So tell me~do you crochet really fast?

And how long did it take you to increase your speed? Did you consciously work at it, or did it come naturally? As I shared earlier, I've now been crocheting for a year. I haven't at all concentrated on speed and am probably *definitely* slower than most of you~and while I'm thinking I always will be, I can also see lots of improvement. I remember a granny square taking me all day, and a hat taking me a couple of days. Now I can make two grannies or two hats in a day!

So do tell me~how fast are you? (((((HUGS))))) sandi

i haven't seen how many stitches per minute i can do, but i guess i'm average speed.

sometimes if i'm in a hurry i can go faster, or if i'm listening to "angry music" i tend to subconsciously speed up lol.

i tend to multitask when i crochet as well, so maye that slows me down. like if i'm just sitting down to make something like, a hat, it will take about an hour and a half. but if i'm on AIM or soemthing it will take 3 hours.

I can crochet pretty fast. I got half a round ripple afghan done (A little larger than lapghan size) in about about 3 hours using a "I" crochet hook and I can make a beanie with a size "G" hook in about an hour (but one time I was going really fast and made one in 45 mins).

Julee

Nope, not me. But I think part of that has to do with the way I hold my yarn. I've tried other ways, but I just can't acclimate. I wish I could, but it's probably best that I don't crochet faster. I'd probably have some pretty sore wrists.

People tell me I crochet fast--that would be of course with something like a dc or hdc or sc blanket or g-square that you can really fly on....I think it just comes with having done it for so long. Honestly, I can say I'm a pretty fast knitter tho!

I'm a pretty fast knitter too. My old boss was certain she needed to teach me continental knitting before she saw me knit but as soon as she saw that I was pretty fast she decided that I'd be ok just regular ole knitting (but I already knew that though).

Julee

Well, you guys know I'm pretty fast. (At least with the crochet hooks lolol)

I did practice for speed. I used to do speed drills. I picked a plain old boring dc ghan and worked speed drills for the whole thing. Did the same thing with a granny square rect ghan.

I made hubby's blankie in black, in the dark watching tv at Moms house one time we went to visit. That was the black/white granny rect.

It's really amazing how much you can accomplish when you set your mind to it. After working on those blankets - I don't think about crocheting fast. I just do it that way now.

If you want to try some speed drills - pick a color, chain the length of the ghan (about 6 feet) and get your first few rows done. Then start paying attention to how fast you're going. Really focus on what you're doing. Work it and pretty soon you'll get the muscle memory down. By the time you're done with the ghan you won't even have to look at your work while you're doing it.

You work on the long end so you don't have to worry about stopping and turning your work so often.

I read somewhere that Lily Chin was the fastest crocheter on record. She can do 68 dc's in 2 minutes! I'm no where near that but it certainly explains how she can pump out so many designs! That's what inspired me to work faster.

Am more of a threadie so not so fast as it can be a bit fiddly. But, if I'm doing a blankie then I seem to get faster as I'm doing it!

All I can say is that I'm faster than I used to be...but I have seen women crochet and you just see their fingers flying. Not me! LOL....Crocheting is relaxation for me and I always take my time and most of the time I'm creating a pattern while crocheting although I never write it down lol. If I follow a pattern, I usually feel like its a task and that tends to slow me down a little. I want it to match the picture in the pattern which does not always happen.

I think I just crochet...I dont pay attention to no speed or what ever...I think Id rather get it done right and not have to frog for going to fast and skip stitches or whatever....I frog enough crocheting at the speed I do...lol(which is not very fast at all and ive been crocheting for over 10 yrs)

I have never counted. My speed depends on many things, how I feel, what I'm working on, how distracted I am, just to name a few.

I did once make a baby blanket, 150 stitches across (double crochet) and 60 rows in two days because I procrastinated too long and the baby shower was almost here, so I had to hurry. My hands hurt for months afterwards, though, and I couldn't crochet another thing, so I have not done nor will I ever do it again.

It does get easier with time. The more you use a certain stitch, the faster it will go. I can double crochet much faster than single, haven't yet figure out triple, so that one would be very slow and cumbersome. Lately, though I'm very slow since health problems have arisen and make my arms and hands ache more frequently than not.

However, speed isn't nearly as important as just getting the project finished. I find the sheer act of finishing anything to be the biggest challenge, whether it be crochet or some other project of a different sort. :P

I think I can go fairly quick sometimes, but it depends on what I'm doing. Like some of the others have already said, if you're doing something more complicated, like a lace stitch or something, it can slow you down. Especially if you have color changes and whatnot to add to it.

But like right now, I'm alternating between a sweater for myself and a lace scarf for my Mom's Christmas present. When I'm working on my sweater? I go pretty darn fast. But it's all HDC. So once you get into the groove, so to speak, you're off and running. The lace scarf is going pretty quickly as well, but that has more to do with how open it is. Not to mention the fact that it's a LOT smaller! :lol If I was doing an entire garment in that lace, I'm sure it would take me a lot longer than the HDC one I'm working on now.

I'd say I'm probably average. I can crochet what I think is pretty fast, but it's too hard on my hands and wrists that way. I know I won't complete projects as quickly as people who crochet real fast, but I don't want to not be able to do it at all.

Many times "crochet" is a filler for me. I don't feel that I am a FAST crocheter. I squeeze working on crochet projects into corners of my day. Once in a great while I'll actually find myself with a couple of hours freed up to simply crochet and it's heaven. My crocheting is more methodical than speedy. I like to watch the pattern begin to appear and reappear on larger items. My "tactile" persona comes out as I hold the project, touch the different stitches and enjoy "squishing" or "smoothing" the yarn work. Smaller projects (doilies, bookmarks, artwork) tend to slow me down a little bit more because I hate to "frog" so I am extra careful about the stitching knowing that thread work shows more mistakes. I guess it is that maxim about "It's not the destination but the journey" that makes me happy. :crocheting

Not sure how fast I go, but I've managed to impress my fiance when he tries to watch me work. I almost always am using double crochet, and work fastest when I'm making a plain blanket, but I've been doing a couple of starghans and they work up quickly too. :)

I have never timed myself or thought to check the clock after doing something - but I am pretty sure I am a slow poke! In fact, I may be the slowest poke of all! :)

I gain speed once I decide I am doing something correctly though - but my "moving faster" isn't really the same thing as being fast. :lol

Archived