knitted, so I eventually had to learn that as well, lol.

I picked a dishcloth (crochenit) pattern book that was on clearance at walmart, and in the process of trying to figure it out, my daughter (the 21 year old) saw a pattern in a quick and easy crochet magazine that I had gotten a subscription for years earlier that she liked and wanted me to make for her. I looked at those books over and over again, and didn't really connect with it. I watched demonstrations on "Needlearts Studio" on pbs, found the Coats and Clark learn to crochet cd rom, found Annie's Attic, Crochetville and the rest is history.

Taught myself how to crochet, back in the early 70's, from a book.

I went to K-Mart and looked for something I thought I could do.

I wanted to do knitting but I thought I might not be able to handle 2 needles and 1 needle looked easier so that's what I picked.

I was right about the 2 needles because I never have been able to learn how to knit. My stitches are way too tight.

And I'm too old now to learn anything new. I have enough hobbies anyway, with crocheting and painting.

I became disabled in May 2007. It wasn't pleasant coz' there's a lot of pain, :( but at first I thought I could just read ( I have a gazillion books) :book and watch t.v.. I do plastic canvas too and I was doing that. After a while, I was bored with reading and plastic canvas, and puzzle books. I was SO bored, I felt like I would go nuts! :loco So I bought one of those "crochet in a day" books. I already had yarn, and I figured if I couldn't learn, I wasn't really out anything, coz' I could use the yarn for plastic canvas. At first, I was discouraged coz' it just didn't seem to look right. But the more I did, I saw that it was looking like it was supposed to and I could actually see that I was making stitches. The first thing I made was a blanket for my little grandson, who was only a year old then. He turned 3 in June. He loves the Wubbzy show and I bought a pattern book with the 3 main characters. I made him Wubbzy and Widget. I am working on Walden, but I am stuck. Can't figure out his arms. My Grandmom crocheted all the time (and at lightning speed). She crocheted so fast it was unbelievable. I don't know where my brain was back then, why I never had her teach me.:think My mom recently found some crochet hooks of my grandmom's and she gave them to me. They are always with me and when I get stuck I think of her (she is in Heaven now).:angel It helps me relax, and then I can figure out the problem. Didn't mean for this to be this long, I just started yakking away. But, that's it. Now I crochet all the time. It's been months since I've done any plastic canvas. :heart:crocheting:heart

My aunt used to crochet all the time and I would watch her with my mouth opened ever time wishing I could crochet ...I was only 8 yrs old and then one day My aunt hands me a bag with some yarn and a hook and askes me if I`d like to learn ! well I was soooo sooo happy ...I picked it up fast and have never put my needle down since then .

• 1 month later...

My mum taught me. If ever Im stuck or having problems with a pattern, I can take it to her. I only started to read patterns this year, so mum and I are having fun swopping different patterns.

• 3 weeks later...

My Mother taught me sc and dc when I was about 13. I never did anything with it until I was 24 after I had my 3rd child. I taught myself everything else with the help of pattern books. I have made my own patterns for doll clothes and small accessories...never 2 the same because I just do as I go. I love crochet, it relaxes me and I love giving items made just for that person.

• 1 month later...

I injured my right hand at work about 25 years ago. The surgeries left me with literally half a hand (thumb, index finger, and middle finger). Not just two fingers lost but all the muscle and tissue from the right side of my right hand. Also had all the bones in my wrist crushed with three fragments fused together with three metal links. My thumb and index finger could not move and were frozen about 3 inches apart. Had always done embroidery in the past but couldn't pick up the tiny needle. Started teaching myself to crochet using a fat hook so that I could "create" craft and the whole enterprise became good therapy for me. I now enjoy embroidery again, quilting, sewing, and crocheting. I have learned that the only handicap we really have is an "I can't" attitude.

My boss back in the early 1980's. She taught be to make a basic granny square consisting of Chain, Single Crochet and Double Crochet....the basics. I was very bored with Granny Squares and lost interest and put it down. It wasn't until the winter of 1989, December, when I picked it up again. I was trying to quit smoking. I started out trying to make doilies on my own. I took a hook and thread everywhere I went, even into restaurants. I used yarn in the car. I would place the yarn and hook in the loop on my lap when I left to where ever I was going. WHen I stopped, I picked it up and did a couple of stitches at stop signs, traffic lights, traffic jams. I made basic double crochet scarves for everyone that year.

I truly wish my Great-Grandmother would have taught me years ago when I was younger, in the 1970's, when I was 10-20 yo. I asked her but she said I was too young and would lose interest. I really wanted her to teach me to make doilies. I'm sure Gram is up there watching me make all the doilies that I have and I think she is probably wishing she would have taught me. Everytime I make one, I thinnk of her making the doilies when I was little. I'm sure she is happy that I can do something that she did and loved to do. But, it would have really meant so much to me if she would have taught me.

I had a friend of our family give me a 10 minute lesson in tatting. It was something she wanted to do for me before she died (she had brain cancer). Nelly hopped in her car and drove from North Carolina to Pennsylvania to make my stop one of her destinations on her final plans. I was so upset after she left, I couldn't put the Tatting together. I have yet been able to figure it out. I'm hoping one day I can find someone that can help me with that so that I can fullfil her dream of having me be able to Tatt.

I was taught at school (at about 8 years old), just the basics but enough to get started. I think I've been crocheting ever since, learning new stitches and methods as I go along.

I'm self-taught too.

My late grandmother tried to teach me to crochet when I was a small kid but she wasn't really into crocheting and only knew how to chain stitch and slip stitch.

Last year I discovered amigurumi and bought my first hook and tried to slip stitch around instead of sc *sigh* internet helped me sooooo much.